Princess It's Time For A New Tier

cruzsnooze

Any loyalty system based upon lifetime cruise days will eventually fail.  Current on the Grand and the 3 most traveled had over 1700 cruise days.  You could double the number of days and the same problems would remain.

Might be better to go with a point system that can be traded for benefits, with maybe a smaller set of life time benefits.

1 hour ago, afurman said:

When was the last time you were on RCL with the D+ reserved seating perk?  My last two cruises which were November and December of last year on Royal I never saw it and I have D+ status with them, really wasn't needed on either cruise since the ships weren't sailing full.  On the Internet side I actually prefer the new benefit over the previous one of free minutes.  With it being 50% off makes it very cheap would be nicer to be free but I still find this perk to be better than Royal D+ of 2 Free Days which you can't even get the discount if you booked it in advance, at least Princess provides the 50% off if you book it in advance which you might not see until you board the ship but they at least give it to you where Royal doesn't.  The two lines are completely different depending upon what you are looking for in terms of a vacation.

I prefer the 50% internet on Princess too. O prefer RCL's happy hour with 3 comped drinks daily which goes farther then 20 drinks if your on a longer cruise then 7 days. I get 3 waters or diet cokes every day and so does room mate so it's 6 drinks a day. RCL and Princess vary in perks, my preference goes to RCL but since Princess uses a port I can drive to I sail more with them.  Both are similar mass market lines not too different and I'd choose either one. RCL has more activities especially for families which makes them a bit livelier .  Both have good service and good food and RCL has a better buffet. I sailed on NCL's Bliss last month and wouldn't sail with them again. 

3 minutes ago, smbt1 said:

Any loyalty system based upon lifetime cruise days will eventually fail.  Current on the Grand and the 3 most traveled had over 1700 cruise days.  You could double the number of days and the same problems would remain.

What problems would remain? The current system has been in effect for decades and is not failing. I was suggesting a new tier not reinventing the wheel.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, cruzsnooze said:

What problems would remain? The current system has been in effect for decades and is not failing. I was suggesting a new tier not reinventing the wheel.

Based upon the comments about the current program , that it is useless because of the number of elites. That seems to be failing   Any lifetime program will have an increasing number in the top tier 

So, is the issue that there is a problem with one being treated like everyone else?  Would you stop cruising with Princess if they did away with the Captains Circle program altogether?  Do we sail on Princess because we enjoy the atmosphere and itineraries or is it because we can get in lines ahead of other people?

Having a dedicated Elite+ water shuttle would in fact incur costs of additional fuel and crew to staff the water shuttle.  What happens when an Elite+ shows up at the dock for return to ship two minutes after the Elite+ water shuttle has left?  Does that person get to cut the line of the other paying passengers patiently waiting for their turn to board a return to ship?

Given Princess' current financial standing, I wouldn't expect them to be adding new free perks anytime soon.

• Like 12

6 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

So, is the issue that there is a problem with one being treated like everyone else?  Would you stop cruising with Princess if they did away with the Captains Circle program altogether?  Do we sail on Princess because we enjoy the atmosphere and itineraries or is it because we can get in lines ahead of other people?

Having a dedicated Elite+ water shuttle would in fact incur costs of additional fuel and crew to staff the water shuttle.  What happens when an Elite+ shows up at the dock for return to ship two minutes after the Elite+ water shuttle has left?  Does that person get to cut the line of the other paying passengers patiently waiting for their turn to board a return to ship?

Given Princess' current financial standing, I wouldn't expect them to be adding new free perks anytime soon.

The suggestion is for Elite+ passengers to have priority tendering back from shore to ship. There doesn't need to be a separate tender for them. A separate line would do. Let the Elite+ passengers board first and then fill up the tender with other passengers and leave.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, geoherb said:

The suggestion is for Elite+ passengers to have priority tendering back from shore to ship. There doesn't need to be a separate tender for them. A separate line would do. Let the Elite+ passengers board first and then fill up the tender with other passengers and leave.  

A separate line still adds complexity. It would require space that some ports really do not have. If enough people have it does it really improve value, or does it do more to annoy cruisers that would not have status.  After all it would clearly be a more visible cutting of the line than the existing tender benefit leaving the ship.

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

Great post. In the main I have no problem with people being rewarded for their loyalty but the rewards need to be allocated tactfully, that doesn't make Elite's or others feel uncomfortable (eg like queue jumping). I have no issue with priority boarding as we see that all the time at airports. Things like the laundry, mini bar, and even a meal in a specialty restaurant is the way to go. 

Personally I'd love to see the word "Elite" removed from the tiers and replaced with something that sounds less, well elitist. It just comes across to me as a class that is superior to others. I think along the lines of Gold, Platinum etc is the way to go. Just me. 

• Like 6

33 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

The only value that I find in the Captain Circles program is the reduce rate for Platinum Princess Vacation Protection.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, leck57 said:

Great post. In the main I have no problem with people being rewarded for their loyalty but the rewards need to be allocated tactfully, that doesn't make Elite's or others feel uncomfortable (eg like queue jumping). I have no issue with priority boarding as we see that all the time at airports. Things like the laundry, mini bar, and even a meal in a specialty restaurant is the way to go. 

Personally I'd love to see the word "Elite" removed from the tiers and replaced with something that sounds less, well elitist. It just comes across to me as a class that is superior to others. I think along the lines of Gold, Platinum etc is the way to go. Just me. 

In the vein of your last sentence I suggest Rhodium.

• Haha 1

The way I feel and this is just my opinion so for what it’s worth… We have already had benefits taken away from the Elite cruisers so why create another tier that we can look forward to obtaining just so that can be taken away too.  I now have over 20 cruises and one week before they took that benefit away I had commented to a Princess employee that I was looking forward to that benefit and you can see where that got me, lol.

I have decided that I will probably try other cruise lines again instead of just Princess Cruises.  I love Princess but I will try other lines if the price and itineraries are more attractive to me.

Edited by MsSoCalCruiser
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, smbt1 said:

Based upon the comments about the current program , that it is useless because of the number of elites. That seems to be failing   Any lifetime program will have an increasing number in the top tier 

Nothing is useless it's diluted. Waiting for comped laundry for 2 days VS 1 is not useless, as an example. A higher tier would probably not get enough people on any sailing to dilute a few extra perks like a day pass to the spa or solarium or reserved show seats. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, leck57 said:

Because I agree with you I always use "elite tier" rather then just the word elite. It sounds elitist to say I'm elite but better stating I'm at the elite tier. 

When you go to guest services there is a separate line for suites/elite tier which everyone can see. It is usually the last station to the left of the counter. 

Edited by cruzsnooze
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Daniel A said:

There's the other side of this too................maybe new perks (that don't cost Princess anything) might help bookings. Since I resumed cruising  in Sept I have cruised 3 times, once on RCl, Once NCL and Princess. I think Princess would have preferred I sailed all 3 with them. If all things are relatively equal then loyalty programs kick in, isn't that what they're designed to do?

21 minutes ago, cruzsnooze said:

Nothing is useless it's diluted. Waiting for comped laundry for 2 days VS 1 is not useless, as an example. A higher tier would probably not get enough people on any sailing to dilute a few extra perks like a day pass to the spa or solarium or reserved show seats. 

Well then the problems that others stated with the start of this discussion are clearly not a problem, and there is no need to change the program. 

Others seemed to take a different view of the dilution.

As far as my view any changes are much more likely to be negative, when it comes to value, rather than be positive.

17 minutes ago, cruzsnooze said:

There's the other side of this too................maybe new perks (that don't cost Princess anything) might help bookings. Since I resumed cruising  in Sept I have cruised 3 times, once on RCl, Once NCL and Princess. I think Princess would have preferred I sailed all 3 with them. If all things are relatively equal then loyalty programs kick in, isn't that what they're designed to do?

Even "free" perks cost. it might be labor, it might be opportunity cost, but for just about anything they might offer there is a cost.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, billco said:

Why add new perks? It makes more sense to provide the more popular perks/diluted to those with 365+ days, such as free laundry and mini bar.

15 hours ago, cruzsnooze said:

Because it hurts to take away the perks already enjoyed by the elite tier. Perhaps limit the current elites to one free bag of laundry per week and unlimited for a new higher tier.

Not the way it usually is done. Other cruise lines just eliminate the best perks for lower levels and give them to the new upper tier.

Note that Princess took away free Internet minutes and loyalty credit, not caring how much "it hurts to take away the perks already enjoyed by the elite tier."

15 hours ago, cruzsnooze said:

Something that would not cost Princess anything would be priority tender coming back to the ship at ports not just disembarking at ports. 

Not really practical.

For disembarking the ship, Elites (and suites) usually just get at the end of the current line for a tender. Sometimes they have to instead meet separately from the non-Elites and get a tender for Elites.

When does this way, no Elite pushes ahead of someone in a line. What the non-Elites do not see does not make them unhappy.

But for returning to the ship, those not eligible would be seeing the Elites bypass them in line and be quite upset. Result, very unhappy non-Elites, especially if waiting in a line when it is cold and raining.

• Like 5

11 hours ago, geoherb said:

I also could have made do with the formerly free internet minutes on that cruise instead of spending $35 for the week.

We have always made do with the free minutes. In fact, we never used them all up, usually spending about 20 minutes a day online.

For an upcoming 33 days on a Princess ship, we will be going from free Internet (minutes) to paying $165. What a great benefit!

By the way, when packages of minutes were sold, for a 7-day cruise the $150 free minutes were worth about $75.  The new half-price benefit for 7 days is worth $35.  Those happy with the half-price benefit are still getting less of a $$ benefit than before.

Yes, the new Internet is unlimited minutes, but for those of us who made do with the free minutes, it is not a bargain.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, caribill said:

Not really practical.

For disembarking the ship, Elites (and suites) usually just get at the end of the current line for a tender. Sometimes they have to instead meet separately from the non-Elites and get a tender for Elites.

When does this way, no Elite pushes ahead of someone in a line. What the non-Elites do not see does not make them unhappy.

But for returning to the ship, those not eligible would be seeing the Elites bypass them in line and be quite upset. Result, very unhappy non-Elites, especially if waiting in a line when it is cold and raining.

So basically the priority tender getting off the ship doesn't offer a thing extra since it only means getting at the end of an existing line. 

That doesn't offer anything as I see it. 

Providing return tender service if limited to only a few of the top elites would cost them nothing and wouldn't upset people at all. It's not like a group of 20 people marching past the crowd to board first.

Those same people see the elites cutting in front of them all the time at the PSD.

Perhaps they should eliminate the special line at the PSD so as to not upset anyone watching.

1 hour ago, MissP22 said:

Those same people see the elites cutting in front of them all the time at the PSD.

Perhaps they should eliminate the special line at the PSD so as to not upset anyone watching.

The line at the PSD is not usually as long as the lines for the water shuttles (both to and fro.)  Additionally, the PSD Suite/Elite line is limited to just one station at the PSD.  If there are Suite/Elite Pax waiting in that line, they stay in that line, and are not prioritized to cut in front of the Pax already waiting for service at one of the other stations.  Pax waiting at the PSD are not waiting while exposed to sometimes adverse weather conditions.

Princess needs to limit the number of highly visible perks given to higher tiers and not rub that special treatment in the faces of the peons in steerage.  If they don't, they will likely find many pax never even get to Gold or Ruby, but they instead will walk over to the competitors where they are treated more like equals.

• Like 4

16 hours ago, sttopmh said:

I don't need any additional tiers. We are loyal to Princess due to excellent service, ports, ships, food, etc. We are Platinum now, but don't really see the benefits, other than early boarding, of which don't often take advantage.

This really says it. Think back to a time when we all started cruising with Princess. What got us all started and what kept us coming back. It was about ports of call, consistency, ports of embarkation/disembarkation and branding; what makes Princess distinctive. Elite was far out of reach. Princess' best perk was being true to themselves; leaning toward traditional without being stuffy about it.

Instead, Princess gave us the Medallion debacle and the end of free internet and loyalty points. How many here are looking at other lines after using their built up FCD, FCC, OBC?

So should Princess raise the bar higher? I don't think so.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

The line at the PSD is not usually as long as the lines for the water shuttles (both to and fro.)  Additionally, the PSD Suite/Elite line is limited to just one station at the PSD.  If there are Suite/Elite Pax waiting in that line, they stay in that line, and are not prioritized to cut in front of the Pax already waiting for service at one of the other stations.  Pax waiting at the PSD are not waiting while exposed to sometimes adverse weather conditions.

True, but there are visible to other waiting on line. They actually do cut in front of the others waiting in line.                      If one elite or suite passenger walks up they will be taken next in front of all the others.

Princess needs to limit the number of highly visible perks given to higher tiers and not rub that special treatment in the faces of the peons in steerage.  If they don't, they will likely find many pax never even get to Gold or Ruby, but they instead will walk over to the competitors where they are treated more like equals.

By your definition they should removing the special priority line at the PSD so not offend the steerage people. 

Maybe they should only notify elite/suite people of their special privileges by email or letter & try to keep it a secret from the lower classes. 

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

Since my first time cruising with Princess in 2008, I have never once felt like a peon in steerage. 

• Like 3