TA messed up - what would you do?

JF - retired RRT

I'll start with - it's partially my fault. I'm not in the habit of looking at the Travel Summary. My bad. My cruise leaves in 52 days (so past final payment). I book online with Princess & then transfer to a TA. Due to our ages (75), I always check the box for Platinum Insurance. I've checked for outside insurance many times and it's just too darn expensive. I received the email from Princess that notifies that you have the insurance.

Now for the TA's mess. She sent me several invoices (I changed the cabin several times for a better location) all the invoices show the premium for the insurance. When I looked at the Travel Summary yesterday, I noticed where the insurance is notated it said "Not Purchased". WHAT!!??

What I've done so far:

1) I immediately sent the TA an email and asked her to check on this issue. She sent back that it was "OOPs her fault", never happened before...yada, yada, yada. Claimed that she tried to get Princess to put the insurance back on and failed. She said she'd mail me a check for the insurance. That looks to me like I paid Princess even though I didn't get it.

2) I called Princess and after a hold of about 5 minutes 😲, (I won't go through the whole story here) but he was either sick or drunk and not paying any attention to my call - I hung up in frustration.

3) sent an email to Customer Relations, begging for the insurance to be reinstated.

Is there anything else I should do?? What would you do?

FYI: TA is in my "never use again" bin.

• Like 1

I would go directly to Princess.  If your original paperwork shows that you had the Insurance, get it put back on.  If they got the money then you paid.  If they did not get the money, what is the TA refunding you ?

You may have to scan the paperwork showing the insurance or the email that the TA sent you to Princess.

16 minutes ago, JF - retired RRT said:

I'll start with - it's partially my fault. I'm not in the habit of looking at the Travel Summary. My bad. My cruise leaves in 52 days (so past final payment). I book online with Princess & then transfer to a TA. Due to our ages (75), I always check the box for Platinum Insurance. I've checked for outside insurance many times and it's just too darn expensive. I received the email from Princess that notifies that you have the insurance.

Now for the TA's mess. She sent me several invoices (I changed the cabin several times for a better location) all the invoices show the premium for the insurance. When I looked at the Travel Summary yesterday, I noticed where the insurance is notated it said "Not Purchased". WHAT!!??

What I've done so far:

1) I immediately sent the TA an email and asked her to check on this issue. She sent back that it was "OOPs her fault", never happened before...yada, yada, yada. Claimed that she tried to get Princess to put the insurance back on and failed. She said she'd mail me a check for the insurance. That looks to me like I paid Princess even though I didn't get it.

2) I called Princess and after a hold of about 5 minutes 😲, (I won't go through the whole story here) but he was either sick or drunk and not paying any attention to my call - I hung up in frustration.

3) sent an email to Customer Relations, begging for the insurance to be reinstated.

Call Princess again. Each agent is different. Be prepared for a very long wait.

Look at GeoBlue for an estimate of their insurance

Contact Steve at https://tripinsurancestore.com

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Alaskanb said:

Call Princess again. Each agent is different. Be prepared for a very long wait.

In addition to the Princess Platinum insurance, we also buy a yearly GeoBlue policy for international medical/evacuation coverage.  It's not that expensive...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

While I never go through a TA, I *have* successfully added insurance after original booking.  The TA angle may very well be the issue...but as others have said...call Princess and see.  I can't imagine them turning down "more money".

Call (don't enter information into an online form)...actually call and talk to a live person at one of the popular sites mentioned on CC frequently.

Ask them what they offer that is comparable to Princess Platinum.  You might be surprised.  

Note that is probably too late to purchase "Cancel for Any Reason" coverage which may be a part of Princess Platinum (can't recall)

39 minutes ago, 007colocruz said:

If you get no where after going directly to Princess cancel with confidence before 30 days prior to cruise & rebook later 

Thanks for the reply, but that could create issues...Used FCCs for most of the fare and they're about to expire, used FCD & it is expired. Really looking forward to this cruise, it's the first time in a suite. I'll put it on my list, just in case.

53 minutes ago, roxievegas said:

If they did not get the money, what is the TA refunding you ?

Sounds like TA got it but omitted forwarding to Princess through multiple rebookings so refunding it

1 hour ago, JF - retired RRT said:

I called Princess and after a hold of about 5 minutes 😲, .... not paying any attention to my call - I hung up in frustration.

Nope. If you book with a TA then that's who you work with.  

BEST RESPONSE:: 

57 minutes ago, Alaskanb said:

Or are you USAA?? If so they will add insurance but not Cancel for Any Reason as that must be purchased within 30 days of booking trip. 

11 minutes ago, Ombud said:

Sounds like TA got it but omitted forwarding to Princess through multiple rebookings so refunding it

Nope. If you book with a TA then that's who you work with.  

BEST RESPONSE:: 

Or are you USAA?? If so they will add insurance but not Cancel for Any Reason as that must be purchased within 30 days of booking trip. 

Yes. Thanks for the suggestion, but USAA was the same price for ONE trip as GeoBlue for a whole year & we have 3 cruises this year.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, JF - retired RRT said:

Yes. Thanks for the suggestion, but USAA was the same price for ONE trip as GeoBlue for a whole year & we have 3 cruises this year.

Wow!! Thanks for the news RE: GeoBlue!! I'll use them next time

• Like 3

Thanks for the reply, but that could create issues...Used FCCs for most of the fare and they're about to expire, used FCD & it is expired. Really looking forward to this cruise, it's the first time in a suite. I'll put it on my list, just in case.

Sorry I am no help 

recently I used Cruise  with Confidence to cancel my cruise 42 days prior to sailing. Had PVP too, but used Cruise with Confidence to get back all my FCC ( which paid 3/4 of my bill ) & got me back the rest including the amount I paid for PVP insurance to my credit card. My FCC were all returned to my account with the same expiry date of December 31/22 

16 minutes ago, Sammythewonderdog said:

If I have emails confirming everything you have said, then I let the TA know they are open to any liability arising from a potential claim.  This should motivate them to work a little harder at getting your coverage.

I thought of that...didn't know if I should use a threat of a lawsuit as a motivator.

Just got this email from the TA

"I called and held for over 2 hours . I got them to put it back on. He saw that if fell off somehow when final payment was made. Makes no sense but at least he put it back on. Yay! I couldn’t sleep last night over this. Im so sorry again for the confusion."

My sincere thanks to EVERYONE for helping me with this. 

After all the suggestions, I'm going to get GeoBlue soon to cover all of my future cruises.

Cruise Critic is GREAT!!!!

• Like 14

This is GREAT!! Cruise Critic to the rescue. I'm leaning toward GeoBlue, even IF I can get Princess to reinstate the insurance.

I have been using annual GeoBlue Trekker for about 3 years now.  It just gives that extra comfort feeling in regards to medical coverage on top of Medicare.  Very affordable.  Less than a beverage package!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, JF - retired RRT said:

"I called and held for over 2 hours . I got them to put it back on. He saw that if fell off somehow when final payment was made. Makes no sense but at least he put it back on. Yay! I couldn’t sleep last night over this. Im so sorry again for the confusion."

After all the suggestions, I'm going to get GeoBlue soon to cover all of my future cruises.

Great news!  It's nice to have the Princess coverage along with whatever medical coverage you decide on.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Congrats! I have dealt with a Princess situation where Princess screwed up and it took 5 days of calling and several hours on the phone to get to someone who understood the situation. I know Princess used to have competent staff but know they don't (not on the ships). I finally got someone who understood and it took several days to fix it. I need to email Princess with the name of the person who did finally listen to me and helped me as she was a rock star. The rest I dealt with seemed like brand new employees who have never been on a cruise or understand a cruise process. So frustrating. 

Glad your issue is resolved.

Edited by Coral
  • Thanks 1

Sounds as if everything worked out well!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, JF - retired RRT said:

What I've done so far:

Did you keep a copy of the e-mail confirming that you have the insurance?  Do you have copies of all the paperwork from your TA?  If you do, you can demand that the TA purchase an independent insurance policy for you.  If you don't you have lost a lot of leverage.

You have a really bad TA.  If they can't handle it and it is a large multi person office, politely demand to speak to their superior.  If they superior can't help, bump the complaint higher.  

Hanging up in frustration did not get you anywhere.  If you had read any of the many posts on Princess hold times, the fact that you were on hold for only 5 minutes was totally unusual.  Usual holds appear to be several hours. You should have demanded to speak to a superior at Princess.

I never get it when people send an e-mail to a vendor and expect that the vendor will respond promptly or even at all.  They may get to your e-mail in several days or more likely not at all.  Call them.  Call them again.  It is a lot harder to evade a person on the telephone than an e-mail.  

By the way, get a cell phone recording app for your phone and use it when you make your phone calls.

DON

10 minutes ago, donaldsc said:

Did you keep a copy of the e-mail confirming that you have the insurance?  Do you have copies of all the paperwork from your TA? Yes. I have it all. If you do, you can demand that the TA purchase an independent insurance policy for you.  If you don't you have lost a lot of leverage. That was one of the options I considered.

You have a really bad TA.  She owns the agency & right now it's a one man band. Had to layoff 2 or 3 others.

Hanging up in frustration did not get you anywhere.  I know the hold time wasn't excessive. The problem was, he wasn't paying attention. I'd ask or answer a question and get total silence. I kept having to ask "are you there?".

Thanks for the suggestions & feed-back.