Pick-pocket proof purse

Riverroad

We’re traveling to Spain next month. I’ve heard the pick-pockets are terrible in both Madrid and Barcelona. What do people recommend for a small purse that will foil pick-pockets or should I forget the purse? What do you all do?

I had my handbag (purse) pick pocketed outside the sargada familgia in Barcelona lost 150 euros 😢

After that i bought this 

prefer a cross body bag by Travelon 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Travelon-Anti-Theft-Classic-Crossbody-Black/dp/B01EAFEEN4/ref=sr_1_15?keywords=Travelon%2BCrossbody%2BBag&qid=1646735866&sr=8-15&th=1

Does what it says on the tin. You can buy it on Amaxon.com too in dollars. hth.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, 2BACRUISER said:

I had my handbag (purse) pick pocketed outside the sargada familgia in Barcelona lost 150 euros 😢

After that i bought this 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Travelon-Anti-Theft-Classic-Crossbody-Black/dp/B01EAFEEN4/ref=sr_1_15?keywords=Travelon%2BCrossbody%2BBag&qid=1646735866&sr=8-15&th=1

Thank you. I’ll look at that one.

Barcelona, Paris and Rome are the worst PP cities. My BF got attacked by 3 teens in BCN. Luckily he had most of his $$ in a moneybelt under his slacks. But they got his wallet.                                                         I use Eagle Creek money belts tucked under my undies with zipper facing inside. I have had guys put their hands in my jeans pockets  front and back with no luck in Paris. They cannot get at my moneybelt.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Similar to the above, I use a "money pocket" that I pin inside my pants (since I rarely wear dresses when sightseeing, this works for me). 

I'm not sure that you can outwit a determined pickpocket with any kind of purse or bag. Backpacks are easy prey. I've even read on here of people getting pickpocketed from front pockets of jeans and buttoned exterior pockets. 

If it's valuable, keep it close -- preferably under at least one layer of clothing.

And some further food for thought regarding purses -- there are pickpockets in some European cities (primarily Naples but also others, even in London) on scooters, called scippatori, who will drive by and grab the strap of your purse. The smart thing is to just let go. Injuries have been sustained when tourists get dragged.  And no special purse can stop that from happening.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have been to Barcelona and Rome and maybe I just got lucky but I never had any issues.  I did wear something like this under my shirt so I never carried any kind of purse or crossbody bag (which is my normal type for walking around Europe)

https://www.rei.com/product/129767/rei-co-op-rfid-neck-wallet

Never wear or carry your bag on the street side of your body.   Learned that a long time ago.   

I attempt to use a bag that doesn't look like a "tourist bag" - those PacSafe and others.   The past 10 years I've carried various bags by Sherpani.  It'll be the same this year.  Some of their newer bags have some anti-theft measures, but only one of mine does.  I didn't buy it for that, but because it was cute - it's my year-round bag at home.   I don't carry all my credit cards with me when I'm out and about - take one AMEX and one VISA and leave the rest in the safe in the room.  I don't have more than 100EU on me at a time.   Oh, I have been to Barcelona, Paris, Rome, Munich, Venice and many more.   Lois - we're lucky, I guess.  

• Like 1

Can I ask about money belts/pouches (sorry OP for piggybacking onto your post); those of you that use them, do you keep your actual money and credit cards in them? What do you do when you want to buy something? I wasn't sure the best way to dig out my stuff.

Edited by ams1130

20 hours ago, 57redbird said:

Kat -- if you're still looking for a Faherty dress, check eBay.  I just got a NWT one for $45 + shipping.

There was only the orange stripe color and nothing in L or XL.

Thanks for the heads up, though.  I'll keep hunting there!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ams1130 said:

Can I ask about money belts/pouches (sorry OP for piggybacking onto your post); those of you that use them, do you keep your actual money and credit cards in them? What do you do when you want to buy something? I wasn't sure the best way to dig out my stuff.

I use a neck pouch - hangs around my neck like a necklace but goes underneath whatever clothes I'm wearing.  When it's time to buy something, I pull it out from under my clothes and take out the card or the cash.  Both my husband and I do, however, keep a small amount of cash in buttoned pockets for small purchases - a coffee, and ice cream, a piece of handmade street art, etc.  Not so much that we'd be upset if we lost it.  In Rome, in particular, we've encountered some pretty aggressive pickpocketers.  We haven't lost anything yet, but we've had to physically push them away a couple of times outside the Forum in the evening and outside the Coliseum at mid-day.

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, ams1130 said:

I use a pocket that looks like this:  https://www.amazon.com/Eagle-Creek-Travel-Undercover-Hidden/dp/B0054IH9IE/ref=asc_df_B0054IH9IE/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=198055385495&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=613930410976357725&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9010770&hvtargid=pla-336872615006&th=1

If I am in a store and want to buy something or need my ID for some reason, I can pretty quickly and unobtrusively pull my waistband out a bit and flip out the "pocket" then get the item needed. Generally when you're in a store there is not a reason to worry about pickpockets. They are more likely to strike when you are distracted and are in a crowded situation such as getting on or off public transportation (bus, metro, train) or walking along a packed sidewalk, or doing something like taking photos at a crowded site (e.g., Trevi Fountain or the like....)

Sometimes on a travel day or if I think I will need easier access to the contents, I will put the valuables in the pouch, then stash it in an INSIDE zipped pocket in my purse and I will actually pin it to the lining. I figure there is little chance someone would be able to get through two different zippers and unpin two pins to get it out without me noticing!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, ams1130 said:

I do pretty much the same as cruisemom. I’ve also stepped into a fitting room or restroom. I do keep a few dollars (under $20) in a zippered pants or jacket pocket. Do not wear good jewelry!!

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, awhfy said:

I do pretty much the same as cruisemom. I’ve also stepped into a fitting room or restroom. I do keep a few dollars (under $20) in a zippered pants or jacket pocket. Do not wear good jewelry!!

Plus one on the "do not wear good jewelry"!  I don't even take any of my jewelry with me on our cruises, not even my wedding ring.  I might occasionally pack an inexpensive necklace to wear in the evening, but nothing I'd mind losing.

• Like 2

On 3/17/2022 at 1:30 PM, ams1130 said:

Thank you, aungrl; our international travel hasn't been to any of the places known for aggressive pickpocketing, and it freaks me out a bit!

Whatever you use - try it out at home and wear it for a day or so - I see so many tourists carrying their currency and passports in visible money belts - or even belts in their bags!  I can't wear anything hanging around my neck - it makes my neck hurt - it rubs my boobs and its usually really visible unless you are a in cold climate wearing a puffy jacket. 

I use something like this Amazon.com | Zero Grid Hidden Bra Wallet - Travel Pouch & Secret Pocket for Passport, Money & Valuables - Undercover Bra Stash Fits All Bra Sizes | Travel Wallets - attached under my arm my connecting it to my bra.  - it hangs free so is not hot and sweaty like a waist belt. It  also doesn't bend the items in it - I've worn it for weeks at a time and not damaged my passport (put it in a ziplock to stop it getting damp). 

I also wear clothes with secured , invisible pockets - thats for anything I'll need on the day - the days cash or card - a passport only on the days I need it 

Edited by lissie
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 3/15/2022 at 1:24 PM, Lois R said:

.  I did wear something like this under my shirt so I never carried any kind of purse or crossbody bag (which is my normal type for walking around Europe)

https://www.rei.com/product/129767/rei-co-op-rfid-neck-wallet

We've used these for decades around the world.  We started of course long before Cell phones.

We fondly call them our 'Dolly Partons'

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/14/2022 at 2:38 AM, 2BACRUISER said:

After that i bought this 

I used one like this for 5 weeks in Italy prepandemic -  It has so many features that just work to keep from being stolen.  You can't slice the strap, the clips on the zippers, etc

• Like 1

If you want something that looks a tad more stylish, look at the Sherpani crossbody bags.   Looks like most are sold out already.  But a bunch of them have similar details - cutproof straps, zipper clips, a little cable to lock it up at a table/bar, anti-slash bottom, RFID.  I have a Prima AT as my "evening bag" when I just need wallet, glasses, keys, phone.  It's a nice size.  There is a bigger one available still, the Geo.  But it may be a size you want.