PRINCESS PRE CRUISE HOTELS... COPENHAGEN

bobontheblue

Having never booked a pre cruise hotel through Princess before for any of the sailings we have been on. Never have visited  Copenhagen prior to this upcoming sailing. We were just wondering if the hotel,s chosen by Princess are situated relativly well for city exploring, and in general good value for the dollars spent. Any feedback and suggestions are greatly appreciated. I believe we are currently booked at The Tivoli.   

Edited by bobontheblue
spelling

1 hour ago, bobontheblue said:

Having never booked a pre cruise hotel through Princess before for any of the sailings we have been on. Never have visited  Copenhagen prior to this upcoming sailing. We were just wondering if the hotels chosen by Princess are situated relatively well for city exploring, and in general good value for the dollars spent. Any feedback and suggestions are greatly appreciated. I believe we are currently booked at The Tivoli.   

Princess hotels are never good value.  Book your own and save money.  We stayed near Tivoli Gardens and it worked well.

We were on a Regal Baltic Cruise in August 2019 and for the first time booked our hotel through Princess.  They put us in the Scandic which was across the street from the observatory.  It was a great location and we were able to walk to Tivoli, the museum, the train station, and a number of interesting restaurants. We stayed there for 3 nights after our cruise. The hotel was very clean and comfortable and we were completely satisfied.  This was the first cruise where we booked with EZAir and we had a great flight on SAS.  The transfers to and from the airport and port were all very smooth and efficient.  All in all it was an excellent experience and we will definitely consider having Princess book our hotels for the Mediterranean cruise that we have booked.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

Princess hotels are never good value.  Book your own and save money.  We stayed near Tivoli Gardens and it worked well.

As Steelers36 says, the Princess rate is higher than if you make the booking independently.

Note that the Princess rate is per person, not per room.

However the Princess rate will include transportation from airport to hotel and from hotel to ship.

The only times we book a pre-cruise hotel with Princess is if the port is in a city we are not familiar with and very few people in the city speak English. As an example, a cruise starting in Shanghai.

5 hours ago, caribill said:

As Steelers36 says, the Princess rate is higher than if you make the booking independently.

Note that the Princess rate is per person, not per room.

However the Princess rate will include transportation from airport to hotel and from hotel to ship.

The only times we book a pre-cruise hotel with Princess is if the port is in a city we are not familiar with and very few people in the city speak English. As an example, a cruise starting in Shanghai.

Generally agree 

however in Buenos Aires Princess hotel with airport transfer (Hilton) was much less then booking independently always compare. 

It comes down to the individual.  I stayed in Buenos Aires (70+) by myself, 3 nights pre-cruise, not Princess, NH hotel, awesome.  I did a walking tour, city tour, a dinner tango show.  Buenos Aires was an easy city to tour.

I look at Copenhagen same way, would not do thru Princess.  I'll be there (Aug.), airport is close, I'll use a taxi, staying at The Square.  When I'm managing my big bag, I do taxis.  I'm not adverse to buses/trains but at 74 not as agile as I once was, taxi is easier.

Edited by susancruzs

@bobontheblue       Hi bobontheblue,     

Besides this thread - how about using the Port of Call Board.

You can post your question(s) there also. 

Look under Europe then Northern Europe & Baltic Sea which has pages after page of comments, questions, ideas etc.  Plus, info on:  Independent tours, rental car, shuttle service, hotels, etc.   Check it out.  John

We stayed at the Admiral also good for Nyhavn. I contacted the hotel directly and asked about discounts, they gave us a good rate. Apparently, they keep a few rooms at discounted rate. Great hotel. WE also took their breakfast. Initially it seemed expensive but compared well with Cafes.

1 hour ago, skynight said:

We stayed in the Radission Blu near Tivoli. Booked it ourself. Wherever you stay prepare for high dining prices at the hotel or in local restaurants.

So did we but it’s been “upgraded”. Too bad. It’s now Radisson Collection Royal Hotel. Prices went up.

18 hours ago, dog said:

Generally agree 

however in Buenos Aires Princess hotel with airport transfer (Hilton) was much less then booking independently always compare. 

Great advice no matter what you are booking: Hotels, car rentals, flights, cruises, etc.

I have never booked the hotels with Princess before, but I did for our Copenhagen cruise in Sept. I was looking at the Tivoli anyway due to location and the price was slightly cheaper with Princess factoring transportation from airport to hotel and hotel to cruise port and breakfast. Booking includes breakfast, what I'm not sure of is the bed size - twin, double, queen, king, etc. May call and request closer to the date. We are staying for 3 nights, so that maybe the sweet spot to make it worthwhile, too. But I do know I have never, ever contemplated before because the cost has always been way more with Princess.

We opted to book our own pre and post cruise hotels in CPH in order to ensure we were within walking and biking distance of sightseeing. We stayed at the 71 Nyhavn pre, in order to be in Nyhavn. Post, we stayed at the Scandinavian Palace for easy access to Tivoli. I recommend renting bikes to go further afield in the city. 

• Like 1

On 2/15/2022 at 12:37 PM, Tedferg said:

We stayed at the Admiral also good for Nyhavn. I contacted the hotel directly and asked about discounts, they gave us a good rate. Apparently, they keep a few rooms at discounted rate. Great hotel. WE also took their breakfast. Initially it seemed expensive but compared well with Cafes.

I stayed here several years ago and it remains one of my favorite hotels of all times! It is a cool hotel.

We have EZair to London two days prior to cruise.  I was told 2 days ago by Princess on chat I could book the Radisson Blu Grafton for a total of $916 including transfers from Heathrow to the Hotel, then they would pick us on cruise day and transfer from Hotel to Southhampton Port.  Booking direct with hotel is $215 night right now.   We decide to go thru Princess to make it easiest.  I chat today and am told the price is $636 per night and that Princess doesn't have transportation from hotel to port?  I'm not sure the guy on chat knew what he was talking about today.  Anyone have thoughts?

1 hour ago, Mikel1733 said:

We have EZair to London two days prior to cruise.  I was told 2 days ago by Princess on chat I could book the Radisson Blu Grafton for a total of $916 including transfers from Heathrow to the Hotel, then they would pick us on cruise day and transfer from Hotel to Southhampton Port.  Booking direct with hotel is $215 night right now.   We decide to go thru Princess to make it easiest.  I chat today and am told the price is $636 per night and that Princess doesn't have transportation from hotel to port?  I'm not sure the guy on chat knew what he was talking about today.  Anyone have thoughts?

I have booked a Marriott hotel in London a few years ago for 3 nights through Princess. They did pick me up at the airport (Heathrow) with a car service. I was the only passenger. On the day of the cruise, they had 2 busses leaving from my hotel at 2 different times - I want to say 12 and 12:30 to go to the pier. When I checked in, they gave me an envelope with this information. There was also someone at the hotel during certain hours if I wanted to ask them any questions. She also dealt with lost luggage, etc... They took our luggage ahead of time that morning of the cruise in a different vehicle and the luggage was on the ship by the time we got to Southampton. It worked fine.

I've been to Copenhagen many times. The hotels by Tivoli can be a bit run-down and sketchy, since they're by the train station and far from the nicer sites, and tend to get big tour groups staying there. My favorite hotel in the city is the Best Western Plus, evidently also called The Huxley now, which is a block from the main canal, which is the best place to stroll, it's a few blocks from Nyhavn, the most beautiful spot in the city and where you can catch a canal cruise, it has a nice free breakfast, and they have free bike rental. The design in the rooms and lobby and furniture is stylish modern Danish, with photos of jazz musicians and other nice touches. TripAdvisor has some nice photos of it and good reviews...evidently it's had some even better improvements since I was last there.