Princess It's Time For A New Tier

cruzsnooze

4 hours ago, caribill said:

Not really practical.

For disembarking the ship, Elites (and suites) usually just get at the end of the current line for a tender. Sometimes they have to instead meet separately from the non-Elites and get a tender for Elites.

When does this way, no Elite pushes ahead of someone in a line. What the non-Elites do not see does not make them unhappy.

But for returning to the ship, those not eligible would be seeing the Elites bypass them in line and be quite upset. Result, very unhappy non-Elites, especially if waiting in a line when it is cold and raining.

It would probably be as useful as the Elite line at Passenger Services. (It's not) There's no way they could keep letting Elite people return to the ship and let the other passengers line get longer and longer. It just wouldn't work.

4 hours ago, caribill said:

Yes, the new Internet is unlimited minutes, but for those of us who made do with the free minutes, it is not a bargain.

For those of us who stream and enjoy all the features of the internet, it is a great bargain.

• Like 1

I am in the camp of always needed much more than the free minutes and it was slow.  The logout was always an issue too.  I am happy we have faster and unlimited internet now.  I know lots got by with the free minutes, but just saying we are happy with the U/L plans now and getting 50% off is great.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

I am in the camp of always needed much more than the free minutes and it was slow.  The logout was always an issue too.  I am happy we have faster and unlimited internet now.  I know lots got by with the free minutes, but just saying we are happy with the U/L plans now and getting 50% off is great.

This was the first time my husband needed to work while cruising, and he was prepared for painful, but was delightfully surprised by how incredibly fast it is, now.

We paid exactly $50 for four of our devices to have unlimited internet for 10 days. I consider that a huge bargain.

As technology improves, year over year, a once desired perk will be rendered utterly meaningless down the road as it becomes far more affordable. 

Some see it as a loss, but in my mind, that is a silly way to look at things. You don't lift yourself up by bringing others down.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

The only time I have seen much of a line for returning tenders is at Princess Cay.  Not much incentive to me for other ports we have been to.

Try a Hawaii cruise and see the tender line in Maui!  We have waited up to an hour in the tender line.  This is mostly due to the Lahaina Dock Master's priorities but return tender lines definitely do exist.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, MissP22 said:

So basically the priority tender getting off the ship doesn't offer a thing extra since it only means getting at the end of an existing line. 

That doesn't offer anything as I see it. 

The existing line is the one currently boarding the tender. Usually you would make it onto that currently boarding tender. If not, you would be at the front of the line for the next tender. Much better than having to wait in a dining room to be called after many others who were at the dining room before you.

3 hours ago, MissP22 said:

Those same people see the elites cutting in front of them all the time at the PSD.

Perhaps they should eliminate the special line at the PSD so as to not upset anyone watching.

That special line (which also include those staying in suites) is not always the quickest way for an Elite to get served. If the person being served has a time-consuming issue, the regular line will be a faster option as there is only one staff member to help all those in the Elite line, but usually several people helping those in the regular line.

57 minutes ago, billco said:

For those of us who stream and enjoy all the features of the internet, it is a great bargain.

I agree.

But the benefit should be free Internet access as that would cost Princess about the same as what the free minutes were worth pre-Medallionnet.

16 minutes ago, Kmkub said:

We paid exactly $50 for four of our devices to have unlimited internet for 10 days. I consider that a huge bargain.

A four device package is $20/day pre-cruise, so half would be $10/day and for 10 days would be $100.

How did you get it for just $50?

4 minutes ago, caribill said:

I agree.

But the benefit should be free Internet access as that would cost Princess about the same as what the free minutes were worth pre-Medallionnet.

As a customer, I want everything I can get as cheap as I can get it.

As a shareholder, Princess, and all the cruise lines, are bleeding money right now. Cost saving measures are appreciated.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, caribill said:

A four device package is $20/day pre-cruise, so half would be $10/day and for 10 days would be $100.

How did you get it for just $50?

One device was included in our fare. The $50 was to upgrade to four.

45 minutes ago, Musky Ike said:

I think they have bigger issues to work on right now.

What issue is bigger then getting you back to sailing? If perks help tip the scale in their favor it's beneficial to both them and you. With RCL back on the west coast Princess has more competition and should look at what their competitor offers.   

I was suggesting a new tier , not revising the current tiers or taking away anything anyone already has.

38 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

That is our feeling too.....especially on longer cruises we have no problem with the 50% off unlimited minutes versus the old days where 500 minutes went really fast because of the slowness of the internet on board at that time.

1 hour ago, mtnesterz said:

This really says it. Think back to a time when we all started cruising with Princess. What got us all started and what kept us coming back. It was about ports of call, consistency, ports of embarkation/disembarkation and branding; what makes Princess distinctive. Elite was far out of reach. Princess' best perk was being true to themselves; leaning toward traditional without being stuffy about it.

Instead, Princess gave us the Medallion debacle and the end of free internet and loyalty points. How many here are looking at other lines after using their built up FCD, FCC, OBC?

So should Princess raise the bar higher? I don't think so.

Well stated.  I am not Elite, so perhaps a different perspective...someone a few posts back stated that perks that are less visible would be the way to go.  I think that's the answer.  I'll use my Marriott status as an example.  I am Lifetime Platinum (takes 10 years of Platinum and at least 600 nights stay).  Yeah, they have a special line for check-in at the more prestigious hotels.  But the real perks are not visible.  Guaranteed room, late check-out, early check-in, free room upgrades, 5 free Suite night upgrades a year, extra points for my stay, and a few other lesser perks.  No one else sees those perks...no one feels like a second class citizen...but I get advantages I can use.  Perhaps if Princess gives free specialty dining, free room upgrade. add a drink or two to the drink package...simple stuff like that. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Centsless_Cruiser said:

Try a Hawaii cruise and see the tender line in Maui!  We have waited up to an hour in the tender line.  This is mostly due to the Lahaina Dock Master's priorities but return tender lines definitely do exist.

Look at these lines for tenders.

Now imagine how happy those in line would be to watch people totally bypass the line.

(The last two photos are at Princess Cays looking forward and back from where we were in line.)

632 3.12.12 Tender waiting area, San Juan del Sur 100_8187 small.jpg

081 4.14.06 Line on Royale Is. to return to Regal Princess IMGP0623.JPG

990107 102 01.07.15 Princess Cays - Line for tender to return to ship DSC05948 small.jpg

990107 103 01.07.15 Princess Cays - Line for tender to return to ship DSC05949 small.jpg

• Thanks 2

I'm not sure if anyone knows this, but is there some reason why cruise days don't count double if you book a suite? Just seems off that a person who books a 2 day cruise in a suite gets the same 2 credits as one that sails on a 25 day cruise in a suite. I'm not complaining, as I know that's just the way it is. But being someone that books 3-5 week Princess cruises rather than 3-7 day cruises, I was just curious.

13 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

I'm not sure if anyone knows this, but is there some reason why cruise days don't count double if you book a suite? Just seems off that a person who books a 2 day cruise in a suite gets the same 2 credits as one that sails on a 25 day cruise in a suite. I'm not complaining, as I know that's just the way it is. But being someone that books 3-5 week Princess cruises rather than 3-7 day cruises, I was just curious.

My best guess is that someone who is going to take a 25 day cruise in a suite, is going to do it with or without the loyalty points.

Someone doing multiple one-day cruise overnights in the PNW isn't enjoying cruising as much as working their way quickly towards top tier. I would never cruise an overnight for the "enjoyment" of it. There's nothing to enjoy, really, on such a quick overnighter. 

Princess (or any company, really,) has to attract customers who wouldn't normally do a "thing," anyway.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Centsless_Cruiser said:

Maybe the work being done at the port will improve this in the future. 

58 minutes ago, Mississippian said:

People do die.

At a much slower rate than others build points.   Bottom line is that the longer things go on the more that will reach the top tier. Adding another level does not resolve that.

We just finished our 11th Princess cruise. We have 119 cruise days. We may never achieve Elite status as we will be trying other cruise lines. A few years ago we were on a Princess cruise with a young couple who were Elite. They were telling us how they achieved this by booking one day cruises between Seattle and Vancouver every year until they reached Elite. They had a fraction of the cruise days we had, but they were Elite. Even someone just taking 7 day cruises out of Port Everglades could achieve Elite status after 105 cruise days. Maybe all cruise lines should consider rewarding people for cruise days over number of cruises. With that thought out of the way, our recent cruise on Emerald had very few Elite and Platinum guests. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, caribill said:

The existing line is the one currently boarding the tender. Usually you would make it onto that currently boarding tender. If not, you would be at the front of the line for the next tender. Much better than having to wait in a dining room to be called after many others who were at the dining room before you.

That special line (which also include those staying in suites) is not always the quickest way for an Elite to get served. If the person being served has a time-consuming issue, the regular line will be a faster option as there is only one staff member to help all those in the Elite line, but usually several people helping those in the regular line.

If the people at the PSD would call the next person in the elite/suite line next then it work as intended but most times they just call anyone. I'm thinking they don't want to offend the lower class people at times. 

3 hours ago, cruzsnooze said:

What issue is bigger then getting you back to sailing? If perks help tip the scale in their favor it's beneficial to both them and you. With RCL back on the west coast Princess has more competition and should look at what their competitor offers.   

I was suggesting a new tier , not revising the current tiers or taking away anything anyone already has.

How about the health of the passengers and crew, an app that needs serious work for pre-cruise, lack customer service availability.. .  I and many others are continuing to book with Princess under the current system and more will follow as the bigger things get fixed. I would likely still cruise with Princess without this program, and we are elite. Captain's Circle levels should just not be a top priority right now. Just IMO.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, caribill said:

Look at these lines for tenders.

Now imagine how happy those in line would be to watch people totally bypass the line.

(The last two photos are at Princess Cays looking forward and back from where we were in line.)

632 3.12.12 Tender waiting area, San Juan del Sur 100_8187 small.jpg

081 4.14.06 Line on Royale Is. to return to Regal Princess IMGP0623.JPG

990107 102 01.07.15 Princess Cays - Line for tender to return to ship DSC05948 small.jpg

990107 103 01.07.15 Princess Cays - Line for tender to return to ship DSC05949 small.jpg

Simple.

Just cruise more to get yourself in the class that offers priority boarding back to the ship or leave the beach earlier to avoid the main crowd.