The Daily for Saturday 03/05/2022

richwmn

1 hour ago, 4966and556 said:

Real poutine with the proper cheese curds is amazing!  I've never heard of having mushrooms in poutine.  That would be a deal breaker for me. 

Have you had poutine with smoked meat?  That’s how my husband eats it.  Since I don’t eat meat, I sub mushrooms. Can’t believe all the posts who don’t like poutine.  My hangover cure in college was French fries with gravy.  Poutine is even better.

Cheers to all getting ready to cruise!

🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦

• Like 23

Interesting collection of days. I had poutine in Montreal before my last cruise - Canada/New England. I was not into it. My son loves it so that’s the only reason I tried it. 

The meal and drink sound delicious. 

Another warm day here before a cold front comes through and knocks us back down to the 50’s/60’s. 

This time next week, I will be waking up in Florida ready for my NA cruise! I’ve been packed for 2 weeks already 😁

• Like 24

2 minutes ago, 0106 said:

Have you had poutine with smoked meat?  That’s how my husband eats it.  Since I don’t eat meat, I sub mushrooms. Can’t believe all the posts who don’t like poutine.  My hangover cure in college was French fries with gravy.  Poutine is even better.

Cheers to all getting ready to cruise!

🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦

When I was stationed in Ft Meade in the 80’s, I recall having gravy on my fries at a local restaurant. I thought that was the weirdest thing. I had grown up dipping them in mustard, not drowning them in gravy - lol. 

• Like 15
  • Haha 4

Kazu, Please don't feel guilty. You are so involved both physically and mentally that at some point, you need to take time out for yourself just to rest. It is very hard to see a loved one who needs care outside your home. You walk a tightrope between being gracious to the staff and trying to get your loved ones needs met without alienating the care workers. " Stay home, have a good cry, and then a nice hot cup of tea with 2 sugars " was what my grandmother would advise. Surprisingly, this does work well even today.

• Like 30
  • Thanks 2

41 minutes ago, ger_77 said:

Good morning, thanks for the Daily! I'm not a fan of poutine, I'd rather have my fries plain.  This week, a restaurant in Quebec changed the name of the dish because in French poutine is pronounced exactly like a particular Russian leader's name.  Instead the menu read "Cheese and Gravy Fries".  My uncle and cousin used to run the film projector at the town theatre when I was a child; I often went in and was amazed at how they did it.  A polite "no" on the absinthe - we have a bottle of it in our liquor cabinet, but I don't care for the taste of it.  DH has a teaspoon of it once in a while.

Holy snowflake, Batman; did we get a bunch of them yesterday!  Well over a foot of snow dropped on us from about 1AM to 6 last night.  After that, I have no idea, but I see we'll be out there clearing again today, as it looks like another 3 or 4 inches.  The community group that should have shown up yesterday didn't (giving them the benefit of the doubt, I'm sure they were working their hearts out on other driveways), so our neighbour with a snow blower came over and did our driveway twice - first at 10AM and again at 4PM.  The banks that line our driveway are now so high I can only see over them if I stand on my tippy toes, and I'm 5'6" tall.  I'm glad we didn't have to go out in the mess, as there were lots of accidents with people who apparently drove as if they'd never seen snow before.  LOL

@marshhawkI think you were totally justified with your complaint in the restaurant - if you're going to charge more, you definitely shouldn't be reducing the serving sizes.

@kazu my heart goes out to you trying to deal with Jose's change in temperament; I'm sorry you don't have the luxury of having someone else you can tag team into the position of DSP.  Sure wish I could help.

@smitty34877 I think I'd be making oatmeal for breakfast to get everyone warmed up!

@grapau27thinking of you today as you remember your dear Dad.  No matter how many years pass, the date of their departure always weighs heavy on one's heart.

I like today's menu suggestion, but will tuck it away for another day - I've got ground beef thawing in the fridge that will be made into hamburgers.  Burgers in the George Foreman and air fried french fries along with crunchy coleslaw will be what's on our table tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  Extra prayers for the people of Ukraine and all those who are helping them.  We'll cheer on all who make up the happy list (which is nice and long) tonight as well.  Stay well, get your boosters, wear your masks when you feel you need to, be safe, wash your hands and keep warm!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry 

Many thanks Gerry.

Graham.

• Like 13

Good morning everyone. It’s going to be in the 50s today and 70 tomorrow. We’ve made plans to meet our good friends in one of the many gazebos around our community. 
My PT for balance has been going very well and Inwas able to cook an entire meal without pain. That’s a first in many years. They have also taught me how to get up from the floor if I fall.

Hopefully, I won’t ever have to use that technique.

Sam has been approved by the long term care company for another year of service so I am now going to work on changing agencies to see if I can get a better aide. 
My daughter had a nanny from Russia when my grandsons were young so she could work. They have stayed in touch to this day and used to meet in Europe with the kids every summer. They have been in touch with her and she and her daughter are ok but it’s not possible to know how much she knows about what is going on in Ukraine. We pray for peace for the people there and hope this awful situation finds a solution quickly.

Stay safe everyone,

Carol

• Like 26
  • Thanks 1

Good morning.  Safe travels @aliaschief.  I am another one who doesn't care for poutine.  Will also pass of the other two days.  The meal looks fantastic, thank you @dfish.  Thank you Rich and Roy for our lists.  We've not been to today's destination.  I really like the Einstein quote having taught 6 yr olds for 30 years.

Prayers and toasts to our lists.

Stay safe, social distance, and wear your mask.

The Berry Thought of You:

Ingredients
1 1/2 parts Pinnacle® Original Vodka
1/2 part DeKuyper® Crème de Cassis Liqueur
1/2 part Simple Syrup
1/2 part Fresh Squeezed Lemon Juice
Soda Water to top
Garnish: Blackberries, Lemon Wheel,
Thyme Sprig

Instructions
Combine all ingredients except soda water in a shaker with ice. Shake and strain into a collins glass over fresh ice. Top with soda water and give a gentle stir to combine. Garnish with fresh blackberries, a lemon wheel or thyme.

Screen Shot 2022-03-05 at 9.31.14 AM.png

• Like 23
  • Thanks 4

Good Morning from a warm and sunny day at the beach

Never had poutine, not sure if I would like it. Todays menu sounds interesting. May have to give it a try. Thanks @dfish for the recipes.

@aliaschief Have a wonderful cruise. 

@grapau27 May your memories of your Dad bring you peace today. 

@kazu Take time for yourself. It is important to step back periodically tohe recharge.  You are loved.

Met with the caterer yesterday for final counts and menu tweaking. Today I am putting the gift bags together and finalizing the foursomes.   My friend is trying to be as helpful as she can, but is very limited.  I have pulled in a few of my buddies to help. It will be a lot of fun, even if I cant play.  

Stay safe and enjoy today

• Like 23
  • Thanks 2

Good morning everyone from the airport in Ft Lauderdale, awaiting our flight home.  We had a great time on Nieuw Amsterdam even though we missed Curaçao due to high winds preventing us from docking.  The ship was in excellent condition and the staff was as wonderful as ever. I think we sailed at about half capacity which was awesome in itself.

Thanks for the daily report, I’ve missed it the past week. Love poutine, although I’ve only had it a few times, the first being in Quebec City.  I miss reel films and the intermission between the reels.  I’ve never tried Absinthe but the real stuff caused madness in the past.  I like the quote today. I think I’ll just pass on all food and drink for a while!  Haven’t been to today’s port and look forward to seeing the photos. Prayers for everyone on our list.  Cheers to everyone celebrating happy events today.

• Like 29

Good morning from a windy SoFlo,

No doctor appointments for DH today so we're going grocery shopping later. His bruises are slowly resolving , but the arm that was badly abraded still looks "nasty". It is still bleeding a little but there a no signs of infection when I change the dressings. his knee is improved, but still needs dressings. Thanks goodness for Tegaderm (Tm) its the best stuff for his skin. Need to order more, and of course the price has gone up since I last ordered. 

@kazu It is difficult to be in your situation as the person you knew has changed so much. Please take care of yourself and I will continue to look for your memes each day. Somehow they always are exactly on point.

Hope everyone has a good Saturday and stays well

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1

Made it to Atlanta and in Delta Sky Lounge for a couple of hours awaiting flight to Miami. Atlanta airport is always amazing to watch the busiest airport operations. It’s huge and today one could say fairly calm compared to a Friday or Monday peak days.

We are staying at the JW Marriott tonight in Miami and will be utilizing Azamara’s transfer service to the ship tomorrow afternoon. Boarding starts at 2:00 PM.

We are one Covid test away before going on a new adventure. After almost 500 days exclusively sailing Hal we are excited to experience a new cruise line.

Can you feel our excitement? We are so Blessed to be able to do this. All one has to do is look at the Ukrainian’s to realize how fortunate we really are. Actually one just needs to look around us to sense our fortunes.

Enjoy this beautiful day.

• Like 32
  • Thanks 1

Good morning from sunny and windy Quartzsite.  Today is DH's birthday, but we'll celebrate in the Pinnacle tomorrow night.  The big project today is packing

Of the days today, I remember reel films.  We've never had poutine, and we passed on it in Canada.  We've also never had absinthe , and from reading about it, we probably won't try it.

I like the Albert Einstein quote. 

Today's meal sounds good, but I'm still working on getting things in the freezer eaten.  We'll pass on the drink, but the wine sounds interesting with a good price.

We've not been to today's port, so I'll enjoy everyone's pictures.

@kazu  Jacqui, it is not awful that you need a day off going to see Jose.  As we've said, you need time for yourself both physically and mentally.

@grapau27  Graham, sending a big hug on your dad's remembrance day.

@aliaschief Safe travels today, and have a great cruise.

@cat shepard  Ann, I don't blame you for just walking around the First Friday event.

@marshhawk  Ann, don't apologize for venting.  I think we all have at one time.

@StLouisCruisers  Sandi, that is not the first time the Coral Princess has spent extra time in port waiting on the fuel barge. 

@mamaofami  Carol, that is good news that the PT is helping you.  Also, the news that Sam was approved more long-term care means you have a chance to try another agency and hopefully find a great aide.

@cunnorl  Sounds like the tournament is under control and you have good helpers.

@Mr. Boston  Safe travels home.  Glad the cruise was good.

@HAL Sailer  Good news that your DH is getting better after his accident.

@kazu Jacqui and @marshhawk Ann, prices going up seems to be the norm, but decreasing the portion size too is just too much.  I understand the sticker shock about gas prices.  On the way to Parker, we noticed the truck stops were charging $4.09 for regular.  We filled up in Parker at a station owned by the CRIT reservation, and we paid $3.60.  Parker and Yuma have better prices than Quartzsite.  We get a lot of LA trafiic so we pay more here.  I still think the stations here are gouging.  Yesterday afternoon, one truck stop had raised the price to $4.29.  That's 20 cents in 8 hours!

Time to get breakfast, then start packing.

Lenda

• Like 25
  • Thanks 2

Hi Dailyites,

It has been a bit since I popped in here, so today seems like a good time. I do read the thread every day and talk to you (or at my computer) with laughter (all the memes!!), empathy, occasional sympathy and gratefulness. You just can't hear me...Lol.

I always learn something by the input from different posters. 😊

Very happy to hear about all of the cruiser's trip details going on with some here, the COVID testing, ports visited to the life onboard the ships. It warms my heart to know things are progressing back to regular cruising albeit baby steps.

I have been trying to watch sail-ins (if I am awake) and sail aways with the BHB on the Port cam. I can't always get into the window, it stalls, at sail away time. It may be because the other webcam is down. One day there were over 1000 people trying to get into the cam window. It is fun to watch either one and wishing I was onboard.

Loving all of the port pictures, even any repeats. They bring back good memories and show me places I haven't been and should visit.

My thanks again to @richwmn and @rafinmd for their diligent work on keeping the daily lists going. I appreciate that it must be some work.

@dfishthanks for the recipes; today's are looking good to me. I have a pork loin in the freezer that will be coming out to be cooked. I have not cooked with marsala wine so will need to get some of that.

I am also in the club that does not Poutine; tasted in once in Montreal but isn't for me. I do not like gravy so...

I would like to try absinthe and see what the fuss is about.

Prayers, hugs and celebrations for everyone. We all need all of these at different times.

Stay safe and take care! 

• Like 29

1 hour ago, cunnorl said:

Good Morning from a warm and sunny day at the beach

Never had poutine, not sure if I would like it. Todays menu sounds interesting. May have to give it a try. Thanks @dfish for the recipes.

@aliaschief Have a wonderful cruise. 

@grapau27 May your memories of your Dad bring you peace today. 

@kazu Take time for yourself. It is important to step back periodically tohe recharge.  You are loved.

Met with the caterer yesterday for final counts and menu tweaking. Today I am putting the gift bags together and finalizing the foursomes.   My friend is trying to be as helpful as she can, but is very limited.  I have pulled in a few of my buddies to help. It will be a lot of fun, even if I cant play.  

Stay safe and enjoy today

22 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Good morning from sunny and windy Quartzsite.  Today is DH's birthday, but we'll celebrate in the Pinnacle tomorrow night.  The big project today is packing

Of the days today, I remember reel films.  We've never had poutine, and we passed on it in Canada.  We've also never had absinthe , and from reading about it, we probably won't try it.

Today's meal sounds good, but I'm still working on getting things in the freezer eaten.  We'll pass on the drink, but the wine sounds interesting with a good price.

@kazu  Jacqui, it is not awful that you need a day off going to see Jose.  As we've said, you need time for yourself both physically and mentally.

@cat shepard  Ann, I don't blame you for just walking around the First Friday event.

@StLouisCruisers  Sandi, that is not the first time the Coral Princess has spent extra time in port waiting on the fuel barge. 

@mamaofami  Carol, that is good news that the PT is helping you.  Also, the news that Sam was approved more long-term care means you have a chance to try another agency and hopefully find a great aide.

@cunnorl  Sounds like the tournament is under control and you have good helpers.

@kazu Jacqui and @marshhawk Ann, prices going up seems to be the norm, but decreasing the portion size too is just too much.  I understand the sticker shock about gas prices.  On the way to Parker, we noticed the truck stops were charging $4.09 for regular.  We filled up in Parker at a station owned by the CRIT reservation, and we paid $3.60.  Parker and Yuma have better prices than Quartzsite.  We get a lot of LA trafiic so we pay more here.  I still think the stations here are gouging.  Yesterday afternoon, one truck stop had raised the price to $4.29.  That's 20 cents in 8 hours!

Lenda

Thank you both for your well wishes today.

Graham.

• Like 15

36 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Lenda

I wish your  DH a  wonderful  Birthday and  many  more.

JIM.

• Like 18

Good morning. Thanks for the Daily.

I confess to never having had poutine. Does reel film still exist? No to absinthe.

Good quote. Some people can't simplify because they don't understand well enough.

The meal sounds good. Pass on the drink, but I'll take the wine.

I have been to Santiago, as it was the start of my SA/Antarctica cruise on the Zaandam in 2018. We left from Port San Antonio as there was a strike at Valparaiso that had become violent.

It will be a nice day here with temps into the 60's.

@grapau27 Prayers and hugs for you on the anniversary of your Dad's passing.

@kazu So sorry to hear that Jose has been having these issues that are so hard on you. Prayers that this improves and prayers for you to stay strong. Do take some time for yourself. I'm sure moving rooms is similar to sundowning in people with health issues (my Mother experienced that). (((HUGS))).

@aliaschief Bon Voyage!

@smitty34877 Oh no on waking up to no heat. I hear you about it taking a while to heat up; I have a boiler in this 115 year old 3-story house and it seems to only go up 1 degree/hour if the heat's been off.

@ger_77 Wow on the amount of snow you got! Kind of the neighbor to help by snow blowing, when the group didn't show up.

@mamaofami Good to hear that your PT is helping so much. And great that Sam was approved for another year of service; I hope you can find better aides.

@Quartzsite Cruiser Happy Birthday to your DH! Bon Voyage!

Prayers for the Care List and Ukraine/refugees/helpers. A toast to the Celebration List.

Copied from my April 12 post.

View of Gran Torre Santiago

550518544_007-12_16.18SantiagoChile.thumb.jpg.8a73338cdc6d7b717c79e9b3ba91803e.jpg

Mary Statue, San Cristobal Hill, Santiago

1971580052_010-12_16.18-MaryStatueSanChristobalHillSantiagoChile.thumb.jpg.4784c3f3dab32aaefea198acf22a49fa.jpg

Monument to the indigenous people, Plaza de Armas, Santiago

1885988424_021-12_16.18MonumenttotheIndigenousPeoplePlazadeArmasSantiagoChile.thumb.jpg.0cc7ab23cb8b43f5d4d749f0b72fd5ce.jpg

Christmas tree in Plaza de Armas, Metropolitan Cathedral in back.

246942452_027-12_16.18ChristmasTreeinPlazadeArmasinfrontofMetropolitanCathedral(CatedralMetropolitana)SantiagoChile.thumb.jpg.4f453b33b0cfd987c057d6659a6115c7.jpg

Funicular San Cristobal Hill

612270563_033-12_16.18FunicularSanCristobalHillSantiagoChile.thumb.jpg.d6c7088f1dcc29efd7e8bc5d5251f280.jpg

The Zaandam in San Antonio

195817185_039-12_17.18BoardingtheHALZaandamforSAcruise.thumb.jpg.760aab91a158beefe3b3a54362a83fb1.jpg

Leaving the port

051 - 12.17.18 Port San Antonio, Chile.jpg

• Like 26
  • Thanks 5