PCR test required by Silversea within 48 hours prior to boarding

wren2

3 hours ago, audobon_tx said:

SS needs to just do the antigen tests at the pier and charge if they must.

If they want to start charging for the test at the pier, I suppose that's fine, but they need to push the date off a good deal so as not to snare those that are already beyond final payment.  

35 minutes ago, DCPIV said:

If they want to start charging for the test at the pier, I suppose that's fine, but they need to push the date off a good deal so as not to snare those that are already beyond final payment.  

Hey stranger, how are you? They need to just go back to the previous set up. Tell Charie hey😀

• Like 1

Never mind having this sorted before final payment!

I sail in two weeks (and leave home days before that) and I do not have a boarding pass - SS say they delayed sending them because of this change but I’m feeling pretty stressed about it. My TA is doing her best but SS are dragging …

And I am not even trying to book a PCR in Barbados, I will test at the pier … I hope. 

26 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Hey stranger, how are you? They need to just go back to the previous set up. Tell Charie hey😀

Not to take this thread too far off, but we're doing fine.  Just trying to get geared up for our late April sailing, and this issue comes along.  Here's hoping it's sorted by then.

On 3/2/2022 at 11:40 AM, Herman The Cat said:

It’s clear this is just a convenient excuse — they want to stop paying the bill for pre-cruise passenger testing and this is a way to shift the expense back to passengers. It’s a way to “package and spin it”. They went from making the testing convenient at the pier to a complete and total inconvenience. I think most of us would gladly pay Silversea a fee portside for the PCR test if they could guarantee they could do it.

Also, big problem announcing this March 1 to be effective March 1.  

I am a new SS passenger  going on the SilverWind in August. This new test requirement based upon the poorly worded letter is an inexplicable and unreasonable exercise in corporate BS. I thought this was supposed to be a 6 star experience and it is in frustration generated by the email. The only way to satisfy this new requirement not required by any other owned RCL company line is a PCR-T test. In my area that test runs approx. $179-225 pp. For what? This is a point in time test same as a rapid test... 

Makes absolutely no sense . Seriously re thinking this cruise and the unecessary agita this poorly worded communication has caused. 

3 minutes ago, NYU73 said:

I am a new SS passenger  going on the SilverWind in August. This new test requirement based upon the poorly worded letter is an inexplicable and unreasonable exercise in corporate BS. I thought this was supposed to be a 6 star experience and it is in frustration generated by the email. The only way to satisfy this new requirement not required by any other owned RCL company line is a PCR-T test. In my area that test runs approx. $179-225 pp. For what? This is a point in time test same as a rapid test... 

Makes absolutely no sense . Seriously re thinking this cruise and the unecessary agita this poorly worded communication has caused. 

In this covid world, everything is screwed up. Trying to travel anywhere is going to have its challenges. Some people would be better off to wait until covid is over (if ever) and then go traveling.

• Like 1

I agree with whomever mentioned the 48 hour vs. 2 day issue. This either means a test upon arrival at an airport (assuming the airport has testing) or arranging in advance with the hotel. The issue will be getting the test results back in time. Let’s hope antigen is ok and not just PCR. 

So Silversea is stuck in neutral once again...

Why doesn't Barbara use facebook and tell her friends what the real policy is. Then someone who is in tune with customer service can tell the rest of us here what the current policy is re PCR vs Antigen testing.

In time I am hoping that Silversea will hire a more professional management team and behave more like other lines. I am sure I don't have to name them but the comparisons are not flattering.

Happy and healthy sailing!

I just spoke with the chief covid testing officer on board. She was unaware of any change from pcr but admitted we often know before her 

I pointed out some of the issues including difficulty timing cost what other lines require etc. she listened 

I directed her to this thread which she is going to bring to attention of ss management and head physician. In her words, ss puts a lot of weight on what we have to say 

stay tuned 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

A passenger on Facebook posted that he got notification from SS that this was a MISTAKE, and PCR will NOT be required :

"Please disregard the PR requirement notification
sent since the voyages departing as soon as March
will still benefit from having a rapid antigen test
done before embarkation at the pier.
Regarding the I have emailed the hotel team in
Miami directly and they have replied that there still
no information available. This is of course the same
for al guests on this voyage. As son as this is
disclosed, you will be able to se it in the information
in
"My Silversea"."

But the post is so poorly written it is unclear .

Edited by Catlover54
Clarity
  • Like 1

It is one thing to err.  We all screw up, some of us more frequently than others.  But most people, after committing an error, will rapidly correct the error and even apologize.  It seems pretty clear that the announced requirement of a PCR test was erroneous. Can we really trust corporate management that delays unconscionably in owning up to the error and correcting it?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Catlover54 said:

A passenger on Facebook posted that he got notification from SS that this was a MISTAKE, and PCR will NOT be required :

in
"My Silversea"."

Agree. Doesn’t clarify a thing. 

1 hour ago, Observer said:

It is one thing to err.  We all screw up, some of us more frequently than others.  But most people, after committing an error, will rapidly correct the error and even apologize.  It seems pretty clear that the announced requirement of a PCR test was erroneous. Can we really trust corporate management that delays unconscionably in owning up to the error and correcting it?

They seem to have or feel no sense of urgency in resolving this…or they are still in the Galapagos at the Silver Origin naming ceremony. Would think they would ask another senior level exec, perhaps Mark Conroy to IMMEDIATELY step in and provide some leadership but it doesn’t seem that way. FB had a message from Katina who is Silversea’s new head of sales saying we’ll let you know when we have more info. From someone who left Norwegian as head of sales because she wanted to delay her vaccination…and if she hasn’t been vaccinated probably won’t be able to set foot on a Silversea ship for quite sometime. And don’t even get me started on that email from the inside sales rep at Silversea…incomprehensible and an embarrassment. It’s not like they don’t have spellcheck. If the person is that sloppy with communication, how can their message have any credibility? I know this sounds harsh and I am a huge Silversea fan but this is ridiculous. JMO. 

Edited by FLRI
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Catlover54 said:

in
"My Silversea"."

???>>It would seen to me that if SS send the first message to cruiser they should have send the next one to everyone that got the first one.  This didn't’;t happen

• Like 1

Our next cruise on Silversea is in less than 6 months.

What are the chances that Silversea will start to implement timely, quality and consistent information flows to passengers and staff alike, in line with the industry's best practices and their own corporate requirements? That's not too much to ask, is it.

I recently read somewhere that Barbara Muckerman said that Silversea wants to be the largest luxury and expedition passenger line in the market. And how, may I ask, is that gonna happen?

Give me a break! If this layer of current executives has to go, fine with me. Maybe some good will come out of the current - and apparently longstanding - chaos at Silversea. I can name other lines whose communications make sense in case headhunters need some leads with potential candidates.

With all due respect, I don’t see why a cruise line might be dependent on just one person - who may or may not be accessing fast internet - to get communications right. Of course, you may be kidding. 

But to my point… Right now the Silversea website shows that daily temperature checks will start as of March 2022 and that PCR tests within 2 days of embarkation are required. You would expect accuracy from official source.

But is this even correct?

Silversea needs to look beyond any embedded “that’s the way it is” culture and practices pattern, move on and get with it. Taking customers for granted about our responsibilities and expectations is wrong. Our responsibilities are mutual, after all.

'Seamless Luxury Travel ' is the constant Mantra of the Top Executives of Silversea - Perhaps it is for them and they have no ability to even question that for the majority of their Guests it is far from the reality.

Its about time that some permanent change of approach is effected or I am afraid Silversea will disappear beneath the waves of dissatisfaction currently being experienced by their loyal Customers on so many Issues, all surrounding Communication. The Corporate Team are doing such a huge ' Kick in the Teeth ' to all those hardworking and wonderful Staff on the Ships.

I cannot see any Quality Agent recommending Silversea to past or future Clients at the moment.

I’m booked on 2 May and I called them in the UK to clarify matters because I’ve had no communication on the matter - I read it here!   The chap in the contact centre confirmed that this is the new requirement.  When I asked if they had considered the practicalities of a 48 hour rule he went on to patronise me with a lecture on the importance of safety etc.  He did however suggest that for the next few months (3?) passengers could set out the challenges and apply for an exemption.  In such cases there would be a LFT at the Port.

I agree with the sentiment on this thread.  I know minimising risk is a noble objective but if achieving it puts paid up passengers in a position where they need to completely change plans in the run up to embarkation, then they really do need to question whether they are being loyal to their brand and marketing claims.  When governments change rules we have to ‘get on with it’ I accept that.  When a company makes a unilateral decision to change the rules that’s different.  

My application goes in on Monday!

Thanks for the intel on this!!

• Like 1