Allure “LIVE” 3/5-3/13 - The allure of the Allure

14 minutes ago, kevnick0814 said:

Thanks for the review!

Question:

I know you dealt with a lot of wind but was the 'secret deck' on 14 forward open for sun & lounging? We were last on the Allure 5 years ago and make a return visit this June. It is a great place to get some sun, away from the craziness of the pool deck areas. Thanks!

When I was aboard in January there were no chairs so lounging was not an option. It was also frequently shut down if any wind.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

When I was aboard in January there were no chairs so lounging was not an option. It was also frequently shut down if any wind.

Thanks! Just glad to know that they haven't taken that space away yet. As soon as Allure goes in for the remodel, bye bye to the 'secret deck'. Hoping the winds are mellower in early June. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kevnick0814 said:

Thanks for the review!

Question:

I know you dealt with a lot of wind but was the 'secret deck' on 14 forward open for sun & lounging? We were last on the Allure 5 years ago and make a return visit this June. It is a great place to get some sun, away from the craziness of the pool deck areas. Thanks!

Every time I looked, the chairs were lashed.  I did walk out a couple early port mornings.  

23 hours ago, rhino7176 said:

Thanks for sharing your journey!  We board the Allure on April 2nd for a virgin islands cruise.  Ports have changed a bit, no St. Thomas for us, but good to hear things are more open and active on the Allure!

I'll be onboard right with you on the 2nd!!!

• Like 3

16 hours ago, not-enough-cruising said:

I can’t imagine giving up my 360 degree 4 wheel luggage for 2 wheel. 

I can’t imagine giving up my two wheel for 4, I am a more compact walker, less chance of injury, better navigation, less hang ups, more compact stowing, there’s a lot of stuff I don’t wanna give up for a 4, and don’t get me started on cobblestones 🙂 

2 hours ago, Kathscof said:

I can’t imagine giving up my two wheel for 4, I am a more compact walker, less chance of injury, better navigation, less hang ups, more compact stowing, there’s a lot of stuff I don’t wanna give up for a 4, and don’t get me started on cobblestones 🙂 

But all 360 degree 4 wheel luggage is also 2 wheel luggage by simple tilting forward.  Why not have the best of both worlds?

To each their own, your thoughts on the topic are appreciated.

• Like 1

On 3/14/2022 at 2:33 PM, not-enough-cruising said:

I can’t imagine giving up my 360 degree 4 wheel luggage for 2 wheel. 

My husband pulls his 4 wheel carryon like a 2 wheeler. I wish I knew why!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

16 hours ago, jagsfan said:

My husband pulls his 4 wheel carryon like a 2 wheeler. I wish I knew why!

21 hours ago, not-enough-cruising said:

But all 360 degree 4 wheel luggage is also 2 wheel luggage by simple tilting forward.  Why not have the best of both worlds?

To each their own, your thoughts on the topic are appreciated.

I would love for a 4 wheeled suitcase to have as compact and sturdy wheels as a two.....but alas.....

Just got home from this same cruise (tip, do not fly standby during Spring break).

It was a pleasant cruise and I’m happy I got to go on it.

The shows were nice and I loved seeing Mamma Mia. Central Park was great. 

Food was okay. Not bad, but not like back in the day on the Radiance like 20 years ago. 

Service was good. They seemed a bit stressed out though compared to other lines, and maybe it was a mix of more people and less staff. No issues though. 

Got to ride the zip line! They also weigh you to make sure it’s okay on the line and I never want to look at a scale again after that 😅

Masks weren’t required on ship, but they were in the ports. Only about half followed those rules sadly in port (c’mom people don’t persuade the selfish American tourist stereotype).

Sadly my dad ended up getting COVID. He didn’t feel too well the last day but just had a headache so we rested in his room. The next day he had a bad cough, body aches, and chills. Rested a day but had to get home so we could rest. Ended up being positive. He admittedly wasn’t wearing his mask as often as the rest of us were, and he was wearing a cloth one and not a medical or 95 one. 

Overall I had fun on the ship and I’m glad I went. I think it may be a bit crowded for our tastes but I’m excited to see Royal’s new Icon of the Seas (whenever that comes out).

Edited by sergel02
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, sergel02 said:

Got to ride the zip line! They also weigh you to make sure it’s okay on the line and I never want to look at a scale again after that 😅

I saw the scale up there, but they didn’t weigh either of us. 

The only time we had to get weighed before an activity was before I- fly on Odyssey 

11 minutes ago, h20skibum said:

I saw the scale up there, but they didn’t weigh either of us. 

The only time we had to get weighed before an activity was before I- fly on Odyssey 

Maybe they weight me because I looked fat? 😆😂🥲

8 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

Then you definitely don’t want to go when they get back to “normal “ capacity. 

Yeah that’s partly why we wanted to go now versus later. There were 4100 passengers. Can’t imagine what it’s like at 6000.

We we’re supposed to take this ship or the Wonder to the Med in June, and I’m happy we didn’t. It doesn’t have many spots to look out from, it seems more made for the Caribbean where more time is spent on the ship. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, sergel02 said:

We we’re supposed to take this ship or the Wonder to the Med in June, and I’m happy we didn’t. It doesn’t have many spots to look out from, it seems more made for the Caribbean where more time is spent on the ship. 

Absolutely. If you're coming all the way across the pond to see the sights of Europe, you're way, way better to choose a smaller ship. They can get into more ports and you don't pay a premium for a bunch of bells and whistles you're not going to be using.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, FionaMG said:

Absolutely. If you're coming all the way across the pond to see the sights of Europe, you're way, way better to choose a smaller ship. They can get into more ports and you don't pay a premium for a bunch of bells and whistles you're not going to be using.

This is so true.  We were thinking of doing a Mediterranean cruise on Celebrity Beyond since we want to see that ship class,  but looking at the itinerary it has like 7 ports and 1 sea day. We already get tired from 3 ports haha. We’d never get to see the ship.

I noticed some of the smaller ships, or ships with less people, sometimes stay longer too. Some of Celebrity or Holland ships stay in Santorini until after sunset. When we went on our NCL Jade it left like at 4 or 5 so it was a bit disappointing.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, sergel02 said:

This is so true.  We were thinking of doing a Mediterranean cruise on Celebrity Beyond since we want to see that ship class,  but looking at the itinerary it has like 7 ports and 1 sea day. We already get tired from 3 ports haha. We’d never get to see the ship.

I noticed some of the smaller ships, or ships with less people, sometimes stay longer too. Some of Celebrity or Holland ships stay in Santorini until after sunset. When we went on our NCL Jade it left like at 4 or 5 so it was a bit disappointing.

Exactly. For us, as Europeans, the big ships are great precisely because we don't feel the need to get off at every port, so we can enjoy the ship as a destination in itself, in the same way you do in the Caribbean. I recently said to DH that we need to start looking at smaller ships when we head Stateside because there's lot to see that we're missing by just sticking to the big ones.

Celebrity do some great itineraries. I've noticed they have a few with overnight stops in some of the European ports. That would be a great idea for you, if you can find some that suit you.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sergel02 said:

I noticed some of the smaller ships, or ships with less people, sometimes stay longer too. Some of Celebrity or Holland ships stay in Santorini until after sunset.

The Celebrity Beyond stays in Santorini until 10PM. Just sayin....

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, FionaMG said:

Honestly, if you are coming all the way across the pond to see the sights of Europe, a cruise isn’t the best way to do it.  A River cruise might be different.  But a typical Mediterranean cruise would not be a great way to see things.  

I’d do X amount of days in one or varying cities in addition to a cruise if I wanted to really experience Europe.  Almost all cruises don’t give you the time to even scratch the surface in a port and in many cities a week might seem like too short of a stay.  Doing land based travel and a cruise can provide the best of both worlds if time allows for it.  

If a cruise is all that works, it is certainly better than not seeing any of Europe and of course it should still be a blast.  

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, dani negreanu said:

The Celebrity Beyond stays in Santorini until 10PM. Just sayin....

It is smaller than some NCL and Royal ships…though I don’t know if they go to Santorini. 

Honestly I really want to go back to Santorini but in something like that stays late. We went in the NCL Jade and rushed through the whole day. Had to walk with the donkeys down the steps since the tram would take too long. Would love to go back and sit at a local restaurant and watch the sunset. 

• Like 2