It's all good on board the Splendor!

boblerm

I plan on writing a detailed trip report /review after the cruise, but I just wanted to post some initial thoughts and observations.

We stayed 1 night pre cruise (on our own, not part of package) in the Miami InterContinental, and like it very much. As a bonus, we woke up on Monday morning to this sight 

20220307_063920.jpg.6387983a4ec9b84a43d1ab73cda96167.jpg

20220307_063930-01.jpg.e67388ddc26f909a842b4ee511db8210.jpg

We arrived at the pier at 11:40. We were directed to the testing tent, there was a line there that was not too long, but moved very slowly. At the station, they documented our test result (taken 2 days prior), and Vax cards, and we filled out some forms. We were then presented with a gold badge and red wristband. The process took about 40 minutes. When we finished at 12:20, the line was much longer.

From there we went to the cruise terminal, where the normal boarding process was done, and moved fairly quickly. 

No muster drill. You just check in at your muster station and verify that you watched the safety video. 

The passenger count is 530.

What can be better than a sail away party on deck with Kasia and Boogie? 

20220307_165811-01.jpeg.c8bdb1d28ca98b27ad33887a3d98b1e2.jpeg

20220307_165735-01.thumb.jpeg.d05dd1fda23fdbe6e51e28141fae0f0c.jpeg

20220307_165717-01.jpeg.243bcf32dd069dd0c842d3874067b631.jpeg

20220307_165727-01.thumb.jpeg.40d56429eb580d26ceb8e8b317cc9cc3.jpeg

20220307_174132-01.jpeg.e4fb1bb1ac1766032ff0681f8c7ef6f6.jpeg

It's been 4 years since we have cruised with Kasia and Boogie, and I think that they are better than ever. At their late set, it is not like just listening to lounge performers, it is more like going to a show. The lounge was pretty much packed and the dance floor full- unusual on a luxury cruise in my experience.  Kasia just owns the room, and lights it up with her personality, she keeps everyone engaged. . Boogie is a true artist who clearly loves his craft. 

Cuisine, service, entertainment is, so far, as good as ever. 

Another thing that I find a little atypical about this cruise is that I often find that the production shows are not nearly as well attended as I would expect, you can usually walk in at the last minute and get decent seats. Not so here. Last night's show, Divos & Divas played to a relatively packed house, on a ship that is only about 2/3 full (don’t hold me to the math). I thought that the show was great, and judging by audience reaction, I was not alone.

Little or no mask wearing among passengers. Crew is still masked. 

The internet, so far, has not been too hideously slow! (this constitutes a rave review on a cruise ship) 

Is everything perfect? Certainly not! On my last Regent cruise 2 1/2 years ago, I thought that the pretzels in the lounges were not very crisp, a little on the soggy side, and that's still the case! Oh, the agony! 😉

It is hard to describe how wonderful it feels to be on board this magnificent ship

20220307_124646-02.jpeg.0a14359993ef30f6907e758e6ade4dbe.jpeg

Bob

• Like 17

As I mentioned, I will be posting more detailed information about meals, excursions, shows, etc. along with pictures, when the cruise is over.  In the meantime, I will post some random thoughts here and there, and would be happy to try and answer questions.

If any of my fellow CC members are on board , it would be great if you chime in with your thoughts and experiences!

Welcome back. Got off the Explorer on 3/4 - a great cruise after two years sea-side. On the Explorer, I promptly booked the Splendor TA in 3/2023. Have a great cruise.

p.s.: I noticed "children" in the pool photo background. Are they subject to the vaccination requirements?

• Like 1

Thank you very much for taking us all along on your journey. We will be joining Splendor April 5 so are eagerly awaiting your reports. If you don't mind could you post the daily passages and dining menus during your cruise ?, if you have time of course. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, crispy46 said:

Boblerm,

Are you comfortable saying where you are from in "New England?" We are from the Portland Maine area.

Crispy46

@crispy46 I'm going to guess that your South Carolina address is coastal...which would be a great getaway from Portland in the winter!  🙂

Personally, I'm way more concerned by the mere fact that a child is onboard, rather than their vax status. Love my kids, who are now amazing adults, but not too keen on vacationing with other peoples' little kids😜

• Like 5

7 hours ago, islandchick said:

Thank you very much for taking us all along on your journey. We will be joining Splendor April 5 so are eagerly awaiting your reports. If you don't mind could you post the daily passages and dining menus during your cruise ?, if you have time of course. 

Hi islandchick, I would be happy to post this info, but it will have to wait until I get home, should have it for you in plenty of time for your cruise!

To those who asked about the children, the lovely, very well behaved young lady seen in the picture and her sister are the only children that I have seen on board.

I am not aware of anything to indicate that Regent policy exempts children from the vax requirement.

3 hours ago, cindyah88 said:

Personally, I'm way more concerned by the mere fact that a child is onboard, rather than their vax status. Love my kids, who are now amazing adults, but not too keen on vacationing with other peoples' little kids😜

Well, Regent does allow children, so I'm afraid that you will just have to take your chances.  I would suggest avoid cruising during the summer or school vacations. 

FWIW, in my experience, children sailing on luxury lines have been few in number and generally well behaved, I cannot recall being disturbed by sailing with children on Regent or Crystal. Clearly, YMMV.

As far as I know, Viking is the only line that does not allow children.

Edited by boblerm
  • Like 6

Good Evening boblerm

Nice to see someone from Cruise Critic is aboard.

We are Pat(SnoBirdCruiser)  and Ray and we are on until March 24th.

Is there a meet and greet?

I haven't signed up for one.

perhaps we can meet for a drink at one of the bars....We are also at the pool everyday,at least we hope to be). The ship is the destination for us.

Cheers,Pat

We’re not cruising yet but have a few booked—-but I agree the ship is the destination for us—it’s the best part of the trip.  We only get off occasionally if we really want to see something or for a short walk round town.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, cindyah88 said:

Viking does not allow passengers under 18...Regent welcomes them.

This is the third time I have had to post here, and it won’t post. So here goes again for the final time.CC needs to fix this.

We have been on numerous Regent cruises, and children were onboard. No problem at all. But we aren’t going to book any cruise when ALL guests aren’t required to be fully vaccinated — regardless of age. We know that the risks of Omicron breakthrough are too great — even for those of us who have had two vacs, plus a booster, plus mask wearing, plus crowd avoidance. We did all that and still had Omicron breakthrough in early January. No worse than a common cold, but we were at home. We didn’t have to face look down or being sent home at our own expense. So we want to insure that Regent is requiring full vaccination documents for ALL, before we consider booking.