What is going on with Scenic Cruises

mvjcruise

On 4/15/2022 at 5:45 AM, sparrowhood said:

Is Scenic providing any assistance for COVID testing to get back into the US?

Our Scenic cruise did a free PCR test for all on the last full day of the cruise.

2 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Good news!  My TA was able to contact Scenic and get the e-docs for my April 25 Seine cruise.  Everything is there, including instructions for the included transfer.

Yay!  Although having to seek out the final documents 10 days before sailing seems like something one should not have to do.

Did you ever send an email to the ship?  And, if so, did you receive a response?

Thanks for the update!

1 hour ago, loriva said:

Did you ever send an email to the ship?  And, if so, did you receive a response?

No – that's what TAs are for!  

Also the initial Scenic Gem email in my sticky seems to have been incorrect [it was the one that didn't match the format of all the others].  My documents gave me the correct email [which does match the usual format] and phone numbers.  So as an aside the Sticky should now be correct for all Scenic ships in Europe.

• Thanks 1

Yup sorry about that Jazz I realised it wasn’t in line. I suspect because of it being Scenic Gems first cruise and how long ago it was. I thought that Gem was such a cute vessel until we were on Scenic Azure, smaller again but thinking about it Gem is the best. Our guide was absolutely wonderful don’t get fooled by looks. We had one who was very anti  Brits, no problem but his at one stage on the coach I just said ‘remember Agincourt’  worked like a dream. The cider is superb the people are as well enjoy!

oops by the way the morning of Giverney is an early start but it’s worth it no one else there, camera at the ready!

Edited by Canal archive

Happy Easter from Scenic Opal! We are now one week into the cruise and currently in Bernkastel. Sunshine has followed us every single day and that has made the spring trip even better. Our cruise director Alex is fun and very good at keeping everything running smoothly, the crew is amazing and we continue to have the best culinary experience possible. Each day has been fabulous. We did a guided tour of Bernkastel this morning and after lunch will take the e-bikes for a spin through the wineries on the hillsides. Sitting on our sunny deck hearing the church bells and feeling the breeze…waiting for yet another amazing meal to be served…this is my idea of heaven on earth!

• Like 6

5 hours ago, Canal archive said:

Yup sorry about that Jazz I realised it wasn’t in line.

Thanks for all your help putting that sticky together.  This new information in my Scenic docs not only corrects that one anomaly but also proves the pattern of all the others, so I feel very confident in the entire document.  I hope it will be helpful to others as Scenic's website continues its very slow stay in 'Rehab'...

Heads up.

Scenic Jade has experienced engine problems. We were unable to leave Arnhem today. In the morning we will disembark, head to Hoorn, by bus, for our excursions, then to Amsterdam for the final two nights of our cruise in a hotel.

14 hours ago, mvjcruise said:

Heads up.

Scenic Jade has experienced engine problems. We were unable to leave Arnhem today. In the morning we will disembark, head to Hoorn, by bus, for our excursions, then to Amsterdam for the final two nights of our cruise in a hotel.

Oh, no!  I was wondering if something like this had happened when I saw the Scenic Jade heading to Duisburg, where it had been ported over winter.  I hope the bus trip is as nice as possible, excursions great, and Scenic selects an excellent hotel for you.  Presumably they'll also pick up your costs for meals in Amsterdam as those should have been included on the Jade.  Best of luck to you!

7 minutes ago, loriva said:

I was wondering if something like this had happened when I saw the Scenic Jade heading to Duisburg, where it had been ported over winter. 

That certainly was an ominous sign. Sounds like proper inspection and repair if necessary will be done in a shipyard there. That could be a problem for the next sailing.

@mvjcruise Sorry to read that. I hope your stay in Amsterdam is a very happy one. Glad you were able to nearly complete the cruise and that it did not happen during the first sailing day.

The sun is shining in the valley here, hope Amsterdam is sunny, too.

notamermaid

Here is Scenic’s plan, as explained to us at breakfast. The Jade is headed to dry dock in Nuremberg for at least two weeks. Two engines are not functioning. They docked yesterday on thrusters, and hit the dock slightly at docking.

The Pearl will take on next week’s passengers as she has no cruises scheduled until, I believe, May 8.

We have ended up at The Hague, as no hotels could be found in Amsterdam. We still head to Kukenpoff tomorrow. It has been a rather long day with many twists and changes. 

We have been told the corporate will reach out to us about compensation within one to two weeks. 

Edited by mvjcruise
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mvjcruise said:

The Jade is headed to dry dock in Nuremberg for at least two weeks. Two engines are not functioning.

Oh, that is worse than I expected. So Duisburg was only temporary. Interesting that she is allowed to sail onto Nuremberg. Or she will be toed. Glad to read that the Pearl can take over. So nice that you will still be able to see Keukenhof. And I hope that compensation/refund thing works out.

notamermaid

19 hours ago, mvjcruise said:

The Jade is headed to dry dock in Nuremberg for at least two weeks. Two engines are not functioning.

According to CruiseMapper, Scenic Jade has made it to Duisburg.  It is stopped there.  Wonder if the repair team will assess it there and then determine if they can make the fixes themselves or need to go to dry dock in Nuremberg.  Hoping for those sailing on the Jade soon that Scenic can get the ship back in service soon.

Just noticed Scenic Pearl is pulling out of Duisburg, presumably heading to Amsterdam to pick up passengers who should have been on the Jade.  Good luck to all those on that sailing!

The Scenic Jade is still sitting in Duisburg.  Not sure if that means they decided repairs could be made there, they are waiting for space to open up at the dry dock in Nuremberg, waiting for parts to be available in Nuremberg, or other.  Since we should be boarding it in a little over 60 days, I'll be keeping an eye on it.

Interesting that. I have not read anything on the Binnenschifferforum. But then, they do not pick up news of that sort of repairs much it seems. If the ship cannot sail to Nuremberg it will be toed fastened alongside a barge most likely on the Rhine. That would need to be organized.

I may be able to spot her on the river then but cannot guarantee, timing may not work.

notamermaid

• Like 1

I tried to get ahold of scenic directly to ask this question,  but couldn’t get through, which isn’t surprising given the IT issues they’ve had. We are going on the Diamond on May 5. What type of electrical outlets does the ship have?  I have adaptors for France….will those work?  Thanks so much

I know there is a specific Aussie socket well the paperwork says there is. Most of the sockets are European so not British. We need adapters, reception has them if your stuck. We take European adaptors and British plugs with usb connectors. A bit like when we’re in the USA it’s adapters all the way.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/16/2022 at 11:33 AM, mapsd said:

Our Scenic cruise did a free PCR test for all on the last full day of the cruise.

That’s surprising. For one, PCR tests are not quick.  Also a rapid Antigen test is all that is required.  The PCR tests can show positivity weeks after recovering from Covid, sometimes even longer.