How long ago did you disembark from your last cruise?

I've been a bit down and frustrated today, it is two years ago today, 11th March 2020, that I returned to Sydney off the Carnival Splendor. I remember hearing about a virus on the last couple of days of the cruise, most of the reports were about toilet paper being sold out and we were wondering just what kind of virus it was!

If you had told me then that we would still have no timeline for being able to cruise again by now I would have laughed at you, yet here we are!

• Like 2

We last disembarked in Amsterdam, in September 2019, after a cruise on Holland America from Amsterdam to St Petersburg and return, with most Baltic capitals between.

Fantastic cruise, and the Russian component was unbelievable, with the Russians we met  being helpful, friendly and honest.

Three months later the world changed, and now, two and a half years later, we have the horror of the Ukrainian invasion.

I despair.

• Like 2

We last disembarked Carnival Spirit in Sydney on 16th March 2020 - her last cruise. We were supposed to holiday for 10 days around Newcastle, then reboard Spirit for her trans pacific cruise to Hawaii. I had been following events closely and was extremely relieved when we were advised on 14th March that the trans pacific cruise was cancelled.  

After many more cancelled cruises, I am so ready to cruise again and hope that the ban is now lifted.

• Like 3

23rd Nov 2019  Explorer , Sydney / NZ / Syd. After the Covid hit I said we won't be cruising again, It did not take long before we missed cruising so much and we decided to get our priorities right. If we are are going to die we will die happy while cruising. Since then we are of the opinion we would be just as safe if not safer on a cruise than going into supermarkets with people fighting over toilet rolls. I doubt very much that cruise lines will be short of toilet rolls so way to go. Ha ha.

Two years and three months ago we disembarked from a quick South Pacific cruise on Ruby Princess.

The day we embarked the bush fire smoke was thick over Sydney  Harbour. We were so glad to get away from the smoke for a few days. On our return I had to find some masks to wear when shopping outdoors as the smoke was affecting me quite badly. Little did I know then that masks would become a regular part of our lives.

14 hours ago, LincolnLegend said:

I've been a bit down and frustrated today, it is two years ago today, 11th March 2020, that I returned to Sydney off the Carnival Splendor. I remember hearing about a virus on the last couple of days of the cruise, most of the reports were about toilet paper being sold out and we were wondering just what kind of virus it was!

If you had told me then that we would still have no timeline for being able to cruise again by now I would have laughed at you, yet here we are!

We disembarked from the Sea Princess two years and four days ago - 8th March, 2020 after a cruise to NZ.

The cruise started on 23rd February and from 'day one' we received written notices in the cabin every day regarding COVID and the changing restrictions. There were also announcements on the subject and advice that consultations at the medical centre for flu-like symptoms, would be free of charge. When we disembarked, I was sure that the world cruise scheduled for a few months later, would not go ahead. We were told to expect delays in disembarkation because of requirements of the Health Dept, but disembarkation went ahead as usual.

I see that your cruise was around the same time as ours. I am surprised there weren't notices issued to pax on your cruise about COVID.

2 hours ago, JohnGc said:

23rd Nov 2019  Explorer , Sydney / NZ / Syd. After the Covid hit I said we won't be cruising again, It did not take long before we missed cruising so much and we decided to get our priorities right. If we are are going to die we will die happy while cruising. Since then we are of the opinion we would be just as safe if not safer on a cruise than going into supermarkets with people fighting over toilet rolls. I doubt very much that cruise lines will be short of toilet rolls so way to go. Ha ha.

Plenty of toilet rolls on the ships, they have not used much in the past 2 years, lol

1496808827_th(3).jpg.a72fbfc50d29a6efa168c732074b1d89.jpg

August 2019, Silversea Arctic cruise Tromso to Reykjavik.

Last overseas flight was January 3rd, 2020 from Hong Kong, after spending a month in Europe for a white Christmas.

I returned to work, and later had the big boss come and ask for proof of date that we flew back to Oz, anyone that had been in China or HK were asked to leave work immediately!

Edited by gogo65

2 hours ago, NSWP said:

Plenty of toilet rolls on the ships, they have not used much in the past 2 years, lol

1496808827_th(3).jpg.a72fbfc50d29a6efa168c732074b1d89.jpg

What a lovely sight . Good one. If they have that many they might offer them to encourage sales instead of O.B.C. he he.

in October 2019 we did a 14 night round trip to Fiji on the Majestic Princess from Sydney there were a few passengers from Geelong on board including one of the guest entertainers Andy Pobjoy who we knew,  I am grateful  it was one of the happiest cruises we have done.

We had booked two cruises in 2020 one a QLD coastal from Sydney on the Sun Princess which was cancelled about 2 weeks from sailing and another on the Sapphire the southern explorer from Fremantle to Sydney which didn't get past the deposit stage.

Sadly our cruising days are over although I'm keen to do a short trip over to the Apple Isle when the SPOT is based in Geelong perhaps in 2023.

Edited by ozziepost

14th March 2020 disembarked from Carnival Spirit in Melbourne so that is 2 days shy of 2 years.  Ugh  How can we have such a dumb government?  They treat us like idiots or kindergarten children.  They are only interested in winning the election.

Edited by Ondine
  • Like 1

I found myself jeering out loud at the TV tonight while watching the news and listening to Scomo earnestly stating that we have to start treating covid like a common cold and saying that all restrictions should be removed within weeks!

37 minutes ago, LincolnLegend said:

I found myself jeering out loud at the TV tonight while watching the news and listening to Scomo earnestly stating that we have to start treating covid like a common cold and saying that all restrictions should be removed within weeks!

Why would you jeer if he was saying that all restrictions would be removed  within weeks? 🤔🤔🤔🤔

27 minutes ago, qbay46 said:

Last cruise was on Celebrity Solstice, her last cruise, 20th March 2020, back in Sydney from NZ

That was the last day that I worked at the OPT so technically my last debark/cruise.