Hotel Silversea uses in Reykjavik

forgap

We plan a few days in Reykjavik post cruise and upon departure from the cruise we have a night at the “Simply Silversea” hotel in Reykjavik.  Google seem to locate this hotel so it must have another name.  Can anyone help? 

Can't speak to what hotel SS uses.  FWIW, the Hilton is excellent in Reykjavik.  It's set off a bit from the downtown/centre area, but is convenient to a bus stop that can get you around town.  At one time, they would give guests bus passes for their use.  The Canopy is closer in, and also quite good.

I make these recommendations because many folks like chain hotels.  There are a number of other quality places around town, including the Radisson Blu which is in a 100 year old building the center.

• Like 3

We've sailed out of Reykjavik with Silversea twice and they used Radisson Blu 1919.  It was very convenient to where Silversea docked ( "Miðbakki" port, I think).  In fact we walked between the port and the hotel, even wheeling our luggage one time. 

There is a larger cruise terminal (Skarfabakki?) farther away but I don't know which port and/or hotel Silversea is using now.  

If they're still using Radisson Blu, we also found it very convenient for tourism, dining and walking around Reykjavik.  One time we joined a very good walking tour that started one block from the Radisson Blu. 

On our most recent visit to Reykjavik, we stayed at the Canopy by Hilton.  It was more centrally located to everything and had good staff and great breakfast. 

Whatever you decide, enjoy Reykjavik and I highly recommend a visit to the Perlan museum.

• Like 2

SS charges up the Kazoo to use hotels thru them.  In Aug 2021, we stayed at the Midgur Center Hotel, easy walking distance.  The folks that stayed at the SS Hilton Nordica were not happy at all.  It is far from the sites and NOT walking distance.  The cruise docks have moved a considerable distance from the city center.  It costs us about $25 by taxi to get there.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bohaiboy said:

It is far from the sites and NOT walking distance. 

As I mentioned mentioned in post #2.  But it is super-convenient to the bus system.

Maybe those SS passengers wouldn't use a local bus - it's never been an issue for me.

• Like 1

Here's another vote for the Canopy by Hilton hotel if you are choosing a hotel on your own for pre- or post-cruise stay. It's a very convenient, central location, the rooms were nice — and we lucked into one which was exceptional — and the breakfast was outstanding. 

• Like 2

ditto on the Canopy & the exceptional breakfast, no AC in our room but it is, after all, located in Iceland!

On a previous visit we stayed at the Nordica and thought it was fine too, I forget how long the walk was but we walked to the museums and restaurants both days we had there, even carried wine from a shop near the center back to our room (not saying how much wine 🙂)

• Like 1

We considered the Nordica but decided it was too far outside the tourist area.  The Canopy seemed nice but was the most expensive Hilton, so we opted for the Konsulat which is also very well located [the back door from the hotel lounge takes you directly to the 'Bill Clinton hot dog stand.']  We were very happy with our choice.

• Like 1

Hi..We have a trip scheduled from  Reykjavik to Dublin in late August.  This is an expedition cruise on the Silver Cloud with is really a tour of small Scots' Islands. We have also signed up for their pre-cruise programs in Iceland.  For this we (they) are using the Hotel Berg.  This is Trip Advisors #2 hotel is Iceland. We were registered there for the same cruise last year when it was cancelled.  A couple of things.  We have learned, after nine cruises, not to use SS pre and post cruise programs, they cost much, much more than if you do it yourself.  But this year, frankly, I just didn't want any hassles.  Usually for the pre and post cruise programs they use the best hotel in town.  For example. in Dublin they used the Merrion, which was gorgeous, and the Conrad was their pre departure hotel which was just fine.  I must admit I know nothing about Reykjavik buy given my experience I trust SS's taste and judgment.  One example, on our Alaskan cruise, we did their post cruise program and they put us up at the Empress on Victoria Island, in a suite next to the Royal suite, which I actually assume is used by Royals.  Our suite was the size of a small house, about 1200 square feet.  If I don't use their program, I try to book, independently,  the pre-cruise hotel they are using since it really makes transfers so much easier and smoother. So in Reykjavik its the Berg.   Cheers.  

Edited by chrism23
spelling
  • Like 1

Thank you for all your replies.  We plan to book independently and now we are in the midst of deciding our itinerary.  We plan on five days, renting a car, and seeing as much as we can within reason.   We are toying with the idea of staying in Reykjavik as our home base or venturing out in two day increment, ending up near the airport.  Our original plan was to do the culinary package at The Retreat at the Blue Lagoon for the last two nights but they have discontinued that package and doubled their prices….$2000/night makes my eyes water!  

If any of you intrepid travelers can point us in any particular direction, you advice is deeply appreciated!  

Jennifer

• Like 1

Jennifer; suggest asking our TA about a private tour itinerary in Iceland (e.g., Globus has private touring) and they are a top selling Globus agency so possibly they can get u a good deal.  If not Globus they work with all the large land tour companies (Tauck (they are #1 seller of Tauck worldwide), A&K and 22 other land tour companies.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, forgap said:

Thank you for all your replies.  We plan to book independently and now we are in the midst of deciding our itinerary.  We plan on five days, renting a car, and seeing as much as we can within reason.   We are toying with the idea of staying in Reykjavik as our home base or venturing out in two day increment, ending up near the airport. 

Though the idea of using Reykjavik as a "base" has some appeal, if you are going to have your own car I highly suggest that you just make it a trip out of town to a spot, then continue further to another and so forth.   Sure, you can do the Golden Circle in a single day with a nice little loop.  But say you want to visit the Jokulsarlon lagoon.  That's a solid 5+ hours from Reykjavik, and doesn't include seeing things along the way.  Ditto if you want to head north out of town to see the many coastal villages - it's going to be a lot more restful to just head out and eventually come back.

Tips:  Get a map.  Relying on a GPS may or not be a good idea.  Fill up with gas often - stations aren't in any way frequent.  (Maps often show where the stations are - and they aren't always 24 hours).  Get a four wheel drive if possible.  Finally - the driving times on Google maps are optimistic.  You'll be on two lane roads.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, forgap said:

We plan to book independently and now we are in the midst of deciding our itinerary.  We plan on five days, renting a car, and seeing as much as we can within reason.    ...

If any of you intrepid travelers can point us in any particular direction, you advice is deeply appreciated!  

Jennifer

My friend who lives in Reykjavik and used to work in the travel industry highly recommends Iceland Travel: http://www.icelandtravel.is If none of their tours appeal to you, they, and other outfits, also have prepared drive-yourself tours with maps and descriptions.

She also says that if you rent a car, be sure to get a 4-wheel-drive car, so you are able to see the sights that are on unpaved roads, and don't get stuck (apparently a thing every tourist season).

Also, Rick Steves Iceland is a very detailed tour book, and seems to be kept most up to date that I could find.

Edited by RELS
new info
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, chrism23 said:

Hi..We have a trip scheduled from  Reykjavik to Dublin in late August.  This is an expedition cruise on the Silver Cloud with is really a tour of small Scots' Islands. We have also signed up for their pre-cruise programs in Iceland.  For this we (they) are using the Hotel Berg.  This is Trip Advisors #2 hotel is Iceland.

Do you mean Hotel Borg in Reykjavik, or Hotel Berg in Keflavík?

We have a SS Simply at the end of May, and still haven't gotten the name of the hotel yet. I hope it's actually in Reykjavik! I would NOT want to be outside the city.

The reason we went through SS for our pre-stay is that it included transportation to the hotel from the airport, which brought the two prices much nearer together.

3 hours ago, chrism23 said:

• Like 1

6 hours ago, RELS said:

The reason we went through SS for our pre-stay is that it included transportation to the hotel from the airport, which brought the two prices much nearer together.

Interesting.  Last time I was there, the FlyBus from/to KEF was a bit over $25 per person.  And that's the way probably 90+% of visitors to the island get into Reykjavik.  Surprised that the SS cost was so low vs booking yourself.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, FlyerTalker said:

Interesting.  Last time I was there, the FlyBus from/to KEF was a bit over $25 per person.  And that's the way probably 90+% of visitors to the island get into Reykjavik.  Surprised that the SS cost was so low vs booking yourself.

Sure, if you want to schlep a 22-day cruise’s worth of luggage on and off a bus and then figure out how to get to your hotel from where the FlyBus drops you off.  Private transport is a lot more expensive. Like chrism23, we just didn’t want the hassle, especially after flying from the west coast USA. 

We’re cruising on Silversea. I couldn’t see nickle- and dime-ing the pre-stay when SS would take care of all the transportation, etc. 

I might feel different if it were after the cruise, but I want the few days before to go as smoothly as possible.

Edited by RELS
  • Like 2

On 2/10/2022 at 9:40 AM, forgap said:

We plan a few days in Reykjavik post cruise and upon departure from the cruise we have a night at the “Simply Silversea” hotel in Reykjavik.  Google seem to locate this hotel so it must have another name.  Can anyone help? 

I don't know what hotel they use, but if it is the Hotel Borg, note a couple things:

1.  It may be a lot cheaper booking it individually (even if you add on individual private care transportation from the ship to the hotel, as it is not far).  But you have to book in advance -- like now.  It is a popular hotel because it is centrally located (though several other 4 star hotels are) AND it has a historic building that has been renovated,  AND big American tourist groups use it. Because it is popular, it is fully booked high season, so don't count on early check-in.  

2.  It is 4 star, not 5 star (which is one of the reasons  they gave me for not having a valet to help bring luggage upstairs when we were there last summer).  There is a tiny elevator and you might or might not be able to timely get a rolling luggage cart to do it yourself.  Our deluxe room on the top floor had no AC, and the windows only opened a few inches.  This was an issue for us as it was in the 60's outside and sunny, and humid inside,  to high 70's when we were there. There was a small fan in the closet which helped, but not enough.  We spent the nights sweating, but paying over $400 per night.  The bathroom was lovely.

The buffet breakfast was in a dark room with no windows, loud, hectic, and with surly table beverage service.  Other than the herring at the buffet, offerings were pedestrian. We couldn't wait to get out of there.

People who had base rate rooms at the back complained about loud noises from the bar nearby.

Alcohol is VERY expensive, (like double what you expect in U.S.), so it might be worth preparing by stocking up in the duty free if you can. 

3.  IF you stay at Borg, just around the corner is a wonderful restaurant not to miss -- Messin.  Make reservations. 

4.  As you will be driving around a few more days, note public bathrooms are hard to find, (as are trees and bushes) so use every opportunity unless you have a basketball-sized bladder.

And I second the four-wheel drive suggestion.  Reserve in advance. 

Here is an amusing little book about the culture, for people who stay a bit longer than just a night or two.

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Book-Tourists-Iceland-Icelanders/dp/B088FM1FVH/ref=sr_1_3?crid=23K721LOS63EG&keywords=the+little+book+of+tourists+in+iceland&qid=1644797409&s=books&sprefix=The+littel+book+of+touris%2Cstripbooks%2C114&sr=1-3

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, RELS said:

Sure, if you want to schlep a 22-day cruise’s worth of luggage on and off a bus and then figure out how to get to your hotel from where the FlyBus drops you off.  Private transport is a lot more expensive. Like chrism23, we just didn’t want the hassle, especially after flying from the west coast USA.

Guess you weren't aware that you can take the FlyBus to the bus terminal and then they move you to minibuses to your individual hotel.

7 minutes ago, Catlover54 said:

Alcohol is VERY expensive, (like double what you expect in U.S.), so it might be worth preparing by stocking up in the duty free if you can. 

You will see flight crews making a beeline to the duty-free on arrival shop at KEF.  Probably half the price of what you would pay retail in town for the same bottle.

Per drink prices are higher yet.  Put the "Appy Hour" app on your phone and use it.  It's from the Reykjavik Grapevine, a weekly free paper.  Or get a copy of the Grapevine and reference their happy hour column, which runs every week and is quite useful to get the best offers around town.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RELS said:

We’re cruising on Silversea. I couldn’t see nickle- and dime-ing the pre-stay when SS would take care of all the transportation, etc.

DW has taught me that we should do this.  Or else...  So we take a taxi or uber – so much easier!  And easier is exactly what the Dr. ordered.

Just now, chrism23 said:

Do you mean Hotel Borg in Reykjavik, or Hotel Berg in Keflavík?

Just now, chrism23 said:

Thank you Rels.  It is the Borg in Reykjavik.  Which is much the better.  I just checked.  I was getting it confused with a Blond Swedish Tennis Player.  SS does not have the "Simply Hotel' selection up on their web sit yet.  BTW, it has been totally redesigned.