The Daily for Sunday 01/16/2022

richwmn

Well over an hour delayed due to nasty weather at FLL. Made it to Detroit and a helper literally RAN all the way to the next leg.

The aircraft closed 5 minutes before and they gave away our 1st row, 1st class seats.

The agent said they could not reopen the doors. I went to the window and waved at the pilots. They waved back. I gave them prayer hands. They asked the agent what was up. She said we were late due to delayed flight from FLL.

Captain told her to open the doors and let us in! Since there was juggling around since they gave away our seats, we got our seats back and the stand by people were relocated.

Thank you Lord!!

• Like 37

1 minute ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Well over an hour delayed due to nasty weather at FLL. Made it to Detroit and a helper literally RAN all the way to the next leg.

The aircraft closed 5 minutes before and they gave away our 1st row, 1st class seats.

The agent said they could not reopen the doors. I went to the window and waved at the pilots. They waved back. I gave them prayer hands. They asked the agent what was up. She said we were late due to delayed flight from FLL.

Captain told her to open the doors and let us in! Since there was juggling around since they gave away our seats, we got our seats back and the stand by people were relocated.

Thank you Lord!!

Wow! That's great the Captain told them to open the doors. Smart of you to connect with the pilots that way.

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Thank you Lord!!

wonderful story.  Pays to pray and glad the pilots saw and requested them to open doors.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, marshhawk said:

@grapau27 Thank you so much for posting this mornings sermon.  I hope that you can do this for us every Sunday, if it's not too much bother.  If I ever get back to England, I want to meet this minister.

You are very welcome.

I am happy to oblige.

Father David did the funeral services of Pauline's mam and dad and my mam and dad and is a good friend of ours.

Our church is on my Avatar.

Graham.

• Like 12

Next Sunday, if all goes well, we should be sailing away on Rotterdam VII.  When we disembark on January 29th,  we will transfer, somehow, to Sky Princess for an additional 7 days at sea.  This will be the largest ship we’ve ever sailed!

• Like 17

We are expecting 14 inches in Pittsburgh.  Hopefully our DSIL will be able to make it tomorrow the 2 miles to our house with his snow blower. We were able to get in a 5 mile walk before the snow started - it was chilly - in the 20’s!!  Stay safe in the storms. 

• Like 17

58 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Thank you Lord!!

The power of prayer!  So glad the pilot saw you praying, and that you got your first class seats again.  Can you imagine what the stand by people thought??

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, marshhawk said:

I loved your cartoon by the way, I copied it and sent it to my boss, and my temporary boss (Hollywood Bowl).

Hollywood Bowl!!!!

Mrs, XBGuy and I have been regular attendees (pre-pandemic) for decades.  Of course, the major benefit for me is that Mrs. XBGuy is a championship caliber picknicker.  I dug up these pics from deep within my PC's archive.

This looks like a shrimp platter.

1628482914_20130718BowlPics002.thumb.jpg.ae603843840cccf699d8ee116368133b.jpg

Wines.  We must have been joined by people for this particular evening.  I recognize the Cuvaison, the Mauritson and the Beringer as wines that might have come from my inventory, but that other one does not ring a bell, at all.

1755931774_20130718BowlPics001.thumb.jpg.c4b52b037bad0d96f94d6b3c67c39a3f.jpg

Mrs. XBGuy almost always has a fruit and cheese course.

62545322_20130718BowlPics004.thumb.jpg.2bb7bcdccd49b5309cc85e868c522daa.jpg

Dessert.  Oh, boy.  I remember those homemade peanut butter cups.

1852038558_20130718BowlPics005.thumb.jpg.a05ab22a7bee9f908d9e461eef2e05a0.jpg

Just to prove that we also go for the concert.

1851368548_20130718BowlPics010.thumb.jpg.bee9974b731e0089a92bd8a2ace38e30.jpg

Yeah, we usually sit up in the nosebleed section.

55 minutes ago, marshhawk said:

@XBGuy Thanks for that, it was beautiful!  That is what I call an organ!  It's huge.  When the Atlanta ASO performs this piece, they roll out an organ to play.  Not the same effect.

I've been binging (bingeing?) on organ ,music since I posted above.  I saw that there was a transcription of the entire Organ Symphony performed by Jonathon Scott.  It was very cool.  So, I just did did a YouTube search on Jonathon Scott.  While I am typing this I am listening to "Pictures at an Exhibition."

• Like 20

@XBGuy I really appreciated not only listening to but watching that symphony performance.  Even with my hearing aids and small speakers attached to my computer, it sounded great!

An update on my previous post about fog and drone pictures.  The fog stuck around all day and I talked to the photographer this afternoon.  She said that you couldn't see the water thru the fog and she would be happy to come back and retake them.  Spoke to the realtor and he agreed that we shouldn't try to sell a view property if we can't show the view.  So we will try again in a day or two.

Ray

• Like 15

2 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

What a wonderful pilot! He deserves something wonderful .

Hope you are now home safe and relaxed after your voyage.

Thank you all for your messages of support for the Mohs procedure tomorrow. Appreciate it.  A very early morning for me.

Thanks to everyone

Charlene

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, srdancer said:

@mamaofami have you tried calling the Jewish Family Service? They might have some recommendations.

That's a very good idea. I had been working with an elder care case worker and I called her today. She happened to be vacationing in Hawaii and answered my call. She gave me the name of another agency to try and although it's Sunday, they called me back and said they have at least 5 live in helpers available and will meet with their team and have someone here Tuesday. I've asked my daughter to be here when this man has to leave. He's very big and tall and has a temper, although when my daughter arrived he was all sweetness. He even apologized to me. There has to be an end to this aide nightmare and I'm hopeful for Tuesday.

• Like 19

@XBGuy  I am loving your pictures.  I get the concept of Hollywood Bowl, we have something like that in Atlanta, called (well it was called ) Chastain amphitheater.  Do you have any pictures of seating?  That what i need to see before our next training class tomorrow.  I am being trained by folks who have never been there, or those who are more impressed by what it is, and what is happening, than what seats are good, and that's what I need to know.  When you say nosebleed, are you talking about the bench seating?  Is there a back to the bench seating?  I always say God puts in your life exactly what you need at exactly the right time.  I need information, and here you are, my wealth of information.

Thank You.

And Yes, I love Pictures at an Exhibition.  My DH and I refer to it as our song.  Holzt's the Planets is another one, I never get tired of,

Edited by marshhawk
  • Like 13

It;s a warm sunny summer Monday, temperature 23 C.

To those of you in the snow, hope that conditions will soon improve.

Thanks for all the Daily information.

@Seasick Sailor very fortunate that the pilot saw you, and let you board the plane, a true gentleman.

@cunnorl best wishes for the MOHS tomorrow.

@smitty34877 good that Tana's son could visit again.

@mamaofami good luck with replacing the present aide.

Stay safe, take care everyone.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Thank you Lord!!

Joy I can so picture you doing this!  And good that you were able to get your original seats back. 

You deserve a day off after your full day of traveling. I hope you are able to relax when you get home. Did you arrange for someone to pick you up at the airport?

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, marshhawk said:

@XBGuy  I am loving your pictures.  I get the concept of Hollywood Bowl, we have something like that in Atlanta, called (well it was called ) Chastain amphitheater.  Do you have any pictures of seating?  That what i need to see before our next training class tomorrow.  I am being trained by folks who have never been there, or those who are more impressed by what it is, and what is happening, than what seats are good, and that's what I need to know.  When you say nosebleed, are you talking about the bench seating?  Is there a back to the bench seating?  I always say God puts in your life exactly what you need at exactly the right time.  I need information, and here you are, my wealth of information.

Thank You.

And Yes, I love Pictures at an Exhibition.  My DH and I refer to it as our song.  Holzt's the Planets is another one, I never get tired of,

Wow.  I don't know how much I can help you  @marshhawk.

Here is a picture from our seats at that same concert.

723423765_20130718BowlPics019.thumb.jpg.a116838afaa5e98722e77bab068fd282.jpg

By "nosebleed" I mean pretty high up--nowhere near the stage.  For a couple of septuagenarians, it is quite a hike to get up there.  Off to the left you can see the big screen (there are three more strategically placed) so that the figures on the stage can be shown to be real people.  The Hollywood Bowl is not an intimate venue.  It is huge.  It seats an audience of 18,000.

Here is a diagram I found by Googling "Hollywood Bowl Seating."

8267_thumbnail-1024.thumb.jpg.d39c8214243deb60db333e2bdac02ade.jpg

Those seats where I snapped the pic were located in Section P3.  As you can see there is still a significant number of seats behind where we were.

Yes, most of the seats are wooded benches with backs.  They do sell cushions for a couple bucks.  Sometimes we get them and sometimes we don't.

The areas marked "Boxes" have folding chairs (and removable tables for picnicking),

The area labeled "Super Seats" are, in fact, indivual seats that have separations.  You can get an idea of them from this pic that I also Googled

imooxoxoxoages.jpg.f1b53cf00ae688d78712e18eb731af6c.jpg

I hope this has been helpful.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, AncientWanderer said:

@Horizon chaser 1957, your gingerbread manor house is wonderful!  It would be great to hear an update on how your Christmas cake turned out.  We discussed "suet" over the holidays.  Was it good?

Thanks for asking. The Christmas pudding made with real, fresh, butcher’s suet was wonderful! It tasted exactly like I remember my mother’s Christmas puddings tastings. It was a big hit with the family.

Also, I couldn’t find enough Candied peel, so I used oranges and lemons and made my own. Wow, does that ever make a difference! I’ll use other store bought fruit in the future, but never again store bought peel. 

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2