Last straw on Cut backs

Tablelamp

32 minutes ago, Cathygh said:

On the subject ot towels, yes I confess I do like a clean towel in the eveing but I'm on holiday and I want to be looked after better than I loo after my self at home maybe? 

No I don't change my towels daily but it's so much easier to do that now with our electric eating washing machines and driers. My grandmother (and my mother and even myself in my youth) had to wash by hand so washing  towels every day was never going to happen. I'd be surprised if she had more than 1 or 2 towels. She got her first washing machine when she was 80 and then my mother inherited it. It saved us from the long weekly walk to the lauderette, suitcase (remember the old heavy ones now classed as 'vintage'?) in hand , struggling to carry the family's weekly wash. There was no way we could carry more than 1 towel per person, along with bedding ( flanalette sheets!) Enough of the good old days, eh? Now we just have first world problems. 

Yes, when I was little, my mum had a copper, a dolly-board and a stand-alone manual wringer... I can recall when she eventually got a twin-tub washing machine and spin-drier.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

Is this addressed at me as it was my original question ? If so case of mistaken identity  I never commented about your answer corporate or not.  I am a little surprised if it is intended for me, particularly as I chose not to comment on your answer...

Don’t think so, I was the one quoted. I was rather surprised at the tone used in response to your post. However, it’s so good to know that P&O pour over feedback and at least ‘consider’ it. Whether or not they act on it, of course, is a different matter. We’ll have to trust them on that! 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Ardennais said:

Don’t think so, I was the one quoted. I was rather surprised at the tone used in response to your post. However, it’s so good to know that P&O pour over feedback and at least ‘consider’ it. Whether or not they act on it, of course, is a different matter. We’ll have to trust them on that! 

Thank you. I found the response to you quite upsetting to be truthful. As it referred to "you weren't given" I thought in fairness I should ask as it was my original post that started the whole scenario.

I can't help but assume there are some nerves jangling in Southampton and maybe we accidentally hit a raw one.  

I think it may be time for me to take a rest from the boards and once again my apologies to you.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Thank you. I found the response to you quite upsetting to be truthful. As it referred to "you weren't given" I thought in fairness I should ask as it was my original post that started the whole scenario.

I can't help but assume there are some nerves jangling in Southampton and maybe we accidentally hit a raw one.  

I think it may be time for me to take a rest from the boards and once again my apologies to you.

Please don’t leave! You certainly have nothing to apologise for! I also found the response baffling and I think you’re right about jangling nerves! 
I actually spent some time researching cruises over the weekend as I’m almost ready to possibly book a 7 nighter. P&O are usually my first port of call - we’ve always enjoyed our cruises with them. Who knows what we’ll do, but I don’t like the vibes from that direction at the moment! 

• Like 2

On 3/30/2022 at 10:55 AM, Tablelamp said:

I have stayed loyal to P and O for very many years and have seen many cut backs. I now find they have completely overstepped the mark as they will not even serve fresh coffee in your cabin for breakfast.  And this whilst charging £2.50 for cabin service.  Does anybody have any comments?  Also, I understand that there is no turn down service.  Although I have a 45 night cruise booked for March 2023, I think I may cancel this and not cruise with p and o again.

This seems a little harsh perhaps in the current climate?

The breakfast room service menu that you leave outside the cabin each night with your choices makes it very clear what they are providing now. Based on our 32 night Aurora cruise, the staff were run off their feet trying to cover restaurants and buffets each morning (bearing in mind reduced numbers due to some isolating), so to try and deliver fresh coffee with room service is perhaps just unrealistic at the present time. The good thing is, with the cabin tea and coffee station, we could pack our own favourites from home and make our own each morning.

We personally felt the cabin service breakfast was too restricted, so we chose to go and eat at the buffet each morning. This enabled us to select our own breakfast time -and give us a 4 hour window (7-11)

As to the turn down service with chocolates  again, due covid, we were actually pleased not to have anyone entering our cabin more than absolutely necessary and we were quite happy to turn our own beds down. Our steward did a great job. There were enough calories onboard, so we were happy to avoid the pillow chocolates🤣

We booked 2 more cruises with P&O whilst onboard Aurora, one of those 65 days in 2024. We are very comfortable that P&O will continue to deliver a well priced and fair service, based on the difficult environment that all cruise and travel companies continue to endure.  

• Like 8

3 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

I’ve always found it useful to step back from forums for a little while - sometimes I need a rest from it all !

If you do decide to step back for a while, I definitely understand why, but I hope you won’t be away too long, as I always find your posts a valued contribution 

• Like 11

5 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

Many of us like your posts on a regular basis so please stay and give us the benefit of your knowledge.

Graham.

• Like 8

I think someone needs to start a "how many times do/should you use a bath towel" thread! 😂

I shower every day, even though I WFH, but because of that I put my towel on the radiator and use it multiple times for sure. Doesn't compromise my best bits! 😉

So no turn down or swapping of towels doesn't worry me. 🙂

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BillieJeanKaraokeKing said:

I think someone needs to start a "how many times do/should you use a bath towel" thread! 😂

I shower every day, even though I WFH, but because of that I put my towel on the radiator and use it multiple times for sure. Doesn't compromise my best bits! 😉

Ha! I don’t think there’s a definitive answer but as I said, a doctor advised my husband to use a fresh one every day to minimise infection following a bad case of Cellulitis. I change mine every other day. 

10 hours ago, BillieJeanKaraokeKing said:

I’m a dry day we put our towels on the line to dry the sunlight also being useful in killing off any unwanted guests on the towels. There seems to very few reasons for replacing towels on a daily basis whilst at home. On board Ship maybe after every couple of days, perhaps the ship designers need to think of adding one these new revolutionary heated towel rails into bathrooms. 😬

• Like 2

After owning various touring caravans for over thirty odd years, the amount of people you see drying there towels after using the shower blocks is amazing, I never realized how unhygienic those people was, oops we are those people.

• Haha 2

cc7a6ac09a676698284f7cd38bf8d345.jpg.6472556677d102aecbe3086789fb8912.jpg

Amazing how you see these signs in hotels and ships .This company use the 

words " As you would at home "  The Mrs doesn't take kindly to me dumping my 

used towel on our bathroom floor , she said I was being lazy ,I did refer to the part

that  say's by doing this "I am using less energy".:classic_smile:

Not all these sticker or cards read the same, some we have read tell me more or less

the same  but " I am saving the planet " Now I'm all for this as I happen to live on this one !

But , there is always one ! What would happen if I didn't reuse a towel ? :classic_unsure: I dared myself 

to use a towel only once and ended up with a very sleepless night wondering if  I had done

the right thing . Experiment over and my conclusion is .. If you want to change your towel 

or even reuse it then do so .it's not the end of the world :classic_smile:

Must dash Mrs K said "I've got to pick all my old towels up off the bathroom  floor ":classic_mellow:

Take care and stay hygienic everyone .:classic_smile:

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, kalos said:

used towel on our bathroom floor , she said I was being lazy ,I did refer to the part

Not all these sticker or cards read the same, some we have read tell me more or less

the same  but " I am saving the planet " Now I'm all for this as I happen to live on this one !

But , there is always one ! What would happen if I didn't reuse a towel ? :classic_unsure: I dared myself 

to use a towel only once and ended up with a very sleepless night wondering if  I had done

the right thing . Experiment over and my conclusion is .. If you want to change your towel 

Must dash Mrs K said "I've got to pick all my old towels up off the bathroom  floor ":classic_mellow:

That's why you shouldn't use holiday Inn to many unhygienic guests keep reusing there towels, oops we are those people

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Snow Hill said:

I’m a dry day we put our towels on the line to dry the sunlight also being useful in killing off any unwanted guests on the towels. There seems to very few reasons for replacing towels on a daily basis whilst at home. On board Ship maybe after every couple of days, perhaps the ship designers need to think of adding one these new revolutionary heated towel rails into bathrooms. 😬

Any type of decent towel rail space would be a great advantage in any cruise ship cabin or hotel room in our opinion.  At home we have enough towel rails to spread the towels out to dry before we use them a second time.  Otherwise it is, admittedly, far less appealing to re use a towel that remains wet and will also have been more.likely to be have cultured germs.

What always annoys us a lot is if the room staff move our towels, so we do not know which one was used by each of us, since we never use the same towel, which is something I learnt not to do as a student nurse - different towels also being used for face and body.  Yet re - using the same towel by the same person, was not looked upon as a problem.  If our towels are mixed up in such a way, we immediately demand clean ones, from reception if room staff are not available.

59 minutes ago, tring said:

Any type of decent towel rail space would be a great advantage in any cruise ship cabin or hotel room in our opinion.  At home we have enough towel rails to spread the towels out to dry before we use them a second time.  Otherwise it is, admittedly, far less appealing to re use a towel that remains wet and will also have been more.likely to be have cultured germs.

What always annoys us a lot is if the room staff move our towels, so we do not know which one was used by each of us, since we never use the same towel, which is something I learnt not to do as a student nurse - different towels also being used for face and body.  Yet re - using the same towel by the same person, was not looked upon as a problem.  If our towels are mixed up in such a way, we immediately demand clean ones, from reception if room staff are not available

After being married for close on forty years I think I can trust my beloved not to infect me something nasty, isn't that right dear err why are you laughing

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

16 hours ago, yorkshirephil said:

Maybe we need to be careful what we wish for. Hopefully P&O haven't already thought of this.

paper towels cartoon

Or perhaps very large hot air dryers where we have to do a little dance in front of it each day getting out the shower 😀

2 hours ago, tring said:

What always annoys us a lot is if the room staff move our towels, so we do not know which one was used by each of us, since we never use the same towel, which is something I learnt not to do as a student nurse - different towels also being used for face and body.  Yet re - using the same towel by the same person, was not looked upon as a problem.  If our towels are mixed up in such a way, we immediately demand clean ones, from reception if room staff are not available.

I actually find that quite annoying as well when they mix the towels up. We normally put mine over the towel rail and husbands over the washing line in shower and leave light on so fan stays on, hopefully to help dry them a bit.  When we come back from breakfast we normally find 2 wet towels folded neatly and put back on the rail. Occasionally they do realise that we don’t want wet towels folded and leave them as we left them.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, tring said:

We hang our towels on the rails in the bathroom or the hangers on the bathroom door, and by morning they are fully dry, never known them to be even a little damp.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, kalos said:

Yes but what they always miss off the bottom of the notice which should really be at the top as its the most important to them is "it saves them money".

• Like 2

10 hours ago, tring said:

I agree. We all have different coloured towels at home to make sure that we stick to our own ones. As I’ve said, there are medical reasons for not sharing towels. 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I’m on ARVIA now in the Caribbean having done the same trip on the same ship as I did last year. The ship is lovely as are the crew onboard and we are really enjoying it to the point that we have booked three more cruises with P & O for the next two years. I do feel that the accountants have been sharpening there pencils and cutting back where they can. Is this spoiling my cruise ? No. Do I still consider P & O good value for money considering what you get and the number of islands you get to visit on one trip in glorious sunshine and warmth when it’s raining at home? Yes absolutely. Each time we cruise we meet a lot of cruising first timers the vast majority of which want to do it again. So whilst accepting the genuine complaints above I think we’d all miss cruising and what it has to offer if it suddenly didn’t exist. Let’s be grateful for what we’ve got.

• Like 5

13 hours ago, Russyboy said:

I’m on ARVIA now in the Caribbean having done the same trip on the same ship as I did last year. The ship is lovely as are the crew onboard and we are really enjoying it to the point that we have booked three more cruises with P & O for the next two years. I do feel that the accountants have been sharpening there pencils and cutting back where they can. Is this spoiling my cruise ? No. Do I still consider P & O good value for money considering what you get and the number of islands you get to visit on one trip in glorious sunshine and warmth when it’s raining at home? Yes absolutely. Each time we cruise we meet a lot of cruising first timers the vast majority of which want to do it again. So whilst accepting the genuine complaints above I think we’d all miss cruising and what it has to offer if it suddenly didn’t exist. Let’s be grateful for what we’ve got.

Yes. It's still incredible value for money compared to other land based holidays 

And whilst that's the case more people than ever before will continue to choose to enjoy holidays with P and O cruises

Some older people will understandably prefer smaller ships and will be prepared to pay more to cruise In them

But P and O continue to get more right than wrong IMO

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

Yes. It's still incredible value for money compared to other land based holidays 

And whilst that's the case more people than ever before will continue to choose to enjoy holidays with P and O cruises

Some older people will understandably prefer smaller ships and will be prepared to pay more to cruise In them

But P and O continue to get more right than wrong IMO

We had a week in Menorca in October. About £700pp for a week in a 4* AI hotel in a Premier sea view room. P&O are quite good value, but incredible is a bit of an exaggeration. Our hotel didn't have inside rooms without windows. As a 74 year old who likes big, modern ships, I find your comment about older people an incredible generalisation.

• Like 3