Make my own coffee?

cruiser3775

Interesting.  We've sailed out of both Dover and Southampton on Princess a number of times and I've never seen a kettle in our cabin.  I honestly never thought about looking for one.  Perhaps they place them in cabins according to the passport one has registered with when sailing out of England?

5 minutes ago, miagirl said:

Interesting.  We've sailed out of both Dover and Southampton on Princess a number of times and I've never seen a kettle in our cabin.  I honestly never thought about looking for one.  Perhaps they place them in cabins according to the passport one has registered with when sailing out of England?

You are giving Princess far too much credit.

Normally,  every cabin will have a kettle on sailings from Southampton.  Otherwise there would be a mutiny !

• Like 1

On 3/20/2022 at 6:08 PM, cruiser3775 said:

I'm a first time cruiser and this is my first post.  I have just booked on a 12 day cruise on Coral Princess, and I'm sure I'll have more questions that I can't find answers to on this great site, but here's a small one to start with:

Can I make my own coffee in my cabin?  Is there a way to heat water, if I bring the coffee and a coffee press?

Cruiser3775 - As a fellow Aussie please be aware that there is NO kettle in your cabin whatsoever. If you want decent coffee buy a coffee package which will give you 15 coffees. The brown murky liquid they serve in the buffet is not good (I don't drink coffee but hubby and best friends do) - hence we always get the coffee package. Unfortunately the suite information being given here is also wrong -

P & O Australia will provide a coffee machine in their suites but Princess don't. And before everyone jumps on me we have booked suites for our last 6 cruises and have not been given either item. And don't try and pack a kettle or power board as you could find both items will be confiscated when they xray your luggage. Hope some correct information helps.

5 hours ago, wintrev said:

Cruiser3775 - As a fellow Aussie please be aware that there is NO kettle in your cabin whatsoever. If you want decent coffee buy a coffee package which will give you 15 coffees. The brown murky liquid they serve in the buffet is not good (I don't drink coffee but hubby and best friends do) - hence we always get the coffee package. Unfortunately the suite information being given here is also wrong -

P & O Australia will provide a coffee machine in their suites but Princess don't. And before everyone jumps on me we have booked suites for our last 6 cruises and have not been given either item. And don't try and pack a kettle or power board as you could find both items will be confiscated when they xray your luggage. Hope some correct information helps.

Correct. My Princess cruises have never had a kettle in our cabins, including my local cruises from Australia. 

The OP could bring a plunger and get some hot water from the coffee serving machines and take that back to their cabin I suppose. I'm with you though and would buy a coffee card if they don't have the Princess Plus option, where coffee is included.

1 hour ago, nini said:

Are coffee cards still available? We have two older ones and have heard they are no longer valid.

The paper coffee cards are no longer valid.

The "coffee cards" of today are really just put onto your on board account. So when you present your Medallion to get a coffee, the server can see that you have the package.

6 hours ago, wintrev said:

If you want decent coffee buy a coffee package which will give you 15 coffees.

The coffee package gives you 15 specialty coffees and unlimited fresh brewed cups of coffee. Also tea and hot chocolate.

If you have the PrincessPlus package, then the included beverage package includes unlimited specialty and fresh brewed coffee and you should not purchase a coffee package.

7 hours ago, wintrev said:

And don't try and pack a kettle or power board as you could find both items will be confiscated when they xray your luggage. Hope some correct information helps.

Power boards are fine as long as they aren't surge protected. We've been taking our Aldi one on cruises for several years without any problems. We put it in our carry-ons and it's never been questioned so far.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

On 3/20/2022 at 4:38 AM, cruiser3775 said:

I'm a first time cruiser and this is my first post.  I have just booked on a 12 day cruise on Coral Princess, and I'm sure I'll have more questions that I can't find answers to on this great site, but here's a small one to start with:

Can I make my own coffee in my cabin?  Is there a way to heat water, if I bring the coffee and a coffee press?

Welcome - nah, what you want to do is either drink the free coffee at any number of places or spend a few bucks ($30-$40) and get a number of speciality coffee's on your cruise - well worth it. Alternatively, you could order coffee to your room via free room service.

Enjoy your first cruise and welcome to cruise critic.

6 hours ago, nini said:

Are coffee cards still available? We have two older ones and have heard they are no longer valid.

Before the pause...some were reporting that they were able to convince staff (don't recall if it was Pax Svcs or the baristas) to give them credit for their old cards. That may no longer work, but might be worthwhile to ask.

4 hours ago, JF - retired RRT said:

Before the pause...some were reporting that they were able to convince staff (don't recall if it was Pax Svcs or the baristas) to give them credit for their old cards. That may no longer work, but might be worthwhile to ask.

Thanks. We are typically booking the Princess Plus, but maybe I will bring them in May and ask about them. I slip them in with our Passports/ Vaccination Cards. LOL

38 minutes ago, ozscotart said:

Good news : people who boarded Sky today reported kettles in their cabins ! 

OH NO!  THE SHIP IS GOING TO BE SET AFIRE AND EVERYONE IS GOING TO DIE!  Having a kettle on a cruise ship is the equivalent of striking a match and dropping it in a bucket of gas.  PLEASE INTERNET POSTERS - save Princess and everyone on the Sky by endlessly talking about how dangerous kettles are on a ship! 😉

We have always had a kettle in our cabins on P&O and Princess when sailing from Southampton and P&O have coffee machine and kettles in their suites. We were also on Cunard in November in Princess Grill and we had both coffee machine with pods (illy) and also a kettle.

As another thought having spent 34yrs as an operational firefight in the UK whilst many house fires are started by white goods majority of these are washing machines, tumble dryers or fridges/freezers. Well known incidents for a few years were fires in Hotpoint and associated companies tumble dryers made by Whirlpool which were found to be faulty. I think even though reports might include kettles as part of white goods fire risk, as its law in UK for all kettles to have auto off switches, and my memory serves me right I cannot remember ever attending any house fire where the initial cause was a kettle.

Thank you all for the continued advice on what I thought would be a very simple question. Now I am confused, because some experienced people are saying I won't get a kettle, while others are saying I will. I looked at the option of buying a coffee card, but it doesn't work for me. I only drink coffee in the mornings. I prefer to make my own coffee, using coffee I bring with me, and I want to do it in the morning when I first wake up, without having to get dressed and go somewhere.  It's not going to ruin my cruise if I can't do that, but it would be nice!

With PrincessPlus (drinks package and coffees included), can we order a coffee in the morning to be delivered to the cabin (free of charge), without doing room service breakfast?
For eg. We decide the night before that we won't order room service breakfast. But in the morning we feel like a coffee before heading to the restaurant for breaky. Instead of walking to the cafe or Horizon's, can we order an included coffee to come to the cabin? Thanks.

Edited by CDaze71

12 minutes ago, CDaze71 said:

With PrincessPlus (drinks package and coffees included), can we order a coffee in the morning to be delivered to the cabin (free of charge), without doing room service breakfast?
For eg. We decide the night before that we won't order room service breakfast. But in the morning we feel like a coffee before heading to the restaurant for breaky. Instead of walking to the cafe or Horizon's, can we order an included coffee to come to the cabin? Thanks.

Yes. And many have reported that is a speedy delivery and nice and hot!

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, CDaze71 said:

Never had an issue getting coffee delivered for pre breakfast

• Like 1

16 hours ago, cruiser3775 said:

Thank you all for the continued advice on what I thought would be a very simple question. Now I am confused, because some experienced people are saying I won't get a kettle, while others are saying I will. I looked at the option of buying a coffee card, but it doesn't work for me. I only drink coffee in the mornings. I prefer to make my own coffee, using coffee I bring with me, and I want to do it in the morning when I first wake up, without having to get dressed and go somewhere.  It's not going to ruin my cruise if I can't do that, but it would be nice!

If you are sailing out of US or Canada you will not be getting a kettle.  

Get room service delivered or I take a small collapsible silicone kettle in my suitcase.  Bought it on Amazon 3 years ago .  I have been taking small kettles with me for the past 15 years as I use them in the hotels pre cruise and in my cabin.   You will again hear that kettles are not allowed you may go to the naughty room and so on. It is up to you to decide you want to do.

A picture paints a thousand words……the hostess tray that was in our cabin on Regal Princess last September sailing from Southampton. Absolutely love having this option and bring our favourite coffee and tea brands with us.

B1628118-3499-4A61-89ED-241186CC8239.jpeg

A811400B-A243-4A8E-B167-3FB2AF8D640F.jpeg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cruiser3775 said:

So if I buy a small collapsible silicone kettle, will I be allowed to take it on board, or would it be confiscated?   And, related question, will the power outlets in the cabin take Australian 2 or 3 pin plugs?

Wow - obviously you are determined to try!

The above picture comes from a cruise that left England where Princess allow kettles!

Done 18 cruises with Princess so far and not one kettle allowed on any of them - have not cruised from England where obviuosly the Brits would be up in arms about not getting a kettle in their room.

Please go to the website - link below

https://www.princess.com/learn/faq/pre-cruise/prepare-for-your-cruise/?accordion=prohibited-items

and you will read this

• Hookah and Water Hookah Pipes, candles and incense, strike-anywhere matches, clothing irons, heating pads, hot plates, kettles, coffee makers, toasters and other electronic cooking appliances.

In plain english for you the answer is NO NO NO!