Costa Magica to Carnival Fleet

brilliantseas

45 minutes ago, mz-s said:

Little did I know how right I would be. Although Carnival tricked me at the last minute and changed out the ship.

Maybe they changed the ship so they could keep the name.  Imagine Carnival Magic and Carnival Magica in the same fleet--nobody could keep them straight!

Just now, DCDragonfly said:

Maybe they changed the ship so they could keep the name.  Imagine Carnival Magic and Carnival Magica in the same fleet--nobody could keep them straight!

as is people already get confused with sunshine and sunrise

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, shof515 said:

as is people already get confused with sunshine and sunrise

Yes names are too similar and some folks are not really great with words or details in the first place. I’m surprised how many people I know have been on a cruise but don’t remember what ship. Or are going on one in the future and also don’t know what ship.

Not related but I thought it was crazy for MGM to name a hotel Park MGM across the street from MGM Grand. At least they don’t have to go very far. 

I guess as long as you show up at the right port on the right day at the right Cruise Line it doesn’t matter whether you know the name of the ship. 

13 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

Wish they would transfer Costa Deliziosa, too.  The last of the Spirit class.  They could replace to last of the Fantasy class when they are retired, as they can get into the ports the others can’t, like Tampa and JAX.  EM

According to the information machine this is a tiny bit larger - hybrid Spirit Vista class (not that Vista).  Does it still fit everywhere Fantasy class did? 

I found this on fb social media somewhere..

-------------------

Costa Luminosa to Transfer to Carnival Cruise Line.
Carnival Cruise Line announced today that Costa Luminosa will join the Carnival fleet in September and will start guest operations as Carnival Luminosa in November 2022 from Brisbane, Australia.
According to a statement, the acquisition of Luminosa is an update to the previously announced plans for Carnival to take Costa Magica, which will now remain at Costa Cruises.
After this delivery, Carnival Luminosa will operate seasonally from October through April from Brisbane,
then reposition to Seattle, where it will sail Alaska itineraries
from May through September, before returning to Brisbane.
The Luminosa is a sister ship to the four other popular Spirit class ships that already sail for Carnival.

Luminosa.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KmomChicago said:

According to the information machine this is a tiny bit larger - hybrid Spirit Vista class (not that Vista).  Does it still fit everywhere Fantasy class did? 

Yes, the Spirit class were the first of the Vista class (HAL, Cunard QV and QE, believe P&O-UK had one too).  They sail from Baltimore and Tampa, and have sailed from JAX.  EM

32 minutes ago, Essiesmom said:

Yes, the Spirit class were the first of the Vista class (HAL, Cunard QV and QE, believe P&O-UK had one too).  They sail from Baltimore and Tampa, and have sailed from JAX.  EM

Right, I am familiar with the current Carnival Spirit class from those ports but did not realize the larger hybrids had also already sailed from the same ports.

20 minutes ago, KmomChicago said:

Right, I am familiar with the current Carnival Spirit class from those ports but did not realize the larger hybrids had also already sailed from the same ports.

Yes, they are a bit larger, but that difference is in length (5’) and breadth (10’ wider). They have the same number of decks.  EM

Is Carnival downsizing Costa? They'll be down to 12 ships after this transfer. They also lost two ships to Carnival's China Line recently. There's also no future builds planned for Costa.

Edited by toad455

11 minutes ago, toad455 said:

Is Carnival downsizing Costa? They'll be down to 12 ships after this transfer. They also lost two ships to Carnival's China Line recently. There's also no future builds planned for Costa.

I wouldn't be surprised but I don't think they've announced anything to that effect yet.

1 hour ago, Essiesmom said:

Yes, they are a bit larger, but that difference is in length (5’) and breadth (10’ wider). They have the same number of decks.  EM

big fan of the Spirit class, so here are a few differences that i noticed in comparing them.  Also might give some clue as to how the Spirit class will be eventually 'Sunshined" in order to make the ship more profitable.

1.  Luminosa is 5 ft longer, 10 feet wider, 6570 tons more displacement

2.  Luminosa interior cabins are larger due to the ship being 10ft wider.  This results in interior cabins having couches like OV and balconies on Spirit

2.  Luminosa has 68 more cabins (1130 vs 1062)

3.  Luminosa has a full exterior promenade on Deck 3, vs the interior promenade at the bow on Spirit.

4.  Luminosa main theatre is only 2 decks high, so it has cabins on deck 4 instead of theatre seating like Spirit

5.  Mini Suites and Suites on Luminosa are in the hump/bump out, between life boats, on decks 4-8, vs regular balconies on Spirit.

6.  Starting on Deck 9, the Luminosa's structure is much larger, where as Spirits decks, start tapering in in overall size.  This is most notable on decks 11-12

7.  Luminosa only has 2 pools, not 3.  So only 1 pool mid ship and 1 at the stern.  So I wonder if the Luminosa will have Serenity at the back.

8.  No waterworks on Luminosa.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I couldn’t tell from pics if the obstructed OV cabins behind the lifeboats on 4 have the French doors, or the window.  I also noted at being 10 feet wider, she is too wide for the original locks of the Panama Canal.  She also doesn’t appear to have that secret passage on deck 3 in the bow, around the theater.  I would love to do a cruise on her, but I’m not downunder and don’t know f I want to do Alaska again.  It’s the travel to the jumping off point that is the problem.  EM

• Like 1

4 hours ago, toad455 said:

After Jubilee, there are no planned new builds for any Carnival Corp line other than Princess (2x 175,000 GT Sphere cass vessels).

Costa took on a lot of new capacity between 2019-2021 with two Vista class (Venezia, Firenze) and two Excellence class (Smeralda and Toscana). That's 18,000+ lower berths in, and the disposals (Luminosa, Victoria, Atlantica, Mediterreanea, neoRiviera neoRomantica) only represent around 11,500 lower berths.

Total list of ships under contruction/on order:

Aida - NONE

Carnival - Carnival Celebration & Carnival Jubilee

Costa - NONE

Cunard - Queen Anne

Holland America - NONE

P&O Cruises - Arvia

P&O Australia - NONE

Princess - Sphere Class 1 & 2

Seabourn - Seabourn Venture & Seabourn Pursuit

Fleet size early 2020 was 100+ and have had 23 exit or planned to exit the fleet.

During one of the recent inaugural cruises (I believe Mardi Gras), Micky Arison commented on how great the Excel-class ships are and work great cross brands. He also mentioned that Aida will not receive another ship that size given the market for that line and there are plans for smaller ships.

Industry is always looking years out - I'd be shocked if they didn't have plans for new builds that were delayed by the pandemic. If the remainder of 2022 is calm, bookings pick up, debt paid down/restructured again, I wouldn't be surprised to see a modest order of a couple ships to be announced.  The yards haven't any orders booked in the past two years and they can probably negotiated a decent price, IMO.

Brian

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, CruiseHealing said:

So will the Alaska cruise in 2023 be an additional cruise for Alaska with Spirit or will it replace Spirit?  The Spirit replaced the Freedom for 2023 Alaska cruise.

It will be Spirit, Luminosa, and Miracle. Spirit will reposition from Seattle to Mobile (via a Panama Canal sailing ending in New Orleans) after the 2023 Alaska season.  Miracle will provide Alaska and Baja California service from San Francisco before heading back to Long Beach.

6 hours ago, tidecat said:

It will be Spirit, Luminosa, and Miracle. Spirit will reposition from Seattle to Mobile (via a Panama Canal sailing ending in New Orleans) after the 2023 Alaska season.  Miracle will provide Alaska and Baja California service from San Francisco before heading back to Long Beach.

Why would a PC sailing end in New Orleans if the ship is going to Mobile? There's no sense sending it the six hours up the river ... just send it to Mobile.

Also, can't remember the last time a Panama Canal sailing had anything to do with New Orleans, other than like a massive 28-day NCL sailing.

24 minutes ago, keels81 said:

Why would a PC sailing end in New Orleans if the ship is going to Mobile? There's no sense sending it the six hours up the river ... just send it to Mobile.

Also, can't remember the last time a Panama Canal sailing had anything to do with New Orleans, other than like a massive 28-day NCL sailing.

Mobile has poor air service (I grew up there, I know firsthand), although you think Carnival could use it as an opportunity to sell a two-hour shuttle ride down I-10. I think that sailing might have actually started out as SEA-MOB. Most likely there will be a pretty substantial crew change at New Orleans.

20 hours ago, bstel said:

Luminosa has a full exterior promenade on Deck 3, vs the interior promenade at the bow on Spirit.

This seems promising.  The other features we like on ships lately are a bar for dancing, and the availability of food outside and or on the pool decks.  The Cantina was amazing, and some ships have a branch office of the buffet outside.  

• Like 1

• 7 months later...