The Daily for Monday 01/17/2022

richwmn

Dr Martin Luther King, Jr Day

Today is Ditch New Years Resolutions Day, Kid Inventors Day, and National Bootlegger's Day

“He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it. He who accepts evil without protesting against it is really cooperating with it.” -- Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

Meal Suggestion for today - chicken thighs
Drink of the Day - Journeyman
Wine of the Day - Gorgo 2020 Bardolino Chiaretto Veneto
Destination of the Day - Astoria, Oregon, US

Ships With Passengers

At Sea Caribbean

Zuiderdam  

Destination Cartagena CO

At Sea Pacific

Koningsdam  

Destination Avalon CA US

Bridgetown, Barbados

Nieuw Statendam  

08:00 - 17:00

Half Moon Cay, Bahamas

Eurodam  

08:00 - 15:00

Rotterdam  

08:00 - 15:00

Ships Without Passengers

At Sea Caribbean

Nieuw Amsterdam  

Drifting

Corfu GR

Volendam 

Zaandam  

Great Stirrup Cay

Noordam  

Anchorage

Limassol CY

Oosterdam  

Anchorage

Long Beach CA US

Westerdam  

Anchorage

0117Caribbean.thumb.png.5ae2103d2b62a157b661e1355ae4da9f.png

0117NAmericaW.thumb.png.0b6bc0a0ed33b620ce5337c6f10c60db.png

0117Europe.thumb.png.ad26f5a149a73a468a9c79643ecc4990.png

Edited by richwmn
  • Like 35
  • Thanks 14

Thank  you for the MLK Day Daily, Rich, great quote by Dr. King.  Bootleggers had a role in our history, I didn't make any New Years Resolutions, and Kids have come up with some great inventions.  Chicken thighs sound nice although not on my menu today.  I've been to Astoria a few times, Sea Bird (2001), Crystal Symphony (2011) and Oosterdam (2017),

Today’s care list:

Strength for Jacqui, dealing with more than should be on anyone’s shoulders
Saint John Hospital Covid Situation

Welfare of furloughed crews
Walker in hospice
Mamaofami, Sam and his aide
Tana in hospital with poor prognosis
MissG’s dad with pneumonia
StLouisCruisers DD recovering from Tennis Elbow surgery
Numerious dailyite friends and family with covid
From the rotation:
MissG’s father hanging in for one more cruise.
Recovery for StLouisCruisers Niece DH after throat cancer surgery
kakalina with spreading lung cancer in hospice and cancelling cruise
SrLouisCruiser awaiting MOSE 2/21

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Dr. Martin Luther King
5 BHB with passengers
Front Line Health Care Workers        
Carnival Group  hospital ships Nieuw Amsterdam, Crown Princess, and Queen Victoria
summer slope , sassy~one and bobpatj , (Rotterdam to1/29), and boytje (Millennium to 1/17) at sea
Progress for luvteaching DH
Seasick sailor’s connecting pilot
Tana breathing better

Nathalie Stutzmann and Marin Alsop
Koningsdan Staff Captain Sabine - officially onboard & introduced. - Our first female Staff Captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 29
  • Thanks 14

Good afternoon from a sunny 42°F NE England.

Thank you for today's daily and fleet reports Rich.

Thank you Roy for keeping the various lists.

Interesting days.

True quote from Dr King.

Nice food but not the drink.

Prayers for everyone on the care list.

I hope everyone has a safe and nice day.

Graham.

Screenshot_20220117_120557.jpg

Screenshot_20220117_120155.jpg

Screenshot_20220117_120112.jpg

Screenshot_20220117_120019.jpg

• Like 36
  • Thanks 1

Good morning.  Thanks for the Daily Report.

Interesting combination of days.  I remember hearing stories of my grandfather running whisky from Windsor to Detroit.

Great quote from a great man.

We've got a snowy day here in Southern Ontario, some areas could get 40cm of snow today.  We're staying in.

Prayers for everyone on the Care List.  Cheers for all the celebrations.

Stay safe.

• Like 31

Good morning, Daily friends...sending a caring hug to all who are in need.  Friends near and far are supporting you and hope things get better very soon.

Years ago, this day (along with days like Presidents' Day, Veterans' Day, etc) would be a day off from work - but not so much anymore.  I'll be at my desk as usual along with many others. MLK Day feels far more relevant than ever though, and it is a day I hope that we can reflect on the words he always so eloquently spoke. 

Chicken thighs are great when braised, but today's meal for us will be the last of the chili I made a few weeks ago and froze.  Hubby will bake some fresh cornbread muffins to go with it - a perfect meal for this cold and rainy/snowy day.

Never one to make resolutions, so no need to worry about breaking them.  Kids have some of the most amazing ideas - they deserve a day to celebrate!

Hope everyone has a good day today!

• Like 30

I have a sunset rather than a sunrise today.  It's from the start of my last long trip, my 2020 attempt to circle the globe without flying.  My schedule did not really permit doing it all by cruise ship so I started with the train across America.  On January 17, 2020 I was on Amtrak's Southwest Chief in New Mexico:

dusk0117.jpg

Roy

• Like 42
  • Thanks 5

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! I will gladly celebrate the life of Doctor King. My only resolution was to try a Zumba class to see if my knee had recovered enough. I did. It had. And I have returned to doing two Zumba classes each week. Perhaps the class I missed the most. 

The winds are finally diminishing enough to go out and not have to put my hood up to keep my hair from flying in my face. Good thing Bindi is short-haired, otherwise I would have had to detangle her. Off to the gym, then expecting a visit from my Sister. Turkey burgers for supper tonight, I think. 

Today starts the Winter series… a subject near and dear to many of us.

FAF36958-991D-46C2-8306-0490BEE7C39D.jpeg.9e05e459c366ea2e8890413cfe208260.jpeg

A32D12C6-5D9B-440C-9469-A31FE923CD94.jpeg.2d9c6f01954ffd2564ebc7f192d601a1.jpeg

70E56289-2E2C-42CF-8790-B148DD41A78A.jpeg.79b370890cc8cdc4b8cb937753ef9365.jpeg

And our own @ger_77& her DH have started the ice cave trend. Clearly hers is the deluxe version, and the pic below is the basic starter model, but they have the right idea.

79A0AE65-6473-468C-9FBA-833F0BB860BF.jpeg.35d811fa464553705b4fa3c48f9b1eb0.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

Gorgo 2020 Bardolino Chiaretto Veneto

This crisp & dry rosé sounds like one I would like to try. Reasonably priced with online prices starting at $12.00.

Decanter.com

Tasted by James Button

Part of Chiaretto 2020: 22 top Italian rosés worth seeking out

rating - 90

Second-generation Roberta has converted the family estate's 53 hectares of vines to organic viticulture. Notes of pepper and sweet spice aromas overlay soft red fruits. Light and fresh in the mouth, it features saline red fruits with a touch of textural grip. Creamy and peppery on the mid-palate, it has a long floral raspberry finish.

Drinking Window 2021 - 2023

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 44
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 3

Good Morning everyone! Thank you Rich for the Daily Report, and thank you Roy for the Cares and Celebration Report.  And thank you everyone for caring and sharing!

Sunday's storm left a lot of "World Snow Day" celebration's confetti remnants on the ground. most of the day we were actually colder than Ashland, WI (on Lake Superior) where Sue's son lives. I plan on getting out around 9 to use the snow blower on the front. Sam was acting like a Malamute although I have found that he doesn't care for deep snow. With the hip dysplasia he drags his rear legs so it must make it difficult to walk in.

Never sailed to Astoria but have driven there. I enjoy visiting the Columbia River Maritime Museum as they have the first 44-foot motor lifeboat made for the Coast Guard displayed in a dramatic setting. They were unsinkable and self-righting so rode like a cork. I spent many hours in stormy weather on SAR calls aboard one.

Stay safe!

- Jack

0116221700.thumb.jpg.68d4d064d05d1d55fa7bf3c253e3780d.jpg

0116221701c.thumb.jpg.89c7fe7ea1e696b19e780f76151c9555.jpg

Edited by Heartgrove
  • Like 49

Good morning everyone and thanks for the daily report.  I didn’t make any New Years Resolutions this year so nothing to break.  Hooray for

kid inventors.  Bootleggers have a fascinating and dangerous history, I believe that’s when the Purple Gang came into power in Detroit. The quote is spot on.  We have chicken thighs regularly so maybe for tonight?  I haven’t been to today’s destination so I’ll enjoy the photos. Prayers for everyone on our list and cheers to those of you celebrating happy events today!

• Like 27

Good morning

Prayers for Jacquie and everyone on Roy's care list.

Martin Luther King Day - I may watch "Martin Luther King in the Wilderness" on HBO Max about his work at the end of his life.  

Bardolino sounds like a red wine migraine.  Will wait for cocktail recipe. Chicken thighs are so versatile. Smoked St. Louis ribs for us the wind has died down so we can smoke on our grill. 

A new pest has showed up. It lives at a farm house nearby.  It comes to eat the scraps I toss in the woods to keep the critters off the deck. Last night it was outside in the middle of the night crying to come in.   Will add its' pic on local Facebook page and maybe they will claim their cat.  

Have to order another pulse oximeter on recommendation of a doc I saw for me Thanksgiving illness. Works for DF but not with my gel nail polish.  Check before buying one I didn't buy the cheapest. Mid price.  

IMG_20211103_155524098_MP.jpg

Edited by ottahand7
Adding more content
  • Like 30

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  If you have the day off to celebrate Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Day, enjoy yourself; if not, take a few minutes to remember a great figure in history.  I haven't made New Year's resolutions for a number of years, so I won't worry about ditching them.  Children make great inventors because they don't think of the obstacles in the way of their creations.  I think we should all be a little more free thinking sometime.  My maternal grandmother spent some time in jail for bootlegging when my mother was young.  (and I wonder where I get my rebellious streak from!)

I've been watching the weather for so many of you who have been in the path of the storms, wondering how you're faring. We're expecting a "snow event" to come through tonight and tomorrow, bringing with it an abundance of snow and dropping our temperatures down to the -30's again.   Up here on the "frozen tundra", we're prepared for such events, but many of you don't even have heavy coats, boots, or shovels.   I saw a quick video clip of someone trying to use their broom to sweep away a snow drift.  If you're wondering how to accurately measure snow, I discovered this:

220009516_SnowGauge.jpg.6e6a86d20d76c041a3da75b3fb33a9cf.jpg

Not a lot going on here today, taking DH to the chiro again this morning in the hope that his back will soon be feeling better.  Once it is, I think we're going to be going mattress shopping, as I'm finding I'm starting to wake up with a sore mid-lower back as well.

I like chicken thighs, but DH prefers white meat, so I've got chicken breasts thawing in the fridge that will be coated in panko and parmesan crumbs, then cooked in the air fryer.  Served alongside leftover pan fried potatoes from yesterday and a tomato/cucumber salad it's what will be on our dinner table tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  Extra prayers for Jacqui, Jose, his medical team, their pups, and our CC friends with medical issues.  We'll raise the glasses tonight to toast all on the celebration list.  Stay warm, be safe, wear your masks, wash your hands, get your boosters, and be well.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 43
  • Haha 3

Good Morning Everyone, thanks for the daily report. Today is a very wet and windy day.  We received about an inch of rain overnight.   A short drive and I could see fresh snow.  Thankful that we got rain.  I do like today's quote.  The meal suggestion will need to wait as we are having leftover roasted chicken.   I did get thighs over the weekend. 

Today is a work day here.  This used to be a paid day off.  Amelia is tempting me with a bad example of what to do.

20220117_083241.thumb.jpg.4bdc114c0f11cdfeae98bba0f61036ff.jpg

• Like 36

Good morning, everyone.  

Today is a day to stay home and bundle up on the couch to watch bad movies.  You know, the ones that are so bad they are good?   

IMG_1397.thumb.jpg.e2f302d314c86a571e5b9330a1b959f3.jpg

And, it is still coming down.  

IMG_1401.thumb.jpg.33ceb0b8a82d339855611123891f1416.jpg

My maternal grandmother used to go on bootlegging runs from New York state down into the mountains in Pennsylvania with my grandfather.  They never ended up in jail, fortunately.  Grandma was a wild one.  

Today's meal is wide open for interpretation.   So, I am offering you the Food Network with 50 ways to prepare chicken thighs.   I think these could all be done with chicken breasts for those of us who prefer the white meat.   https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/photos/our-best-chicken-thigh-recipes

I did pick out a couple that looked really good to me.   First, from Michael Symon, a Clevelander.   https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/michael-symon/grilled-chicken-thighs-with-blackberry-bbq-sauce-5209285

538707349_chickenthighs2.jpeg.1844fe1443b950ad9ba6c335e13f0abe.jpeg

And from Giada De Laurentiis:  https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/giada-de-laurentiis/roman-style-chicken-recipe-1945439

1934332729_chickenthighs.jpeg.6f8e9104f39f2ea02e051c620bf157f0.jpeg

And here's one that is super easy and comes out nice and crispy:  https://thesaltymarshmallow.com/crispy-baked-chicken-thighs/

crispy-baked-chicken-thighs1-745x1024.thumb.jpg.154c3cb493eef08dd7dd056334c133cb.jpg

Prayers for all who need them and especially our own @kazu Jacqui and Jose.   

Enjoy!

• Like 33
  • Thanks 8

Good morning friends!  It's a mid 30's day today here, but thankfully the snow flurries we had all afternoon yesterday came to nothing.  Not even accumulation on the deck, roofs or cars!  Today is an important holiday as we celebrate the life and thoughts of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.   I see his niece Alveda King on TV a lot and she is another great representative of the King family.

I don't make New Years resolutions either so none to break or ditch!  Kid inventors sounds like a grand idea.  Children have such imaginations, so it's not hard to believe they can come up with excellent ideas.  Bootleggers I have nothing to say or add to the discussion, unfortunately.  Today's quote by Dr. King was a good one, naturally.  Chicken thighs for dinner might be a good idea.  I'm a white meat person but join DH in eating the dark meat too.  And I have not been to Astoria, Oregon before.  Thanks in advance to anyone who has photos to post.

Prayers have already been said this morning to our Care list.  Spending a long time on the treadmill gives me the opportunity to reflect on those who need our prayers.  I especially want to send prayers up to Jacqui and Jose, their dogs and all the medical personnel handling their problems. Thanks to Roy for posting that list.  And congrats to those celebrating things today.  It's great to have something to cheer for.  Praise goes out to the compassionate pilot who allowed Joy and Allen to board the plane after the doors were shut. I hope they arrived home safely last night.  And of course many thanks to Rich for posting the Daily for us.  I hope the weather has improved in Athens, Rich!

DD has been telling us about her MIL's health problems lately.  She is in the hospital getting MRIs daily and they believe she is having repeated strokes.  She is so confused she can't even unlock her IPhone because she can't remember the code.  Her daughter was visiting from Ohio and she didn't even know her.  And her birthday was 2 days ago and she told the nurses she was 25.  She actually turned 68!  So my DSonIL will probably be heading to Florida tomorrow to see what's going on, and DD asked if we minded if he spent the night at our house.  Most family members do when driving to Florida, so of course we have no objections and will be hosting him overnight.  I know he's really worried about her.  His Mom smokes (I didn't know that!) and no one has been able to get her to stop.  That can't be helping.  I hope they come up with something to help her.  She's much too young for such serious issues.

• Like 23
  • Thanks 7

Good morning everyone. It’s a sunny 39 degrees F outside with a high today of 55. Going to be what we Floridians refer to as a brisk walk!

I have tremendous respect for Martin Luther King but would like to see more done in our present world to repair our racial divides.

Holiday? What are we going to do? It’s Monday so I’ll doing the laundry. It’s winter so bulky clothes require more loads. Love warm weather as I usually only have one load to do. Every day is a Holiday!

I wouldn’t call my diet a New Year’s Resolution but more a necessity. Doctor said get your A1C blood sugar count down or oral meds! I believe I can do it. Never have your routine lab work done a few days after the holidays!

If you haven’t seen my topic thread Best Tour I Have ever seen of new Rotterdam. Check out the link. The host does an outstanding presentation around the ship but he also dines in all the venues and shows what he ordered. It was filmed on Rotterdam’s first six day cruise last November after the TA. There is 3 parts and it still here on CC Hal’s Forum front page. I feel he was maybe hired by Hal to do this as there was no way he could have eaten all the food selections delivered to his table.

Thanks Rich, Roy and to all have a great week.

• Like 28
  • Thanks 1

Good morning everyone. Sam’s aide left last night after an incident where he was yelling at Sam and myself. He called the agency and told them he wanted to leave and they said in the morning, but he is a big man and after his yelling I asked them to remove him immediately. We are switching agencies but until at least tomorrow night we are alone for the first time since the beginning of June. I had very little sleep because I was  very upset.

Stay safe everyone,

Carol

• Like 16
  • Thanks 19

Good morning Dailyites!  My neighbor who is a state employee is off today, so no dog walking today.  I am surprised by folks who said they used to get the day off, and no longer do.  What happened to celebrating Martin Luther King Jr. Day?  On one of my campaigns, the boss texted us and told us that in Nevada, the day was celebrated, so if we wanted we could take the day off.  Isn't a day off when most people are home?  Because we get paid if we work, then I'm working.

It is cold out, but while we had snow falling all day yesterday, there is not much left, as it warmed up after the sun set, and most of it melted.  Not going to get above 40, but knowing DH,  he will want to go out and think of something that needs to be done.  I'm thinking that if that happens, he needs to buy chocolate.  DH did make chili last night, I did the corn bread, and that's what lunch will be  today.  A left over large piece of pork will end up being BBQ for tonight with coleslaw.  But right now, I need to get inspired and fix breakfast.  

• Like 26

Thank you Rich for the Daily. Good morning friends. 

After a very long day we made it home safe and sound. This morning I feel like I'm still at sea and our house is rocking.

I'm sending prayers up to all on Roy's list. Roy, as we suspected with no news on our friend,  he passed away. Our friends will fill us in sometime today.

Prayers for Jacqui, Jose, the pups, and to Roy.

I'll catch up later. Xx

• Like 21
  • Thanks 10

@mamaofami I am so sorry that this aide went "wonky doodles" on you and your Sam.  Getting him out asap was important.  Making sure he didn't leave with any keys to the house is also important.  Maybe your daughter can come by today and give you a break for a while.  I hope this situation becomes better soon!

• Like 20

Good morning from Half Moon Cay..  They haven't cleared us yet and all excursions/cabana's are cancelled due to lack of staff.  Interesting group of days.

I really like the King quote.  Will pass on the meal, have had a lot of chicken lately.

Prayers and toasts to our lists.

Please continue to stay safe, social distance, and wear you mask. (which is being done on the ship)

Journeyman:

Ingredients
1 part Jim Beam® Rye
3/4 part Laird's® Applejack Brandy
1 teaspoon Honey
3 parts Soda Water 1/2 part
Lemon Juice
Garnish with Lemon Peel

Instructions
Add lemon juice and honey to bottom of glass and stir to dissolve honey. Measure and pour in Jim Beam Rye and Applejack.  Fill glass completely with ice, top with soda. Garnish and serve.

Screen Shot 2022-01-17 at 9.16.18 AM.png

• Like 19
  • Thanks 6