Nervous about capacity

Tntt

On 3/25/2022 at 1:08 PM, colliece said:

Just got off the Odyssey on Sunday, we sailed at 92% capacity, this weeks sailing is over 100%.  I am going to be honest and some may disagree, but it was not as great an experience.  I know the lines need larger capacities to make a profit, but their were not enough deck chairs or activities on board for that many people.  Long lines for or reservations required, never did get to to iFly or the Zone Zero. 

Got spoiled with 50% capacity on our last few cruises.  I would personally pay more to have fewer passengers on board, but we may be in the minority. 

On an unrelated note, I wish the "Chair Hogs" would have to walk the plank.  I would be up early to go to the fitness center and at 7am there was plenty of chairs, but at 8:30 after my workout and before breakfast, every chair was "claimed" with a towel/boo/etc.  They they would be unoccupied for hours.   

Oh great…I am not looking forward to 100% capacity at all. Was hoping it would still be reduced capacity the first week in May, but sounds like it won’t be. Everyone acts like Covid is over, but far from it. 46% of cases this past week were the new variant…and it’s more contagious than Omicron.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Furball83 said:

Oh great…I am not looking forward to 100% capacity at all. Was hoping it would still be reduced capacity the first week in May, but sounds like it won’t be. Everyone acts like Covid is over, but far from it. 46% of cases this past week were the new variant…and it’s more contagious than Omicron.

Yep, they are going full speed again it will probably result in a shut down again imho.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, Furball83 said:

46% of cases this past week were the new variant…and it’s more contagious than Omicron.

But... how many people are actually sick vs simply testing positive?... that's what ultimately matters.

Edited by Lane Hog
  • Like 5

10 hours ago, Lane Hog said:

But... how many people are actually sick vs simply testing positive?... that's what ultimately matters.

Read about long covid. Immediate symptoms can be slight. Later folks are ending up with brain fog, muscle weakness, heart issues. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, fredmdcruisers said:

Read about long covid. Immediate symptoms can be slight. Later folks are ending up with brain fog, muscle weakness, heart issues. 

Though Poster was referencing new Variant, so unknown as only weeks old in US. Different Variants have different numbers experiencing Long Covid. Even what experienced in other Countries different in US with this, Death, CV Numbers

We were on the Independence last week.  Almost full capacity with well over 3,700 passengers.  The old lines are back and the chair hogs have emerged from their dens.  Not a good thing!

It felt like the ship was short staffed, especially in the MDR.  They must have ramped up the passenger allowance before the staffing could catch up.  Even the suite lounge was understaffed with only one waiter for the entire lounge!

23 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

That's not true.  It's been here since December and is the dominant variant in the USA, surpassing Omicron

Poster was referring to long term, new CV Variant and in US. No numbers out on that yet. Even month ago cases(new Variant)were low here

Edited by ONECRUISER

I really hope cruise lines don't try to embrace short staffing as a way to keep costs down. I understand it takes some time to recruit and onboard but the service gaps are obvious and widespread. I'm not knocking the existing crew, they are working very hard, there just needs to be a lot more of them.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Jasukkie said:

I really hope cruise lines don't try to embrace short staffing as a way to keep costs down. I understand it takes some time to recruit and onboard but the service gaps are obvious and widespread. I'm not knocking the existing crew, they are working very hard, there just needs to be a lot more of them.

Sailing full, understaffing, reducing entertainment, etc all produce more profit for the cruise line.

Im hoping my cruise on april 30 is 100% capacity. We went last august at 30% and it was theworst cruise we ever had. I go because I want to be around people. If your afraid of people and getting covid you need to stay home in a shell. Life isshort,get out and enjoy it. Nobody knows how or when life will end. Live each day.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, fredmdcruisers said:

Sailing full, understaffing, reducing entertainment, etc all produce more profit for the cruise line.

It also chases away customers. The current sailing passengers show that. Sailing for over eight months and still show some numbers in the 50% range, or so. Can’t blame it all on the CDC now, if you want to point fingers, I suggest pointing them at Miami.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, rtazz17 said:

Im hoping my cruise on april 30 is 100% capacity. We went last august at 30% and it was theworst cruise we ever had. I go because I want to be around people. If your afraid of people and getting covid you need to stay home in a shell. Life isshort,get out and enjoy it. Nobody knows how or when life will end. Live each day.

I agree with you completely. Sailed Navigator early January with 596 guests, it seemed like a ghost ship. Luckily all shows and bars were open but they also were empty.  DL was designated for Pinnacles only during happy hour, DL attendant said every night was a very small handful. D and D+ were given deck the entire Cosmopolitan club every night for the private party. The picture below was what we encountered every night, a few appetizers a cocktail or two and on to other bars. Great when slow but dead is a real downer. Some may ask why we went back every night, short answer is vouchers were dinged every other drink  and Royal still has the best chicken wings at sea.  

IMG_5342.thumb.jpeg.c9e5230fa68c688c475da49d10b5e2b3.jpegIMG_5349.thumb.jpeg.a43283b62b11ba7f9a7a131ecbe9153d.jpeg 

Edited by taglovestocruise

8 minutes ago, taglovestocruise said:

I agree with you completely. Sailed Navigator early January with 596 guests, it seemed like a ghost ship. Luckily all shows and bars were open but they also were empty.  DL was designated for Pinnacles only during happy hour, DL attendant said every night was a very small handful. D and D+ were given deck the entire Cosmopolitan club every night for the private party. The picture below was what we encountered every night, a few appetizers a cocktail or two and on to other bars. Great when slow but dead is a real downer. Some may ask why we went back every night, short answer is vouchers were dinged every other drink  and Royal still has the best chicken wings at sea.  

IMG_5342.thumb.jpeg.c9e5230fa68c688c475da49d10b5e2b3.jpegIMG_5349.thumb.jpeg.a43283b62b11ba7f9a7a131ecbe9153d.jpeg 

Photos of my dream cruise. 😉

• Like 2

On the Anthem the last two weeks, 75-80% capacity. First week, no cruise director, he had Covid.  Half way thru the week the show was cancelled (no reason given) and didn’t come back the second week. We saw LeadZepAgain, again and again and comedians. Disembarked late at Coco Cay, something to do with a crew issue is what I heard, not sure of the true reason. Typical chair hogging, lots of kids (800 is what I heard) and very little masking. I think this is what we can expect for a while going forward. Still had a great time, but I was anticipating most of the above, so no disappointment here. 

• Like 1

Saw a blurb from Carnaval over the weekend. They have now had 40 cruises at 100% or higher. Royal says some Oasis Class ships will be back to their old average of sailings in the Caribbean at 108% by end of summer as child count numbers continue to rise.  Voyager and Freedom class will be sailing under 100% as they will be diverting crew to Oasis Class until all crew numbers are back to pre covid numbers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We got off of Enchantment on Saturday.  It was at 70% capacity. We had an easy check in process but we were in a junior suite.  Other passengers reported up to 2 hour wait times. Takes time to show test results and vax cards in addition to the usual things you do at check in.  It is not a big deal but every minute or two per person adds up.

I was always able to find a table in the WJ with no issue.  I even found 2 loungers on two sea days in the solarium.  

I wish we could keep the 70%.  The ship is bound to make money at that capacity. Yet, the capacity is better in the public areas/bars, etc.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, deliver42 said:

We got off the Wonder last week and had only 4700 out of a possible 6900 passengers.

"Only" 4700? Or using another method that's 68% occupied.

2 minutes ago, exm said:

"Only" 4700? Or using another method that's 68% occupied.

RCI reports capacity as % of double occupancy (~5700), or 82%. The avg across all of the RCCL brands pre COVID was about 108% and O class in high season at 110% or more was the norm. 

• Like 1

We were on Adventure last week. It was at about 67% occupancy. All shows went on as scheduled, staff were fabulous, and everyone seemed to have a great time. Occasionally it was hard to find a seat at the Schooner Bar for some live music events, but otherwise there was plenty of seating from what I could see. We got on early with suites and got off late, and didn't have long waits for either.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, RosieRoo said:

On the Anthem the last two weeks, 75-80% capacity. First week, no cruise director, he had Covid.  Half way thru the week the show was cancelled (no reason given) and didn’t come back the second week. We saw LeadZepAgain, again and again and comedians. Disembarked late at Coco Cay, something to do with a crew issue is what I heard, not sure of the true reason. Typical chair hogging, lots of kids (800 is what I heard) and very little masking. I think this is what we can expect for a while going forward. Still had a great time, but I was anticipating most of the above, so no disappointment here. 

I was also on Anthem the last 2 weeks.   WWRY was cancelled due to entertainers testing positive our first week.  

2nd week our late disembarkment at Coco cay was also due to covid.   Our crew was not allowed to disembark.  Indy had a lot of their crew working on cococay since Anthem wasn't allowed to let crew off.   

First week we had little over 400 kids but a lot of college age spring breakers.  2nd week we had little over 800 kids and really noticed the difference in WJ.

We sure did have smooth sailings with fantastic weather almost every day.   Great b2b cruise🤩

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, DragonOfTheSeas said:

We got off of Enchantment on Saturday.  It was at 70% capacity. We had an easy check in process but we were in a junior suite.  Other passengers reported up to 2 hour wait times. Takes time to show test results and vax cards in addition to the usual things you do at check in.  It is not a big deal but every minute or two per person adds up.

I was always able to find a table in the WJ with no issue.  I even found 2 loungers on two sea days in the solarium.  

I wish we could keep the 70%.  The ship is bound to make money at that capacity. Yet, the capacity is better in the public areas/bars, etc.

I'm looking to book a JS on enchantment.   How did you like it?   Shame the ship doesn't  have a coastal kitchen.   Are there any perks for JS on enchantment?

• Haha 1