A Radiance Class Query Regarding Center Hump Versus Aft Facing Balconies

How do the larger hump balconies compare to center aft balconies when it comes to size and sunniness?  I am looking at making my next reservation and am torn on choosing a cabin location. I've had an aft cabin a couple of times, but as much as I love the aft view and fair amount of sunshine, my knees are saying don't do it again. Are the hump balconies more tunnel like than the aft balconies? Do they get less sun?  If you have tried both, please share your thoughts/preferences. Thank you in advance for you much appreciated input. 🙂

5 minutes ago, patrioticgirl said:

How do the larger hump balconies compare to center aft balconies when it comes to size and sunniness?  I am looking at making my next reservation and am torn on choosing a cabin location. I've had an aft cabin a couple of times, but as much as I love the aft view and fair amount of sunshine, my knees are saying don't do it again. Are the hump balconies more tunnel like than the aft balconies? Do they get less sun?  If you have tried both, please share your thoughts/preferences. Thank you in advance for you much appreciated input. 🙂

Sone of the ones on edge of centrum are definitely large, but get very little sun. More sun on aft. Center hump balconies are small

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Sone of the ones on edge of centrum are definitely large, but get very little sun. More sun on aft. Center hump balconies are small

Agree. Also if a hump off centrum could get noisy 

• Like 1

Noise never bothered us by the hump...........

My reasoning is, 3 ways of looking at it? Itinerary matters somewhat....

7 day cruise caribbean............aft facing the wake.

Longer then 7 day cruise..................hump

Alaska, Panama Canal, Aft no matter how long the cruise is

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, njkruzer said:

Agree. Also if a hump off centrum could get noisy 

Always found it odd that Royal put their most expensive cabins all around the Centrum and directly below the pool deck.

Screenshot_20220324-205343_Chrome.thumb.jpg.973ed86fdedcc441de3c4249c1dcab42.jpg

Pretty sure the figured that issue out when they built Oasis 🙄 

Edited by John&LaLa
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I love aft corner cabin 9256 on Radiance series.  It's a regular balcony, but prefer it to 1100 JS above us, which has outdoor WJ right over it (noise).  

If the cruise is a "bouncy one" with open rough seas itinerary...we will opt for the "hump" cabin balconies.  Less "sea-saw" action there.  

I haven't sailed in an aft on Radiance class, but the hump is pretty shaded on those ships. The port side hump balconies are very large, but also almost fully covered. We were in the middle of the hump on deck 8 starboard, and deck 9 extends pretty far out beyond deck 8 which covers it pretty well, and deck 11 extends even further over 9 and 10. If you want sun, i'd go aft. I know that the ships position relative to the sun will change this, but we were on the south facing side of the ship for a 14 night TA and there wasn't much sun to be had on our balcony for the whole trip. 

Hump locations are nice due to their location to the elevator banks and balcony views as they are extended beyond the typical side location balconies.  We've never had any noise issues there on Radiance class ships.

Aft facing have larger balconies and offer a unique view behind the ship. A little farther to walk to get to the elevators, but that also has not been an issue with us.

Amount of sunshine IMO depends on time of day and ship direction relative to the sun.  But the aft facing balconies I think would be more neutral to that and may provide more or longer opportunities for that.

We like - and have cruised - in both.  So for us it may be a coin toss, but typically the aft facing wins out.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

Where you get the "most" sun will depend where the sun is, compared to your balcony!    Be aware that there is a bit of "vibration" in the aft portions of this class ship....so if that bothers you, book on the hump!

I have stayed in the center hump on Serenade of the Seas and it was nice. Balcony was not fully covered so you get plenty of sun out on that balcony. The sounds from the Centrum was like a muffled sound to us not loud and disturbing at all. Less noise then inside balconies Oasis class ships or Promenade rooms on Freedom Class. Also unless you go to bed early by the time we get back to our cabin the Centrum activities are usually over!

Edited by bigque

3 hours ago, leaveitallbehind said:

Hump locations are nice due to their location to the elevator banks and balcony views as they are extended beyond the typical side location balconies.  We've never had any noise issues there on Radiance class ships.

2 hours ago, bigque said:

I have stayed in the center hump on Serenade of the Seas and it was nice. The sounds from the Centrum was like a muffled sound to us not loud and disturbing at all. Less noise then inside balconies Oasis class ships or Promenade rooms on Freedom Class. Also unless you go to bed early by the time we get back to our cabin the Centrum activities are usually over!

Another vote for hump location. Hate walking all those long corridors... Lately had 8594, perfect.

• Like 2