QM2 Dining

Addielove

2 hours ago, Addielove said:

We just booked a cruise on November 2023.  Never sailed on the Queen Mary. Are passengers able to order multiple appetizers and entrees in the Brittanie Dining Room?

We’ve never felt the need, but have observed this at nearby tables.

We've shared tables with people who couldn't make their minds up as to what to order.  The waiter often brought them a couple of different dishes so they could have both!

On that basis the answer to your question has to be Yes!

10 hours ago, Addielove said:

We just booked a cruise on November 2023.  Never sailed on the Queen Mary. Are passengers able to order multiple appetizers and entrees in the Brittanie Dining Room?

If one feels the need, your waiter will be happy to feed it.

I usually have 2 appetizers including a soup, sometimes adding in a salad if I'm really hungry. Occasionally I have pudding and cheese. On my OH's first Cunard trip (our TA honeymoon) he ordered steak for his main but added that he'd never tried lobster, so the waiter brought him a  lobster dinner as well as the steak! He ate it all. 

11 hours ago, Addielove said:

As others have posted, I too have never felt the need, however, yes  one can order whatever they want from the menu.

This applies across the fleet not only QM2.  

• Like 1

I have always been satisfied with the traditional one portion from each course and never left the dining room hungry. We have seen on another cruise line people ordering multi meals portions from each course and just picking at each ne without finishing any and the actual food waste was astounding  totally unnecessary IMO.

• Like 1

We once went on a Princess cruise and even though Freedom dining we shared a table with the same couple not by choice along with others just as a coincidence. He had on the occasions we ate with him and he also said he did it every night he ordered his main meal and a side order of steak and never completely ate either just a bit from each. I bet he doesnt eat like that at home when he has to foot the bill for the food.

I like to follow the traditional menu of an appetizer followed by soup and while salad used to be after the entrée (that really messes with the staff), I have the salad after the soup and then the entrée. At lunch if they are offering a pasta dish it is usually too small so I have them double it up. Never an issue.

• Like 1

Depending on the menu, I have sometimes played “mix and match” perhaps soup, two appetizers, and a salad and no main;  or a main followed by two desserts (there have been times with truly tempting multiple dessert selections appear on the same menu);  but to avoid waste (and waist expansion) I always delete one item if doubling up on another.

3 hours ago, kohl1957 said:

I have never heard a Cunard steward... in any restaurant... say NO.  Although, yes, it's better that the diner says no sometimes.  If I had to criticise, it would be the portions of meat... just too big. In the Grills, at least, you can request and get, smaller portions and, of course, have a separate fish course, too, or a side salad, too.  One thing, thank goodness, they won't do is to bring multiple entrees at the same time... you can be a glutton if you wish, but they ensure you won't look like you are in the process. Alas, you can do that in King's Court, and some do... which is why I have eaten there precisely once.  "It's hot and there's a lot of it" is not a virtue of shipboard dining except out of "Billy Budd".

Not in a restaurant but on 2 occasions while sunbathing on Grill deck on 2 different cruises on QE they came around offering ice cream and on both occasions they had 2 scoops of ice cream 1 vanilla and 1 strawberry. I asked if I could have 2 scoops of vanilla because I dont like strawberries and on both times was told no so ended up with nothing.  Very surprised as money paying for QG/PG you would expect it shouldnt have been a problem.

8 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

Major Tom.

You need to come with me. 🙂

Spoilt brat that I am, I can honestly say I have never been refused anything on Cunard. Sometimes, I wish I was refused!!😄

The first time we were in QG on QE in October 2019 our first time in a suite and the second time was November 2021 when we were in  PG.

2 hours ago, Victoria2 said:

Major Tom.

You need to come with me. 🙂

Spoilt brat that I am, I can honestly say I have never been refused anything on Cunard. Sometimes, I wish I was refused!!😄

Try requesting lingon berry pancakes in Britannia. I was oh so close one morning when the maître d hustled over and quietly said the waiter was mistaken and I would not be having those pancakes. I see they are no longer on the menu in the Grills.

Since they started combining starters, salads, and soups in the same section, we pretty much always order two from that section at each dinner (typically a starter and a soup or salad). Never a problem. Also, the portions are very small, so having two is not an issue for us.

Edited by MarkBearSF

3 hours ago, MarkBearSF said:

Since they started combining starters, salads, and soups in the same section, we pretty much always order two from that section at each dinner (typically a starter and a soup or salad). Never a problem. Also, the portions are very small, so having two is not an issue for us.

Iwondered about doing that - but worried that I'd make the whole table wait as I had an "extra" course.  I guess if they stay with freedom dining for 2nd sitting I can do  more of that type of ordering 

12 hours ago, MarkBearSF said:

Portions very small??? I think they tend to be on the large side, though sometimes you don't get many veg with the main course. And again one can ask for more.

"I wish they would turn it into a posh supper club with a jazz trio, dance floor and a classic French nightclub menu make it truly like the old Verandah Grills on the old QUEENs. Right now, it's just wasted space in my opinion."

Oh, I love the idea of that, I'd never be out of the place. Especially if they played some Hot Club music. Steak frites, green salad, cheese and jazz? Perfect! 

Edited by elmsliebev

21 hours ago, kohl1957 said:

On my recent QM2 cruise, honestly the appetizers were so amazingly good, I was tempted to order three of them as my main meal.  Perhaps not the healthiest option but still...

I did manage one special order for dinner in PG... a superb curry by the Goan head chef.  I was delighted that they managed Indian or Thai curry on most days at either luncheon or dinner.  For my palette, Cunard menus are an ideal combination of traditional "British liner" and international with a fulsome choice of fish and pasta, too.  And no stinting on a proper "dining saloon luncheon" either which is my favourite.  

We had a free meal in the Verandah (to make up for no hot water for most of three days and a cracked washbasin in our cabin) but I have to say it was a bit of a damp squib... almost deserted and all the ambiance of the waiting room in a lawyer's office.  They try... too hard... to make it special but honestly, "choosing" one's steak knife is well... stuff and nonsense.  I wish they would turn it into a posh supper club with a jazz trio, dance floor and a classic French nightclub menu make it truly like the old Verandah Grills on the old QUEENs. Right now, it's just wasted space in my opinion.  

Cunard is very generous with double portions, extra portions, extra dessert, etc. However, we paid for dinner in the Verandah on the latest Holiday cruise and will never go back again! We asked for two starters, shrimp cocktail and soup and were told that the soup would be an additional $7.50 per person! This is really nickel and diming since we were already spending $90 for the two of us. In the past you were able to have two starters. The quality of the food in the Verandah has really gone down.  The service was good, the place was empty, once three tables with guests. Cunard  has to rethink the offerings in the Verandah

4 hours ago, exlondoner said:

Portions very small??? I think they tend to be on the large side, though sometimes you don't get many veg with the main course. And again one can ask for more.

On my last cruise with Cunard, we solved the lack of veggies by having the wait staff bring a large bowl of the veg of the day for the entire table. Worked quite well.

On 2/12/2022 at 7:54 PM, Addielove said:

The simple answer to your question, without all the diatribe of what others do or don’t do, is yes.  

Edited by eroller
  • Like 1