Shorts in MDR

hoss23

8 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

I don't mind if anyone is wearing nice shorts to MDR.  I prefer long pants as the AC can be quite cool in evenings there.  

On the cruise to Alaska last year they did turn away a couple in shorts as they should.  There are venues all over the ship to eat dinner if you don’t want to at least put on pants. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, PrincessLuver said:

People really spend money to sit around and watch what others wear....maybe Princess can get together a volunteer MDR posse of these good soles and really make sure passengers are towing the line if people seem too loose with the suggested dress code.....

I see what your trying to do there 🤨

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, mtnesterz said:

Disembarked the Grand yesterday, a Hawaii cruise.

Nobody, man or woman, that I noticed, wore shorts in the MDR, on any night, Smart Casual or Formal.

On the first Formal night, a man ahead of us in line was turned away from the MDR for wearing shorts, ball cap and sandals. Small percentage in Black Tie. I was one. Most in sport coat, open collar, but a fair number of suit&ties. Also a good number of what is really Smart Casual.

Wear long pants. Consider a tie on formal night. If you're flying, it takes little luggage space.

It's not a matter of space at all. 

My husband says it's simply having something around your neck choking you and he wore one for years while working & nothing will make him wear another one.

11 hours ago, ISwing said:

Can we please get back to discussing NOROVIRUS?

Please!

images.png

This thread isn't about Noro.

Didn't you notice that?

10 hours ago, atobols said:

I told my husband and teenage sons they had to wear pants for dinner.  They crabbed and complained about being forced to wear pants when others weren't doing it.  I really paid attention while in the main dining room on our New Year's cruise out of LA so that we could make an official call on if pants were required.  There were lots of men and women wearing shorts and T-shirts, even on formal night.  I gave up the fight after seeing that, they are now free to wear shorts on casual nights.  It makes packing for a family of 4 so much easier.

We need percentages.😄

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, MissP22 said:

It's not a matter of space at all. 

My husband ...

Which is why I used the word, "consider." 

Some guys might get onboard and wish they'd taken it up a notch. A tie provides easy options for a man. One of your recent posts advised that a woman can turn smart casual to formal by adding a dressy shawl, which doesn't take up much space either. A space efficient fashion accessory.

41 minutes ago, mtnesterz said:

Some guys might get onboard and wish they'd taken it up a notch. A tie provides easy options for a man. One of your recent posts advised that a woman can turn smart casual to formal by adding a dressy shawl, which doesn't take up much space either. A space efficient fashion accessory.

I have not brought a tie in years. Slacks and button down long sleeve shirt maybe sports coat for formal nights. Jeans and Hawaiian shirt for casual

1 hour ago, Potstech said:

And some guys might get onboard and decide they were OK with not bringing a tie just to please other people. 

That would be ME - First 3 cruises ever  ALL CARIBBEAN sailings (Not Princess) brought/wore tie while 70% or more didn't - Comfort over stylish is how I pack now.  Also stopped with the sport coat/jacket since even when brought it ended up on the back of the chair due to being too warm. Pack something to wear for less than 2hrs the entire week and takes up space in luggage - No thanks. 

• Thanks 1

Hi, I’m the OP. WOW!  I never expected such a great response that everyone has given. It was fascinating to read all the various thoughts on something like this.  So, after much deliberation and serious thought I have finally made my decision as to what to do as our cruise leaves this Sunday. Hoss, (Mike) will NOT  be wearing shorts on casual nights. But I’ll probably be wearing them everywhere else on the ship. Thanks for all the insight and laughs. Lord knows we need some diversion after everything we have been going through.

• Like 6

49 minutes ago, hoss23 said:

Hi, I’m the OP. WOW!  I never expected such a great response that everyone has given. It was fascinating to read all the various thoughts on something like this.  So, after much deliberation and serious thought I have finally made my decision as to what to do as our cruise leaves this Sunday. Hoss, (Mike) will NOT  be wearing shorts on casual nights. But I’ll probably be wearing them everywhere else on the ship. Thanks for all the insight and laughs. Lord knows we need some diversion after everything we have been going through.

wonderful !

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mtnesterz said:

While I might consider taking it up a notch occasionally, my husband is always looking to take it down 2 notches. 😄

He considers anything above a T shirt & jeans to be dressy on a casual evening, such as wearing a Polo shirt.

If he sees anyone in shorts then he'll follow suite.

Most times he saves his clean Polo's for formal evenings. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

While I might consider taking it up a notch occasionally, my husband is always looking to take it down 2 notches. 😄

He considers anything above a T shirt & jeans to be dressy on a casual evening, such as wearing a Polo shirt.

If he sees anyone in shorts then he'll follow suite.

Most times he saves his clean Polo's for formal evenings. 

Ha!  We're married to the same man!

17 hours ago, pilot said:

As stated above “shorts are not welcome in the dining rooms”. 

There are other dining options. 
My question is…why do some insist on trying to get in the dining room in shorts?

And why did some people refuse to wear masks on the recent cruise we were on.....just human nature to do what suits some.....as old as time.....

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Shelly97060 said:

Here is the link to Princess FAQ regarding dress code for dining. https://www.princess.com/learn/faq/pre-cruise/what-to-pack-for-a-cruise/

And here is the applicable excerpt 

1CDE7368-D079-426B-A239-6D859E5ADFAF.thumb.jpeg.6fcae63e87921738d9a8650c9557f4e0.jpeg

My basic objection with all the stuff on this thread relates to what Princess clearly states on their FAQ.  Now I realize that for some cruisers, a nice restaurant at home is defined as Denny's or Applebee's so they may think that they are dressed for a nice restaurant when they are wearing shorts and a backward baseball cap.  However the FAQ is very clear on proper dining room dress.  If they are not going to enforce it, take it out completely or substitute verbiage which basically states "wear whatever you want - we don't care".  There is no reason to have any rule if you are not going to ensure that people follow it.

DON

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, donaldsc said:

My basic objection with all the stuff on this thread relates to what Princess clearly states on their FAQ.  Now I realize that for some cruisers, a nice restaurant at home is defined as Denny's or Applebee's so they may think that they are dressed for a nice restaurant when they are wearing shorts and a backward baseball cap.  However the FAQ is very clear on proper dining room dress.  If they are not going to enforce it, take it out completely or substitute verbiage which basically states "wear whatever you want - we don't care".  There is no reason to have any rule if you are not going to ensure that people follow it.

DON

the "rule" is there for when Princess WANTS / NEEDS to enforce it - and you agree to it ...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, voljeep said:

the "rule" is there for when Princess WANTS / NEEDS to enforce it - and you agree to it ...

Interesting thought.  I know that the Cruise Contract that we all agree to when we book is a legally binding document and defines our rights which are minimal at best and what we can and can not do on the cruise.  Is the statement in the FAQ legally binding or just a suggestion?

DON

Last time we cruised on Caribbean Princess, July 2019, to the Caribbean , my husband was asked to change into long trousers from smart designer shorts and polo shirt on a ‘Smart Casual ‘ evening. Whilst I waited for him to return, I saw someone allowed to enter wearing tatty , paint splattered joggers.

Because they were ankle length the man was allowed to enter.

1 hour ago, Reina del Mar said:

Last time we cruised on Caribbean Princess, July 2019, to the Caribbean , my husband was asked to change into long trousers from smart designer shorts and polo shirt on a ‘Smart Casual ‘ evening. Whilst I waited for him to return, I saw someone allowed to enter wearing tatty , paint splattered joggers.

Because they were ankle length the man was allowed to enter.

Well they didn't have any holes or rips in them so he was good to go. 😆

2 hours ago, donaldsc said:

Interesting thought.  I know that the Cruise Contract that we all agree to when we book is a legally binding document and defines our rights which are minimal at best and what we can and can not do on the cruise.  Is the statement in the FAQ legally binding or just a suggestion?

DON

Ahhhh....nobody follows all the rules on Princess including Princess....if so there would be no chair hogs, theater seat hogs, not following basic sanitary rules in the buffet, not using treadmills in the gym when it is not time,  and so on.....Princess just needs to issue a basic dining room outfit for men and women and then the problem is over....except people would try and roll their sleeves up or have too many buttons open, etc......It really is not that important in the grand scheme of LIFE!!!

• Like 1