How Dressy are Formal Nights on Celebrity?

earthpoet

Hi, we are cruising on Celebrity for the first time (Silhouette), and I'm not sure what to pack for the formal nights? Do people wear glitzy evening gowns and tuxes? Or more like date-night dresses and khakis/sport coats? Any insights would be appreciated. -Lisa

There are no longer formal nights on Celebrity. They have been replaced by “Chic Nights.”  Attire will range from what you would see any other night to tuxedos and gowns, and everything in between. It’s all good. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, earthpoet said:

Hi, we are cruising on Celebrity for the first time (Silhouette), and I'm not sure what to pack for the formal nights? Do people wear glitzy evening gowns and tuxes? Or more like date-night dresses and khakis/sport coats? Any insights would be appreciated. -Lisa

You'll see exactly what you're describing, & everything in between... for us, DH wears black slacks w/a black cashmere turtleneck,  I wear some sort of date type dress.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, cruise kitty said:

You'll see exactly what you're describing, & everything in between... for us, DH wears black slacks w/a black cashmere turtleneck,  I wear some sort of date type dress.  

Exactly. So it's really all up to what you would like to do. You can dress really fancy or nice, casual. I will say fancy/formal would make-up less than 10%(closer to 5%) of how the passengers will dress.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

In the Caribbean most now are wearing the same as other nights.   Why pack stuff that isn’t required?    

Does it make sense to take a shower, get dressed up and sweat like a pig just to dine and most times  take off your jacket while dining because it is too hot? .  Then after dinner you go back to the cabin and get into comfortable clothes.  Why do you need to wear dress clothes to sit in a theater, at a lounge or on a outside deck?  

Basically wear what ever you desire and are happy with.  No right or wrong.  

Just wear shorts and dine In the buffet.   Surprisingly it is very nice and has a lot of great choices.   Get room service for dinner and dine in your robe.  

It is your cruise and there are options to do what you feel comfortable with.

This is my input and opinion and I am sure others may not agree.  So be it

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Edited by miched
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I have seen very few tuxes or long gowns on Celebrity since they went to Chic nights. On our last Caribbean cruise in December, there were only a handful of jackets and ties, but they are certainly worn.  If you wear what you would for a very special night out on land, you will not stick out like a sore thumb at all, but “Resort Casual” is a common choice in the MDR too on Chic night.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The guidance given by Celebrity is very explanatory and in most cases it is followed. so yes, the choice of what to wear is very wide.

From my experience cruises leaving from European ports tend to be dressier on Chic nights. Sailing from Southampton I have seen many more sparkly dresses and tops, long gowns, tuxes, and kilts than when leaving from the U.S..

Pack what you feel comfortable in and as long as you avoid the definite no no's you will be fine. Have fun.

• Thanks 1

Now as stated, new "formal" dress is referred to as country club casual.  We do dress up.  Not gowns or tuxedos, but I wear cocktail attire as does my husband.  We really enjoy celebrating our special cruises, especially now.   Daily we also dress in less formal attire- My DH wears slacks and a button down sports shirt, and I slacks and semi-formal tops.  Sun dresses also work, but the ships tend to crank up the AC.

You will see a mixed bag every night.   But it surely is time to celebrate!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I think it all depends. I was surprised that I actually felt under-dressed a couple times on our 2019 twelve night Caribbean cruise. We ate in Blu every night and did not bring dressy clothes for the trip. I did not realize that it was evening chic in the main dining room until we went to the theater and the majority of people were dressed up. I saw a lot of suits and tuxes on the men those nights, and quite a few nice cocktail dresses/long dresses on the women.

• Thanks 1

As everyone said you can be as dressed up or casual as you want. We don't get chance to dress up much at home so for evening chic nights ( think usually 2 on an 11 night cruise) he wears a suit ( but without a tie) & I wear a long dress/cocktail dress - sparkly sandals. For the other nights he wears chinos & open necked shirt ...I wear summer dresses. Last cruise there was also a white party. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CK57 said:

How many Chic nights on 11 day cruise that only has 2 at sea days?

Typically two evenings. The second night and the second to the last night (aka lobster night, MDR) of the cruise. 

Edited by davekathy

I was glad to not bring formal wear when formal nights were eliminated.  It cuts out one suitcase for traveling.   On a Caribbean cruise I'll bring a couple of fun colorful skirts and nice t shirts or tanks to mix and match with them.   DH wears nice chinos or pants and a button down shirt.   We are taking a 1 week cruise on Reflection in one 24 inch suitcase and a carry on.   We could do it in carry ons but I like to have extra shoes!    

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, davekathy said:

I wear polo/golf style shirts and dockers every evening. My wife always looks great. 

Excellent choices all around --- You are a smart man ( see above underlined ).

Now, about those polo/golf shirts--- Were they the Grand Cayman Lacoste  " Specials " I mentioned so many times on CC already ??  Does your Rolex still work or is it stuck on 1:14 like mine ?? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

On 1/26/2022 at 7:35 AM, Cruise a holic said:

Now as stated, new "formal" dress is referred to as country club casual.  We do dress up.  Not gowns or tuxedos, but I wear cocktail attire as does my husband.  We really enjoy celebrating our special cruises, especially now.   Daily we also dress in less formal attire- My DH wears slacks and a button down sports shirt, and I slacks and semi-formal tops.  Sun dresses also work, but the ships tend to crank up the AC.

You will see a mixed bag every night.   But it surely is time to celebrate!

I like your style…cruise on.