No Rotating Menu

cruzsnooze

1 hour ago, Bgwest said:

A few years ago...........I see.......then you are referring the way things used to be. 

We've also enjoyed some very nice extra CC entrees and desserts. Long ago and far away.

But as this discussion is about the present going forward, my comments relate to the 4 Princess (Emerald, CB, CB, Grand) cruises we've taken since restart. Prepare to have your expectations tempered. 

We have not sailed in 2 years due to family issues and then cruise after cruise canceled even in 2022. Our next cruise will be April 30 on the Majestic and I will be happy to report back. 

7 minutes ago, memoak said:

We have not sailed in 2 years due to family issues and then cruise after cruise canceled even in 2022. Our next cruise will be April 30 on the Majestic and I will be happy to report back. 

I certainly hope that CC gets back to normal by the time you sail. Our next outing is 4/16 for a TA from PE. I don't expect anything to change by then but we can all hope. Let us know what you find. 

21 hours ago, brisalta said:

At least on the Grand Princess there were 1 or 2 dishes served in the MDR that were not on the menu. These dishes were prepared by the head waiter. I do not know if this is still happening after the restart of cruising.

We were on the Grand Princess on a 15 day Hawaii cruise which ended on 28 February. We were in a suite and therefore were eating every night in CC. The menu was the same as the MDR with 1 additional item. Sometimes a main item and sometimes a entrée. the "special" item was cooked in the galley and not by the head waiter. The main advantage was that we could show up when we wanted to and rarely had to wait more than 13 min. to be seated.

4 hours ago, memoak said:

The steak Diane I had a few years ago was one of the best versions I have ever had

I had that in Club Class two weeks ago on the Regal and it was still quite good.  I've had better in land based restaurants but it was quite tasty on the Regal.

16 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

There are discussions of this topic on that forum.

I'm just not clear on why it's on the Princess forum at all. It's got nothing to do with Princess.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Kmkub said:

I'm just not clear on why it's on the Princess forum at all. It's got nothing to do with Princess.

Why--Princess offers Club Class dining to its suite and club class mini suite guests.

18 minutes ago, PatriciaF said:

Why--Princess offers Club Class dining to its suite and club class mini suite guests.

And that is related to NCL changing their menu, how?

• Thanks 1

It's note worthy to see when a major change happens to a another mass market line how it will/may effect Princess.  Most of the major Mass cruise lines follow each other and it's kinda an insight of things to come. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Kmkub said:

I think the OP was trying to say that another cruise line is doing this, will Princess follow.

BTW, on the NCL boards the reaction to this is mostly negative.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

I think the OP was trying to say that another cruise line is doing this, will Princess follow.

BTW, on the NCL boards the reaction to this is mostly negative.

what if threads don’t seem to accomplish much except getting people worked up about something that may never happen.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, PatriciaF said:

Because this is a princess board…and I was searching for club class dining

Club class dining discussion is off topic. The thread is about Norwegian’s menu changes, which belongs in the NCL forum.

8 hours ago, JimmyVWine said:

Except that the Specialty Restaurants have menus that rarely change.  So moving over from one static menu to a paid-for static menu hardly seems like a winning play. 

If they do this in the MDR, it would be just like eating at the same restarurant every single day at home.  We shouldn't have to hop around/pay for specialty restaurants to get variety.

Not everyone wants/needs to eat at surcharge restaurants.  We do once in a while, but it's not a priority for us.  We have always gotten very good food in MDR's, NCL as well as other lines.

Edited by Nebr.cruiser
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Kmkub said:

Club class dining discussion is off topic. The thread is about Norwegian’s menu changes, which belongs in the NCL forum.

The question was, what would people that normally sail Princess think if the menu was changed in a similar fashion.

So it really does apply to this board. 

• Like 5

Two thoughts:

1) Didn't RCI try this when the first Behemoth of the Seas debuted? As I remember it, they had about 3 included dining rooms with a different fixed menu for each one. It was not a popular concept and RCI dropped the idea.

2) Princess has already cut back on the number of different items on the dinner menus. As just one example, there are no longer different ice cream flavors each evening. Just C,V and S every night.

48 minutes ago, caribill said:

2) Princess has already cut back on the number of different items on the dinner menus. As just one example, there are no longer different ice cream flavors each evening. Just C,V and S every night.

Now that I didn't hear about yet. 😔

Someone just posted recently that they now have Gelato in the DR. I guess we'll have to investigate for ourselves. 

10 hours ago, Kmkub said:

what if threads don’t seem to accomplish much except getting people worked up about something that may never happen.

Since you replied to me, I did not start the topic; I only tried to reply to your post as to why it was here. The OP wondered if this would spread to other lines including Princess.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, MissP22 said:

Now that I didn't hear about yet. 😔

Someone just posted recently that they now have Gelato in the DR. I guess we'll have to investigate for ourselves. 

It was that way on the Regal and DH was not happy that they just had Gelato.  He likes the old fashioned ice cream and had it pretty much every night after dinner.

1 minute ago, azbirdmom said:

It was that way on the Regal and DH was not happy that they just had Gelato.  He likes the old fashioned ice cream and had it pretty much every night after dinner.

In January, I had a volcano for dessert and it had old fashioned ice cream in it.  (It was really just a fancy banana split.)

Edited by Daniel A
  • Like 1

On 3/8/2022 at 3:28 PM, pms4104 said:

So, if you're not pleased with the first night's menu, you won't like the offerings the rest of the trip.  Bleh.

Seems like a way to 'encourage' specialty dining venues

2 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

In January, I had a volcano for dessert and it had old fashioned ice cream in it.  (It was really just a fancy banana split.)

What ship?  My hubby asked in February and was told that they only had vanilla gelato.

On 3/8/2022 at 4:58 PM, cruzsnooze said:

NCL is debuting a new concept whereby the main dining room menu will be the same. They give multiple reasons why this is a benefit but I'm not so sure. It is a money saver no doubt. On a longer cruise I think I wouldn't like it but on a week or 10 days perhaps it would be okay. 

My thought is that if something goes over with an effective cost costing measure on any mass market cruise line the others will follow which would include Princess.  Any thoughts about this kind of change?

Norwegian Cruise Line on Tuesday will announce that the main included-in-the-fare restaurant on its soon-to-debut Norwegian Prima won’t offer a 14-day rotation of changing menus, as is typical for main dining rooms on cruise ships. Instead, it’ll offer a fixed menu of dishes that stays the same from night to night. 

Boring and unacceptable.