Covid outbreak on the Ruby

Optotronics

15 hours ago, MamaFej said:

However, decent human beings will do what they can to protect themselves, and others. This helps everyone, including those who won't make any effort. 

Unfortunately, decent human beings aren't in as ample supply as some of us would like. 

Currently on the Enchanted we have no cases of Covid and the people haven't been any more proactive in taking precautions than the Ruby. Many haven't worn a mask since boarding any place on the ship including shoulder to shoulder leaving the ship at ports.

Lucky maybe? Who knows.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, azbirdmom said:

People are supposed to self report which would include disclosing recent travel.  This is the language from the CDC site but some states have specific guidance on how to go about this.

"

Do I need to report the results from my self-test?
CDC strongly encourages everyone who uses a self-test to report any positive results to their healthcare provider. Healthcare providers can ensure that those who have tested positive for COVID-19 receive the most appropriate medical care, including specific treatments if necessary.

In most jurisdictions, healthcare providers who diagnose COVID-19 are required to report those cases to public health.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/testing/self-testing.html

Thank you.  I will pass this on to my DB and SIL because I know they weren't aware nor was I.  That is just another example of while the instructions are full of good intentions, it would have to be assumed that positive self test results are under-reported.  In fact, I even had to remind them to notify their doctors so their medical records could be updated.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

Currently on the Enchanted we have no cases of Covid and the people haven't been any more proactive in taking precautions than the Ruby. Many haven't worn a mask since boarding any place on the ship including shoulder to shoulder leaving the ship at ports.

Lucky maybe? Who knows.

We were on the Enchanted cruise before you (March 10-20) and while they announced once each week that the crew had 0 cases of Covid, they never announced that there were no cases on board.  Are they now announcing stats including passengers? 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, redtop101 said:

Just an FYI from today's CDC Cruise Ship Status Dashboard…

I'm not sure when the CDC actually get around to updating their dashboard, but I don't think it is as frequent as daily

The dashboard is updated Monday through Friday, usually midday, with the previous business day’s data. Data posted on a Monday is what was reported to the CDC the previous Friday.

Edited by syesmar

Question for those who have tested positive on-board a Princess ship in the past month???

If you test Positive for Covid on-board are you able to disembark at the next port to complete your quarantine in a hotel?

Who pays what to do it this way?

I have a 2 week Alaska cruise in 39 days and can use Cruise With Confidence to move my dates, as we are not willing to quarantine on the ship more then 2 days, after following social media reports about lack of care.

On 3/26/2022 at 10:35 AM, cruisingguy007 said:

Washing ones hands (or using sanitizer), after serving themselves and before eating, would also nearly eliminate the possibility. 

I've actually gone to several buffets in Las Vegas this year, and I've used disposable food handling gloves each time I went to get more food.  I'll bring those w/me too.

15 hours ago, Joy_K said:

I got off the ship in SF and bought an oximeter to send to him since no one else is monitoring him!

I'll add the oximeter to my list of things to bring.

I'll be going to Alaska in mid-June (unless I change my mind).  I'm just hoping things will improve by then.  This was an "experiment" gone wrong.  Thank you, OP, for sharing your situation.  I hope you recover very soon... and thanks for doing the right thing w/quarantining and staying in your room, etc.💖

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Anyone that cruises, takes a vacation, goes on a plane, or the grocery store etc. should plan in advance that they may get Covid.....it's foolish not to.    

Know the risks before you board and decide if being quarantined is something you can live with, if you can't then you shouldn't cruise.    We all know by now that just being vaccinated & boosted won't stop you from contracting covid.    The chances of becoming seriously ill are slim, but you still can get sick.

Plan your cruise accordingly.....pack items that you wouldn't normally pack (cold meds, oximeter, snacks, cup & silverware, kleenex, etc.)

If you are high risk then you are taking a chance cruising or doing anything else except staying at home isolated.    

Don't be surprised when you get covid even though you think you are doing all the right things (mask wearing, hand washing, sanitizing, etc).....as you've read, it doesn't always make a difference.    At some point you have to eat, and drink.....and unless you plan on staying in your room the entire cruise you are opening yourself up to catching Covid or Norovirus.   

Just know the risks and decide before you cruise if it's worth the risk.....if not, stay home

• Like 12

2 hours ago, capriccio said:

We were on the Enchanted cruise before you (March 10-20) and while they announced once each week that the crew had 0 cases of Covid, they never announced that there were no cases on board.  Are they now announcing stats including passengers? 

Nothing official but I asked one of the officers and that's what they told me. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, KruzPrincess said:

I’ve seen some comments saying quarantine time on a cruise ship is 5 days, but it’s actually 10 days because the CDC considers cruise ships as congregate living situations. Quarantine will end sooner if your cruise ends. 

B1421DB9-5E7E-4F2E-948F-967C93E68BE1.jpeg

Thank you for the correction. I miswrote. Makes me wonder even more why 1 pax remained onboard.  Frankly if I get covid I want to disembark. And I want my care handed over to a 3rd entity rather than remaining remaining with the cruise ship. I would feel more comfortable if a second set of eyes took a look at my care. Leave the ship out of it at that point 

Frankly I've stayed in worse places than a 4.5☆ hotel

But being sick sucks

• Like 3

2 hours ago, capriccio said:

Thank you.  I will pass this on to my DB and SIL because I know they weren't aware nor was I.  That is just another example of while the instructions are full of good intentions, it would have to be assumed that positive self test results are under-reported.  In fact, I even had to remind them to notify their doctors so their medical records could be updated.

Most people aren't aware.  I heard a news report about the CDC wanting to include information about self reporting either on or inside the free test packages that were mailed out but there was no time to do that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, KruzPrincess said:

I’ve seen some comments saying quarantine time on a cruise ship is 5 days, but it’s actually 10 days because the CDC considers cruise ships as congregate living situations. Quarantine will end sooner if your cruise ends. 

B1421DB9-5E7E-4F2E-948F-967C93E68BE1.jpeg

It can be 5 days at the ship's discretion.  From the CDC website (updated March 18, 2022 emphasis is mine) :

Discontinuation of Isolation for Travelers (Crew and Passengers)

• To calculate the traveler’s isolation period, day 0 is their first day of symptoms or the day of their positive viral test if asymptomatic.
  • Isolation may be discontinued for symptomatic travelers with suspected or confirmed COVID-19 after 10 days from symptom onset, if they are fever-free for 24 hours without the use of fever-reducing medication and their other symptoms have improved (loss of taste and smell may persist for weeks or months after recovery and need not delay the end of isolation). Isolation may be discontinued for asymptomatic travelers with confirmed COVID-19 after 10 days from their first positive viral test.
  • Alternatively, at the cruise ship operator’s discretion, isolation may be discontinued for:
    • symptomatic travelers with suspected or confirmed COVID-19 after 5 days from symptom onset, if:
      • they are fever-free for 24 hours without the use of fever-reducing medication and their other symptoms have improved (loss of taste and smell may persist for weeks or months after recovery and need not delay the end of isolation), and
      • they have two negative antigen [12] tests collected at least 24 hours and no more than 48 hours between tests.
        • If either test result is positive, traveler should continue to isolate for a full 10 days.
        • If both test results are negative, travelers can end isolation, but must continue to properly wear a well-fitting mask when outside of cabin (indoors and outdoors) during days 6-10. During this time, these individuals must have in-cabin dining and also wear a well-fitting mask inside their cabin if any other person (e.g., a crew member) enters the cabin.
    • asymptomatic travelers with confirmed COVID-19 after 5 days from date of first positive test, if:
      • they have two negative antigen tests collected at least 24 hours and no more than 48 hours between tests.
        • If either test result is positive, traveler should continue to isolate for a full 10 days.
        • If both test results are negative, travelers can end isolation, but must continue to properly wear a well-fitting mask when outside of cabin (indoors and outdoors) during days 6-10. During this time, these individuals must have in-cabin dining and also wear a well-fitting mask inside their cabin if any other person (e.g., a crew member) enters the cabin.

Technical Instructions for Mitigation of COVID-19 Among Cruise Ship Crew | Quarantine | CDC

Edited by Daniel A
  • Like 2

Not exactly discretionary. They still have to meet some guidelines either way. The discretion applies to which standard is applied. I don’t know if cruise lines want to take on all the extra testing required to satisfy the 5-day plan.

8 minutes ago, Babr said:

Not exactly discretionary. They still have to meet some guidelines either way. The discretion applies to which standard is applied. I don’t know if cruise lines want to take on all the extra testing required to satisfy the 5-day plan.

"Discretion" was the word used by the CDC.  I merely repeated it.

"Alternatively, at the cruise ship operator’s discretion, isolation may be discontinued for:

• symptomatic travelers with suspected or confirmed COVID-19 after 5 days from symptom onset, if..."

2 hours ago, cruzin4us said:

Anyone that cruises, takes a vacation, goes on a plane, or the grocery store etc. should plan in advance that they may get Covid.....it's foolish not to.    

Know the risks before you board and decide if being quarantined is something you can live with, if you can't then you shouldn't cruise.    We all know by now that just being vaccinated & boosted won't stop you from contracting covid.    The chances of becoming seriously ill are slim, but you still can get sick.

Plan your cruise accordingly.....pack items that you wouldn't normally pack (cold meds, oximeter, snacks, cup & silverware, kleenex, etc.)

If you are high risk then you are taking a chance cruising or doing anything else except staying at home isolated.    

Don't be surprised when you get covid even though you think you are doing all the right things (mask wearing, hand washing, sanitizing, etc).....as you've read, it doesn't always make a difference.    At some point you have to eat, and drink.....and unless you plan on staying in your room the entire cruise you are opening yourself up to catching Covid or Norovirus.   

Just know the risks and decide before you cruise if it's worth the risk.....if not, stay home

Princess needs to go back to doing more of the right things too.  They really had good protocols in place at the start of cruising and now they are just laissez faire about it.  

They will suffer and are suffering the consequences of their own short-sighted Covid policies and passengers are paying the price with their health.  They should not sale their cruises as "It's Time for a REAL Vacation and One of the Safest!"  

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

I have always found Princess to be laissez faire about enforcement of their rules, including Covid rules on my Majestic cruises earlier this month and last .

Several news outlets are reporting 73 positive Covid cases on Ruby when she docked in San Francisco.

https://www.audacy.com/knxnews/news/national/princess-cruises-ship-returns-to-sf-with-dozens-covid-cases

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Princessfan20 said:

They will suffer and are suffering the consequences of their own short-sighted Covid policies and passengers are paying the price with their health.  They should not sale their cruises as "It's Time for a REAL Vacation and One of the Safest!"  

Just because Princess does not require mask use, nothing prevents the passengers from wearing them.

Yes, some who have followed every precaution have come down with Covid on a cruise ship, but I suspect most of the recent cases on board have been with passengers who chose not to wear masks when appropriate be it on the ship or on shore.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Princessfan20 said:

Princess needs to go back to doing more of the right things too.  They really had good protocols in place at the start of cruising and now they are just laissez faire about it.  

+1

• Like 1

I really think that Princess is just following what the CDC has included in their voluntary program.  Masks are not required indoors in California anymore and we had been on one of the strictest lockdowns.  Public health officials have even questioned the effectiveness of masks.  The vaccinations are doing pretty much as expected, preventing serious illness and deaths in a majority of those that have received them.  It was never promised to absolutely prevent transmission.  None of us, unless we've been living in a cave for the last two years, have been isolated from someone who has had covid.  It is absolutely everywhere and these variants seem to be much more contagious!  Many cases are now only identified because of testing in people they don't even know they have it.  Those at high risk should evaluate if they should be in a public setting, whether it be on a cruise, large indoor gatherings or even a crowded movie theater or on public transportation, especially an airplane.  While many want to place the blame on Princess, one must also take the responsibility of your own health and welfare.  You do sign a CoVid acceptance of risk on the app. Your overall health and welfare is your responsibility.   No workplace, grocery store, gym, doctor's office or uber driver, etc. can guarantee you will not contract CoVid.  It's up to you to determine the level of risk you are willing to take and weigh it against your desire to go on a cruise.  As mentioned, leaving your house to mingle with others puts you at risk.  

Many posts here are urging people to call their doctor when their symptoms have increased yet, we are not seeing any response to this.  I believe if a person is sick enough to receive medical care, it's their responsibility to be open and forthcoming about that need and not wait for a call from the cruise line to check up on you.  

With that being said, there is really no excuse for quarantined passengers not to receive food in a timely manner.  Now, you can be assured that if my spouse was in an isolation room, I'd find a way to get a nutritious meal or snack to that room.  We do always take packaged snacks such as nuts, dried fruit, etc whenever we travel.  We also go to the buffet and get some fruit, such as apples and pears, for the room.  I always have and will continue to take extra medications when we travel along with extra clean underwear and plenty of sanitizer wipes, etc.  A little preparation goes a long way.  

As far as someone that is exposed but still negative made to feel guilty to go out and get some fresh air, that's just not right.  We've all been exposed and I'm sure we will all be exposed numerous times in the future and we still go on with our lives ... again, that's unless you've been living in a cave for the last two years.  If you are sick, stay home and if not, live your life up to the level of your risk tolerance.  

• Like 24

1 hour ago, Princessfan20 said:

Princess is no different than any other cruise like sailing out of the US right now.  I can tell you they had more stringent guidelines on my recent Regal sailing than my Royal Caribbean sailing had in September. They allowed some non vaccinated kids and had some area for vaccinated only where no masks were required. 

Negative covid tests are still required prior to boarding, you can still choose to wear a mask and they still do promote some social distancing. Royal and NCL are exactly the same. 

• Like 10

1 hour ago, caribill said:

Just because Princess does not require mask use, nothing prevents the passengers from wearing them.

Yes, some who have followed every precaution have come down with Covid on a cruise ship, but I suspect most of the recent cases on board have been with passengers who chose not to wear masks when appropriate be it on the ship or on shore.

We choose not to wear masks as we don't feel they provide as much protection as many people believe they do.

Looking around on the ship from day 1 of the cruise, a good portion of the newcomers tend  to start off their cruise wearing them but it quickly fades to a minimal crowd by the end of the trip.

It's left to the judgement of each passenger how they want to proceed. 

Even in the crowded theater with announcements being made every 10 minutes before showtime,  most people just ignore the warning.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, cruzin4us said:

You raise good points, but winding up quarantined in a hotel in a foreign country (or even in one's own country) is surely not the same as getting covid by being in a local store. At least in that situation you can recuperate / quarantine in the comfort of your own home with - if needed - medical facilities, etc. that are familar and feel comfortable with. Not quite the same as some inside cabin on a ship waiting a considerable amount of time (as the OP described) for staff to bring some food. As you say, though, one must indeed assume the risks. 

Edited by AnyWayIsGood
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Optotronics said:

I haven’t left the room, but my negative tested wife has because we need water, ice, tissue and wash clothes….

to be able to remain in quarantine, you have to have a support system of people to supply you with essentials. There is no one here to guard or check on anyone because princess didn’t provide it. No one comes to the room to clean anything. 
the idea is that to remain in quarantine, you have to have someone getting you the essentials 

If we had someone in the hotel to call and bring ice or water or any of those others thinnga we would. They don’t have room service, so if you want ice or anything else you do it yourself.

they Will leave fresh towels toilet paper and soap, extra pillows at the door, but that’s it.

Is there a reason you can't get deliveries? A quick search on Instacart showed dozens of stores that deliver to the Club Quarters in San Francisco -- including Walgreens and several grocery stores.  You can even have wine delivered, although I'm sure you're not in the mood for a drink.  

While I'm sure the situation is extremely unpleasant and stressful, this idea that you're at the mercy of Princess or someone else to see to your needs is confusing unless the hotel is prohibiting deliveries.  

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Princessfan20 said:

They should not sale their cruises as "It's Time for a REAL Vacation and One of the Safest!"  

Safer than flying to Mexico or Costa Rica on my own. 

1 hour ago, caribill said:

So true!! Makes me wonder if those 1600+ passengers and 1000+ crew that did not get covid were boosted & masked

1 hour ago, latserrof said:

Several news outlets are reporting 73 positive Covid cases on Ruby when she docked in San Francisco.

I'm confused. Is it 100 (6.25%) or 73 (4.5%) of pax. At any rate, I'm packing masks / covid test / flu meds

Hope all that come down with IT on a ship or in the population-at-large heal rapidly

Surveying the threads, my impression is that customers are primarily concerned about convenience and safety during the pandemic. The frequent cruisers who provide the bulk of the revenue to some cruise lines, wish to resume sailing. They're willing to vax, test and mask.

They are concerned about inconvenience. The ports being missed because of outbreaks onboard. The possibility of being infected and quarantined onboard and on land. The anxiety that comes from being a close contact.

I am distressed about the gap between the promises made by cruise companies and the reality on the ground. Often, infected pax are left on their own after debarkation in quarantine hotels.

That cruise ships impose emergency measures only when its too late! The problem is that you're on a boat with a thousand other people on the high seas. You can't check out anytime you like, as you can in a land resort.

For myself, I listen carefully to what the medical/science experts have to say. After all, they're the people who actually know what they are talking about.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

We choose not to wear masks as we don't feel they provide as much protection as many people believe they do.

I’m interested in your feelings as to why, when the Ruby Princess has been fully masked and sailing with minimal COVID issues for months, the very first “unmasked” cruise resulted in an uptick in COVID cases and perhaps created an ongoing issue (there is a reason they are testing in transit passengers from last cruise today). 

• Like 26
  • Thanks 3