Throw out the tux, give me luxury without the formality

cruiseny4life

12 hours ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

I'm reminded of a Winston Churchhill story.  

Churchill: Madam, would you sleep with me for five million pounds?
Socialite: My goodness, Mr. Churchill… Well, I suppose… we would have to discuss terms, of course…
Churchill: Would you sleep with me for five pounds?
Socialite: Mr. Churchill, what kind of woman do you think I am?!
Churchill: Madam, we’ve already established that. Now we are haggling about the price.

Now you're just haggling about where the dress code line goes.

Again, I dont disagree.

But the idea that someone has a say over whether someone is elegant enough i find bizarre.

Just be clean and smell clean. If thats a dress code then I accept its a dress code.

Common decency is how i would describe it.

Give me a couple clean and smelling clean than a pompous couple dressed to the nines that are grossly overweight and sweating like Prince Andrew. 

Who wants to look at someones legs that look like they are set of Pool balls in a sock? Man or woman.

Its all relevant right? One persons drink is anothers poison.

Just be clean.

On 6/2/2022 at 8:07 AM, cruiseny4life said:

THIS!!!!!!!

This is exactly why I asked the original question. I wanted to find a luxury cruise line where I could dress in shorts and a t-shirt, and wear my flip flops. I didn't want to be "that guy" who looks completely out of place - honestly a little out of place is ok with me...but if everyone else is dressed in khakis and a button down, then I don't want to stumble in, iced tea in hand looking like a vacationing bum! 

I'll follow the rules of the cruise line. I wanted to find out from fellow travelers if I could wear shorts and a polo/clean t-shirt into the MDR of Regent, Seabourn, etc...in the process I've learned I cannot. No shade to those lines or individuals who choose that lifestyle. It's not me.

I've decided the best option for my husband and I is Norwegian's Haven. We can stay in the Haven area the entire cruise or venture out for activities and more food choices. We can go to the Haven Restaurant and look perfectly normal in our shorts, t-shirt, and flip flops. No one will bat an eye. 

To each their own - if it's a formal cruise you want, enjoy! Heck, if Cunard asked me to join their ship in Queen Mary's Grill at no charge, I'll say absolutely and don that tuxedo every evening! I know how to gussy it up - I just don't really want to when I'm paying more than $10,000 for a vacation. 

@iancal - thank you for summing up the entire intent of my post in four sentences! I truly appreciate it. 

Unfortunately, you are going to be judged no matter where you are. More people are judged than they know. 

Fortunately, on mass-market cruises, you will find a smaller percentage of the passengers care about shorts and flip flops at dinner. Looks like you are fine where you are at on the Haven.

• Like 1

Yes, it looks like cut-offs are back.  I've searching for a new pair of jeans shorts and it seems like 90% of the ones I find are not finished hems but just the cut-off look.   They look nice from the waist all the way down to the bottom, but those unfinished, frayed hems kill me.   

I think it's a bit of clothing discrimination when women can wear sandals at night but men cannot.   

Just now, slidergirl said:

I think it's a bit of clothing discrimination when women can wear sandals at night but men cannot.   

That's right!  And T-shirts that don't have sequins.  😆

I never understood why sandals are OK but flip flops are a no-no.  Isn't it a fine line from when a flip flop becomes a sandal?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ldubs said:

That's right!  And T-shirts that don't have sequins.  😆

I never understood why sandals are OK but flip flops are a no-no.  Isn't it a fine line from when a flip flop becomes a sandal?

Men need to smarten up and put glitter on their sandals for night time wear and maybe add an ankle bracelet. Make it classy !

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, DarrenM said:

Again, I dont disagree.

But the idea that someone has a say over whether someone is elegant enough i find bizarre.

Just be clean and smell clean. If thats a dress code then I accept its a dress code.

Common decency is how i would describe it.

Give me a couple clean and smelling clean than a pompous couple dressed to the nines that are grossly overweight and sweating like Prince Andrew. 

Who wants to look at someones legs that look like they are set of Pool balls in a sock? Man or woman.

Its all relevant right? One persons drink is anothers poison.

Just be clean.

Hey, it's my vacation, and if I want to come to dinner straight from a workout while I am sweaty and stinky in dirty clothes who are YOU to say I can't.

2 minutes ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

Hey, it's my vacation, and if I want to come to dinner straight from a workout while I am sweaty and stinky in dirty clothes who are YOU to say I can't.

The crew sure can...but eh, come as you are. I don't really care. It's not going to impact my enjoyment. 

• Like 1

My navy cotton shorts are faded.  Four or five winters on beaches in SE Asia and Australia have robbed them of some of their color.  Do I care?  No.

But both pairs are so comfortable  and I hate shopping. They are on duty now in Portugal and may make it on a last minute Med cruise in Oct if we snag one while on our land travels.

Some people need to relax, chill out, accept others as they find them rather than judging them.  And get on with focusing on their own enjoyment and their own business instead of being aged busybodies.

Edited by iancal
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

Can we have a few ‘post work-out, sweaty & stinky table ‘

I would love it !

8 hours ago, slidergirl said:

Yes, it looks like cut-offs are back.  I've searching for a new pair of jeans shorts and it seems like 90% of the ones I find are not finished hems but just the cut-off look.   They look nice from the waist all the way down to the bottom, but those unfinished, frayed hems kill me.   

Huh?  My husband often wears sandals to the MDR.  With foot problems, he either wears sandals or walking shoes.  Yes, even on formal night.  Of course, we don't really dress formally anymore, just a little nicer than other nights.

8 hours ago, slidergirl said:

I don't care if men wear sandals as long as their feet are appropriately manicured. Looking at feet (on men OR women) with long yellow toenails, cracked heels, bunions, hairy feet etc. is gross and is one of the few things that can literally make me feel nauseous. (The other one is watching eye surgery --- eeeeeshhhh.)

Also -- speaking of discrimination. Men go topless at the pool... 🤣

Edited by cruisemom42
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

I don't care if men wear sandals as long as their feet are appropriately manicured. Looking at feet (on men OR women) with long yellow toenails, cracked heels, bunions, hairy feet etc. is gross and is one of the few things that can literally make me feel nauseous. (The other one is watching eye surgery --- eeeeeshhhh.)

Also -- speaking of discrimination. Men go topless at the pool... 🤣

A man is rude and raised by wolves if he shows an ankle. Meanwhile, female elegant wear is susceptible for showing off many regions of the body that may be equally unappealing as your descriptors.

• Like 1

On 6/3/2022 at 8:53 PM, Toofarfromthesea said:

Lol

I wouldnt. 

I dont care what anyone else wears. Or smells like.

I am having too good a time on my cruise to care.

On 6/4/2022 at 2:35 AM, cruisemom42 said:

Men go topless at the pool... 

Some o the sights I saw on reflection suggets they shouldn't.

A lot of people have absolutely no self awareness whatsoever.

Put a shirt on man, was something I was shouting in my head, a lot. Tjey were like something from Ghostbusters.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 6/5/2022 at 12:47 PM, DarrenM said:

Lol

I wouldnt. 

I dont care what anyone else wears. Or smells like.

I am having too good a time on my cruise to care.

Yet you just said the exact opposite, and I quote: "Just be clean and smell clean. If thats a dress code then I accept its a dress code".

You see the trap, but can't avoid it.

Edited by Toofarfromthesea
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

Yet you just said the exact opposite, and I quote: "Just be clean and smell clean. If thats a dress code then I accept its a dress code".

You see the trap, but can't avoid it.

Actually it appears its you who have misunderstood.

Saying people should get washed and put on clean clothes isnt a dress code, its just common decency.

I know I stated my dress code would be get washed and wear clean clothes, but I was trying, badly obviously, to say I didnt want a dress code, juts a be clean code.

If people choose to ignore that then thats fine. I have no issue with it.

Like I said, I am having too good a time to care.

If you were on my table and had not been washed and was wearing flip flops etc as long as you were good company, had a wicked sense of humour, and understood mine, we would be fine, and would probably have a great laugh.

I really don't get all caught up whether someone is wearing jeans, shorts, tee, sweat pants, tux, suit, evening gown or a dress. I really don't care. But where do we draw the line with the phrase, "I'm on vacation I'll dress and look how I want." How about letting guys come into the restaurant with wearing nothing but a sock over their junk like the Red Hot Chili Peppers once did? Or how about letting women come in wearing pasties and a thong? (Or guys for that matter) There has to be a line drawn somewhere. I guess you are darned if you do and darned if you don't.

• Like 1

I would love to see the examples above, just so I can say I saw it.

Not sure I would like it, but the comedy effect would be hilarious.

Especially the faces of the ones in tuxedos and ball gowns.

Just sit back and watch the carnage 

Brilliant.

• Haha 2

On 6/7/2022 at 3:37 PM, lastchamp64 said:

I really don't get all caught up whether someone is wearing jeans, shorts, tee, sweat pants, tux, suit, evening gown or a dress. I really don't care. But where do we draw the line with the phrase, "I'm on vacation I'll dress and look how I want." How about letting guys come into the restaurant with wearing nothing but a sock over their junk like the Red Hot Chili Peppers once did? Or how about letting women come in wearing pasties and a thong? (Or guys for that matter) There has to be a line drawn somewhere. I guess you are darned if you do and darned if you don't.

The line is drawn wherever the cruise line operators decide to draw it. Your examples would be overdressing on a nudist cruise. The issue isn't that there is a dress code but that formal dress is, on most lines, a request but not a requirement. 

There may be some merit in those who wish a formal party of their own to hive off to another venue, perhaps one of the specialty restaurants, leaving the MDR to the majority of passengers who prefer not to drag formal wear along for one or two nights on a cruise. 

6 hours ago, K32682 said:

The line is drawn wherever the cruise line operators decide to draw it. Your examples would be overdressing on a nudist cruise. The issue isn't that there is a dress code but that formal dress is, on most lines, a request but not a requirement. 

There may be some merit in those who wish a formal party of their own to hive off to another venue, perhaps one of the specialty restaurants, leaving the MDR to the majority of passengers who prefer not to drag formal wear along for one or two nights on a cruise. 

We are already far beyond requiring or even suggesting formal wear.  Unless you think a pair of khaki trousers and a collared shirt constitutes formal wear.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

We are already far beyond requiring or even suggesting formal wear.  Unless you think a pair of khaki trousers and a collared shirt constitutes formal wear.

Agreed.

Every thread on clothing for dinnner has 3 things in common:

-People who don't care one way (or the other) what people think about what they wear

-People who like to dress casually thinking that people who like to really dress 'to the nines'  are snobbish or elitists

-People who dress 'to the nines' thinking that people who dress casually are snobbish or elitists.

3 minutes ago, Can I Cruise said:

Agreed.

Every thread on clothing for dinnner has 3 things in common:

-People who don't care one way (or the other) what people think about what they wear

-People who like to dress casually thinking that people who like to really dress 'to the nines'  are snobbish or elitists

-People who dress 'to the nines' thinking that people who dress casually are snobbish or elitists.

Picture

1 hour ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

Many cruise lines "suggest" better apparel on their "formal nights."  Princess for example

https://www.princess.com/learn/faq/pre-cruise/what-to-pack-for-a-cruise/

"Formal
When formal nights are held, please observe the dress code in the dining venues for the enjoyment of all our guests.

• Evening attire or cocktail dresses for women
  • Tuxedos, dinner jackets or dark suits with a tie for men"

• Like 1