First Night Luminae

Momma Rene

1 minute ago, Momma Rene said:

I'm thinking of booking a specialty restaurant for the first night rather than going to Luminae our first night onboard.  Does anyone have any opinions on how busy, food quality, etc. would be on the first night at Luminae?

Luminae food is VERY high quality IMO, from what others here have said, with the resumption of cruising, suites are busy and Luminae has been at times as well.  

In my experience, a LOT of the suite guests take advantage of the first night discounts and do specialty restaurants on the first night.

As for everything else, the quality is always high in Luminae. The service is always very good.  

I'd recommend making sure you board early enough to enjoy lunch in Luminae, but for dinner, whatever is best for you is great.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Algebralovr said:

In my experience, a LOT of the suite guests take advantage of the first night discounts and do specialty restaurants on the first night.

As for everything else, the quality is always high in Luminae. The service is always very good.  

I'd recommend making sure you board early enough to enjoy lunch in Luminae, but for dinner, whatever is best for you is great.

Along with other guests because discounts are usually offered for the first night for specialty restaurants. 

3 hours ago, Momma Rene said:

I'm thinking of booking a specialty restaurant for the first night rather than going to Luminae our first night onboard.  Does anyone have any opinions on how busy, food quality, etc. would be on the first night at Luminae?

On every cruise there are the experienced X cruisers and the new cruisers. Add on to Luminae there are new cruisers any many frequent X cruisers but enjoying their first suite cruise…There will be more questions to waiters and sommeliers  than on any other night and queries about drinks packages too….This is not helped by the menu which is ‘playful’ in its descriptions rather than clearly explaining what to expect when your plate arrives!

Staff in Luminae will look after you. If you prefer to dine there do not worry. You will still have a great evening with quality food and service. 

However, we almost always spend our first  night in a speciality restaurant…..Less stressed, guests will generally have boarded having already decided what they want to eat even if they want to discuss what wine comes with a premium package…

On S class first night it is wonderful to book Tuscan Grill early evening and watch your port disappear, look at the wake view and see day turn to night…Quite a magical start to a cruise…

There are usually discounts first night on all cruises, it can be a good way to try a speciality restaurant you may wish to visit again. 

Whatever you choose I am sure you will have a great first night…

• Like 2

We always do Luminae the first night , service is normally better than any specialty restaurant and quality of food is as good. We always do at least one specialty, if we are in a royal suite or above will probably do 3 nights (specialty restaurants are free in high end suites), love the animation show for Le Petit Chef.

agree Tuscan restaurant view on S class is fantastic.

14 minutes ago, George C said:

We always do Luminae the first night , service is normally better than any specialty restaurant and quality of food is as good. We always do at least one specialty, if we are in a royal suite or above will probably do 3 nights (specialty restaurants are free in high end suites), love the animation show for Le Petit Chef.

agree Tuscan restaurant view on S class is fantastic.

Kind of nice to get acquainted with the staff in Luminae the first night.  I find it sets the tone (in a good way) for the remainder of the cruise.  They recognize and know you, usually getting your drink order ready before you even ask for it, if you're there the first night.

Certainly understand the discounts you get in the specialty restaurants on the first night, though.

• Like 2

We are onboard the Silhouette. Last night was the first night and we had a lovely dinner at Luminae. Not crowded, and as the OP said, it is nice to get to know the restaurant staff. I suggest you check the menu and make your decision. Enjoy!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Momma Rene said:

I would say Eden or Prime Cut on E class, Murano on S class or just go to Luminae on M class. On S class ships, I can happily eat in Murano every night.

5 hours ago, Momma Rene said:

Not a bad idea- however we were disappointed with the lunch the first day-  

The first night like all other restaurants can be a bit challenging.    Depending on the cruise early or late can be filled to capacity and a waiting list.    Some of this is the wait staff getting accustomed to their hew guests and the sommelier can be extremely taxed.   After the first night the sommelier has all of the wines that people previously ordered stocked and know their drink needs better. 

We often to to a specialty on the first night for just this reason.

• Like 1

We were on Reflection for New Years.  We ate in Luminae every night and I have to say it was one of the best dining experiences of over 35 cruises.  The staff did all they could to make it a great experience.  The food was excellent.  And if we wanted something from the main dining room it was no problem at all.  We mixed and matched many evenings.  For example, I had an appetizer from the Luminae menu but Beef Wellington from the main dining room. 

We had an outstanding waiter and we were in his section every night.  Only one night did we have to wait about 5 minutes but only to get a table in his section.  We could have been seated immediately if we wanted.  

So, our first night experience in Luminae set the tone for the rest of the week.  If your concern is only the Luminae on the first night, don't worry.  You'll be very pleased (at least we were on Reflection).

Edited by papaflamingo
  • Like 3

16 hours ago, graphicguy said:

Kind of nice to get acquainted with the staff in Luminae the first night.  I find it sets the tone (in a good way) for the remainder of the cruise.  They recognize and know you, usually getting your drink order ready before you even ask for it, if you're there the first night.

Certainly understand the discounts you get in the specialty restaurants on the first night, though.

I agree but we typically go to lunch at Luminae after we board on the first day.  The staff is the same as at dinner.

• Like 1

Two weeks ago on Edge we did Luminae for lunch and Fine Cut at 30% off for dinner. Enjoyed both. The staff at Luminae at lunch mentioned the 30% off deal, so perhaps the strategy during these low capacity time is to push Suite guests to speciality to lighten the load on Luminae for dinner on the first night. The second night it was defintiely busy.

• Like 1

Other than the adjustment to a new passenger load, I wouldn't expect the service or food to be any better or worse on the first night than any other night, which is to say both should be quite good. 

We like to go to Luminae on the first night because we like to kick things off with dinner in our "home" dining room (and because I love the duck breast that usually is served the first night), but we really would not be concerned about skipping it for dinner on the first night (especially if we came in for lunch that day). 

22 hours ago, asnaleah said:

We are onboard the Silhouette. Last night was the first night and we had a lovely dinner at Luminae. Not crowded, and as the OP said, it is nice to get to know the restaurant staff. I suggest you check the menu and make your decision. Enjoy!

That’s what we do , check menu if you don’t care for it Book specialty restaurant. 

• Like 1