Where is that Captains Club tier between elite plus and zenith we were promised?

cruisestitch

5 minutes ago, cruisestitch said:

I was going through old pictures trying to delete some unwanted ones and I came across the screenshot I took of a post here on Cruise Critic. The date was June 15, 2017. Hey LLP did you forget?

C865D3E0-536B-43C9-8AA3-92CB20506BF1.png

Probably with the same new tier hinted at about that same time by RCCL between Diamond+ and Pinnacle.  And careful for what you wish for, as an in between tier may simply rob Peter to pay Paul and lessen both tiers. (If that matters to anyone). 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Alakegirl said:

Doesn’t Royal have such a level even though it doesn’t have a name? At 320 points don’t some perks kick in?

It is actually at 340 (and again at 525) that a couple of extra perks are included.  But it is, as you suggest, an un-named tier point.

I was on a cruise where the CEO had a Q & A session. She was asked why the bottled water in Aqua Class, which at one time was unlimited, now is limited to one bottle per cruise. She said in a surprised tone that "that's not right". The water was restored for that cruise, but only that cruise. I don't think that Celebrity is interested in adding anything that would increase costs and would reduce margins. That includes the loyalty program!  I expect reductions in the Captain's Club program, not additions. I do hope that I'm wrong!

8 hours ago, cruisestitch said:

I was going through old pictures trying to delete some unwanted ones and I came across the screenshot I took of a post here on Cruise Critic. The date was June 15, 2017. Hey LLP did you forget?

Well a lot has changed since June 2017 and I don't believe at this point in time Celebrity (or other cruise lines) will be introducing much of anything that is going to cost THEM money, rather the consumer will be bearing the cost, if/when until they can make up some of the hundreds of millions if not billions of dollars they have lost in the past few years.  Time will tell.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, cruisestitch said:

Thanks for the good, laugh out loud that I just had!!! 🙂 🙂 I think "when hell freezes over" might be the answer!! 

At the risk of being labeled a "Cheerleader for Celebrity", I am going to point out the "promise" the OP refers to is a message board post reporting what a single person says the CEO said in 2017.  Hardly a standard I'd want to be held to.

Harris

Denver, CO

• Like 5

3 hours ago, omeinv said:

At the risk of being labeled a "Cheerleader for Celebrity", I am going to point out the "promise" the OP refers to is a message board post reporting what a single person says the CEO said in 2017.  Hardly a standard I'd want to be held to.

Harris

Denver, CO

No risk at any label at all, but while that is a valid point, I have to say that RCCL - their sister brand under the RCL family - also hinted at a similar "plan" with their Crown and Anchor program around the same time. Although RCCL and Celebrity operate as separate companies, their loyalty programs are reciprocal and very similarly structured with regards to tier levels.  And RCCL has also not yet implemented their indicated stepped tier level between Diamond+ and Pinnacle either.

Certainly not hard evidence or a standard, but just saying..... 

Edited by leaveitallbehind

If it is all about income, some possible ‘gifts’ to a new level could possibly generate some income….

A free photograph may encourage guests to purchase a second….

$ discount on an excursion may encourage some to choose a Celebrity excursion rather than a private on.

50% off a speciality restaurant may encourage bookings…

just a thought…

10 hours ago, miched said:

I think it is called everything included 

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Yes, our E+ perks are basically meaningless (especially as we usually get free laundry with our suite). We do like the Elite breakfast still though! For those who still manage to get a simply cruise price, however, those evening drinks still have value.

Personally I think it is the ‘events’ that we have always valued. We always enjoyed the Elite cocktail hour, even when we had drinks packages and access to Michael’s/Retreat. Perhaps they could look at offering a special lunchtime event for all guests who reach a set amount of points…Surely that wouldn’t cost much, most of us would have drinks packages and would have eaten somewhere anyway…It would be a simple way of acknowledging loyalty.

Edited by chemmo
  • Like 2

I don't want to sound overly cynical but I won't be holding my breath for any change soon. We've just done a B2B on Apex. Our first time on Celebrity for a couple of years due to covid. 

I noticed a lot of very subtle cost cutting since the last time we sailed. After the huge financial hit they've taken recently I really don't think customer loyalty is top of their priority list. 

22 hours ago, cruisestitch said:

How about the promises of universal health care, reduction of Federal budget, no new taxes,  etc.?   Give the audience something they want to hear.

15 hours ago, LGW59 said:

Well a lot has changed since June 2017 and I don't believe at this point in time Celebrity (or other cruise lines) will be introducing much of anything that is going to cost THEM money, rather the consumer will be bearing the cost, if/when until they can make up some of the hundreds of millions if not billions of dollars they have lost in the past few years.  Time will tell.

Not to mention runaway inflation, shotages of goods, high fuel prices, the hidden costs of constantly switching itineraries.  Also a big cost to Celebrity and a big benefit to we cruisers is the Health and Safety measures, the 48 hr cancellation, the best price guarantee.  These are never discussed here as a passenger benefit to balance the loss of a bottle of water.

Edited by TeeRick
  • Like 5

45 minutes ago, keesar said:

How about the promises of universal health care, reduction of Federal budget, no new taxes,  etc.?   Give the audience something they want to hear.

A chicken in every pot!😀

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Moby Jones said:

I don't want to sound overly cynical but I won't be holding my breath for any change soon. We've just done a B2B on Apex. Our first time on Celebrity for a couple of years due to covid. 

I noticed a lot of very subtle cost cutting since the last time we sailed. After the huge financial hit they've taken recently I really don't think customer loyalty is top of their priority list. 

The priority list has not changed nor will it ever change.  Simple.  Put people in cabins at the maximum price the market will allow and get them spending on the ship.  They will thank the loyalty cruisers for spending all that money in the past.  The highest levels E, E+ and Z cost them more money for what they currently care about, which is the quarterly and annual earnings going forward.

Edited by TeeRick

25 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

The priority list has not changed nor will it ever change.  Simple.  Put people in cabins at the maximum price the market will allow and get them spending on the ship.  They will thank the loyalty cruisers for spending all that money in the past.  The highest levels E, E+ and Z cost them more money for what they currently care about, which is the quarterly and annual earnings going forward.

While there are perks and benefits provided with a cost to the cruise line associated with them for upper tier loyalty cruisers, those loyalty cruisers are also their most frequent customers.  They continue, with every cruise booked, to spend money on their stateroom fares as well as on board today as they did in the past.  IMO, the somewhat token loyalty benefits provided would hardly replace the day to day on board revenue generated.

These repeat cruisers, probably in a greater proportion due to their numbers as frequent repeat customers, are critical in generating the desired and necessary revenue moving forward with the cruise line's restart.  The primary purpose of the loyalty program is, as the concept suggests, to develop a large and ongoing base of repeat customers because of the revenue they generate.  The nominal cost for the perks and benefits provided in this effort is likely well offset by the very repeat business it helps create.  I'm sure maintaining a loyal customer base - especially in these times - remains a significant priority today as in the past.  Perhaps even more so today.

1 hour ago, keesar said:

I don’t think LLP has anything to do with any of these.

Edited by cruisestitch
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

While there are perks and benefits provided with a cost to the cruise line associated with them for upper tier loyalty cruisers, those loyalty cruisers are also their most frequent customers.  They continue, with every cruise booked, to spend money on their stateroom fares as well as on board today as they did in the past.  IMO, the somewhat token loyalty benefits provided would hardly replace the day to day on board revenue generated.

These repeat cruisers, probably in a greater proportion due to their numbers as frequent repeat customers, are critical in generating the desired and necessary revenue moving forward with the cruise line's restart.  The primary purpose of the loyalty program is, as the concept suggests, to develop a large and ongoing base of repeat customers because of the revenue they generate.  The nominal cost for the perks and benefits provided in this effort is likely well offset by the very repeat business it helps create.  I'm sure maintaining a loyal customer base - especially in these times - remains a significant priority today as in the past.  Perhaps even more so today.

This does not at all contradict my post and first principle. Even for Loyalty cruisers.

"Put people in cabins at the maximum price the market will allow and get them spending on the ship."

Many loyalty cruisers sail in suites and still spend a lot of money.  And loyalty benefits are redundant if you sail in a suite.  So a win-win for Celebrity.

12 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

This does not at all contradict my post and first principle. Even for Loyalty cruisers.

"Put people in cabins at the maximum price the market will allow and get them spending on the ship."

Many loyalty cruisers sail in suites and still spend a lot of money.  And loyalty benefits are redundant if you sail in a suite.  So a win-win for Celebrity.

What I was responding to was the comment you made in stating:  

"They will thank the loyalty cruisers for spending all that money in the past.  The highest levels E, E+ and Z cost them more money for what they currently care about, which is the quarterly and annual earnings going forward".

To me that implied that you feel the cruise lines saw the benefit from their loyalty programs - and appreciated that benefit to them - more in the past, likely pre-pandemic.  But now, it is seen as more of a cost impediment in the need to generate revenue.

If I misunderstood your intent, my apologies.  

Hello,

I'm waiting, but not holding my breath, for the merger of Captains Club and Crown and Anchor Society as once 'floated' by M Bayley.

In terms of a new 'perk' - I'd like something that didn't involve alcohol. I've nothing against it, but it seems to be the answer to everything - along with a plate of chocolate covered strawberries!

Regards,

Cublet

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

What I was responding to was the comment you made in stating:  

"They will thank the loyalty cruisers for spending all that money in the past.  The highest levels E, E+ and Z cost them more money for what they currently care about, which is the quarterly and annual earnings going forward".

To me that implied that you feel the cruise lines saw the benefit from their loyalty programs - and appreciated that benefit to them - more in the past, likely pre-pandemic.  But now, it is seen as more of a cost impediment in the need to generate revenue.

If I misunderstood your intent, my apologies.  

No I think it is a mixture and balance.  No cost impediment.  Again with all of us in cabins and spending money, Celebrity is happy.  Principle #1.  But there are perhaps a few at higher loyalty levels that do seek out the least expensive cabin and take advantage of loyalty benefits without spending much on the ship.  It is their right to do so of course.  And they spent a lot in the past to get there.  As an aside, I believe that newer ships like E-Class are designed and built for new cruisers and less for us old traditional customers.  Although many of us still enjoy E-Class too.