Shorts in MDR

hoss23

Hi:  It’s been over 10 years since our last Princess cruise and I have a question. Are shorts for men an accepted attire in the MDR on casual nights? If they are do many men wear them, or are shorts few and far between. Recently we have cruised on Carnival and it seems close to 50% wear shorts on casual nights. Thanks for you input.

It has been our experience that shorts are only allowed in MDR on day of embarkation. After that long pants are required. Depending on cruise they might be allowed on day before departure as well. To save yourself some embarrassment you might ask guest services.

9 minutes ago, hoss23 said:

Hi:  It’s been over 10 years since our last Princess cruise and I have a question. Are shorts for men an accepted attire in the MDR on casual nights? If they are do many men wear them, or are shorts few and far between. Recently we have cruised on Carnival and it seems close to 50% wear shorts on casual nights. Thanks for you input.

I will say my husband wore khaki shorts a nicer shirt (not a tshirt) to the MDR on a few nights of our Carribean cruise in November, on embarkation day and last night, as well as dark jeans and  collared shirt other nights. We skipped the MDR on formal nights.  I generally  dont pay too much attention to how others dress but did  notice other men in shorts. It is the minority though, definitely.  You will find its accepted by some people and considered unacceptable by others. 

Edited by Buckeye10640

Official policy is no shorts for evening meal. Almost certainly will be turned away on formal evenings. Probably will be allowed to enter on smart casual nights, but you will be one of the very few. Shorts allowed on boarding day as well as the last evening.

• Like 1

Except for the first and last nights, officially no.

But saying that it's been our experience that some ships overlook it & allow people to wear them. 

You'll have to check it out after your visit to the DR and see what they allow. 

• Like 1

@hoss23

What may have been acceptable on a Carnval cruise, may not be considered

acceptable on a Princess Cruise.

In the past, suggested dress was posted in the Princess Patter,the daily newsletter. This may have changed.

A suggestion would be to pack a pair of Dockers or similar slacks.

• Like 1

I also think the location of the cruise may have a bearing.  European cruises, with a high percentage of European guests, will have a higher standard of dress code than in the US.  

Our cruise,  later this month to the Canaries, specifies no shorts in any public area, let alone the MDR, after 18:00.

• Like 2

Princess makes their policy very clear - no shorts in the dining room at dinner. While people have been allowed to wear them, no one can predict whether someone will be able to get into the MDR in shorts on any given ship on any given night. It’s wiser to assume that the policy will be followed when packing rather than assume you can get away with not following the stated dress code

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Have been on the Majestic Princess 3 times since the restart and saw men wearing shorts in the MDR for dinner on all 3 cruises. 

DOES NOT BOTHER ME.

Although I must say that the old guy I saw last week on the Majestic at the Concerto Dining Room really takes the cake, he was wearing what looked like Depends, a PJ top and suspenders holding everything together!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

" Although I must say that the old guy I saw last week on the Majestic at the Concerto Dining Room really takes the cake, he was wearing what looked like Depends, a PJ top and suspenders holding everything together!"

Clint Eastwood Smelled Something - Stinky GIF - Stinky Clint Eastwood  Coffee - Discover & Share GIFs

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

56 minutes ago, ISwing said:

Although I must say that the old guy I saw last week on the Majestic at the Concerto Dining Room really takes the cake, he was wearing what looked like Depends, a PJ top and suspenders holding everything together!

This is one of those situations where you *really* should have snapped a pic! 😄

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

This is one of those situations where you *really* should have snapped a pic! 😄

I know, I know ...... I was tempted but decided against out of "respect" for the old timer.

14 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

My husband brought his shorts to all of our Alaskan cruises & never regretted it. 

Your hubby & me could be twins, then! Shorts & T-shirt for me, it can NEVER be cold enough for me. And likewise I HAVE done Alaska cruises in shorts & T-shirts.

Having worked in HVAC, it is not unheard of me to open up the cabin's ventilation register and crack up open to the max the damper to let MORE cold air out!

Edited by ISwing
  • Haha 1

We were on the Carbbean Princess on cruises in November and December, never saw anyone wearing shorts in the MDR. On the December cruise I was waiting for my wife to enter the Island Dining Room and saw 2 gentlemen turned away because they were wearing shorts.

Entering the MDR is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're going to get.

Edited by MISTER 67
  • Like 5

On the Enchanted for 30 days. Saw shorts every night in dining room. Even saw a man in bathing suit. Doesn’t bother me in the least. It is their vacation too. Formal night was VERY informal. Maybe 3% in tuxedos and gowns. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ISwing said:

Have been on the Majestic Princess 3 times since the restart and saw men wearing shorts in the MDR for dinner on all 3 cruises. 

DOES NOT BOTHER ME.

My favorite was the old man in Vines last month wearing a t-shirt covered in a 4 letter word. Very debonair 🤪

37 minutes ago, Torfamm said:

My favorite was the old man in Vines last month wearing a t-shirt covered in a 4 letter word. Very debonair 🤪

LOVE? lol ..... old men rule taken to the extreme, no? lol 

Although admittedly, there is that famous fashion brand as well, FCUK, so are you sure you did not "misread"  what his T-shirt read? lol...lmao...rofl.

Edited by ISwing

I’ll start by saying I could care less what others are wearing. 

There are plenty of men wearing shorts into all dining venues onboard The Regal. There were many in the Crown On night 2. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Host CJSKIDS said:

I’ll start by saying I could care less what others are wearing. 

There are plenty of men wearing shorts into all dining venues onboard The Regal. There were many in the Crown On night 2. 

On my two cruises on the Regal the last two weeks I asked one of the hosts at the door as I had seen a small handful of men (hmmm why just men?) in shorts.  I was told it is allowed 1st and last night and also port days.  I think the Caribbean cruises might be a little lax but frankly the men in shorts were few and far between.

Just finished 30 amazing days on the Emerald Princess where shorts, and not necessarily those that would fall into the category of nice ones, were frequently worn by both male and female passengers of all ages in the main dining rooms for dinner.   I personally did not feel that shorts, for either male or female, were appropriate attire in the dining rooms with linen tablecloths, napkins, waiter service, and multiple courses aka "fine dining", just as I did not feel that hats worn at the table were appropriate either. 

Princess has a dress code that they publish for the dining rooms for the evening/dinner hours and plainly stated it needs to be enforced.   If they do not wish to enforce their own dress code in all of their dining rooms, then make one dining room where the dress code would be strictly enforced, and the other dining rooms let the shorts and tank tops run rampant.

It might not hurt for people to remember that what you wear is how you present yourself to the world, especially today, when human contacts are so quick and if you dress like a slob, you will probably be treated like a slob...and yes, wearing shorts to a fine dining restaurant is dressing like a slob.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1