The Daily for Sunday 03/27/2022

richwmn

I just went through my pictures of Palermo,  and we've been there twice.  The first time in 2004, the Noordam III took us there.  That day, we took a bus to Monreale. The second time was in 2019 on the Veendam.  That visit, we took a Ho-Ho train, which never had room when we wanted to hop on.  We took it as we could and then walked to the catacombs and ultimately back to the ship.

These first pictures are from our 2004 visit.  The church and mosaics in Monreale.

IMG_2939.thumb.JPG.9e4f555265416350d119c92c7a4836e2.JPG

IMG_2950.thumb.JPG.2dec4c10f8f166115ee5d13ce7477a47.JPG

IMG_2947.thumb.JPG.f5192d7dc6118675675ccd75f5425e3c.JPG

IMG_2946.thumb.JPG.986ed5717f162f16ae0a6f72b80456fb.JPG

IMG_2944.thumb.JPG.6073cefbdf35f19a83e23ea4ec65fd4e.JPG

Some street scenes

IMG_2940.thumb.JPG.3a46c3dd3ae894d6e2c37fd2bd45241b.JPG

IMG_2943.thumb.JPG.b635a5ad717a8dcf6b5216665848de09.JPG

From our 2019 visit when we visited the catacombs.  The first pictures were taken on our way to the catacombs from the ho-ho, so they are not that great.

DSC08058.thumb.JPG.84616734fe93e6df3901c764972b2dae.JPGDSC08070.thumb.JPG.ba60efcd50f3aa7b632c73610602da07.JPG

DSC08069.thumb.JPG.31bf40932f1fc250969bbb650cf761ec.JPG

The road by the catacombs

DSC08075.thumb.JPG.b7c9f82b13b1abf5396dc549c24dead4.JPG

We were not supposed to take pictures in the catacombs, we managed this one which shows some of the monks laying in niches and others still hanging.

1093814914_DSC080792.thumb.JPG.8eb04f717be724003b5401f5a45465ab.JPG

This is a side altar in the Cathedral.

DSC08095.thumb.JPG.f65366734fb1d2b3a2259d1758e6c128.JPG

Finally, a couple of streets on our walk back to the ship.

DSC08100.thumb.JPG.566d0b684e482303d13f515aed8d033b.JPG

DSC08101.thumb.JPG.eac52c68d9e5b99949dd5a15abcfd555.JPG

Lenda

I forgot to mention, but yesterday when the person tested positive, they took him back into the test room and did another test which was also positive.  I don't know if this is the procedure on the other BHBs.

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
  • Like 24
  • Thanks 5

So far the quarantine has been a goat rope. Now we are all displaced. Sue and Barb are in separate insides. Barb or Susan can’t comeback to our Neptune Suite until I’m moved to quarantine area and there saying that may be as late as 5:00 PM and then Sue DW can join me for our exile cruise in a balcony cabin. Barbara SIL being negative cannot isolate with us like Hal told them last night. After our suite is fumigated it appears Barb gets the Neptune all to herself as long as she remains negative. 

One would think they would have moved us before all new guest boarded? What do I know!

I did manage to get our luggage packed which sounds easy until one tries to remember which is Sue’s and which is Barb’s. Had to take a few photos to get it done.

Hal doesn’t do a good job of communicating at times and this experience is one of those times.

I may have to unpack the Crown Royal!😁

• Like 14
  • Thanks 13

5 hours ago, aliaschief said:

Good morning from quarantine central. Sue and Barb were given an inside cabin for the night and I got to stay in our Neptune. Why? I believe the other quarantine cabins were already occupied.

This morning Sue tested positive and we are trying to get her back here to isolate with me. Barb SIL was negative but wants to join us and we all isolate together. We’ll see! Balcony good book great view and I bought a bottle of Crown Royal! What else do I need!😎

Thanks for the heads up about getting culinary utensils. Eating eggs Benedict on styrofoam with wooden utensils is not the best!

Feeling a little stuffy but still pretty much mild symptoms. 

So we have made our decision and are going to have an isolated but enjoyable cruise around the Caribbean. Hopefully, together.

Thanks to all from the Quarantine’s!😷

Sorry to hear Sue is now positive.

Prayers 🙏 you all have mild symptoms and they let you all isolate in your lovely suite.

• Like 14

34 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

I just went through my pictures of Palermo,  and we've been there twice.  The first time in 2004, the Noordam III took us there.  That day, we took a bus to Monreale. The second time was in 2019 on the Veendam.  That visit, we took a Ho-Ho train, which never had room when we wanted to hop on.  We took it as we could and then walked to the catacombs and ultimately back to the ship.

These first pictures are from our 2004 visit.  The church and mosaics in Monreale.

IMG_2939.thumb.JPG.9e4f555265416350d119c92c7a4836e2.JPG

IMG_2950.thumb.JPG.2dec4c10f8f166115ee5d13ce7477a47.JPG

IMG_2947.thumb.JPG.f5192d7dc6118675675ccd75f5425e3c.JPG

IMG_2946.thumb.JPG.986ed5717f162f16ae0a6f72b80456fb.JPG

IMG_2944.thumb.JPG.6073cefbdf35f19a83e23ea4ec65fd4e.JPG

Some street scenes

IMG_2940.thumb.JPG.3a46c3dd3ae894d6e2c37fd2bd45241b.JPG

IMG_2943.thumb.JPG.b635a5ad717a8dcf6b5216665848de09.JPG

From our 2019 visit when we visited the catacombs.  The first pictures were taken on our way to the catacombs from the ho-ho, so they are not that great.

DSC08058.thumb.JPG.84616734fe93e6df3901c764972b2dae.JPGDSC08070.thumb.JPG.ba60efcd50f3aa7b632c73610602da07.JPG

DSC08069.thumb.JPG.31bf40932f1fc250969bbb650cf761ec.JPG

The road by the catacombs

DSC08075.thumb.JPG.b7c9f82b13b1abf5396dc549c24dead4.JPG

We were not supposed to take pictures in the catacombs, we managed this one which shows some of the monks laying in niches and others still hanging.

1093814914_DSC080792.thumb.JPG.8eb04f717be724003b5401f5a45465ab.JPG

This is a side altar in the Cathedral.

DSC08095.thumb.JPG.f65366734fb1d2b3a2259d1758e6c128.JPG

Finally, a couple of streets on our walk back to the ship.

DSC08100.thumb.JPG.566d0b684e482303d13f515aed8d033b.JPG

DSC08101.thumb.JPG.eac52c68d9e5b99949dd5a15abcfd555.JPG

Lenda

I forgot to mention, but yesterday when the person tested positive, they took him back into the test room and did another test which was also positive.  I don't know if this is the procedure on the other BHBs.

Thank you for your wonderful photos Lenda.

When we went to Sicily in 2003 we docked at Messina.

Graham.

• Like 10

52 minutes ago, AV8rix said:

I'm getting ready to check out of Wyndham in a few minutes.  Going to drop luggage at pier, then walk over to Rite Aid 'cause I just realized that I forgot to pack lip balm.  I also have early boarding and VeriFLY so checkin should be a breeze.  Seeya at the Mariner reception if I don't see you at the pier.  Again, I'm all in orange.

And I'll bet that the rest of our Dailyites are happy that we're finally going to board the ship and shut up about our personal roll call 😀😀.

Haha, yes we’ll be quiet now!  Check in went quickly, the taxi dropped us off at 11:05 and by 11:11 we were sitting in the waiting area.  I’ll be on the lookout for you.  (We popped into a Ralph’s for the stuff we forgot. ). 

• Like 17

It's a good morning, I think. I am prone to Springtime allergies and also to Springtime head colds.... and I think they got me!!! My at home Covid test shows negative (although I will retest this evening) and the symptoms are mainly sinus and eyes. No fever. But I am self isolating as a precaution. This may get me out of a Board meeting at the shelter next week. I am sure everyone can manage without me. So Bandit and I are going to retire to bed for much of the day. Glad I am home......I really hate being sick on a cruise and I have to admit I often caught colds as I did on the QE2. Shouldn't have mentioned that the other day.

Susan

• Like 20

Just now, durangoscots said:

It's a good morning, I think. I am prone to Springtime allergies and also to Springtime head colds.... and I think they got me!!! My at home Covid test shows negative (although I will retest this evening) and the symptoms are mainly sinus and eyes. No fever. But I am self isolating as a precaution. This may get me out of a Board meeting at the shelter next week. I am sure everyone can manage without me. So Bandit and I are going to retire to bed for much of the day. Glad I am home......I really hate being sick on a cruise and I have to admit I often caught colds as I did on the QE2. Shouldn't have mentioned that the other day.

Susan

This was sent much earlier in the day..... it seems to have vanished into the wherever. Sent again now...the gremlins seem to be active still.

• Like 15

5 hours ago, Cruzin Terri said:

Happy “Joe” day to all the Joes.  My father was Joe as is my half-brother.  

I read that four times as ‘My father was Joe as my half brother.’ Finally I realized you said ‘AS IS my half brother’.

Apparently I’m not ready to cut back to a single cup of coffee after all.😉

• Like 8
  • Haha 16

52 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Thank you for your wonderful photos Lenda.

When we went to Sicily in 2003 we docked at Messina.

Graham.

Thank you, Graham.  We have also been to Messina, another interesting place.

35 minutes ago, durangoscots said:

Susan

It's not often you tell someone you hope it's a cold or allergies.  Glad you are testing negative, and hope you feel better soon.

@aliaschief  Bruce, I hope you and Sue get settled into your new cabin soon, and that Barb continues to test negative.

Since we slept through breakfast, we had a hamburger and fries at Dive-in.  It was the best Dive-In burger we've ever had.

I ran into @Vict0riann Ann and Pat in the Lido just long enough to say hello.

Lenda

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, aliaschief said:

So far the quarantine has been a goat rope. Now we are all displaced. Sue and Barb are in separate insides. Barb or Susan can’t comeback to our Neptune Suite until I’m moved to quarantine area and there saying that may be as late as 5:00 PM and then Sue DW can join me for our exile cruise in a balcony cabin. Barbara SIL being negative cannot isolate with us like Hal told them last night. After our suite is fumigated it appears Barb gets the Neptune all to herself as long as she remains negative. 

One would think they would have moved us before all new guest boarded? What do I know!

I did manage to get our luggage packed which sounds easy until one tries to remember which is Sue’s and which is Barb’s. Had to take a few photos to get it done.

Hal doesn’t do a good job of communicating at times and this experience is one of those times.

I may have to unpack the Crown Royal!😁

I’m sorry you’re both positive now, hope you’ll be back with your DW soon.   Just a question,  if you test positive, is it up to the passenger to choose to stay onboard or leave?  Just wanting to understand how it works. 

• Like 12

Haven't posted for awhile, thought I would bring you up to date.  Finished the taxes today.  They were more difficult than I expected.  First, the software package apparently had a problem, so I took it back to Costco and got a new one.  That one worked but it took awhile as I had a lot of charges over the last year against my rental house that I needed to include.  When I tried to file electronically, the IRS rejected it, saying that the number I gave then as last years income was not correct.  It was correct, but can't argue with them, so I put the whole package in an envelope and will mail it tomorrow.

I had three buyers for my log house, but all three backed out ; two didn't like the foundation and one because the well serves two houses.  I took it off the market and have hired a foundation repair company to lift the foundation back up.  That will take about a weeks work, but six or more months to complete due to engineering, County permits and inspections, etc.  So I advertised it for rent and immediately rented it to a local Coast Guard family.  Here is a picture the realter took:13-DSCF6810.thumb.jpg.b2c3aafdbb4c89dc531b761e306fb6ff.jpg

• Like 30

42 minutes ago, bennybear said:

I’m sorry you’re both positive now, hope you’ll be back with your DW soon.   Just a question,  if you test positive, is it up to the passenger to choose to stay onboard or leave?  Just wanting to understand how it works. 

You have choice. Hal would put us up for five days in a hotel at their expense other choice you are moved to a quarantine Verandha cabin in our case deck five. Hopefully after today service will be better. Ordered some ice at ten am and after four request still have not received any as stewards are busy during embarkation.

We’re tough old vets we can do this. Why we did I’m not sure!😁 Hard on twins being separated.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 3

22 minutes ago, USN59-79 said:

Haven't posted for awhile, thought I would bring you up to date.  Finished the taxes today.  They were more difficult than I expected.  First, the software package apparently had a problem, so I took it back to Costco and got a new one.  That one worked but it took awhile as I had a lot of charges over the last year against my rental house that I needed to include.  When I tried to file electronically, the IRS rejected it, saying that the number I gave then as last years income was not correct.  It was correct, but can't argue with them, so I put the whole package in an envelope and will mail it tomorrow.

I had three buyers for my log house, but all three backed out ; two didn't like the foundation and one because the well serves two houses.  I took it off the market and have hired a foundation repair company to lift the foundation back up.  That will take about a weeks work, but six or more months to complete due to engineering, County permits and inspections, etc.  So I advertised it for rent and immediately rented it to a local Coast Guard family.  Here is a picture the realter took:13-DSCF6810.thumb.jpg.b2c3aafdbb4c89dc531b761e306fb6ff.jpg

Very nice!

• Like 8

Good evening, I hope everyone had a good day. Our local Ukrainian church had a pasta dinner fundraiser this afternoon with 100% of the proceeds going to a refugee relief fund . $ 15 for a complete dinner. It was delicious. I hope they announce how much was raised . A local restaurant donated the meals ❤️
      Blessings and prayers to all on our lists. 🙏❤️🎉

• Like 18

Thanks for all the daily reports, appreciate seeing all the photos of Palermo as we have not been there.

@Vict0riann and @AV8rix Bon Voyage.

@StLouisCruisers sorry that Buddy is in pain, hope that he is managing to consume some nourishment, and that the doctors can give him some relief for the pain. Jen sounds determined to improve with walking.

@JazzyV hope that you continue to feel better after the 4th Moderna injection.

@mamaofami appalling that the aide walkied out, good luck with the new aide.

@aliaschief Bruce, sorry that Sue  has tested positive, hope that you are both now in a stateroom together, did she bring some cutlery with her?  Hope Barb continues to be negative.

Another sunny day here, 20 C.

Stay safe take care everyone.

• Like 12

5 hours ago, bennybear said:

In our case we did not have a choice of staying on .

On the N Statendam the only passengers that were tested 2 days before we got back to Ft Lauderdale were those who were to be on the next segment of that cruise , like ourselves . Because I was positive and DW negative we had no choice in staying for the next ten days on board even in quarantine for the necessary days . 
This might have been because they were swamped by the high number of Covid cases 

I should not give you a guesstimate but I have heard of at least 50 to 60 cases and I have seen myself the  long hallways on deck 4 and 5 of quarantine cabins in the aft because we were disembarked twice , once in error two hours before transportation to the hotel was available . 

I have to mention that in October when we were on a three week cruise on the Eurodam with the stricter mask mandate there was only 1 Covid case ! 

Please draw your own conclusion of that fact and what HAL should do ! 

Tony 😷

• Like 12
  • Thanks 4

5a741b95756e717910ebcc885e75fa46.gif

@sailingdutchy

Tony, I totally get it about the masks.  Businesses think they are making the majority happy by doing away with the mandates, but I think they are really ignoring the obvious and will let people be human.  This human wears a mask, and stays home a lot.

Edited by marshhawk
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1

@sailingdutchy thanks for your comments,  what a contrast from October.  I agree with you,  too many want to bury their head in the sand.   We’ve noticed that our local restaurants that were quite busy before when we had with vaccine mandates and masking are now nearly empty.  I think the silent majority are voting with their feet.  

• Like 9

On 3/27/2022 at 12:06 PM, grapau27 said:

Good afternoon.

We couldn't make church today with Pauline's positive test so we text Father David after he sent us today's sermon.

Graham.

Hi Graham , hope Pauline's well on the road to recovery :classic_smile:

Thanks for enquiring about me ,I'm ok .I decided to do some digging in the garden and soon 

discovered that my heart condition and the latter was not a good idea :classic_unsure:. Back to just resting 

and taking life easy .   Take care and stay safe everyone :classic_love: 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, kalos said:

Hi Graham , hope Pauline's well on the road to recovery :classic_smile:

Thanks for enquiring about me ,I'm ok .I decided to do some digging in the garden and soon 

discovered that my heart condition and the latter was not a good idea :classic_unsure:. Back to just resting 

and taking life easy .   Take care and stay safe everyone :classic_love: 

@kalos.

Sorry to hear about your heart setback doing gardening Kalos.

I've learned my limitations too and take it easy as much as I can.

The daily is a lovely place to be and everyone is so caring and friendly with a new daily every day making it very interesting.

I hope you join us here every day my good friend.

Pauline has tested negative the last couple of days and is a lot better.

Take care mate.

Graham.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1