The Daily for Monday 03/28/2022

richwmn

Good morning, all! Cats and children’s books were important parts of the household years ago, and much respected ( and missed). I haven’t been to today’s port, and enjoy the pictures. I’ll pass on the meal, since I react violently to eggplant. This is too bad, because the few times I tried it I really liked it, before the reaction set in. The third time I finally realized beyond doubt that eggplant was the culprit.

We are off to a friends house for brunch this morning. Then the rain is supposed to stop this afternoon, and maybe we can get something done in the yard. Even with the rain, we can sit with coffee and look out at the daffodils and the hummingbirds and the deer.

Prayers and strength to all who need them, including Sailingdutchy, Aliaschief and DW, and Pauline, all with Covid. Here’s hoping the gremlins let me post today.

Happy Monday, everyone, and a new week starts for our beloved BHB’s!

E77E40E4-6161-4F97-870C-7D47E528E29D.thumb.jpeg.3b7916251b5f550cc22d5095c648deda.jpeg

• Like 30

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  We definitely respect our Sochi - she wouldn't have it any other way.   I always have picture books in the house, whether for our family or others who may visit.  Also helps to have some in the gift boxes for last minute gifts.  Hot tubs are nice, but we aren't fans of them - DH refers to them as "human soup."  

Interesting quote today, but sometimes we're surprised by those who hurt us.

Cloudy skies and a cool wind right now, but the prediction is that we should get some melting temperatures by early afternoon.  It'll be nice to see all the glaciers recede from the front and back yards, then to determine what damage may have been done over the winter from snow mould.  

DH has a retinologist appointment this morning so we'll be heading out in a short while for that.  After he's done, we'll be coming straight home because both his eyes will be dilated and the sunshine can be quite uncomfortable for him.  I think he'll settle onto the bed and listen to some music while he dozes and his eyes get a rest.  I may take some time to continue cleaning the computer/sewing/cruise storage room again.

I like today's menu suggestion, but DH doesn't care for lamb, so will have to wait till we go out or get it on a BHB.  For us it's looking like leftovers from yesterday's take-out dinner; as predicted, DH had the hunter chicken and I had the fish and chips.  His will be rewarmed in the microwave, while mine will crisp up in the air fryer.  So it's leftovers on our dinner table tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  Extra prayers for Ukraine and all who are rendering aid.  Extra prayers for our Daily family and friends who are struggling.  We'll raise our glasses and salute all on the celebration list.  Stay well, wash your hands, wear your masks when you need to, get your boosters, and be safe.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 29

1 hour ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Good morning friends!  It was about 42F this morning but I didn't feel like walking outdoors so did that job in my "gym".  Prayers said for all on the Care list, especially dear Jacqui, Jose and Tana, Jen and Buddy, all the Covid positive people here, and the Ukrainian people. 🙏 Prayers for peace there!  Cheers to everyone testing negative and on their way to their ship!   Bon Voyage!  Thank you Rich for posting the Daily and thank you Roy for publishing our lists.  Sorry I don't think I'll try the kebabs today.  I agree rice sounds better with it.  No cats here to respect🐈, and I appreciate children's picture books.  I still recall fondly being asked over and over to read the same book to one of my grandsons.  I could have read it in my sleep!!  No hot tubs here but DD has one on her patio.  No interest in getting in it.  😄

Obviously the news people are tired of the news of the past month because they keep repeating Will Smith slapping Chris Rock.  All right already!!  Time to turn it off.

DH and I are supposed to have our eyes examined Wednesday.  I nudged those appointments along because for the past 10 days or so my eyes have been acting up.  I get strange shapes flashing and I can't see well then.  You can't read if the spot you are looking at it doing all sorts of wild gyrations.  I don't know how to explain it but hopefully they will figure out what's wrong at the eye doctor.  You know when you see a bright flash of light and you see an imprint of that light shape in your line of vision for a few minutes?  That's sort of like it.  The problem persists for about 20 minutes then I'm fine again. 

Like Jacqui @kazuwe went to Hamburg and sailed down the Kiel Canal on the Prinsendam.  I don't believe there was a stop in the city of Kiel either.  Maybe it was the same year, Jacqui.  May of 2017?  I really enjoyed going down that narrow canal!   I'll try to show a few photos too.

Have a fine day everyone!

The visual disturbance sounds like an Occular migraine Sandi especially if it is both eyes.

Flashing zig zag lines and if you look at a word some of the middle letters are missing.

I have experienced this several times and closing my eyes and lying down for 20-30 minutes normally cures it.

They are supposed to be harmless so I hope your eye appointment confirms your symptoms are harmless.

• Like 21
  • Thanks 6

2 hours ago, dfish said:

Good morning, everyone.

Right now it looks like it will be a pretty day.  Skies are clear and the sun is out, but it is staying cold.  We start to warm back up tomorrow and will be close to 70 on Wednesday.  Crazy weather.  Not a lot on the agenda for today besides the pool.   I did manage to do two loads of laundry yesterday and it is all folded and ready to be put away.   I also paid the bills for the month so it was a busy day.   

Today's meal is a Turkish lamb stew over an eggplant puree with yogurt.   Some recipes say you can substitute beef instead of lamb and some even use ground meat.   This first recipe gives two possible scenarios for the origin of the name of the dish, Ali Nazik.  It also uses the traditional lamb.   https://ozlemsturkishtable.com/2014/09/ali-nazik-kebab-lamb-stew-over-smoked-eggplant-and-yoghurt-puree/

1986501246_alinazikkebab1.jpg.5e0a7e6cf1b4dd8819d6d136aaf93553.jpg

You get some slightly different seasonings in this one along with more of an explanation of the dish.  https://www.chocolatesandchai.com/ali-nazik-kebab/

1075142555_alinazikkebab2.thumb.jpg.78a80e8c6aab4307fa5751a2c8fd90c0.jpg

And a slightly different version.  It seems to be missing the vegetables and you dip the kebabs into the eggplant/yogurt mixture.    https://www.thespruceeats.com/ali-nazik-kebabs-3274272

200747666_alinazikkebab3.thumb.jpg.8065e8b222df48a903cab3de657a1b2c.jpg

This next recipe gives more suggestions on how to roast the eggplant and also uses a ground lamb.  https://www.turkeysforlife.com/2020/04/ali-nazik-kebab-recipe.html

1102806271_alinazikkebab5.jpg.687c6ef01e862adbc220013f09619ae8.jpg

Prayers for all who need them, especially Ukraine and our Daily family members in need.   Cheers to those who are celebrating, even if it is just getting the laundry folded.   I know what an accomplishment that can be!   Wishing you all a wonderful day.

Wow.

Your meals always look delicious Debbie 😋.

Graham

• Like 13

🌺🌺🌺

Good morning from San Francisco! We have a 1:30 flight to San Diego so chilling here at hotel.
Well what a experience we had on Ruby. Over 120 plus passengers were in quarantine and left in 3 school buses to a hotel. I am not familiar with Princess but one that is in UK has over 160 with it.  
To make our experience even worse we waited in a place called Explorer Lounge for our 9:30 disembarkation and was on my phone, when called to leave and finally waiting for UBER went to my purse to text our daughter AND NO PHONE! Long story short had Princess reps try their hardest to get help on board 😪 outcome not good so 3 hours later being at the terminal we left. I called ATT to block phone so tomorrow I need to get a new phone. ( This is not life or death, but it was just not a good end to our vacation)

Loved our beginning cruise with Oceania! On my I PAD and till I get my phone just know I am home!

🌺Denise

• Like 13
  • Thanks 15

15 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

The visual disturbance sounds like an Occular migraine Sandi especially if it is both eyes.

Flashing zig zag lines and if you look at a word some of the middle letters are missing.

I have experienced this several times and closing my eyes and lying down for 20-30 minutes normally cures it.

They are supposed to be harmless so I hope your eye appointment confirms your symptoms are harmless.

Thank you Graham.  You confirm something my twin told me.  She said she and our brother have optic or ocular migraines but she doesn't have the headache.  I don't either.  So I suppose that's what they will diagnose with me, too.  It's impossible to read when the center part of the word is a flashing "light".  

I hope Pauline is feeling much better now.  I'm sure you're taking very good care of her!

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ottahand7 said:

@aliaschiefI hope that you feel better soon.  I think you must be on the NS since you are at HMC.   The In Room Dining sandwiches are the best.  They have the best bakery so the bread is luscious.  Happy you could stay in your NS.  Prayers for all on Roy's care list. Prayers for Ukraine.   🙏 @kazu I had to clear out all of late husband's office in order to move from MD to MI.   I didn't have the ability to trash everything because I took over his job  remotely managing a 144 unit apartment complex.  Thank goodness the partners decided to sell right before COVID.  What a blessing not having to deal with all of the delinquencies.   

Retreat cabana hot tub NS.   

Cabana Hot tub.jpg

We are on the Rotterdam and your right Nieuw Statendam is also at Half Moon.

We we’re not able to stay in our Neptune and we’re moved to deck five isolation cabin with balcony. A little too hot to use right now but I do step catch some rays and hopefully kill some viruses! This our view of the day of Half Moon in the distance and our sister ship Statendam along side of us.

Life is sort of good as SIL still tested negative and can enjoy our Suite and her cruise. She is obviously being overly protective of others.

image.thumb.jpeg.81e690390813936ce685e3576b7e1615.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.aa1333eab5cbbf4cbbcf4af468318b5a.jpeg

Edited by aliaschief
  • Like 27
  • Thanks 3

2 minutes ago, DeeniEncinitas said:

🌺🌺🌺

Good morning from San Francisco! We have a 1:30 flight to San Diego so chilling here at hotel.
Well what a experience we had on Ruby. Over 120 plus passengers were in quarantine and left in 3 school buses to a hotel. I am not familiar with Princess but one that is in UK has over 160 with it.  
To make our experience even worse we waited in a place called Explorer Lounge for our 9:30 disembarkation and was on my phone, when called to leave and finally waiting for UBER went to my purse to text our daughter AND NO PHONE! Long story short had Princess reps try their hardest to get help on board 😪 outcome not good so 3 hours later being at the terminal we left. I called ATT to block phone so tomorrow I need to get a new phone. ( This is not life or death, but it was just not a good end to our vacation)

Loved our beginning cruise with Oceania! On my I PAD and till I get my phone just know I am home!

🌺Denise

I'm sorry you had a less than stellar final cruise Denise.  And the cherry on the cake was losing your phone.  I hope things get back to normal soon!

• Like 17

Good Morning All,

We were supposed to get rain starting around 11p last night, but so far, nothing. NOTHING.  The weather app now says it’s supposed to start around 9:00 am. It’s supposed to get heavy with downpours and hail, so I covered my passion fruit vines. (They got shredded last time and are still recovering.)

@StLouisCruisers I was going to say the same as @grapau27. Hope it’s just that. Does the light show persist when you close your eyes?

I’ve been having that for the past 30+ years, on and off. It seems pretty random, but for me, the only trigger I’ve identified is bright harsh light (like some unshielded LEDs.) Only rarely do I get a headache (usually half my head) or “foggy brain” afterwards. 

Now to get to packing for this weekend.

Have a great day everyone!

Edited by TiogaCruiser
  • Like 23

12 minutes ago, TiogaCruiser said:

Good Morning All,

We were supposed to get rain starting around 11p last night, but so far, nothing. NOTHING.  The weather app now says it’s supposed to start around 9:00 am. It’s supposed to get heavy with downpours and hail, so I covered my passion fruit vines. (They got shredded last time and are still recovering.)

@StLouisCruisers I was going to say the same as @grapau27. Hope it’s just that. Does the light show persist when you close your eyes?

I’ve been having that for the past 30+ years, on and off. It seems pretty random, but for me, the only trigger I’ve identified is bright harsh light (like some unshielded LEDs.) Only rarely do I get a headache (usually half my head) or “foggy brain” afterwards. 

I have also had the same thing  for about the last five years.It was diagnosed  as ocular migraine as well.I find the  zig zag lines rather interesting  now since I at least know what it is.Good luck at the ophthalmologist. 

• Like 18

2 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

I still recall fondly being asked over and over to read the same book to one of my grandsons. 

This is one of my favorite children's book.  A story you don't mind hearing over and over.

Also, for our Alaskan friends, it's Seward's Day a legal holiday in Alaska. It commemorates the signing of the Alaska Purchase treaty on March 30, 1867, named for then-Secretary of State William H. Seward, who negotiated the purchase from Russia. 

• Like 21
  • Thanks 4

46 minutes ago, TiogaCruiser said:

Good Morning All,

You asked about the light show persisting when I closed my eyes?  Yes, it does.  The first time I noticed the light show it moved from the center of my eyesight to the right side after about 20 minutes.  Several times they lasted about 20 minutes.  Now I don't even time them anymore.  And I sure hope I don't get any headaches over half my head!  I already have half my head being NUMB!🤪

• Like 12
  • Thanks 5

Good morning all!

We're having a cloudy day, mid 50's F.  I'll take it!  Yesterday I worked along the side of the house moving a fern so we can put the A/C unit there when the company comes in June.  Doing it now was so much easier when the soil is soft and moist.  I hope the fern lives, but if not at least it isn't a favorite plant.  Most ferns are a dime a dozen here.  Today I hope to get more done in the back yard.

I've respected every cat I've ever met 😉  We still have a basket of children's picture books for the grandsons, and I would love to have a hot tub of my own, but wouldn't want the expense and work of the upkeep.

Will pass on the red wine, the drink and meal sound good.  I like lamb, but would probably cut back on the spices some.  Have not been to Kiel.  The only port we've been to in Germany was Warnemünde and we took a tour to Berlin.

• Like 22

13 minutes ago, 0106 said:

This is one of my favorite children's book.  A story you don't mind hearing over and over.

Also, for our Alaskan friends, it's Seward's Day a legal holiday in Alaska. It commemorates the signing of the Alaska Purchase treaty on March 30, 1867, named for then-Secretary of State William H. Seward, who negotiated the purchase from Russia. 

That was a great book!  It brings tears to my eyes.😢

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

👍Thank you for The Daily, Rich @richwmnand to Roy @rafinmdfor keeping the Care and Celebration Lists.

Finally, come sprinkles here--much needed.

🛳️News just mentioned the Ruby Princess with Covid passengers disembarking in SF.

🙏Prayers for all our Daily Family in quarantine on ships, others in need and to the Ukraine people and refugees. 🙏

Katie

20220328_081037.jpg

• Like 22

Good morning. Thanks for the Daily.

A strike out on days for me. No cat here, or children's picture books (although I enjoyed them as a kid), and not a fan of hot tubs. Interesting quote.

I'll pass on the meal (don't like eggplant). The drink and the wine sound good.

I've been to Germany several times on land trips, but not to Kiel/Hamburg. Thanks for the pictures.

Snowing again today! Since it's been cold a few days, it stuck to the roads this time, but there's only an inch or so. No work in the alley today; I was hoping they'd start the paving, so it can be over and done. I'm finally feeling back to my usual self today, after the booster shot on Saturday. I called the dentist's office this morning; they are making a new crown and will call when it's ready to be placed.

@kazu Prayers for Jose and you.

@aliaschief Prayers for you and Sue to improve quickly. I'm glad SIL is still negative.

@smitty34877 I hope the pulmonologist feels Tana is improved or stable. Is she done with the antibiotics?

@mamaofami Fingers crossed that the new aide is finally a good one again.

@StLouisCruisers Sorry to hear of the eye issues. It sounds a little like something a friend had, and she was diagnosed with ocular migraines (there is no headache with it). She said it was scary at first, thinking she was having a stroke. I hope you get an answer. Continued prayers for Jen and Buddy.

@DeeniEncinitas I'm glad you're home. Sorry about the phone. I was reading the thread on the outbreak on Ruby Princess. 

Prayers for the Care List and Cheers for the Celebration List. Extra prayers for Ukraine.

Stay safe everyone, and well.

Edited by JazzyV
  • Like 21
  • Thanks 1

Anyone want to see a few photos of Hamburg?

Hamburg was a nice place to visit in 2017, too.  We did some scenic cruising along the Elbe River as we approached Hamburg.  Somehow they even found the werewithal to make a beach on the river.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKeAiGxuyYkJxAnAUdu5KMr?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1497891285

Nearing the city center 00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJP3r-IbbwWj6FXb-_Bshyw?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1497891311

This SUV atop two shipping containers caught my eye.  How did it get up there?  Crane?00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIRFc5jB8vgBW8Ot5b_tKvf?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1497891305

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKLp4yYLIWOel6fCQgwr1Dd?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1497891335

The Louisiana Star would appear to be a long way from home.  I'm guessing it's not really from the Bayou.  00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJ06sNirhxE5a626FUreBNs?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1497891343

A unique building with a whole lot of people enjoying the balcony.  00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJJsAoqjnTBbOAvAeFgyipT?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1497891362

On Sundays like this everyone must spend their day together with family and friends.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKQfO0AGvKoZZQGRSe5TbF0?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1497891390

We were docked there overnight so on Monday we went for a walk around town and stopped at a botanical garden in Hamburg.

I noticed a fancy doorway on a church (for my door people).00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJiz_d97thDeyPpKv-AYSMs?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1497891493

We continued on and saw an actor taping a scene00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIV0YtOVc1smMuxa5oAS6zs?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1497891503

The impressive Town Hall.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIIiDMWUm7KDkKh3RJy8Vec?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1497891518

Next we came upon Alster Lakes in the middle of the city00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLk9KOaFk1FYDhGrpIzFN2Z?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1497891547

The botanical garden was quite large but the flowering plants were fairly ordinary.  I've seen some great botanical parks in my travels so this one wouldn't compare.  However, it was nice to find a calming spot to stroll.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVK34n3ZhjUruwRCb2Pv5Orm?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1497891578

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJxRtIqAKwgTSdHKG3Ic7Ly?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1497891594

There were a couple of greenhouses as well.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLehZk08-hVoac0U9Q5Y1ww?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1497891903

This greenhouse had a more desert landscape.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLTgIOVWvwM1LdfueyFLiVz?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1497891976

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIGeWLmXALiI6q00N666dax?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1497892030

Going back to the ship we passed by the bridge of love.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJCSmukK7JrWT76DaunTzec?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1497892204

We came right by the Philharmonic building which is where all the people were standing on the balcony the day before.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJ_kcZ6zbmJUsDTx56lDYtH?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1497892187

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVK0pnqedmOBFhaIiGj50_-b?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1497892191

Our little home00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJMbF7lm3BBZo_oCn-cZHNc?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1497892236

A few hours later we were visited by an oompah band!00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKqLv-xTvnHCdHyRyLqj49r?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1497892243

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVI1eXGG0IpYVlcKVp_Ni4Gc?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1497892268

Where else would you rather be?  Nowhere!00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVK8JvEYNjHDkLBVqSi4I7zu?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1497892288

• Like 26
  • Thanks 9

4 hours ago, kazu said:

The purge continues in Jose’s office.  (His office was sacrosanct - It was a job he was going to do when he retired - now, it has fallen to me).  Two more boxes of recycling paper & another huge leaf bag of shredded paper (and lots more to go).  So far, I have sent 5 bags of shredded paper and 7 boxes of paper to recycling.  I keep thinking if he came home he would not be happy but barring a miracle, that won’t be happening.

Thanks, Jacqui, for the reminder that we should all get our stuff sorted, weeded, and purged while we are able. My DW mentioned to me just yesterday that we should go over how to access all of our assets in case something happened to one of us. Of course, if something happened to both of us at the same time we would need to make that information available to our dear daughter.

I know I don't want to leave a mess for anyone else to have to deal with, but my follow-through on getting things in order is lacking.

• Like 22

Good afternoon all, I hope everyone is having a great day.I respect all my cats , since they rule the house❤️
      Not much going on , just waiting for a snow squall to start, Wind chill is 15 degrees😱

. I noticed on PEV schedule that QM2 will be joining Eurodam on Wednesday for the day.

Blessings and prayers to all on our lists.❤️🙏🎉

• Like 18

4 hours ago, aliaschief said:

Awaiting breakfast which is late so hopefully that happens. Our early coffee’s arrived promptly on time. Haven’t much of an appetite this morning.

Do you still have your senses of taste and smell?

• Like 12

Well, our sunny blue skies were replaced with an impromptu blizzard about the time I was ready to leave for the pool.   It wasn't too bad, just a little slick in places on my street.  Main roads were fine.  Blizzard was over by the time I got there and it is gone from my driveway now.  It is a cold one today. Temp now is 21F.   It will get better tomorrow.  

No cats or kids books here, but I did my duty as an aunt and read books to my nieces and nephews.  They loved them.  I remember Michael sitting quietly one evening while we read 22 books.  He is a reader to this day.   I go to the hot tub every day after my pool workout.  That is my reward.   I tried the thalassotherapy pool on the Nieuw Amsterdam last fall and it was ok, but I wouldn't spend the money on it again.  It was just too crowded most of the time.

3 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Wow.

Your meals always look delicious Debbie 😋.

Graham

Thank you, Graham!   I think it looks good, but I'm not sure how I'd like it.  I'd give the eggplant part a try as I love eggplant and if it is grilled or roasted it would have a great flavor.  I might sub some chicken in for the lamb as I'm not a big lamb fan.

3 hours ago, DeeniEncinitas said:

🌺🌺🌺

🌺Denise

I'm so sorry.   That cruise sounds like a disaster with so many contracting COVID.  As much as people don't want it, I think the mask relaxation was a bit too soon.  We still have Omicron 2 to deal with.  

@smitty34877 You guys certainly deserve a rest.  Enjoy the lasagna.  

@aliaschief Continued wishes for a mild case and quick recovery.

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

Good morning and thanks all!  The lamb dish sounds yummy!   The book the quote is from is really good,  it was a gift to me when I retired and I got to read it on a Greek beach.  Enjoying the photos of Hamburg and Kiel,  my father sailed out of there to Canada. 

@Horizon chaser I had a strange experience with smoked salmon,  can eat it any other way and I’m fine.   Allergies are so strange. 

@StLouisCruisersi had a similar experience a month ago,  my doctor and opthamolgist got me in the same day,  and I was diagnosed with an ocular migraine.  Who knew? Learn so much from the daily.  I did have a slight headache on the opposite side,  there is a small correlation with a stroke so glad you’re getting it assessed.   I am trying to avoid bright light triggers.  

@kazu cleaning Jose’s office must be so hard, I really need to do this too.   Hard to let go of things you worked so hard on for years.  I think I should just have a big bonfire!  

saw our new great great nephew,  such joy to see a new little life! 

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 20

Keil is primarily a port city and not really a tourist destination.While Hamburg is readily visited from right downtown, Kiel provides accessibility probably for some Baltic cruises.  It sits at the end of the Kiel Fjord and serves a lot of Baltic ferries as well as I'm sure transfer of a lot of cargo from ships transiting the Kiel Canal (exit is probably 5-10 miles up the fjord).  I visited Kiel in May 2019 after disembarking Nieuw Statendam and transferring to Queen Victoria for Southampton and then New York (on QM2). 

My train from Amsterdam arrived at a big town square with my hotel on the opposite edge:

kielhbf.jpg

A number of large passengers come all the way up the fjord to the center of town:

ferries.jpg

Here's a map of central Kiel with the center of town at the bottom and the cruise terminal at the top.  It's about a mile distance:

kielmap.jpg

My free day I walked to the cruise terminal to check it out:

ostseekai.jpg

And the main street of Kiel:

kielcentral.jpg

On that walk I felt a bit like a time machine since I passed a "Woolworths".  I boarded QV the following day.  Seeing as the Cunard portion was beginning I was attuned to one little piece of history sitting in Kel.  It's one of QE2's original propellers from her time as a steamship.  The conversion to diesel power was done in Bremerhaven so I'm not quite sure why the prop ended up in Kiel but it did.  Standing on end like this it was probably about 7 or 8 feet tall:

qe2prop.jpg

Roy

• Like 23
  • Thanks 8

Good morning from the Koningsdam anchored off Avalon.  It is 61F, cloudy, foggy, and raining.  The swells are too big to safely tender, and with the visibility coming and going, it would be impossible at times for those on the bridge to see the tenders all the time.  In his 8 am announcement the Captain hoped the conditions would improve, but so far it's not looking likely.  I'm glad we made it onshore Friday afternoon.  Now, the fog is thick enough for the horn to be blowing.

When we had cats, we respected them as they expected. 🐈 🐈‍⬛  Since we don't have any grandchildren, we no longer have any children's picture books.  We had plenty of them when the DDs were little.  It's been years since we were in a hot tub on a BHB.

I don't like today’s quote.  We'll pass on the meal, but the drink and the wine sound nice.

We have not been to Kiel, but we've been through the Kiel Canal and to Hamburg a couple of times on the Prinsendam.

@kazu  Jacqui, I understand about tackling Jose’s office.  It is a daunting task.  The last two summers, we've worked on our office,  thinning files and organizing the cabinets.  Thanks for the laughs with the memes.

@smitty34877  Terry, I hope Tana gets a good report from the pulmonoligist, and that he finds her stable or 🤞 improved.

@mamaofami  Carol, I hope the new aide works out.  You and Sam deserve a break.

@ger_77  Gerry, I hope your DH gets a good report from the retinologist today.

@DeeniEncinitas Denise, I'm sorry your Princess cruise was not good.  We've been on Princess many times, and while HAL is our favorite, we've enjoyed our Princess cruises.  You would think that after their experiences in 2020 with Covid, they would have been more on top of things.  I wish they would reinstate the masks required protocol. I'm sorry about your phone.

@StLouisCruisers  Sandi, I hope the eye doctor does not find anything serious.

Yesterday really proved again what a family the Daily has become.  At the 4 and 5 star reception yesterday  we met @Vict0riann Ann and Pat and @AV8rix Susan,  and it was like meeting friends we hadn't seen for awhile.  As Ann said, it felt like we knew each other.  At happy hour today, we'll add @Live4cruises Nicholas and Robin to the "family reunion".

Lenda

• Like 26
  • Thanks 1