The Daily for Friday 03/18/2022

richwmn

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Daily.

I hope to have no awkward moments today. A salute to Red Nose day and Preschool teachers.

Interesting quote.

As usual, I'll pass on fish. I'll pass on the drink and I can't afford the wine! 

I haven't been to today's destination. Thanks for the pictures @St Pete Cruiser @rafinmd

Another warm day here, 69F already. Rain tonight and tomorrow. The banging and clanging is going on outside as they are removing the brick layer from the alley. I found a flyer on the porch yesterday from the construction company saying they will be working 6A-6P until April 15. I called the borough to find out if I could park in front of my house (no parking 3A-5A without a permit), and they said they won't be ticketing during the construction work. It sounds like they'll be putting down asphalt; the brick had such character, but was a bear to maintain.

@lazey1 Thank you for telling us of Kakalena's passing. May she RIP. Her suffering is over.

@kazu Continued prayers for Jose, you and Marley.

@smitty34877 I'm glad to hear that Tana is responding to the new antibiotic; she deserves a break!

@cunnorl Good luck with the golf tournament!

@Heartgrove Prayers that your sister's treatments worked well.

@HAL Sailer I hope they get DH's issues settled and that he's back home soon.

@StLouisCruisers Good luck to DH with the implant process. I hope Jen and Buddy are making some slow progress.

@Vict0riann That is quite the harrowing tale your family went through when you were a child. You must have even more insight than the rest of us into what is happening with the Ukranian refugees.

Prayers for the Care List and Cheers for the Celebration List. Extra prayers for Ukraine, its' people and helpers, and for the World in these stressful times.

Stay well everyone.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 3

Good afternoon from the Pacific Ocean where there are a few swells and clear skies.  The Mariners recognition reception was this morning with a small group that included 3 members of the President's Club.  We had a nice chat with the Captain.  In fact, the officers have been friendlier the last two weeks than in our last few cruises.  I hope this is a new trend.

Like most of us, I've had some awkward moments that I want to forget, not celebrate.  I will glady celebrate Red Nose Day.  Thank you, @grapau27 Graham for the explanation of the day.  Pre-school teachers deserfe their day.  That is one job I could not do.

I like the quote. We'll pass on the meal and the drink.  The wine sounds nice, but not the price.

We have been to Cape Town twice, and I posted pictures the last time it was the port of the day.  I'll see if I can repost some of them.  @rafinmd Roy, thank you for your pictures from Robben Island and Nelson Mandela's cell.

According to the Captain next week's itinerary change was due to something involving Avalon, not Santa Barbara.  He didn't give us any more details.

@smitty34877  Terry, sending positive thoughts that the visiting nurse finds Tana much improved.

@cunnorl  Hope the weather cooperates and the golf tournament runs smoothly.

@Heartgrove  Sending good thoughts that the immunotherapy helps your sister.

@aliaschief  Bruce, that's great news you are both negative.

Lenda

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

@JazzyVit so happens I heard some news about Buddy a short time ago from twin sister.  Amy took Buddy to see his doctor today and then went to work.  She's been taking time off to do these things for him for several weeks now.  She's a school administrator and a former teacher.

Anyway, Buddy said his chest still feels tight but the doctor said it sounds good.  White blood count is up and he's been able to gain 3 pounds this past week (some of the time in the hospital).  And he's still very tired and weak.  But it sounds like a big improvement to me!

No news on Jen the past day or two.  I don't push too hard for news.  They can tell me when they want to.  I don't expect her to have any rapid improvement.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

@Quartzsite Cruiserwhen did we have Cape Town as our port of the day?  I didn't find another date on my spread sheet.  Maybe another port close by?

Thanks for all the photos shown so far though.  I'm not sure what we'll do when we go there but I'll wait until that time comes closer to figure something out.

• Like 13

Just now, StLouisCruisers said:

@Quartzsite Cruiserwhen did we have Cape Town as our port of the day?  I didn't find another date on my spread sheet.  Maybe another port close by?

Thanks for all the photos shown so far though.  I'm not sure what we'll do when we go there but I'll wait until that time comes closer to figure something out.

DH and I both thought we'd had Cape Town as a port, but seaching CC, which is never easy, but even harder on the tablet, I couldn't find it.  Now, I'll go through the pictures on the tablet to see what I can find

Thanks for keeping me on my toes.  😁

Lenda

• Like 10

10 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

DH and I both thought we'd had Cape Town as a port, but seaching CC, which is never easy, but even harder on the tablet, I couldn't find it.  Now, I'll go through the pictures on the tablet to see what I can find

Thanks for keeping me on my toes.  😁

Lenda

We did have Richards Bay, Durban and East London, South Africa.  I haven't been to any ports in South Africa yet so didn't know if one of them would be close enough to visit Cape Town.

• Like 9

Just now, StLouisCruisers said:

We did have Richards Bay, Durban and East London, South Africa.  I haven't been to any ports in South Africa yet so didn't know if one of them would be close enough to visit Cape Town.

I know Durban is on the east coast as were have been there.  Don't h9ld me to it, but I don't think the others are close.

Lenda

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, HAL4NOW said:

Maybe you could share a couple of her poems here.

I am sorry, I can not. If you are on facebook many of her poem are there under Tricia's Scribblings which I believe is open to anyone.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 6

We have been to Cape Town twice.  The first time was in 2000 on P&O Oriana world cruise.  A friend,  who we met on the ship, asked us to join them on a private tour.  The tour included a city driving tour, Table Mountain, Stellenbosch, a drive along the coast before returning to the ship to freshen up.  Our guide picked us up later and took us to the big shopping center in the Victoria and Alfred waterfront area where we were on our own for dinner.  After almost 3 months on a British ship, we wanted an American hamburger, so we went to the Hard Rock Cafe.

Views of Table Mountain and town from the ship.

785048906_P32006302.thumb.JPG.d5d38d9375abc01b69333399938fde0c.JPG

P3200633.thumb.JPG.fc9994e3a88b68c15966fd70f12be571.JPG

P3210634.thumb.JPG.b8e05de2224207d0d5679ac819f5fe9a.JPG

P3210635.thumb.JPG.982138d0a1f83f1bee6b9e72a81287a0.JPG

We drove by this statue.

P3210641.thumb.JPG.e3d14186c153dfcb083e17e1379d7d2a.JPG

Our first stop was Stellenbosch, a town outside Cape Town know for its wines.

P3210648.thumb.JPG.1dbc1314753863dcfc520fe4960e0b8d.JPG

P3210649.thumb.JPG.0c9683cdc16e5422ac9d9790c62fdd38.JPG

After our tour of a winery, each couple was given a wicker picnic basket with enough food for a small army, and each couple purchased a bottle of wine.  We had a lovely lunch in a park like setting.

P3210654.thumb.JPG.33e772afbf77df9bc05e95c08f95d26f.JPG

P3210655.thumb.JPG.33da3df91fe0811c07c3ee091bfba0b2.JPG

Our drive along the coast.

P3210665.thumb.JPG.df1bd993874433468dd153cadd144a23.JPGP3210669.thumb.JPG.d85bdd8147bba900c2c342b40b57694b.JPG

The last stop of the afternoon was Table Mountain.  Here are some views from the top.

P3210671.thumb.JPG.c96fe7c53a62aa784c1083d167131308.JPG

P3210674.thumb.JPG.3645de57a217691a7707c196a9344fac.JPG

One of the cable cars on display

P3210687.thumb.JPG.c2b35b602dab1258d92aee81ab9bb70f.JPG

I'll be back with pictures of our second visit.

BTW, Sandi, Port Elizabeth is between Cape Town and Durban.

Lenda

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 3

All went well with DH this morning...they said he would be there for two hours, and they set him free after one hour.  Got him home, fixed a breakfast for us, watched some F1, and then????  I took a nap.  with the rain, and the thunder and the lightening.  I could have slept all day, but figured, i should get up and drink more coffee, watch more tv, and then just go to bed.  LOL.  It's actually quite cold and damp today, a perfect day to be in.

I told the woman i dog walk for, that i wouldnt' be home until 2, so she took a half day, and got home about 10 minutes after we did.  Well, who knew.  They said two hours,  DH was talking about stopping for breakfast ( i already had what he wanted at home) so that saved time and money.

In regards to the meal, I thought it said aqua pizza.  Water bread. ??? Water pizza?? new diet.  

@dfish I actually got the DH to say yummy about the guiness beef stew, so i printed the recipe and it's on the menu for Sunday!

c7a3d2ded8658bb9748b14c821c645ea.jpg

• Like 17
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

@aliaschief  Bruce, that's great news you are both negative.

Lenda

Linda @Quartzsite I usually try to be a positive person but in this case I’ll take be labeled negative!😁 Not sure why so many folks get so stressed over getting the test. There are so many options and it has always been so easy for us.

That being said I disagree even more about 3 day in advance testing. Like right now Fort Lauderdale seems loaded with spring breakers and cruisers. IMO testing should be right before boarding.

Bruce

• Like 19

Good afternoon everyone and Happy Friday!  It’s been a couple of busy days for us. There is a new addition to DS & SO’s household. 

C6FC99FD-137B-480B-AD7A-9E2AE86EA8B6.thumb.jpeg.a3b4d5a11dfeb79a077c5cd164aba5cb.jpeg

They are so excited and came over this morning to introduce him to Blue. 

C1C0474F-5FBB-487E-9248-D71ADCF04CC3.thumb.jpeg.202ad86750c9258c7fedd67727208a78.jpeg

Edited by Sharon in AZ
Oops. Accidentally hit submit!
  • Like 22

I am sorry, I can not. If you are on facebook many of her poem are there under Tricia's Scribblings which I believe is open to anyone

I went to her page and her poems are lovely and rather haunting. Definitely worth a look. 

Karen

• Like 11

6 hours ago, lazey1 said:

FAREWELL TO KAKALENA

Our dear Kakalena passed quitely in her sleep yesterday with her son at her side. I promised her that I would let her Cruise Critic friends know when the time came.

For those of you who didn't know her p0ersonally, Kakalena was  a long time member of Cruise Critic, and had almost 800 days cruising on HAL ships. She was a very talented vocalist who would frequently join in where they had performers singing in the crows nest. She delighted in organizing Meet & Greets. She was also an accomplished and published poet.

Kakalena will be missed by so many.

Jane

🥲😢

• Like 9

@marshhawk  Glad your DH's test went well.

The second time we were in Cape Town was in 2009 on Tahitian Princess when she was on her way to dry dock in Singapore where she would become Ocean Princess.  We had a day in port before disembarking the ship and flying to London for several days before flying home.  That was a great way to break up a very long flight.

Our day in port was spent on a tour to the actual Cape of Good Hope and then to Cape Point visitors center.

The actual Cape of Good Hope is a point on the bottom of a pennesula on the southern tip of Africa.  The point of the pennesula is called Cape Point, but it is often mistake for the actual cape.  The pennesula curves east which causes the confusion about the cape.  We did not know this until we took the tour.  The area around the cape is pretty rugged.

IMG_7944.thumb.JPG.cbcfa11ed5c0ae0c46a7972b559d9296.JPG

The Cape of Good Hope

IMG_7954.thumb.JPG.c4ad3f8f88572d2c16fe1b693dff3ddd.JPG

We saw some ostriches in the area, but from a distance

IMG_7942.thumb.JPG.b53ff116e5d16983e7b88f51121a18a3.JPG

Our next stop was Cape Point and the visitor center.  The point can be seen from the visitor center on top of the cape area.

IMG_7970.thumb.JPG.2b4c03b2768144bdbea52d6c3953cd19.JPG

IMG_7981.thumb.JPG.d57b9d48ab2d72b7a072f00c8463a4e5.JPG

The lighthouse.  We did not climb up there.

IMG_7968.thumb.JPG.6bcfffa0d205d740987c771474614240.JPG

On the way back to the ship, we stopped to see these cute guys.

IMG_7993.thumb.JPG.a5a1cf2b8477b078a35c186d5f0deb1f.JPG

IMG_7999.thumb.JPG.4e678076f83f0db7b6c00d1fea381f6e.JPG

IMG_8001.thumb.JPG.5c1eb44249e58388e5ea3c75c4270ac5.JPG

IMG_7994.thumb.JPG.4b8a5dc6fab908ed6969181f30b3ed34.JPG

The coast line on the return to town

IMG_8002.thumb.JPG.bd8c2fabfc1897d443571badf2a13b8d.JPG

The tour guide pointed out the hospital where Dr. Christine Bernard performed the first heart transplant.  I believe this is the hospital.

IMG_8020.thumb.JPG.bc839b483fbf84171462c79aa02743ff.JPG

We also walked around the Victoria and Alfred Waterfront area. 

IMG_8029.thumb.JPG.2ccdd9d0a2aa41b9b2ce2f2a097f2e5c.JPG

IMG_8030.thumb.JPG.cdb9d96a547f1b7f24add328185b5af8.JPG

IMG_8031.thumb.JPG.7f66b32f016faa28e03ae90d33e55480.JPG

Lenda

• Like 18
  • Thanks 5

37 minutes ago, marshhawk said:

All went well with DH this morning...they said he would be there for two hours, and they set him free after one hour.  Got him home, fixed a breakfast for us, watched some F1, and then????  I took a nap.  with the rain, and the thunder and the lightening.  I could have slept all day, but figured, i should get up and drink more coffee, watch more tv, and then just go to bed.  LOL.  It's actually quite cold and damp today, a perfect day to be in.

I told the woman i dog walk for, that i wouldnt' be home until 2, so she took a half day, and got home about 10 minutes after we did.  Well, who knew.  They said two hours,  DH was talking about stopping for breakfast ( i already had what he wanted at home) so that saved time and money.

In regards to the meal, I thought it said aqua pizza.  Water bread. ??? Water pizza?? new diet.  

@dfish I actually got the DH to say yummy about the guiness beef stew, so i printed the recipe and it's on the menu for Sunday!

c7a3d2ded8658bb9748b14c821c645ea.jpg

I made this last night and it was really good. 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Just now, aliaschief said:

Linda @Quartzsite I usually try to be a positive person but in this case I’ll take be labeled negative!😁 Not sure why so many folks get so stressed over getting the test. There are so many options and it has always been so easy for us.

That being said I disagree even more about 3 day in advance testing. Like right now Fort Lauderdale seems loaded with spring breakers and cruisers. IMO testing should be right before boarding.

Bruce

If you live in a small town like we do, finding a place for the test can be difficult.  Even when we had an easy time two weeks ago getting the test, getting printed results with our name on it was a problem.  The hospital portal did not show the names.  That, not the test, was what made for a stressful day.

Keeping our fingers crossed for negative results tomorrow before the next segment.  We've been wearing our masks, but many, maybe the majority, have not.

The three day advanced testing is only if you had the booster.  We'll see how that works.

Lenda

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

First, I am so sorry to read of Kakalena`s passing. May she rest in peace and hope her family finds comfort in their memories.

Second and of little importance in the light of everything. The

golf tournament went off without a hitch. Weather held , it was great. I think I told you my nephew convinced me to play. So  we went last. Myself, my son, my nephew and one of my girlfriends. Well, we WON! We were having a good time and were playing well but I really wasnt thinking of winning. It was on the 7th hole that my nephew said we just might win this thing. I just started laughing but sure enough we did.  Great time .  Off to shower and just relax.

• Like 17

5 minutes ago, cunnorl said:

First, I am so sorry to read of Kakalena`s passing. May she rest in peace and hope her family finds comfort in their memories.

golf tournament went off without a hitch. Weather held , it was great. I think I told you my nephew convinced me to play. So  we went last. Myself, my son, my nephew and one of my girlfriends. Well, we WON! We were having a good time and were playing well but I really wasnt thinking of winning. It was on the 7th hole that my nephew said we just might win this thing. I just started laughing but sure enough we did.  Great time .  Off to shower and just relax.

Congrats on the win!  That's great!

@Quartzsite CruiserLenda, thanks for your photos.  It really looks like an interesting and diverse port stop.

• Like 12

15 minutes ago, cunnorl said:

Whoot whoot!!! Big congrats on the golf win!

We need to celebrate all things especially golf tourneys...👏👏

• Like 10