Covid outbreak on the Ruby

Optotronics

6 minutes ago, HappyInVan said:

You can't check out anytime you like, as you can in a land resort.

For myself, I listen carefully to what the medical/science experts have to say. After all, they're the people who actually know what they are talking about.

Actually, you can check out anytime you like, but you can never leave. 🇲🇽

(Sorry. I couldn’t resist). 

I fully agree with your post though. I do feel a little like I’m waiting for a shoe to drop while on board. Understanding that there may be risks, and entering an already risky environment are two different things. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

29 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

We choose not to wear masks as we don't feel they provide as much protection as many people believe they do.

Looking around on the ship from day 1 of the cruise, a good portion of the newcomers tend  to start off their cruise wearing them but it quickly fades to a minimal crowd by the end of the trip.

It's left to the judgement of each passenger how they want to proceed. 

Even in the crowded theater with announcements being made every 10 minutes before showtime,  most people just ignore the warning.

So it certainly then must be OK to ignore the dress code in the MDR to on formal nights.   All we need to do is to tell Restaurant Manager Princess does not really mean it and show a video of theater announcements being made and no one complying or enforcement happening.  Exhibit A!!!

Edited by Princessfan20
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

I’m interested in your feelings as to why, when the Ruby Princess has been fully masked and sailing with minimal COVID issues for months, the very first “unmasked” cruise resulted in an uptick in COVID cases and perhaps created an ongoing issue (there is a reason they are testing in transit passengers from last cruise today). 

The other ships have been following the same protocols and don't seem to have the infection cases as the Ruby.

If they really felt that strongly the masks would solve any future spread of infections,  they would have implemented the same restrictions on all their ships immediately and not wait until there was an outbreak. 

I mentioned the incident to a few crew members and they just thought that the diafectent procedures were better on this ship.

4 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

The other ships have been following the same protocols and don't seem to have the infection cases as the Ruby.

If they really felt that strongly the masks would solve any future spread of infections,  they would have implemented the same restrictions on all their ships immediately and not wait until there was an outbreak. 

I mentioned the incident to a few crew members and they just thought that the diafectent procedures were better on this ship.

You may be focused too much on the Ruby. If you read about other lines, the same uptick in Covid cases is also happening. Other Princess ships are also experiencing increased cases. Check out Sky Princess and the posting of CDC descriptions of Covid as CDC ranks ships and several are orange-meaning their cases are high enough to warrant an investigation.

BTW- in fairness to most crew members, they are not experts in infection control procedures or comparison of protocols across other cruise ships or lines. I am not sure when you say "this ship" if you mean Ruby. I also suggest  a spell check for disinfectant. 

There is considerable research to demonstrate the effectiveness of masking-have you read any of those studies? You indicate you do not use masks as you do not feel they provide as much protection as others think they do. That is not supported by recent studies.

If Princess kept their mask mandates in place-would this uptick have occurred?

• Like 6

14 minutes ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

Actually, you can check out anytime you like, but you can never leave. 🇲🇽

(Sorry. I couldn’t resist). 

I fully agree with your post though. I do feel a little like I’m waiting for a shoe to drop while on board. Understanding that there may be risks, and entering an already risky environment are two different things. 

Lots of eyes on current and upcoming cruises as ships increase capacity and potential uptick with covid cases, which may sway peoples decisions to cruise. Definitely appreciate the onboard reporting from cruisers on their experiences. Info from PC may not be the most reliable.

• Like 3

As all things in life, I think the issues on the Ruby, Sky, potentially Caribbean are likely a combination of factors.  Most of these are running longer cruises and since the incubation period of most variants of covid is 2-5 days before the onset of symptoms, we are seeing these issues pop up onboard rather than after passengers depart the ship (at the end of a traditional 7 day cruise).  These longer voyages are then allowing the disease to spread pretty fast onboard, especially since they have several sea days and/or visit ports where vaccination rates may be very low.  If princess were to re-enact some of their earlier covid precautionary measures then that would certainly help mitigate things.  But since the demographic skews older on these longer voyages, I think you'll also see more illness inherently due to a higher likelyhood of passengers with pre-existing conditions, and less effective or compromised immune systems.  I don't mean that as a slight at anyone, its just statistically true that a group of 100 30 year olds vs 100 60 year olds are going to have a pretty markedly different immunological response to an upper respiratory, highly infectious disease.

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, cruisingrob21 said:

he issues on the Ruby, Sky, potentially Caribbean are likely a combination of factors.  Most of these are running longer cruises and since the incubation period of most variants of covid is 2-5 days before the onset of symptoms, we are seeing these issues pop up onboard rather than after passengers depart the ship (at the end of a traditional 7 day cruise).  These longer voyages are then allowing the disease to spread pretty fast onboard, especially since they have several sea days and/or visit ports where vaccination rates may be very low.

This!!!

Most of the other ships have shorter cruises.  By the time people are positive(with or without symptoms), they are flying home.  

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, HappyInVan said:

Often, infected pax are left on their own after debarkation in quarantine hotels.

I thought they were handed off to local health depts with a Cruise line # to call if nec

2 minutes ago, sunsetme said:

sadly the vaccine has probably worn off they are now recommending another booster for over 60s.

Approved this morning.  Will it be required to have 'up to date' status??

1 hour ago, Cruise Raider said:

I really think that Princess is just following what the CDC has included in their voluntary program.  Masks are not required indoors in California anymore and we had been on one of the strictest lockdowns.  Public health officials have even questioned the effectiveness of masks.  The vaccinations are doing pretty much as expected, preventing serious illness and deaths in a majority of those that have received them.  It was never promised to absolutely prevent transmission.  None of us, unless we've been living in a cave for the last two years, have been isolated from someone who has had covid.  It is absolutely everywhere and these variants seem to be much more contagious!  Many cases are now only identified because of testing in people they don't even know they have it.  Those at high risk should evaluate if they should be in a public setting, whether it be on a cruise, large indoor gatherings or even a crowded movie theater or on public transportation, especially an airplane.  While many want to place the blame on Princess, one must also take the responsibility of your own health and welfare.  You do sign a CoVid acceptance of risk on the app. Your overall health and welfare is your responsibility.   No workplace, grocery store, gym, doctor's office or uber driver, etc. can guarantee you will not contract CoVid.  It's up to you to determine the level of risk you are willing to take and weigh it against your desire to go on a cruise.  As mentioned, leaving your house to mingle with others puts you at risk.  

Many posts here are urging people to call their doctor when their symptoms have increased yet, we are not seeing any response to this.  I believe if a person is sick enough to receive medical care, it's their responsibility to be open and forthcoming about that need and not wait for a call from the cruise line to check up on you.  

With that being said, there is really no excuse for quarantined passengers not to receive food in a timely manner.  Now, you can be assured that if my spouse was in an isolation room, I'd find a way to get a nutritious meal or snack to that room.  We do always take packaged snacks such as nuts, dried fruit, etc whenever we travel.  We also go to the buffet and get some fruit, such as apples and pears, for the room.  I always have and will continue to take extra medications when we travel along with extra clean underwear and plenty of sanitizer wipes, etc.  A little preparation goes a long way.  

As far as someone that is exposed but still negative made to feel guilty to go out and get some fresh air, that's just not right.  We've all been exposed and I'm sure we will all be exposed numerous times in the future and we still go on with our lives ... again, that's unless you've been living in a cave for the last two years.  If you are sick, stay home and if not, live your life up to the level of your risk tolerance.  

I can't speak for Princess because I haven't been on a princess ship since start up.  I have been on two HAL cruises.  The quarantine area has been sealed off from the other areas on the ship on HAL.  I didn't try to door so I don't know that it was locked.  I would assume that Princess would have something along those lines.  I don't think anyone can roam the halls.  I would love to hear the plan for getting food to your significant other, other than what you brought on board.  There is no excuse for not getting food to people in a timely matter.

6 minutes ago, Ombud said:

I thought they were handed off to local health depts with a Cruise line # to call if nec

Absolutely not.  We were hustled off the ship after making our own quarantine arrangements.  No follow-up from Princess, and no paperwork telling us what to do or expect.  And that was the cruise just before this one when cases were still low.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2837603-princess-response-to-covid-on-last-day-of-cruise-ruby-panama-canal-225-312/page/4/

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Ombud said:

I could see booster status being implemented, maybe for certain age groups.

6 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

I can't speak for Princess because I haven't been on a princess ship since start up.  I have been on two HAL cruises.  The quarantine area has been sealed off from the other areas on the ship on HAL.  I didn't try to door so I don't know that it was locked.  I would assume that Princess would have something along those lines.  I don't think anyone can roam the halls.  I would love to hear the plan for getting food to your significant other, other than what you brought on board.  There is no excuse for not getting food to people in a timely matter.

There is a fire door on Princess but I've seen it cracked open.  I would absolutely march my butt down the hallway if there was no food for my spouse.  Mask up, drop it off on the little table outside their room, text them the food is there and go.  Or, I would fill a Princess bag with some fresh whole fruit, other sustainable snacks and ask the room steward from above to ease it down onto the balcony below.  That reminds me to take some string on my next sailing.  

I agree that the cruiseline should absolutely get food to those in isolation in a timely manner.  I do believe that they were overwhelmed by the sheer number of room service orders coming in all at once.  I've not had that issue on any Princess cruise I've been on since the return to service but, I've not been on a cruise with so many positive cases.  Again, just one more reason to pack some pre-packaged snack foods and have some whole fruit options available in the room.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Host CJSKIDS said:

Princess is no different than any other cruise like sailing out of the US right now.  I can tell you they had more stringent guidelines on my recent Regal sailing than my Royal Caribbean sailing had in September. They allowed some non vaccinated kids and had some area for vaccinated only where no masks were required. 

Negative covid tests are still required prior to boarding, you can still choose to wear a mask and they still do promote some social distancing. Royal and NCL are exactly the same. 

22 minutes ago, Ombud said:

I can't see this happening.  If the first booster was not mandated by cruise lines during omicron, a second will not be mandated now.  Less than half of vaccinated Americans got the first one, the uptake for another shot will be even lower.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Princessfan20 said:

So it certainly then must be OK to ignore the dress code in the MDR to on formal nights.

Apples & oranges here. I don't own formal clothes but mask up ..... 1 is your opinion of what I can still fit into after 2 years of basically shutting down and 1 is my impact on your physical health

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, iamaqt2 said:

Absolutely not.  We were hustled off the ship after making our own quarantine arrangements.  No follow-up from Princess, and no paperwork telling us what to do or expect.  And that was the cruise just before this one when cases were still low.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2837603-princess-response-to-covid-on-last-day-of-cruise-ruby-panama-canal-225-312/page/4/

Shoot, if I felt only mild symptoms or were asymptomatic and lived within a days drive of the port, I would "make my own arrangements" to get a rental car and drive home (if possible) vs being quarantined in a foreign city.  As far as the potential for transmitting to others, I see it as equal risk of transmitting it between doing a contactless rental car pickup vs getting a shuttle ride,  staying at a hotel with the staff being "healthy" and there being other healthy travelers there and potential interactions to do laundry or order food.  That might be the "wrong" thing to do with regards to the operating procedures, but if I had to make my own arrangements, that's what I would probably end up doing.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, HappyInVan said:

The problem is that you're on a boat with a thousand other people on the high seas. You can't check out anytime you like, as you can in a land resort.

Not true if you stay at Hotel California. You can check out anytime you like, but you can never leave.

• Haha 6

3 minutes ago, sfaaa said:

Not true if you stay at Hotel California. You can check out anytime you like, but you can never leave.

More seriously, if you are at a resort in a foreign country or even in your home country, checking out early only works if you can drive back to your home.  If you have to catch a flight you are in a similar predicament.

10 minutes ago, cruisingrob21 said:

Shoot, if I felt only mild symptoms or were asymptomatic and lived within a days drive of the port, I would "make my own arrangements" to get a rental car and drive home (if possible) vs being quarantined in a foreign city.  As far as the potential for transmitting to others, I see it as equal risk of transmitting it between doing a contactless rental car pickup vs getting a shuttle ride,  staying at a hotel with the staff being "healthy" and there being other healthy travelers there and potential interactions to do laundry or order food.  That might be the "wrong" thing to do with regards to the operating procedures, but if I had to make my own arrangements, that's what I would probably end up doing.

Exactly. If I could drive home I would take that course of action.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

There is a fire door on Princess but I've seen it cracked open.  I would absolutely march my butt down the hallway if there was no food for my spouse.  Mask up, drop it off on the little table outside their room, text them the food is there and go.  Or, I would fill a Princess bag with some fresh whole fruit, other sustainable snacks and ask the room steward from above to ease it down onto the balcony below.  That reminds me to take some string on my next sailing.  

I agree that the cruiseline should absolutely get food to those in isolation in a timely manner.  I do believe that they were overwhelmed by the sheer number of room service orders coming in all at once.  I've not had that issue on any Princess cruise I've been on since the return to service but, I've not been on a cruise with so many positive cases.  Again, just one more reason to pack some pre-packaged snack foods and have some whole fruit options available in the room.  

I love it. I have opened a fire door that was closed and one that was cracked open. They are really heavy and an alarm went off when when I opened it. (I still went and dropped off my bag—don’t be judge me lol)

just an FYI for my ninja food warrior friend!  

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Sunwanabe said:

Exactly. If I could drive home I would take that course of action.

That is why we won't be cruising any time soon.  We want to be able to drive home from vacation should protocols change to something we are not happy with.   I would not want to be in a position of having to quarantine in a lesser room with iffy room service.

4 minutes ago, HaveDogWillTravel said:

I love it. I have opened a fire door that was closed and one that was cracked open. They are really heavy and an alarm went off when when I opened it. (I still went and dropped off my bag—don’t be judge me lol)

just an FYI for my ninja food warrior friend!  

It appears that I will have to drop it from the deck above, ninja style … only because of the alarm.  We’ve also opened the fire doors before but no alarm sounded.  😂 

No judgement from me … ever!  I would go to the ends of the earth to make sure my friends and family had something to eat!  

• Like 4