N95 Mask requirement??

Help, I am scheduled to leave tomorrow on the brilliance of the seas. I have a friend who is currently on the cruise and has been for a few weeks. She just told me it is a requirement to wear the N95 mask, if I don't have any they are providing them at guest services. I knew about the mask requirement. But I did not see it anywhere in the covid protocols that a certain type is only allowed. Does anyone know where this is in writing, or does the ships themselves have their own rules??

Mask Standards

Your mask should be at least two layers of tight weave fabric with loops that fit over your ears in accordance with health guidelines. The mask should fit your face closely and cover your nose and mouth but allow you to breathe easily. Note that neck gaiters, open chin bandanas and scarves, and face masks with valves do not meet health authority guidelines and will not be permitted.

My daughter is currently on Brilliance and she said they are not required but you can get them from Guest Services. They're offering them because the CDC recommended them. She also stated the crew has been wearing them.

26 minutes ago, Cigar King said:

You could just use the masks they provide.  They were in the room when we arrived and they are plentiful on the ship.

That's what I was thinking. If n95 was required why would they provide regular paper masks waiting in your cabin. 

6 hours ago, kpauley said:

My daughter is currently on Brilliance and she said they are not required but you can get them from Guest Services. They're offering them because the CDC recommended them. She also stated the crew has been wearing them.

Oh cool!  We have kn95s, but if the ship

provides n95s, we will wear them for sure!!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, BND said:

I have not heard of any cruise line that requires N95 (I assume she means KN95 as N95 are medical/hospital grade and not really available to the public).   

Cool thing I saw on the afternoon news- in the US, certain pharmacies will be offering up to 3 free n95s per person, soon.  It’s already started at HyVee pharmacies, and some Walgreens will be starting Friday 🙂. DH and I are hoping our local Walgreens has them, so we can pick them up for our flight.  The “free” masks come from the federal stash of them

• Like 1

6 hours ago, islandwannabee said:

Help, I am scheduled to leave tomorrow on the brilliance of the seas. I have a friend who is currently on the cruise and has been for a few weeks. She just told me it is a requirement to wear the N95 mask, if I don't have any they are providing them at guest services. I knew about the mask requirement. But I did not see it anywhere in the covid protocols that a certain type is only allowed. Does anyone know where this is in writing, or does the ships themselves have their own rules??

At this point, there is no requirement to wear an N 95 mask, KN95 or any other special mask. Just about any mask is acceptable.   Many passengers wear cloth masks.

As noted by others, a mask is provided in the cabin, and you may pick up additional masks at guest services or other locations around the ship.

of course, you will need a mask to enter the terminal, or the ship.   

M

edit  to add photo

this is what the cruise ship provides and what is acceptable. Masks are in individual packets 

5890C523-8EB6-4DA3-BDC8-FD8537F87BFA.jpeg

Edited by cruisegirl1

On 1/26/2022 at 11:27 AM, BND said:

I have not heard of any cruise line that requires N95 (I assume she means KN95 as N95 are medical/hospital grade and not really available to the public).   

FYI, N95 are readily available to public, although harder to find now.

N95 standard does not allow ear loops, it must be around the head and two bands.

• Like 2

Actually N95 masks are readily available to the public if you know how to search for them. We purchased them in bulk from Kimberly Clark (Kimtech), and use them on every cruise.

Medical grade N95 masks must be "face-fitted" to the user, and those are not widely available outside of hospital/medical facility environments.

Edited by orville99

On my round UK cruise in August it was announced that you could not leave the ship for our Scottish stop unless you were wearing a KN95 mask.  When we got there the crew were issuing them as you left the ship but didn't see anyone from the authorities checking.

On 1/28/2022 at 9:04 AM, orville99 said:

Actually N95 masks are readily available to the public if you know how to search for them. We purchased them in bulk from Kimberly Clark (Kimtech), and use them on every cruise.

Medical grade N95 masks must be "face-fitted" to the user, and those are not widely available outside of hospital/medical facility environments.

All N95s have to be fitted (contoured) to the person.  And must be fit tested to ensure a proper fit when used for protection in the workplace.

KN95 masks are available in many stores. The "C" warehouse store has been selling KN95 and N95 masks for many months (but since the CDC announcement, they are harder to get). 

34 minutes ago, SRF said:

All N95s have to be fitted (contoured) to the person.  And must be fit tested to ensure a proper fit when used for protection in the workplace.

Not entirely true. FDA medical/industrial grade N95 masks do, but the NIOSH designation N95 only represents the % of filtration (IIRC 95% of 0.3 micron particulates) provided when worn according to the manufacturer’s instructions. Both 3M and Kimberly-Clark make multiple varieties of N95 masks, only a few of which are FDA certified for clinical/industrial environments. The disposable ones we have from Kimberly-Clark are designed to form fit the face with two loops, one of which goes over the top of the head and the other which goes around the neck and an external nose piece that seals the top of the mask.

EF65D278-AD82-44F3-A01D-C8595EAC5E87.jpeg

Edited by orville99