Just curious for RCI enthusiasts

I just received my Loyal to Royal scratch off poster.

can anyone tell me why the Vision Class is called that when the Grandeur was the first to be built and the Vision was the last built?

I think the Vision class was the first time they stared calling groups of ships classes but I’m not sure.

just curious

They decided to name the class with the same name they had for the project 'Project Vision'.

It's definitely not the first time that group of ships have been named classes, that practice was already common in the 19th century. (If you are talking about Royal Only, they already had the Sovereign class by that time)

Edited by darthvadrouw
  • Thanks 1

Yes, the plan for new cruise ships with much more glass (windows) for seagazing was called Project Vision, before any ships were built.

Voyager class ships were called Project Eagle.  Freedom class ships were originally called ultra-voyager class.

BTW, Vision class ships are not "six sisters".  They are three pairs of twins.  (when built).  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

16 hours ago, Merion_Mom said:

BTW, Vision class ships are not "six sisters".  They are three pairs of twins.  (when built).  

Yeah, Enchantment is the twin of Grandeur, but had a growth spurt. 😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

16 hours ago, Merion_Mom said:

Yes, the plan for new cruise ships with much more glass (windows) for seagazing was called Project Vision, before any ships were built.

Voyager class ships were called Project Eagle.  Freedom class ships were originally called ultra-voyager class.

I remember too when the Oasis class was Project Genesis.

• Like 1

Merion Mom is correct:  the name is all about the massive windows.  I was on the Vision the first year she was in service, and went through the Panama Canal.  There's no place on the ship where you can't get a good view.  If they ever have another PC with the Vison, I am on it!!!

19 hours ago, cruisnfool said:

can anyone tell me why the Vision Class is called that when the Grandeur was the first to be built and the Vision was the last built?

FYI - Legend and Splendour were the first Vision class twins built, not Grandeur and Enchantment.

More info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vision-class_cruise_ship

Edited by Another_Critic
  • Like 1

Now I'm curious. I thought Radiance class was built with all the glass and the views in mind. Do the Vision class ships have more/better views than the Radiance class ships? Our first cruise was on Enchantment. We were just so overwhelmed with the whole experience that we didn't notice whether there were spectacular views or not. We've been on all four Radiance class ships and love the views through all of the glass. 

8 minutes ago, cruiseguy1016 said:

Now I'm curious. I thought Radiance class was built with all the glass and the views in mind. Do the Vision class ships have more/better views than the Radiance class ships? Our first cruise was on Enchantment. We were just so overwhelmed with the whole experience that we didn't notice whether there were spectacular views or not. We've been on all four Radiance class ships and love the views through all of the glass. 

I think they expanded on that concept as each new class came out.

BTW Freedom, Quantume, and Oasis class ships did name their first born after the class

And do go onto Ebay as sometimes there are some great DVDs about the making of Voyager and Oasis class ships.   

On 1/31/2022 at 9:06 AM, Merion_Mom said:

They were planning to enlarge Grandeur, too.  The plan was scrapped because it would cost too much.

True. 

But, I have heard the issue is, they added a bunch of cabins, but the WJ, MDR, and theater are the same size, so things tend to be crowded. 

OTOH you do get a second outdoor pool, and another set of hot tubs. 😄

On 1/30/2022 at 4:26 PM, Merion_Mom said:

On 1/31/2022 at 8:53 AM, The Yorkshire Cruiser said:

I remember too when the Oasis class was Project Genesis.

Eagle of the Seas wouldn't be a bad name but Genesis of the Seas? Visions of Phil Collins in a sail boat come to mind.😉

• Like 1

On 1/31/2022 at 9:06 AM, Merion_Mom said:

They were planning to enlarge Grandeur, too.  The plan was scrapped because it would cost too much.

Radiance class ships introduced in 2000 also addressed the passenger load that enlarging Enchantment attained, so this also was part of the cost benefit that would not be realized with Grandeur.  And Radiance class also took the Vision class glass ideas to a much higher level, with outward facing views a key design point.  They also incorporated the port side glass elevators that faced outward, highlighting this concept.

• Like 1

On 1/31/2022 at 10:36 AM, pcur said:

Merion Mom is correct:  the name is all about the massive windows.  I was on the Vision the first year she was in service, and went through the Panama Canal.  There's no place on the ship where you can't get a good view.  If they ever have another PC with the Vison, I am on it!!!

I've done it! 😄 

On 2/1/2022 at 10:15 AM, SRF said:

True. 

But, I have heard the issue is, they added a bunch of cabins, but the WJ, MDR, and theater are the same size, so things tend to be crowded. 

OTOH you do get a second outdoor pool, and another set of hot tubs. 😄

This is true.  At least now, with GREATLY reduced passenger numbers, not an issue.

It still seems so strange to me that Enchantment only has the one specialty restaurant.  (Chops).  They managed to shoe-horn in Izumi and Giovanni's on Grandeur.  (sticking to the twins theme)