Cancelled arrivals and departures from Brisbane

There would have  been approximately  504 cruise ships departures and arrivals cancelled from Brisbane's new International Terminal / Hamilton Port / Tangaloom Anchorage. This is according to the Brisbane cruise calendar  from the 19th September 2020 when cruising was supposed to start from the new Brisbane terminal until hopefully the start of cruising on the 2nd of June 2022. That is a lot of money lost.

John.

On 4/5/2022 at 1:46 PM, JohnGc said:

There would have  been approximately  504 cruise ships departures and arrivals cancelled from Brisbane's new International Terminal / Hamilton Port / Tangaloom Anchorage. This is according to the Brisbane cruise calendar  from the 19th September 2020 when cruising was supposed to start from the new Brisbane terminal until hopefully the start of cruising on the 2nd of June 2022. That is a lot of money lost.

John.

Fingers crossed we don't have any more cancellations now that we all have cruises booked again.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, joejoe 59 said:

Fingers crossed we don't have any more cancellations now that we all have cruises booked again.

You will see a grown man cry if that happens.  I wonder if there will be a cellabration when they open the new terminal seeing it was a disaster when it was finished.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I'd hate to think what the number of Sydney cancellations would be.

Yes,  if that is just Brisbane cancellations I reckon to add up the Sydney cancellations would wear your calculator out. I can't imagine the amount of money lost when you consider all involved in the cruise industry. 

Not being Mr Doom and Gloom, but imagine if the first cruise out of Sydney or Brisbane comes back with a few hundred sick pax from the lurgy?  Can you imagine the aftermath and drama ?  And the impact on the industry?

Scary, but possible.

Edited by NSWP

12 hours ago, JohnGc said:

You will see a grown man cry if that happens.  I wonder if there will be a cellabration when they open the new terminal seeing it was a disaster when it was finished.

Do you mean that the disaster of the pandemic hit, or that the new terminal was a disaster when it was finished?

50 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

Do you mean that the disaster of the pandemic hit, or that the new terminal was a disaster when it was finished?

Definitely the pandemic. I think the new terminal will be great. I love cruising from Sydney but there will be a big saving for  Queenslanders with no airfares plus my wife and daughter do not have to worry about luggage weight & can pack a bit more ( clothes & shoes that they will not use )  in their case. So looking forward to our cruise  from the new terminal. Might even take a tour of the sewage works ha ha.

Cheers John.

1 hour ago, NSWP said:

Not being Mr Doom and Gloom, but imagine if the first cruise out of Sydney or Brisbane comes back with a few hundred sick pax from the lurgy?  Can you imagine the aftermath and drama ?  And the impact on the industry?

Scary, but possible.

Here is the goss. The first cruises are short domestic ones. Given all pax are vaxxed and tested negative prior to boarding, it is extremely unlikely there will be an uncontrolled outbreak aboard within 4 days. Anyone unlucky enough to catch it aboard is likely to be back home before testing positive. Being domestic and technically not leaving Australia, it is unclear whether there will even be testing prior to disembarking.

As ships restarted in the US, most had a green status for the first few cruises. Eventually, someone negative prior to boarding becomes infectious, spreads to the crew, then they are managing cases cruise by cruise. No ships made it to red status, although Royal voluntarily parked a couple of ships to prevent that happening. Ruby was unlucky in a sense - they were on a longer cruise, and visited a foreign port which rrequired extra testing.

Covid is in your local shopping centre, your local RSL, schools, workplaces etc. Of course covid will be on our ships, and I can handle that as long as people aren't getting sick. 

Yes, there will be headlines, but the onus is on the cruise to control any outbreak, not eliminate the possibility of one happening. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, arxcards said:

Here is the goss. The first cruises are short domestic ones. Given all pax are vaxxed and tested negative prior to boarding, it is extremely unlikely there will be an uncontrolled outbreak aboard within 4 days. Anyone unlucky enough to catch it aboard is likely to be back home before testing positive. Being domestic and technically not leaving Australia, it is unclear whether there will even be testing prior to disembarking.

That was my thought when I saw that the first cruises were only short domestic ones where there wouldn't be a chance of a wide-spread outbreak on board. We have booked a seven-day one (I think it is the third cruise) and hope COVID isn't a problem.

23 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

That was my thought when I saw that the first cruises were only short domestic ones where there wouldn't be a chance of a wide-spread outbreak on board. We have booked a seven-day one (I think it is the third cruise) and hope COVID isn't a problem.

We all hope for that. 

I just hope the media is OK with "covid managed" and are not going front page on single digit infections that were likely contracted pre-cruise. 

1 minute ago, arxcards said:

We all hope for that. 

I just hope the media is OK with "covid managed" and are not going front page on single digit infections that were likely contracted pre-cruise. 

The media will take whatever stance they think will get them the highest ratings. The days of responsible reporting are long gone, I fear, but would be very happy to be proven wrong.

8 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

The media will take whatever stance they think will get them the highest ratings. The days of responsible reporting are long gone, I fear, but would be very happy to be proven wrong.

At a "journos" meeting yesterday, they were heard to be practising terms for their upcoming headlines.

It is spelled Petri, not pea tree,

All stories must refer in detail to Ruby Princess,

Say that everyone aboard has potentially been exposed,

Mention that Dominic is letting it rip even more,

Focus the camera on the ambulance at the wharf,  but don't mention the broken leg,

Ask the departing passengers if any of them had a bad time.

Etc

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

34 minutes ago, arxcards said:

At a "journos" meeting yesterday, they were heard to be practising terms for their upcoming headlines.

It is spelled Petri, not pea tree,

All stories must refer in detail to Ruby Princess,

Say that everyone aboard has potentially been exposed,

Mention that Dominic is letting it rip even more,

Focus the camera on the ambulance at the wharf,  but don't mention the broken leg,

Ask the departing passengers if any of them had a bad time.

Etc

Haha Geoff, I havent been around here for a while, but good to see you back🥰

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, cheznandy said:

Haha Geoff, I havent been around here for a while, but good to see you back🥰

Likewise Chez,

To think, we were both meant to christen the new terminal coming in from Carnival Spirit in Oct 2020.

Do you have anything booked?

1 hour ago, arxcards said:

Likewise Chez,

To think, we were both meant to christen the new terminal coming in from Carnival Spirit in Oct 2020.

Do you have anything booked?

I know😢

Booked a couple of 3 nighter's on Pacific Adventure and Carnival Spirit, not ready to gamble our precious annual leave on being quarantined in cabin. Waiting to see how they handle things here Downunder.

Looking forward to getting back to the South pacific Islands in the future but nothing further than that for a couple of years.

xx

• Like 1

3 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

as they say "he who pays the piper calls the tune". At first the media saw the ratings opportunity in negativity around cruising and so that was their angle.

More recently I suggest the cruiselines are spending up big in advertising as evidenced by the ads being shown, & perhaps a few freebies,  and now newfound positivity around cruiseships has appeared in the media.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

.... We have booked a seven-day one (I think it is the third cruise) and hope COVID isn't a problem.

It's the fourth cruise back I believe.
16th (3 nights to nowhere), 19th (4 nights to Airlie Beach), 23rd (another 3 nighter), then ours. 

• Like 1