Covid Testing for Alaska Cruises

stevenr597

I have read that although Princess requires a negative Covid Antigen Test 72 hours prior to boarding.

However, if there is a stop in Canada, one must have a negative antigen test 24 hours prior to boarding.

We are scheduled to cruise on the Discovery Princess, July 10-18 out of Seattle Washington.  We will be arriving in Seattle on July 8th.  The cruise does have a stop in Victoria Canada, and in addition, one tour that we have booked goes from Alaska into Canada.

Where would it be best to obtain the necessary Covid Testing?

Thanks for help and suggestions. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, bmc alabama said:

If we choose NOT to get off the ship in Victoria, do we still have to fill out the ArriveCAN?

I "think" it only applies if you want to "enter" Canada but I don't know how they define "enter". You will be on the ship and the ship will definitely "enter" Canada. I would suggest checking out the ArriveCAN site I linked and researching the question further.

5 minutes ago, EDDY0827 said:

I doubt that you will be able to board without complying with ArriveCAN.

You may well be correct. It will be incumbent on the OP to do the research to verify if this is the case. It would be tragic to be denied boarding. We never used to have to do this stuff but, now that it has been implemented, I doubt it will ever go back to the way it was before.

1 hour ago, bmc alabama said:

If we choose NOT to get off the ship in Victoria, do we still have to fill out the ArriveCAN?

Yes, required to board the ship

15 minutes ago, Wavesprite said:

Exactly, so why all the questions on here of what is required? 

Hard to find on desktop website? Easy to find when looking on smartphone 

Edited by Ombud
  • Thanks 1

Such a hassle.  We aren’t getting off the ship in Victoria.  Seems silly that they would want to track me when I won’t be there.  Would have been so much nicer to just have the PVSA extended one more year to avoid this.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Wavesprite said:

Exactly, so why all the questions on here of what is required? 

Because some people don't read the requirements but trust a nebulous "someone" on an internet site to give them the correct answer.  I will never understand why someone would risk thousands of dollars using advice obtained in this way.  The cruise lines don't care what your were told on FB, CC etc.  They will follow what is printed on their website.  Questions of this sort should be process/clarification questions IMHO

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

I also agree we should read the guidance. I have done so, and downloaded the ArriveCanada app. I am embarking in the US (Anchorage/Whittier), will hopefully be 'visiting' Canada when we are in Skagaway (White Pass RR booked) and then disembarking in YVR/Canada. So am I entering into Canada by 'marine' based on the cruise, or entering by 'land' since the tour in Skagaway will be my first entry to Canada? Or do I have to report 2 entries? It is not intuitive.  Cruising mid-May, hoping someone will report on this experience before then. 

Edited by Buckeye10640
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Buckeye10640 said:

I also agree we should read the guidance. I have done so, and downloaded the ArriveCanada app. I am embarking in the US (Anchorage/Whittier), will hopefully be 'visiting' Canada when we are in Skagaway (White Pass RR booked) and then disembarking in YVR/Canada. So am I entering into Canada by 'marine' based on the cruise, or entering by 'land' since the tour in Skagaway will be my first entry to Canada? Or do I have to report 2 entries? It is not intuitive.  Cruising mid-May, hoping someone will report on this experience before then. 

I am doing the same and am thinking 2 COVID tests may be required in that case as well. 

5 hours ago, bmc alabama said:

Such a hassle.  We aren’t getting off the ship in Victoria.  Seems silly that they would want to track me when I won’t be there.  Would have been so much nicer to just have the PVSA extended one more year to avoid this.

let’s say- you “ don’t expect to “ be getting off the ship in Canada.  

Anyone completing ArriveCan information, can you comment on what you are putting for Quarantine plan? Also, do you have to do the website ArriveCan and also the app? It is confusing.

6 minutes ago, erber said:

Anyone completing ArriveCan information, can you comment on what you are putting for Quarantine plan? Also, do you have to do the website ArriveCan and also the app? It is confusing.

My husband called Canada to speak to someone about this because he's going fishing there in June.  He'll be staying at a remote cabin.  He was told he just needed to list an address that had food, water and shelter.  I would think the ship would qualify. 

I believe that the ship tests you AFTER you disembark and then is supposed to make quarantine arrangements with a location in Vancouver if I am looking at Canada's requirements correctly. So I guess that is what I will write down. Our cruise isn't until June 1 so we have time to see what other passengers' experiences are with all these requirements. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Torfamm said:

I am doing the same and am thinking 2 COVID tests may be required in that case as well. 

According to the ArriveCan website, as of April 1st, pre-entry testing is no longer required for fully vaccinated travellers. It does mention that you may be randomly selected for an arrival test upon entry when arriving by air or land. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, palolake said:

My husband called Canada to speak to someone about this because he's going fishing there in June.  He'll be staying at a remote cabin.  He was told he just needed to list an address that had food, water and shelter.  I would think the ship would qualify. 

Thank you for the info. I've been stressing a bit over the quarantine plan requirement. We sail on May 11 out of Vancouver. 

I was panicking when I initially thought if you are tested after disembarking you are ON YOUR OWN and have to develop your own quarantine plan. But, I am reassured by what I found on Princess website regarding this issue. Of course if U.S. drops its international testing requirement to fly back to U.S. then this issues "goes away" (we are returning to U.S.). 

38 minutes ago, erber said:

I was panicking when I initially thought if you are tested after disembarking you are ON YOUR OWN and have to develop your own quarantine plan. But, I am reassured by what I found on Princess website regarding this issue. Of course if U.S. drops its international testing requirement to fly back to U.S. then this issues "goes away" (we are returning to U.S.). 

We have been feeling the same way. Our cruise is late May so hoping testing is dropped to re enter USA.We had planned on testing before we left ship just to be sure.

I am hopeful the requirement will be dropped as many other countries are dropping testing to reenter their countries. But, we shall see. We are bringing covid tests with us to test as well. 

• Like 1