The Daily for Thursday 02/10/2022

richwmn

5 minutes ago, lindaler said:

Good morning. Thanks Rich and all who contribute to make this a great place to be. Sharon @Sharon in AZ, I forgot to tell you I changed my picture. It is a Captain Teddy Bear I bought on our cruise to keep me company and have someone to talk too, since I was solo so much. I left it on board for my room steward’s two year old daughter. She was a cutie and the bear didn’t pack well so it was a good match. 

How sweet Linda!  I’m sure the little girl will love it and your room steward now has something to remember you by. 

• Like 19

Good morning, all! Flannel will definitely make an appearance today, in the form of a checkered over shirt. The umbrellas will,also,be,celebrated. It will,be,a,rain walk for sure today. Teddy bears are always loved. I have one here that used to be my mother’s. 
The quote is true, the meal,sounds good, and the drink is very Chrismassy. Worth filing away for next December! 
Today is pack and tidy up day. We start driving to Palm Springs early tomorrow morning.

@kazu I am so sorry about Marley’s diagnosis. The good news is he doesn’t feel sick, and can carry on enjoying life. I think you are wise to let him be happy and not destroy the time he has left. Let’s hope for the two year end of the prognosis. That will make him ten, which is a respectable life for a large dog anyway.

Happy Thursday, which would be far better celebrated aboard a BHB. Any BHB.

076A40DE-CD6A-4E8E-AC32-D4A43FA74429.thumb.jpeg.058a7b2632c1ba4339068909159133dc.jpeg

• Like 26
  • Thanks 1

Good morning from sunny and breezy Quartzsite.  Our low last night was in the upper 50sF and our high is predicted to be 80F.  I think our winter is behind us, so while the meal looks good, it will have to wait until next December or January,, and I can put away my two flannel shirts I wear over t-shirts on cold days.

My father kept several of my stuffed animals, including my favorite teddy bear.  When he and my stepmother moved into her house, I think he finally gave them away.  At least, I haven't seen them in decades.  We have a few umbrellas, but since we usually have a coat with a hood with us on a cruise, we don't add the travel umbrellas to the suitcases any more.  

I have seen today's quote before and really like it.  It's one we need to remember. @mamaofami I like your idea of a gratitude list, especially in trying times.

We'll pass on the drink, but the wine sounds good, but it is a bit pricey.

Hvar is one port in Croatia we've not been to.  It was on our Coral Princess cruise this year, but that cruise has been canceled.

@kazu  Jacqui, I am sorry that the blood tests showed Marley has cancer.  I totally agree that if he doesn't know he's sick and there is not cure at the moment, why make him suffer through invasive tests.  He has a good life and a great loving human mother to see that his future is good and comfortable.

@ger_77  Gerry, I hope your DH had as good a night on the new mattress as you did.

@marshhawk  That's an interesting story about your new neighbors and their washing machine.  If they have not left on their trip yet, you might suggest turning off the circuit breaker for the washer and the dryer.

@0106   I learned something today about Baltimore that I did not know.

@aliaschief  HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO  TILLY!  🎈

@Sea Viewer Hope your having a great time on your cruise.

@lindaera  What a cute bear, and I know your room steward's daughter will love it.  That was so nice of you.

@Horizon chaser 1957  Safe travels and enjoy your time in Palm Springs.

After the busy time of Christmas and recovering from the cruise and Christmas in January, now, we're just sitting around not doing much, except a few projects I don't want to do.  Yesterday we solved the problem for at lest three weeks.  We booked three cruises on the Koningsdam including two Mexico cruises followed by the California coastal.  We will be boarding on March 6 and be home on March 27.   It's been 22 years since we were in San Francisco, plus I've never been to Santa Barbara, and neither of us has been to Catalina.  Finally, new ports!

Lenda

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
  • Like 24
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, aliaschief said:

Jacqui, your furry family have been regular members of the CC boards for years.

Ahh, how sweet ♥️ 

1 hour ago, aliaschief said:

Enjoy the day and Happy Birthday to our  two year old granddaughter Tilly. Your a sweetheart!❤️ 

A very happy birthday to Tilly!

D963C75E-1DB1-4048-B938-55E177C86451.jpeg.10996b93ac2fadce03c8a0f07df2d56e.jpeg

3 hours ago, rafinmd said:

@kazu, so sorry to hear about the test results for Marley.  I hope he has many more years not knowing he is sick and you will not be too uncomfortable going on a cruise in the meantime.  Somehow it seems like just yesterday he was a puppy.

Thanks Roy.  I had already cancelled all plans until October this year due to DH so no worries about leaving anyone for some time.  

You’re right though - it dosn’t seem that long ago he was a puppy.  Time flies!

15 minutes ago, lindaler said:

Good morning. Thanks Rich and all who contribute to make this a great place to be. Sharon @Sharon in AZ, I forgot to tell you I changed my picture. It is a Captain Teddy Bear I bought on our cruise to keep me company and have someone to talk too, since I was solo so much. I left it on board for my room steward’s two year old daughter. She was a cutie and the bear didn’t pack well so it was a good match. 

What a lovely & thoughtful thing to do!  I bet the steward’s daughter was thrilled to receive the teddy bear ♥️ 

• Like 21

Good morning all!  It's a foggy, rainy morning here.  The weatherman says we'll have sun this week....but every day the forecast  says it's another day before we get it...hmm.

Since we get so much rain (usually more of a drizzle) here, not many people who have lived here very long bother with umbrellas.  There's a standing joke that you can always tell who the tourists are, because they're the ones with umbrellas.  @puppycanducruiseyou're so right about getting poked in the face with umbrellas.  One of my pet peeves.

I don't have any flannel myself, but my DD had quite a few flannel shirts.  When he passed away, I made "Memory Pillows" out of some of his shirts and gave them to the 7 great grandchildren.  

We have around 15 teddy bears that come out every Christmas.  Usually they're up and down the staircase, unless the grandsons have moved them to play with them.

Good quote, will pass on the meal, drink and wine.  We've been to several ports in Croatia, but not to Hvar.

@marshhawkI love your story about Stupid Bear.  I also got my love of travel from my Dad. 🙂  And I agree with others who have suggested you park a car in your neighbor's driveway.  Our neighbors do that for us when we're away.

@kazuI'm so sorry to hear about Marley, and agree with you and others that the best thing for him is to just give him the best life you can (which you always are doing).  Hopefully he will have a few good years.

The 7 memory pillows

1476017085_Memorypillows.jpg.747c64e01dbf409306ad230db669696d.jpg

Our oldest grandson when he was 18 months old with some of the teddy bears.

1075142782_fosterandteddybears.thumb.jpg.f3980ddae821d339138056e880aec1eb.jpg

Edited by Cruising-along
  • Like 30
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, kazu said:

Ahh, how sweet ♥️ 

What a lovely & thoughtful thing to do!  I bet the steward’s daughter was thrilled to receive the teddy bear ♥️ 

Every day my room steward would show me the new video he got of his daughter. For a while the crew was not allowed off and he was sad because he wanted to get his daughter a dress. So when we were off the ship I found the cutest pink dress. The next day he showed me a video from his daughter. At two she spoke perfect English and said, “Thank you mama Linda. Pink is my favorite color”.  Such a cutie. 

• Like 27

2 hours ago, aliaschief said:

Good morning! We’re pretty close on today’s meal of the day. Have the crock pot going with a ham, vegetable lentil soup with Kale for tonight’s repast.

Teddy Bear? Still have my original that has somehow survived over the years. In fact it’s still gives a weak grrrr when turning it over. They don’t make them like they used too.

Jacqui, your furry family have been regular members of the CC boards for years. Sad to hear about Marley’s diagnosis and I firmly hope you have extended comfort from his presence.

Didn’t sleep well last night and maybe it was because the body was busy shedding more weight! Not easy loosing 13 pounds but mainly it’s just no fun but sometimes necessary. With 25 days of cruising coming  up followed by 3 weeks in Kauai the struggle will surely continue.

Thanks Rich, Roy and to our food and beverage editors for today’s Daily! Also for some funny postings.

Enjoy the day and Happy Birthday to our  two year old granddaughter Tilly. Your a sweetheart!❤️ 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, dfish said:

Good morning, everyone.

It is a warm day here in northeast Ohio, relatively speaking.  We do have quite a bit of cloud cover.   I was up at 5 am with leg cramps and wasn't able to get back to sleep.  It will be a long day for me.  

@kazu I am so sorry to hear of Marley's test results.  I would proceed the exact same way you are.  As long as Marley doesn't know he's sick, carry on.  

Today's meal is a good one!   I may have to make this to have on hand.   https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/one-pot-spinach-beef-soup/

One-Pot-Spinach-Beef-Soup_EXPS_CSCSBZ19_159230_C04_05_1b-5.jpg.b72182961578e46553440b502b52da77.jpg

That version is high in carbs.  So, here's a low carb version:  https://stepawayfromthecarbs.com/low-carb-asian-beef-spinach-soup/

2051577283_Onepotspinachandbeefsoup2.jpg.b51d722f1e1d2a306f21fd0780962833.jpg

And, for a twist, one that uses white beans instead of pasta.  A bit more fiber there.  https://barefeetinthekitchen.com/italian-white-bean-spinach-and-beef/

white-bean2C-beef-and-spinach-soup-2.jpg.fd27a9234e3c04306cfe92a6953eec25.jpg

Prayers for those in need and cheers to all who are celebrating.   Wishing you all a wonderful day.

I used the low carb version as inspiration for lunch.  Sautéed the garlic in sesame oil and  sliced mushrooms, added soy sauce, then threw in some meatballs and stirred in a tablespoon of beef paste.  (Wanted the mushrooms and meatballs to soak up the flavor first.)  Then I poured in some boiling water from the kettle and let it simmer for 10 minutes.  (I was going to add some fresh ginger but I forgot.)  Just before serving I added spinach, bean sprouts, and sliced green onion.  My husband raved over it and I loved it too.  I will definitely make this again.  Thank you!

• Like 22
  • Thanks 3

4 minutes ago, puppycanducruise said:

Lights on timers, so it looks like someone is home in the evening.

Radio on timer during the day so it sounds like someone is home.

That's what I was going to say!  

Happy Birthday, Tilly!  🎂

Good morning, Dailyites, lots going on today!  Thanks for all the news.  Jacqui, I'm sorry about Marley, it does seem like yesterday when he was our Sailaway mascot, Master Marley, the paper-eating puppy.  I do remember you saying the dog ate your homework!  I hope he has a happy time while he can and at least you know what is going on and can watch him carefully.  Hope you have a nice long visit with Jose today.

We are making the saucy beans and artichoke hearts recipe from a few days ago, today.  It sounds interesting, and if it's good, we can use it when DS and his partner come for dinner sometime.  At the moment we don't see much of them, as DS is an optician and sees a lot of eyes.  He did mention that he has access to some tests, so we know where to go if we need one!  Our neighbours are packing up and preparing to move to an assisted living place.  We have decided to buy one of their sofas as ours is now about 56 years old - one of the first things we bought when we moved to the States.  I have loved it and will be sad to see it go, but it definitely is on its last legs.  Hope the "new" one will go with our chairs and Chinese carpet.  Oh, well, life goes on.  

Hvar sounds familiar, we have been to a number of ports in Croatia, - Split, Dubrovnik, Korcula, - I will have a look for Hvar.  But then again, maybe not.... My brain is shot.  Our cable company told us they would "no longer support" our really old PVR and we had to get a new box from them.  We spent hours yesterday, setting it up and programming it with what we want to have recorded, I'm still not sure if I did it right and have to keep checking, as Pat is very disappointed if what he wants to see is not there!  I made him watch an episode of Professor T last night, and I could laugh at his face as he saw similarities with himself!  (He's really not that bad...)

• Like 28

7 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

That's what I was going to say!  

Happy Birthday, Tilly!  🎂

Good morning, Dailyites, lots going on today!  Thanks for all the news.  Jacqui, I'm sorry about Marley, it does seem like yesterday when he was our Sailaway mascot, Master Marley, the paper-eating puppy.  I do remember you saying the dog ate your homework!  I hope he has a happy time while he can and at least you know what is going on and can watch him carefully.  Hope you have a nice long visit with Jose today.

We are making the saucy beans and artichoke hearts recipe from a few days ago, today.  It sounds interesting, and if it's good, we can use it when DS and his partner come for dinner sometime.  At the moment we don't see much of them, as DS is an optician and sees a lot of eyes.  He did mention that he has access to some tests, so we know where to go if we need one!  Our neighbours are packing up and preparing to move to an assisted living place.  We have decided to buy one of their sofas as ours is now about 56 years old - one of the first things we bought when we moved to the States.  I have loved it and will be sad to see it go, but it definitely is on its last legs.  Hope the "new" one will go with our chairs and Chinese carpet.  Oh, well, life goes on.  

Hvar sounds familiar, we have been to a number of ports in Croatia, - Split, Dubrovnik, Korcula, - I will have a look for Hvar.  But then again, maybe not.... My brain is shot.  Our cable company told us they would "no longer support" our really old PVR and we had to get a new box from them.  We spent hours yesterday, setting it up and programming it with what we want to have recorded, I'm still not sure if I did it right and have to keep checking, as Pat is very disappointed if what he wants to see is not there!  I made him watch an episode of Professor T last night, and I could laugh at his face as he saw similarities with himself!  (He's really not that bad...)

I hope you like the bean and artichoke recipe.I liked it and so did my vegetarians. I would make it again.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Daily.

No umbrella needed today, although there were flurries earlier. I like flannel at home, to keep warm. I have a few Teddy bears.

Great quote. I like the meal, pass on the drink, and the wine sounds good but too $$$.

I haven't been to Croatia.

It's sunny and cold now. Earlier it was cloudy with snow showers. I'm back from the dentist. Apparently the glue stuck to my tooth, but not the crown. Not sure what the dentist did, but supposedly it's fixed. We'll see.

@kazu  Enjoy visiting Jose today. So sorry to hear the news about Marley. I hope he has a lot more time and I know he's in your good care. In people sometimes multiple myeloma can be very indolent. There are also some oral meds used to treat it. I see a Hematologist for a possible myeloma protein and had a bone marrow and get bone surveys.

@ger_77 I hope the new mattress works out.

@aliaschief Congrats on the weight loss! Happy Birthday to Tilly!

@Cruising-along What a nice idea making memory pillows for the great grandchildren.

Prayers for the Care List and Cheers for the Celebration List.

Stay safe everyone.

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1

Good morning and thanks all. I too embrace the idea of gratitude, we are actually very fortunate ! 
@ger_77 glad to hear Simba didn’t roar!  
@kazu I too hope Marley gets many more good years!  With you caring for him, he will have the best quality of life possible!  One of our dogs got very ill and couldn’t walk, he had cancer and we hadn’t known as he never showed any signs,  and likely had it for quite some time.  
@aliaschiefhappy birthday to Tilley! 
We’ve been several times to four different places in Croatia, but not Hvar.  

BF0AD785-2436-436C-B50C-638445EC1211.jpeg

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 26

54 minutes ago, lindaler said:

Every day my room steward would show me the new video he got of his daughter. For a while the crew was not allowed off and he was sad because he wanted to get his daughter a dress. So when we were off the ship I found the cutest pink dress. The next day he showed me a video from his daughter. At two she spoke perfect English and said, “Thank you mama Linda. Pink is my favorite color”.  Such a cutie. 

What a sweet story of his daughter thanking "mama Linda".  It was very  nice of you to get her a dress when your steward couldn't get off the ship.

46 minutes ago, puppycanducruise said:

Lights on timers, so it looks like someone is home in the evening.

Radio on timer during the day so it sounds like someone is home.

That was also a suggestion I forgot to mention.  If possible, have the timers on the lights set to different times in different rooms, which makes it more believable that some one is home.  Maybe, even a light in the bathroom too.

17 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

On our canceled cruise, Hvar was listed as a port for tours to Split, so maybe you were there.  The pictures made it look interesting enough to explore.

3 minutes ago, JazzyV said:

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Daily.

No umbrella needed today, although there were flurries earlier. I like flannel at home, to keep warm. I have a few Teddy bears.

Great quote. I like the meal, pass on the drink, and the wine sounds good but too $$$.

I haven't been to Croatia.

It's sunny and cold now. Earlier it was cloudy with snow showers. I'm back from the dentist. Apparently the glue stuck to my tooth, but not the crown. Not sure what the dentist did, but supposedly it's fixed. We'll see.

@kazu  Enjoy visiting Jose today. So sorry to hear the news about Marley. I hope he has a lot more time and I know he's in your good care. In people sometimes multiple myeloma can be very indolent. There are also some oral meds used to treat it. I see a Hematologist for a possible myeloma protein and had a bone marrow and get bone surveys.

@ger_77 I hope the new mattress works out.

@aliaschief Congrats on the weight loss! Happy Birthday to Tilly!

@Cruising-along What a nice idea making memory pillows for the great grandchildren.

Prayers for the Care List and Cheers for the Celebration List.

Stay safe everyone.

Good the dentist was able to reset the crown.

Lenda

• Like 20

33 minutes ago, JazzyV said:

. I'm back from the dentist. Apparently the glue stuck to my tooth, but not the crown. Not sure what the dentist did, but supposedly it's fixed. We'll see.

Glad to hear the dentist was able to fix your crown.  Hopefully it holds 🤞 

• Like 15

Afternoon here now. Spent the morning at the shelter signing papers to begin renovation work on the kennels after the roof and HVAC are done. We are going to be doing some serious fund raising in the next year but our old kennels are weakening and the dogs are pushing through. And we are getting many big dogs.

Starting to think about booking a cruise.... a long one for 2023 or 2024. Really, I am serious about it. Me, who probably should not buy green bananas.

I am sorry to hear about Marley. I have had dogs all my life and know how hard it is when they are sick. I agree with not doing tests that really can not lead to a cure. The dogs don't know they are sick and they live for the day. We are the ones who worry and grieve.

The soup looks really good. Will have to give it a try. Our weather is fairly warm right now, but is supposed to cool off mid-week next week. That will be the next soup weather.

Susan

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, *Miss G* said:

I used the low carb version as inspiration for lunch.  Sautéed the garlic in sesame oil and  sliced mushrooms, added soy sauce, then threw in some meatballs and stirred in a tablespoon of beef paste.  (Wanted the mushrooms and meatballs to soak up the flavor first.)  Then I poured in some boiling water from the kettle and let it simmer for 10 minutes.  (I was going to add some fresh ginger but I forgot.)  Just before serving I added spinach, bean sprouts, and sliced green onion.  My husband raved over it and I loved it too.  I will definitely make this again.  Thank you!

That sounds great.  I always look at a recipe as a starting point and tweak it to my likes.   I'm glad this worked out so well for you.  

1 hour ago, smitty34877 said:

I hope you like the bean and artichoke recipe.I liked it and so did my vegetarians. I would make it again.

1 hour ago, Vict0riann said:

We are making the saucy beans and artichoke hearts recipe from a few days ago, today.  It sounds interesting, and if it's good, we can use it when DS and his partner come for dinner sometime.  

I hope the saucy beans and artichokes turn out well.  Be sure to let us know!   

1 hour ago, JazzyV said:

I'm back from the dentist. Apparently the glue stuck to my tooth, but not the crown. Not sure what the dentist did, but supposedly it's fixed. We'll see.

That is good news!   I'm glad it could be reseated and didn't need a new crown.  

• Like 20

Like the quote of the day.

The soup sounds good.  We often have homemade soup for lunch.

@kazuI am very sorry to hear Marley's diagnosis. If prayers and positive thoughts do work, Marley will be with you for a long time yet. He is so lucky to be part of your family.

Today is a good day.  The youngest grandson was diagnosed with a peanut allergy, and has now 'outgrown' it.  Such a relief. We are grateful. 

• Like 25