Grand Bahamas as a stop?

flamingos

I'm looking at April cruises out of Canaveral and some of them have Grand Bahama as a port day, in addition to Nassau and either a sea day or CocoCay.

I can't find much information on what there is to see or do there.  Has anyone ever been?

40 minutes ago, CarolRoy said:

So what hotel/resort? And on what island?  Nassau or Grand Bahama?

they bought it on Grand Bahama, now the development/improvement is on hold. Then they bought that strip of land opposite the docks to develop into a private beach destination, that development is on hold too. What they bought on Grand Bahama island is an established resort that needs renovation.

Edited by wolfcathorse

47 minutes ago, wolfcathorse said:

Then they bought that strip of land opposite the docks to develop into a private beach destination, that development is on hold too. 

Thanks  - I thought I had read about the strip of land at the docks in Nassau but couldn't find it again. We've been watching the shells of the homes there deteriorate for years.  On one hand, it's a great use of nearby land; on the other, it's taking money away from local businesses.  

They used to call the stop Freeport but for some reason they just call the stop Grand Bahama now. It's really Freeport, Grand Bahama.   We've been there several times.  Other than going to Lucaya, there really isn't much there.  The port area has a few shops.  We took a taxi to Lucaya one time and walked around.  

Edited by BND
  • Like 1

This is great news. Grand Bahamas was a great island to visit. I vacationed there many years when the Princess Hotels were operating and the Grand Bahama Vacations would run 4 day trips there. Glad to see Royal opening this resort and bringing more revenue to this island. It’s so different from Nassau.

On 1/23/2022 at 1:52 AM, mets123 said:

There's a tour of the Sands brewery that is reasonable.

We did this a few years ago.  Took a taxi from the pier.   Great tour.  We walked back to the ship ( I guess about a mile) and stopped at a great little local place for lunch. 

M