I Don't Want to Miss My Cruise!

PC 462

That's why I'd rather fly in a day or two before embarkation.  My wife definitely prefers flying in the day of.  We've done that five times with never a problem.  I know the odds of missing the ship are small, but what a disaster if you do!  Are there any sad stories or other insights that might make her see it my way?

With so many flights being delayed or outright cancelled, to fly in on the day of departure can be risky.  Also, unless you're using the cruise line's air, if you don't arrive in time, you're on your own to get to the first port to board the ship.  I'd rather be safe than sorry, and arrive at the departure port at least a day ahead of sailing.  But, that's just me.

• Like 3

Nope, I can’t deal with that stress and this is one case that I make demands.  My husband, like your wife, thinks it is a waste of time. In recent years with more time available I usually fly in early enough to do an excursion or planned activity during the “wasted day”. He is a fan of that approach 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, PC 462 said:

That's why I'd rather fly in a day or two before embarkation.  My wife definitely prefers flying in the day of.  We've done that five times with never a problem.  I know the odds of missing the ship are small, but what a disaster if you do!  Are there any sad stories or other insights that might make her see it my way?

Better safe than sorry. We live in Florida, almost 29 years now so we drive to the port on the day of the cruise but when we lived in Chicago we always came down a day early. Sometimes we flew and other times we drove. 

• Like 3

We always fly to the embarkation port a day before the sailing date, sometimes two or more days. On a Silversea cruise starting in Barbados a few years ago, we flew in three days early, primarily because we had never been to Barbados before and it's a long way from Arizona. I'm glad we did. Our biggest piece of luggage didn't arrive until just before dinner on the third and final night we were in Barbados. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, highscar said:

Stayed in hotel in San Diego several times. This time two cruises from ft lauderdale.  Any hotel recommendations. ?? 

we usually stay at the Ramada By Wyndham Fort Lauderdale Airport/Cruise port 

it's clean, good priced, has a bar and restaurant and free shuttle from the airport.  You can buy the shuttle over to Port Everglades once you check in.  They fill up fast for pre-cruise.  Good luck!

• Like 1

Have you considered flying in a day or two early, while she flies in the day of? 
The day will come when she either cuts it way too close for her comfort, or misses the ship. While you are calm and cruising. 😁

• Like 6
  • Haha 11

2 hours ago, highscar said:

Stayed in hotel in San Diego several times. This time two cruises from ft lauderdale.  Any hotel recommendations. ?? 

The best place to check hotel recommendations in Ft. Lauderdale is the North America Home Ports forum - Florida Departures.  This thread topic is about missed cruises!

Florida Departures - Cruise Critic Community

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, PC 462 said:

Are there any sad stories or other insights that might make her see it my way?

As someone who has checked-in cruise passengers, I have seen the stress, bickering and outright nastiness between couples resulting from arriving late at the cruise terminal.  The late arrival is usually due to a delayed flight due to weather, usually thunderstorms. Or, it might be from lack of sleep from having to wake up at 3 AM to catch an early morning flight to Seattle for an Alaskan cruise.  Stressed and sleep deprived passengers are not fun to be around.  The extra cost for a hotel room to arrive the day before is well worth it - for all of us!    ;  )

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, PC 462 said:

LOL!  You're probably right.  Sounds like you know someone like her.

No, not really, but I know there are people who won't change their mind about things until it affects them.  

Personally, in our 25 cruises, we've only had to fly for 8 of them.  About half of those we flew/arrived the day of embarkation, and the others we flew in the day before.  

A lot depends on what flights are available to you and what time of year you're flying.  Non-stops works best.  With at least one or 2 options available after that flight that will still get you there on time.  If it's wintertime where you're flying from, flying the day before is best.

• Like 1

It is a risk we prefer not to take.  We usually go 1-2 (sometimes 3) days early and tour the area we are sailing from.  Even driving across the passes to Seattle (about 5 hours for us) we go the day before.  One time we did and started having car trouble when we pulled into  the hotel parking lot (what timing!)  Fortunately there was a car dealership adjacent to where we stayed, for our car, we authorized a friend to be contact for repairs to be done and it was done and they held the car for us until we returned from the cruise.  Only thing we lost was the prepaid parking..................but we didn't miss the cruise and we were able to get things taken care of without stressing over missing the cruise!

• Like 4

Did it once on a flight from Phoenix for our cruise in San Diego, but never again.  Even though PHX/SAN is like a shuttle service, you just never know any more.  You can't count on "catching the next flight" because it might be full. For our June 2022 Oceania Mediterranean cruise, we are arriving in Rome 2 full days in advance.

• Like 3

Had a 7:30 am flight from Ft.Lauderdale to LaGuardia several years ago for a Maasdam cruise to Bermuda on a Saturday.  Pulled away from the gate on time, only to return to the gate with a mechanical issue. Fortunately, Jet Blue had another plane available 2 hours later so we made it to the port in New York around 1:30pm. Very nerve-racking experience!  Will never fly in the day of departure again!!

• Like 2

I live in the Seattle area and will occasionally cruise out of Vancouver, BC.  Even though Vancouver is just a tad over 3 hour train ride away (arriving before 1 PM daily),   I will not chance it on a 4 PM sailing - we always travel up there the day before.  It's just not worth the stress.

• Like 2

If you have ever seen anyone running to the cruise port as the ship pulls away, you will agree it is a sad sight even being on board. Even a few inches from the dock, they do not stop and let you on. Similarly, if you have ever missed a flight or had it delayed or cancelled due to weather or mechanical issues, it is a sickening feeling not being able to fly. Now with news of flights being turned around due to unruly passengers, I don't know which scenario is worse. We get anxious enough just jonesing to get on board. We usually escape our freezing temperatures at home to go to a warmer city of departure to acclimate, adjust and simply relax for a few days. Pre and post vacations can sometimes be as wonderful as the cruise itself. Then, by the time we do board, we are already so relaxed and casual we can just slip right into that groove. Good luck with your decision. Just write down your pros and cons or flip a coin. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, tuolumne couple said:

If you have ever seen anyone running to the cruise port as the ship pulls away, you will agree it is a sad sight even being on board. Even a few inches from the dock, they do not stop and let you on. Similarly, if you have ever missed a flight or had it delayed or cancelled due to weather or mechanical issues, it is a sickening feeling not being able to fly. Now with news of flights being turned around due to unruly passengers, I don't know which scenario is worse. We get anxious enough just jonesing to get on board. We usually escape our freezing temperatures at home to go to a warmer city of departure to acclimate, adjust and simply relax for a few days. Pre and post vacations can sometimes be as wonderful as the cruise itself. Then, by the time we do board, we are already so relaxed and casual we can just slip right into that groove. Good luck with your decision. Just write down your pros and cons or flip a coin. 

You could be us. We always fly to FLL out of  PHL several days early. We don’t get a whole lot of snow in the Philly area but it can happen. The ship waits on no man. 

• Like 1

To add to @tuolumne couple's observations, once the gangway is pulled, no one gets on the ship. The timing of this could be up to 30 minutes before sail time (think 3:30 for a 4pm sailing).   The ship, longshore and the shoreside staff are all in radio communications.  Once the bridge crew decides that they are ready for the gangway to be pulled, they double check with the shoreside staff to make sure there are no passengers still being checked-in.  Then, the doors to the terminal building are secured, and then the gangway is pulled. 

As a late arriving passenger, you could be pulling into the terminal, relieved to see the ship still there, but racing to the entrance you will find it locked, and there is nothing that can be done.  It does happen, but fortunately not that often.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, jimmy2x said:

You could be us. We always fly to FLL out of  PHL several days early. We don’t get a whole lot of snow in the Philly area but it can happen. The ship waits on no man. 

One cruise there was a ton of people who missed the ship due to a storm in the Chicago area.  Captain told us it was 250+.  Most of them weren’t coming from Chicago but their planes were.  One couple caught up to us a few ports later.  Saw them pulling their luggage on themselves and had a chat with them later.  

We caught the first and only flight out from Buffalo.  After we left, everything else was cancelled.  When we got to our hotel, the valet asked if we had missed our ship.  Told him no but asked if that happened often.  He said it happened A LOT.

Anyway, just wanted to mention that a storm doesn’t have to be in your location in order for you to miss a flight.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1