Cruise ship runs aground during Caribbean voyage

HamOp

On 3/16/2022 at 1:34 PM, HamOp said:

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/norwegian-escape-cruise-runs-aground/index.html

Norwegian Escape, a 2015-built megaship which can accommodate over 4,000 passengers, hit the seabed as it pulled away from Puerto Plata in the Dominican Republic on Monday, damaging the ship's hull.

4000 pax, indulging in fine cuisine…..

• Haha 2

On 3/16/2022 at 1:58 PM, 1ANGELCAT said:

According to NCL board , remainder of the cruise was cancelled and the next voyage also cancelled. The pax will be flown home.

The Dominican Republic is not allowing those passengers without passports to debark the ship to fly home.

Reported on Jacksonville channel 4 news.

A good reason to have a passport, even if not required.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, Shmoo here said:

The Dominican Republic is not allowing those passengers without passports to debark the ship to fly home.

Exactly why I always bring a passport on all international travel. I have seen too many horror stories of people stuck in a far off place unable to leave in the middle of a medical emergency because they did not have their passport. Things can and do go wrong when traveling. Hopefully they all get sorted out and on their way. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Shmoo here said:

Will the Dominican Republic allow them to leave by means other than flying? Why can't the US embassy in the Dominican Republic issue them temporary passports?

9 hours ago, ontheweb said:

Will the Dominican Republic allow them to leave by means other than flying? Why can't the US embassy in the Dominican Republic issue them temporary passports?

Well, they can.  But it takes time.  It's not like you can just walk in and walk right out with a passport.

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Shmoo here said:

Well, they can.  But it takes time.  It's not like you can just walk in and walk right out with a passport.

Absolutely correct. And how many on board might need the assistance? I suspect the number might be in the hundreds.

Next concern...is NCL chartering planes, or trying to work thousands of pax on the current available seats. That will take a good while as well.

19 minutes ago, MISTER 67 said:

So who gets the blame, the Captain or the Pilot?

The short answer is the Captain.  But that said, I do not know the circumstances of what happened because that's a very short article.  There are scenarios where the Captain shouldn't be held at fault.  Sand bars do shift and can be uncharted.  Markers do go off station.  At this point, we just don't know enough about it.

35 minutes ago, Aquahound said:

The short answer is the Captain.  But that said, I do not know the circumstances of what happened because that's a very short article.  There are scenarios where the Captain shouldn't be held at fault.  Sand bars do shift and can be uncharted.  Markers do go off station.  At this point, we just don't know enough about it.

and is this a new docking area?

I am wondering why so narrow and will other ships have issues too down the road.

Poor captain should not always be the fall guy.

1 hour ago, MISTER 67 said:

So who gets the blame, the Captain or the Pilot?

37 minutes ago, Aquahound said:

1 minute ago, Oceansaway17 said:

I am wondering why so narrow and will other ships have issues too down the road.

There is a difference between "blame" and "responsibility".  The Captain is always "responsible" for whatever happens to the ship, regardless of who "has the conn" (is the person giving maneuvering orders).  However, the maritime industry has adopted the ISM (International Safety Management) system, which strives to not place blame for an incident, but instead look to find the root cause of the incident, and find ways to prevent it happening again.  The philosophy is that if people are not going to be "punished" for an incident, then you are far more likely to get truthful statements from them regarding how the incident occurred, and therefore a better picture of the actual root causes.  The ISM requires each shipping company to write a manual that lists how the company expects both the corporate entity and its employees to perform nearly every facet of company operations, in detail, with checklists and specified procedures.  If the Captain in this instance is found to have followed all company ISM procedures and protocols, but the incident still happened, he is responsible for the incident, but will not be blamed for it.  The incident will trigger a review of the company's policies regarding restricted maneuvering, bridge team management, Master/pilot exchange procedures, and various other navigation procedures, and if found to be lacking, these policies and procedures will be changed in order to prevent it happening again.  In the maritime industry, a "blame" culture is considered to be antiquated, and the progressive "root cause analysis" culture and system of management is found to be far more beneficial.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 6

11 minutes ago, Oceansaway17 said:

Its narrow because the DR does not have the money to dredge a wider channel.  Any time a ship maneuvers in a narrow, and likely shallow, channel, "canal effect" can happen, as it did here, and while Captains and pilots will be aware of the problem, a wind gust can change everything in a hearbeat.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, chengkp75 said:

There is a difference between "blame" and "responsibility".  The Captain is always "responsible" for whatever happens to the ship, regardless of who "has the conn" (is the person giving maneuvering orders).  However, the maritime industry has adopted the ISM (International Safety Management) system, which strives to not place blame for an incident, but instead look to find the root cause of the incident, and find ways to prevent it happening again.  The philosophy is that if people are not going to be "punished" for an incident, then you are far more likely to get truthful statements from them regarding how the incident occurred, and therefore a better picture of the actual root causes.  The ISM requires each shipping company to write a manual that lists how the company expects both the corporate entity and its employees to perform nearly every facet of company operations, in detail, with checklists and specified procedures.  If the Captain in this instance is found to have followed all company ISM procedures and protocols, but the incident still happened, he is responsible for the incident, but will not be blamed for it.  The incident will trigger a review of the company's policies regarding restricted maneuvering, bridge team management, Master/pilot exchange procedures, and various other navigation procedures, and if found to be lacking, these policies and procedures will be changed in order to prevent it happening again.  In the maritime industry, a "blame" culture is considered to be antiquated, and the progressive "root cause analysis" culture and system of management is found to be far more beneficial.

thanks for your reply and it makes sense they try hard not to do the blame game.

Now about this place where the ship ran aground, do you think it will happen again?

Is the port at fault for not dredging deeper or making it wider?

Just now, chengkp75 said:

Its narrow because the DR does not have the money to dredge a wider channel.  Any time a ship maneuvers in a narrow, and likely shallow, channel, "canal effect" can happen, as it did here, and while Captains and pilots will be aware of the problem, a wind gust can change everything in a hearbeat.

our comments passed at the same time.  like ships in the night

7 minutes ago, Oceansaway17 said:

thanks for your reply and it makes sense they try hard not to do the blame game.

Now about this place where the ship ran aground, do you think it will happen again?

Is the port at fault for not dredging deeper or making it wider?

Having said what I did about the ISM, if it is found that the Captain did not follow all ISM procedures, then he/she is in trouble.  And, from my years of experience with the ISM, the most common "root cause" of incidents is "permanent crew, failure to follow procedures".

1 minute ago, chengkp75 said:

Having said what I did about the ISM, if it is found that the Captain did not follow all ISM procedures, then he/she is in trouble.  And, from my years of experience with the ISM, the most common "root cause" of incidents is "permanent crew, failure to follow procedures".

and from what I know about bridge officers they try to discuss issues and or sign off on plans.

Now I know why most captains are only on for 10 weeks or 11 as this is stressful at times.

Hoping the port fixes things so another ship doesn't have this issue.  I have heard wind was an issue.

Perhaps ships will go back to Amber Cove.

2 minutes ago, Oceansaway17 said:

and from what I know about bridge officers they try to discuss issues and or sign off on plans.

Now I know why most captains are only on for 10 weeks or 11 as this is stressful at times.

Hoping the port fixes things so another ship doesn't have this issue.  I have heard wind was an issue.

Perhaps ships will go back to Amber Cove.

Most of the deck and engine officers are on the same rotation.  It has been found that after 90 days, the incidence of mistakes and accidents starts to increase exponentially, so the lines will rotate out the officers before then.  Before the ship leaves the dock, every time, there is a bridge resource management meeting of the Captain and all bridge officers, to discuss the passage plan (all aspects from letting the lines go to tying up again), and note any special circumstances.  Then, before entering port, there will be another bridge resource meeting.  There are checklists of what needs to be included in passage plans, topics to be discussed at the bridge meetings, and specifics of the Master/pilot exchange.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Most of the deck and engine officers are on the same rotation.  It has been found that after 90 days, the incidence of mistakes and accidents starts to increase exponentially, so the lines will rotate out the officers before then.  Before the ship leaves the dock, every time, there is a bridge resource management meeting of the Captain and all bridge officers, to discuss the passage plan (all aspects from letting the lines go to tying up again), and note any special circumstances.  Then, before entering port, there will be another bridge resource meeting.  There are checklists of what needs to be included in passage plans, topics to be discussed at the bridge meetings, and specifics of the Master/pilot exchange.

if only gov't could work together like bridge teams do.

You are so full of wonderful knowledge, you should write a book.  thanks.

I know we have tangled at bit over a topic or two, but overall I learn from you and respect your knowledge.

I find ships and trains the most interesting.

Isn't this EXACTLY the reason we have the ports PILOTS come onboard? that They take over the navigating the narrow passages etc.   They are suppose to be able to navigate THEIR waters accurately.  Sorry for all concerned but very surprised this happened at all.

43 minutes ago, VacationCharlene said:

Isn't this EXACTLY the reason we have the ports PILOTS come onboard? that They take over the navigating the narrow passages etc.   They are suppose to be able to navigate THEIR waters accurately.  Sorry for all concerned but very surprised this happened at all.

Ever have an auto accident within 5 miles of your house?  Unforeseen circumstances can cause unforeseen consequences.

• Like 3