The Daily for Friday 01/21/2022

richwmn

Good morning all!

I'm a little late again today, it was a restless night.  

We're headed for 6 straight days of dry weather, hooray!!  I may get out the portable fire pit and invite some neighbors over one of these sunnier days.

Everyone in my family are big huggers, and the grandsons give the best hugs ever.  Since we have woods behind us, we see squirrels constantly in the trees, running along the top of our fence, etc. They're cute to watch.  They haven't bothered my plants, and seem to stay in the woods.  I wish I could find it (I tried) but I have a great close-up of a squirrel in Yellowstone holding a red sucker that he found on the ground.  

I have 2 pairs of sweat pants that I sometimes will put on and wear around the house on a chilly day.  The meal sounds good (with all the choices Debbie @dfishposted there has to be something there for most people).  But I think tonight will be beef stew.  Will pass on the red wine, the drink sounds good but more as dessert.  Great quote.  I thought we'd been to Argostoli, it sounds so familiar, but apparently not.  Looking forward to any photos.

Call us crazy, but we're thinking seriously of booking a 93-day Grand Voyage in 2024.  We would cancel two other cruises in 2023 to be able to make it happen.  We've sent a message to our PCC and waiting to hear....the reason I can't get this one out of my mind is it's all Australia, New Zealand, S. Pacific and Hawaii.  The first cruise we had canceled because of Covid was Australia, we've never been there.  And the thought of being able to go round trip San Diego and no overseas flights --- I'm almost drooling.  

@ger_77I'm so sorry to hear that your DGS has Covid and pray it will be very mild and that his 2-year-old brother can stay Covid-free.  

• Like 30
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ger_77 said:

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  Late to the party today - DH had another restless night, so . . .     I'm a hugger and Covid has been hard to get through; thankfully I have DH to hug or Sochi would be a wreck.  We have squirrels who flit through our yard and make a mess with pinecones from the spruce trees in our yard.  I honestly don't own a pair of sweat pants, although I'm sure they're comfy.

Wow, we have the weirdest weather, and today is a prime example; right now our temperature is sitting at a delightful -4C (24F), which is warmer than many of you.  We'll enjoy every degree, because we never know when another cold snap will come flying through and leave us shivering.  Last night we had freezing rain, so the city crews have been out all night sanding and salting, to help cut down on the number of accidents for those heading to work this morning.  We have pedicures scheduled for later this morning, and they're not far from us, so I think we'll be okay.

Well it was just a matter of time - our DS called last night to say our darling GS (age 6) has tested positive for Covid.  Thankfully he's had his first vaccination, and only has a cough.  Out of an abundance of caution, they've kept him home from school since Monday and yesterday acquired tests to see what was happening.  Sure enough, he tested positive.  Hopefully it just stays as a cough and doesn't migrate to his younger brother (age 2) who is too young to be vaccinated.

I like trying different kinds of fish when we're on a BHB, so would appreciate today's menu suggestion.  I like hot cocoa, but am a purist in that I love it plain (or maybe with Bailey's added instead of peppermint schnapps), and I recall stopping at today's port where we wandered around in the bright sunshine.

Today's Friday, so it's pizza night at our house - will have to check the menus online and see what appeals to us.  I'm going to try to find one that compares with that of @grapau27 because they always look SO good.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  Extra prayers for Jose, his medical team, Jacqui, Marley, and all our Dailyites who are having health issues.  We'll clink the glasses together tonight to cheer on all those on the celebration list.  Stay warm, wear your masks, get your boosters, be well, wash your hands and be safe! 

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

Oh no.Sorry to hear DGS tested positive.It is so hard when the other sibling is so young.I hope the case is mild.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Daily.

Interesting days. I like hugs, although that's on hold these days. There are lots of squirrels here, and they dig in my yard for acorns, so I often don't appreciate them. Since retirement, sweat pants are my usual winter wear since the house is chilly. Good quote.

Again, any meal with fish is a no for me, except fish sandwiches. I like the drink and wine.

I've been to Greece, but not this port. Thanks for the pictures.

Brrrr. Cold here. It was single digits, but up to 16F now. At least the sun is shining today. Tomorrow AM's temp is to be -1F, lower with the wind chill. The dentist's office called today, and the first appointment was Feb 2. Blood work results are trickling in - so far ok, except the elevated proteins I see Hematology for.

@kazu Prayers for Jose, his medical team, you and Marley. I hope you can get into the hospital to visit Jose soon.

@smitty34877 How is Tana today?

@Mr. Boston I hope your biopsy results are good.

@grapau27 Enjoy your time in York. I've been there a few times and like it very much. Your dinner looks fabulous.

@ger_77 Sorry to hear of DGS's Covid diagnosis; hopefully it remains mild.

@Seasick Sailor Great picture!

Prayers for the Care List and Cheers for the Celebration List.

Stay safe everyone.

• Like 25
  • Thanks 2

58 minutes ago, aliaschief said:

Get in our Spyder convertible and it won’t start. . . .

16 minutes ago, Cruise Suzy said:

Corvair???

Mrs. XBGuy had a 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT Spyder.

downloajdjdjdjdd.jpg.3cbf23ad35f9f1a5f9f939bdafcbcfe3.jpg

She loved driving around with the top down.  It made her feel like a real California girl.  Of course since she was born in the city of Los Angeles and has lived in Los Angeles Couty her entire life, she really doesn't need any accessories to validate her heritage.  In 2014 when it was time to retire the Spyder, I was really surprised at what she wanted -- Infiniti QX-50.

"You want to go from a GT to an SUV?"

Well, I guess everybody grows up, eventually--except, I guess, @aliaschief.  😉

• Like 18
  • Haha 7

37 minutes ago, Cruise Suzy said:

Corvair???

Mitsubishi.Just a errand car and convertible ride on nice days! We got by for quite a few years after kids left with one car. Later we got so many conflicting appointments we needed a second car! Purchased six years ago and we’ve only added 4,000 miles.

Fun to go to beach with.

Edited by aliaschief
  • Like 24

Good morning and thanks all!   We spent five wonderful days on Kefalonia and highly recommend it.  It isn’t often visited by HAL.    The book Captain Corelli’s Mandolin was set there as was the movie with Nicholas Cage.  The water is the most incredible shade of blue,  and there is a mesmerizing underwater lake,  they also have lovely sea turtles.  On the same trip we visited beautiful Zakynthos and travelled between by ferry.   I have a photo of the amazing Shipwreck beach there.   

@ger_77 I am so sorry to hear about your DGS, hoping it is mild.   Our grandniece who is pregnant and double vaccinated has it right now as well.  It is so rampant here, sadly.  Glad the weather is good in the prairies as our kids travel to Saskatchewan today.  

We have several squirrels,  the native red squirrel is tiny and puts the run on the Grey, and brown ones.   They are fascinated by out Christmas deer! 

7B648B17-A62C-48CC-B446-70027B949CA2.jpeg

AB64E270-C3D9-4877-A7F1-04339BD97FA6.jpeg

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 31
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

We decided to go out for dinner.

Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc.

Rib eye steak with barbecue Tiger prawns.😋😋

IMG_20220121_171432.jpg

IMG_20220121_173910.jpg

@grapau27Graham, I want to know more about this diet you’re on. It sounds like one I would really enjoy 😊Susan 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 12

Good day all. We have lovely sunshine today but still cold. I, too, am missing Florida. But my house smells wonderful tight now. Just baked bread, two loaves of my no knead bread. 

prayers for those that need them and will raise a glass soon for the celebration list. Be safe everyone. Now to go back and read the daily!

4816DAE7-8A78-4400-A630-9D3777632FBD.jpeg

• Like 33

19 minutes ago, XBGuy said:

Mrs. XBGuy had a 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT Spyder.

downloajdjdjdjdd.jpg.3cbf23ad35f9f1a5f9f939bdafcbcfe3.jpg

She loved driving around with the top down.  It made her feel like a real California girl.  Of course since she was born in the city of Los Angeles and has lived in Los Angeles Couty her entire life, she really doesn't need any accessories to validate her heritage.  In 2014 when it was time to retire the Spyder, I was really surprised at what she wanted -- Infiniti QX-50.

"You want to go from a GT to an SUV?"

Well, I guess everybody grows up, eventually--except, I guess, @aliaschief.  😉

That’s it. We have a SE (Special Edition) so one of last made. Never looked up whether there is any collector value. Grow up? Are you kidding me?😁

• Like 12
  • Haha 8

25 minutes ago, aliaschief said:

We thought he said a couple of 500 cal days. Must have been a typo 5,000!😁

10,000 steps each day the last 2 days.

Back to 500 calories tomorrow 😭

Graham.

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 20
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, ger_77 said:

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  Late to the party today - DH had another restless night, so . . .     I'm a hugger and Covid has been hard to get through; thankfully I have DH to hug or Sochi would be a wreck.  We have squirrels who flit through our yard and make a mess with pinecones from the spruce trees in our yard.  I honestly don't own a pair of sweat pants, although I'm sure they're comfy.

Wow, we have the weirdest weather, and today is a prime example; right now our temperature is sitting at a delightful -4C (24F), which is warmer than many of you.  We'll enjoy every degree, because we never know when another cold snap will come flying through and leave us shivering.  Last night we had freezing rain, so the city crews have been out all night sanding and salting, to help cut down on the number of accidents for those heading to work this morning.  We have pedicures scheduled for later this morning, and they're not far from us, so I think we'll be okay.

Well it was just a matter of time - our DS called last night to say our darling GS (age 6) has tested positive for Covid.  Thankfully he's had his first vaccination, and only has a cough.  Out of an abundance of caution, they've kept him home from school since Monday and yesterday acquired tests to see what was happening.  Sure enough, he tested positive.  Hopefully it just stays as a cough and doesn't migrate to his younger brother (age 2) who is too young to be vaccinated.

I like trying different kinds of fish when we're on a BHB, so would appreciate today's menu suggestion.  I like hot cocoa, but am a purist in that I love it plain (or maybe with Bailey's added instead of peppermint schnapps), and I recall stopping at today's port where we wandered around in the bright sunshine.

Today's Friday, so it's pizza night at our house - will have to check the menus online and see what appeals to us.  I'm going to try to find one that compares with that of @grapau27 because they always look SO good.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  Extra prayers for Jose, his medical team, Jacqui, Marley, and all our Dailyites who are having health issues.  We'll clink the glasses together tonight to cheer on all those on the celebration list.  Stay warm, wear your masks, get your boosters, be well, wash your hands and be safe! 

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

Sorry to hear your dear GS has tested positive for covid Gerry.

Prayers 🙏 that his cough goes quickly and his younger 2 year old brother remains covid free 

Graham.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

Good Friday afternoon, everyone!  I guess I can appreciate squirrels in that they are not in my attic.  I got bit by a baby once when I was little.  They have very sharp teeth.

For a period of time I worked weekends at a butcher & fish monger shop.  Although I had a full-time job as a college administrator, I thought that would be the best way to learn the basics about meat and seafood as I was/am a bit of a food fiend.  Anyway, there was one lovely young man who came in once a month for king crab legs and steak.  He always left us (myself and the FT girl) a $5.00 tip on his way out.  Since it was always cold in there, and our hands even colder from handling the product, (not to mention our frozen feet!) I would pop over to the local Tim Hortons for a couple of hot chocolates with an orange shot.  SO good when you are frozen to the core.  I will never forget the kindness of that young man.  He was the only one who ever thought to leave one.  Also, Amaretto goes good in hot chocolate.  Just saying.  😇

Remember the sweatpants craze in the 80’s?  They were great for camping and cottageing and boating on the cooler days and evenings.

I have been to Argostoli on our first Med cruise (HAL).  Pre-digital days, so no pics without rummaging through boxes in the storage room.  I like you guys, but not *that* much.  😜

So sorry to hear of the babes (and Mom-with-babe) with Covid.  It’s hard when the wee ones are ill.  I hope they are feeling better soon.

Hugs are the best.  Don’t hug me if you aren’t going to mean it because those hugs are the worst.

I can’t believe it’s Friday!  😺

• Like 22
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, Lady Hudson said:

Thanks for all who post and many thanks to Rich and Roy for their dedication.  Prayers for all on the care list - with extra prayers for Jacqui and all she is enduring.

Fasting since last night for blood work this morning.  Now drinking the allowed black coffee - ugh!  I am  a flavored coffee girl with lots of creamer.

Good news for us on an upcoming B2B.  Was able to call this week and arrange upcoming B2B cabins so that we can stay in the same cabin for both trips.  Not easy since DH needs an accessible because of severe walking condition.  Makes turnaround day much less stressful.

Stay safe everyone — especially stay Covid free and safe from our winter weather!!  Katherine 

I hope your blood tests give excellent results today Katherine.

Fantastic news about keeping the same cabin in your b2b cruise.

Wishing you both the most amazing cruise.

Graham.

• Like 10

7 hours ago, dfish said:

There are many reasons to love black cod — it is sustainably fished, full of healthy omega-3 fatty acids, and wonderfully buttery when cooked. Here’s one more: a classic Japanese recipe for black cod that makes an easy, elegant dinner for guests or a quick main dish you can prep over the weekend.  https://www.thekitchn.com/recipe-nobu-miso-marinated-black-cod-117238

Thank you for the recipes Debbie!  I actually make this dish often and shared it with my ladies group for our cookbook.  There is just something about sable fish (black cod) that is so appealing.  It flakes into wonderful flakes and this marinade makes it even more appetizing.  If anyone tries this recipe please make sure to marinate it for a few days.  I've done it up to 4 days, the longer the better!

• Like 20
  • Thanks 4

Good Afternoon All, thanks for the daily report. TGIF!  It’s been a busy work day.  Today’s drink sounds very good on a cold day like today.  I’ll pass on the meal suggestion but at this late hour still don’t know what’s for dinner. 
The cats are entertained by the squirrels that hit the bird feeder.

image.png.d32c3d353f07c06e9ef8045453b7d9de.png
Sending everyone a virtual hug.  I’ll have to settle for hugging the cats today.

image.png.66a8bff39d7d133573fd07de722ccc32.png

• Like 29

2 hours ago, JazzyV said:

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Daily.

Interesting days. I like hugs, although that's on hold these days. There are lots of squirrels here, and they dig in my yard for acorns, so I often don't appreciate them. Since retirement, sweat pants are my usual winter wear since the house is chilly. Good quote.

Again, any meal with fish is a no for me, except fish sandwiches. I like the drink and wine.

I've been to Greece, but not this port. Thanks for the pictures.

Brrrr. Cold here. It was single digits, but up to 16F now. At least the sun is shining today. Tomorrow AM's temp is to be -1F, lower with the wind chill. The dentist's office called today, and the first appointment was Feb 2. Blood work results are trickling in - so far ok, except the elevated proteins I see Hematology for.

@kazu Prayers for Jose, his medical team, you and Marley. I hope you can get into the hospital to visit Jose soon.

@smitty34877 How is Tana today?

@Mr. Boston I hope your biopsy results are good.

@grapau27 Enjoy your time in York. I've been there a few times and like it very much. Your dinner looks fabulous.

@ger_77 Sorry to hear of DGS's Covid diagnosis; hopefully it remains mild.

@Seasick Sailor Great picture!

Prayers for the Care List and Cheers for the Celebration List.

Stay safe everyone.

Thank you Vanessa for asking.I hesitated to say anything as it has been an up and down 24 hours.She is struggling  and they are watching her closely.We are hoping for better days ahead.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 10

Thanks for the TGIF Daily, Rich and I am thanking heavens it is TGIF.

No one to hug here except Marley and he gets plenty.  Sorry, I don’t appreciate squirrels digging up my bulbs, wrecking the bird feeders, trying to get into my shed, etc.  We are surrounded by mostly grey squirrels and they are a nuisance in my book (don’t tell my neighbour who feeds them and loves them).

I do enjoy sweat pants on a cold winter day.  About the only time they are worn.  Love today’s quote.

Yum on the meal suggestion and we really enjoyed Cephalonia when we visited on the lovely Prinsendam.

For once, I got some good news.  The orthopaedic surgeon was concerned about Jose’s elbow from his fall so that was X-Rayed too.  Thankfully, I got the call that it is not broken and he won’t need surgery 👍 

Marley is back from his vet visit.  They ultra sounded all of his organs and report NO CANCER, Thank God.  With cancer eliminated, they suspect the problem is his kidneys producing too much protein.  That can be fixed with medication BUT we need to wait for the blood profile results next week to confirm and not show any other surprises.  🙏🏻  I am relieved.  I’ve had a dog with cancer before 💔 

6 hours ago, ger_77 said:

Oh dear on you DGS testing positive 😢 Hopefully it stays as a cough and he recovers quickly.  I hope the rest of his family is able to stay safe.  🙏🏻   So sorry to hear this 😔 

6 hours ago, JAM37 said:

Lucy was no better or worse yesterday which we are grateful she hasn't gotten any worse.

That is a bit of hope.  At least if she isn’t getting worse there is hope she will get better 🙏🏻 

6 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

He will be visiting his Mom in the ICU when he gets there.  They're hoping to move her to a different hospital in Sarasota when they get a bed available.  He plans on staying a week and coming back to our B&B on his way home.  Meanwhile, his Mom is at the top of my prayers this week.🙏

I hope he has a good visit and she can be moved.  Prayer for your DMIL 🙏🏻 

6 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

3 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

Call us crazy, but we're thinking seriously of booking a 93-day Grand Voyage in 2024.  We would cancel two other cruises in 2023 to be able to make it happen.  We've sent a message to our PCC and waiting to hear....the reason I can't get this one out of my mind is it's all Australia, New Zealand, S. Pacific and Hawaii.  The first cruise we had canceled because of Covid was Australia, we've never been there.  And the thought of being able to go round trip San Diego and no overseas flights --- I'm almost drooling.  

Call you crazy?  Crazy like a Fox!  Smart to avoid the flight to and from Australia.  they are long and hard on the system.  Travelling by cruise ship seems much more civilized to me 😉 

Sounds like a wonderful Grand Voyage!  Go for it !

Sorry, multi quote is not working well for me.  Might be my own fault but I can’t delete the post a the bottom.

Prayers for everyone on the Care list & for those that need them and 🥂 to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a good Friday - at least what’s left of it.

3 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

• Like 29
  • Thanks 7