Crown Grill or Sabatini’s?

redflag216

We tried both on our cruise in December.  I normally eat vegetarian, but every six months or so, I am up for a good steak. I had high hopes for Crown Grill being able to deliver a great filet.  I found it to be a big letdown.  Everything looked good but it didn't have a whole lot of flavor.  I thought the side dishes were better than the main proteins. My husband and our two teens had a slightly higher opinion than I did.  They said they would return if given a free meal, I wouldn't.  We preferred Sabatini's because it was easier to taste and share everything on the menu. We didn't love everything at Sabatini's but it was tastier overall.

We regularly dine in the various specialty restaurants on Princess.  We enjoy the menus of both Crown Grill and Sabatini's.  So, my opinion of the menus should not influence you,

However, we do have a preference for Sabatini's based on solely on the fact that you are going to be on the Royal Princess.  

The Crown Grill on the Royal Princess is located on Deck 7 adjacent to and integrated with the Crown Grill Bar.  (My recollection from when we criused on the Royal Princess in 2019 was that at that time this space was called the Wheelhouse Bar,)  When we arrived for dinner at the Crown Grill, we were shown to a table that was more in the bar than the restauarant.  There was a singer performing that just listening for a few minutes was enough for us to know that we did not enjoy.  We immediately asked for a different table.  Happily, we were led to another table that was a little farther from the bar.  We could still hear the singer, but at least we did not have to pretend that we enjoyed it and clap after each song.

Sabatin's on the Royal Princess is tucked into a corrner on Deck 5.  It is fairly remote from other ship's activities.  Your party can enjoy good dining and good conversation without what I would describe as ambient distractions.

I don't know if you are a wine person, but on the Royal Princess Sabatini's had a terrific list of Super Tuscan wines that I do not recall seeing in any of the other venues.  This really surprised me, because in my previous experinences at Sabatini's in on other (Grand Class) ships, they did not have this enhanced wine list.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, XBGuy said:

We regularly dine in the various specialty restaurants on Princess.  We enjoy the menus of both Crown Grill and Sabatini's.  So, my opinion of the menus should not influence you,

However, we do have a preference for Sabatini's based on solely on the fact that you are going to be on the Royal Princess.  

The Crown Grill on the Royal Princess is located on Deck 7 adjacent to and integrated with the Crown Grill Bar.  (My recollection from when we criused on the Royal Princess in 2019 was that at that time this space was called the Wheelhouse Bar,)  When we arrived for dinner at the Crown Grill, we were shown to a table that was more in the bar than the restauarant.  There was a singer performing that just listening for a few minutes was enough for us to know that we did not enjoy.  We immediately asked for a different table.  Happily, we were led to another table that was a little farther from the bar.  We could still hear the singer, but at least we did not have to pretend that we enjoyed it and clap after each song.

Sabatin's on the Royal Princess is tucked into a corrner on Deck 5.  It is fairly remote from other ship's activities.  Your party can enjoy good dining and good conversation without what I would describe as ambient distractions.

I don't know if you are a wine person, but on the Royal Princess Sabatini's had a terrific list of Super Tuscan wines that I do not recall seeing in any of the other venues.  This really surprised me, because in my previous experinences at Sabatini's in on other (Grand Class) ships, they did not have this enhanced wine list.

FWIW, I agree with every syllable of this, including the part where we were shown to a table that was more of a bar table and asked to be moved, and were.  When first seated, my teenage daughter leaned over to me and said: "Dad, this is a table that they should give to walk-ins, not to people who made a reservation, and certainly not to a group with a minor.  I am clearly in a bar."

We prefer Crown Grill. Like @Genessa said, the black & blue soup is something really special, and I get one on every cruise. CG is a don't miss, for us.

Back in the late 2000's, Sabatini's had an insanely delicious menu that was utterly mouth watering. We strongly preferred it to CG back then. They got rid of that menu, and for us, they've never been the same. We'll do Sabatini's every third cruise or so. 

As to the salt controversy, yes, they are different. One has a nice smoky/outdoor bbq flavor that I particularly enjoy. I use it sparingly, and not on every bite.

2 hours ago, XBGuy said:

The Crown Grill on the Royal Princess is located on Deck 7 adjacent to and integrated with the Crown Grill Bar.  (My recollection from when we cruised on the Royal Princess in 2019 was that at that time this space was called the Wheelhouse Bar,)  When we arrived for dinner at the Crown Grill, we were shown to a table that was more in the bar than the restaurant.  There was a singer performing that just listening for a few minutes was enough for us to know that we did not enjoy.  We immediately asked for a different table.  Happily, we were led to another table that was a little farther from the bar.  We could still hear the singer, but at least we did not have to pretend that we enjoyed it and clap after each song.

Sabatini's on the Royal Princess is tucked into a corner on Deck 5.  It is fairly remote from other ship's activities.  Your party can enjoy good dining and good conversation without what I would describe as ambient distractions.

I don't know if you are a wine person, but on the Royal Princess Sabatini's had a terrific list of Super Tuscan wines that I do not recall seeing in any of the other venues.  This really surprised me, because in my previous experiences at Sabatini's in on other (Grand Class) ships, they did not have this enhanced wine list.

1 hour ago, JimmyVWine said:

FWIW, I agree with every syllable of this, including the part where we were shown to a table that was more of a bar table and asked to be moved, and were.  When first seated, my teenage daughter leaned over to me and said: "Dad, this is a table that they should give to walk-ins, not to people who made a reservation, and certainly not to a group with a minor.  I am clearly in a bar."

I agree with both of you in that one of the top dumb design decisions on the Royal Class ships is the CG Bar and having music bands there during prime dining hours.  IMO, the area is quite tiny for a music venue anyway and half out in the hallway.  I never make a CG res without requesting a table towards the back.

I'd go at least once to each restaurant.  I am not going to be happy if I also encounter sub-standard steak this Fall as I expect a better quality in CG.  Used to be CG filets were as good as WMD ones, etc.  I guess I can always get the veal chop.  If I am served a tough steak, or way off temperature requested - back it goes.  If the steaks are smaller, I guess I would speak to the manager and point out the advertised size in the menu and why aren't they delivering on that or updating the menu?  I must say that to-date (pre-Covid), I was never served an under-sized meat portion in CG.

SALT - I love the Applewood Smoked and actually have my own supply at home which I use every time I grill steaks or have roast beef.

I had a CG filet in January on Enchanted and in February on Regal. Both were cooked a perfect medium rare and were delicious!

A note about CG, now - they will no longer wrap up leftover steak in foil and let you take it back with you. I tried on both cruises, and it was a no-go.

Interesting info here regarding CG on Royal. We sail Royal (first time on that ship) in May and, like many, have a comped specialty meal. If we choose CG for the meal we will definitely ask for a table away from the bar if possible.

58 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

SALT - I love the Applewood Smoked and actually have my own supply at home which I use every time I grill steaks or have roast beef.

I'm not going to get involved here.  At last count, I had over 15 different salts in my cabinet at home including at least three different types of smoked ones (Alderwood, Applewood and Hickory).  I have Himalayan, Peruvian, three types of Hawaiian, a really, really cool one from Israel that is the most fascinating shade of blue, and on and on.  They differ in texture, crunch, minerality, appearance, and in the case of the smoked ones, aroma.  Yeah, sometimes I can be "that guy." 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, JimmyVWine said:

I'm not going to get involved here.  At last count, I had over 15 different salts in my cabinet at home including at least three different types of smoked ones (Alderwood, Applewood and Hickory).  I have Himalayan, Peruvian, three types of Hawaiian, a really, really cool one from Israel that is the most fascinating shade of blue, and on and on.  They differ in texture, crunch, minerality, appearance, and in the case of the smoked ones, aroma.  Yeah, sometimes I can be "that guy." 😁

I'd have taken you for a wine snob, but you are actually a salt snob!! 🤣

We, too, like trying different salts. I have about eight different salts at home. Different sizes and textures for different applications. 

2 hours ago, Kmkub said:

they will no longer wrap up leftover steak in foil and let you take it back with you. I tried on both cruises, and it was a no-go.

As a matter of interest,  what do you do with a cold piece of bloody meat? Surely you don't eat it?

And I can understand why they would not let you take it away with you, because of litigation issues. eg "I got sick eating cold steak 6 hours after you wrapped it up for me"..

Edited by wowzz

Just recently returned from a btb on the Sky.  Wanted to love Sabatinis as previous, even went twice.  Servers were stretched way too thin, food just not great unfortunately.  Crown grill was, by far, the better option those two weeks.  Meal was more relaxed and filet and lobster were very good.  Never get big steaks but tried the porterhouse the waiter recommended.  Smaller sizes overall but that was welcome.  Very good experience.  

• Like 1