Have to Cancel 1st Alaska Cruise - No Passports With Minors

Tean94

We're devastated. We won't get our passports back in time for our Alaska Cruise, which we just found out is required to have because we are going with our teenaged kids. Princess requires a Passport for everyone when traveling with minors.  We didn't expedite our applications either because we didn't know about this policy of Princess.  We figured having their Birth Certificates and ID for 17 yr old would be enough. NOPE!  UGH!!! And now we have to give up $250 of our refund to cancel.  Sad times!

Tell them you want to use Cruise with Confidence Policy- Covid concerns. And you can cancel before 30 days prior to sailing for FCC to use in a future sailing.  It shows a cancellation fee but you get it back as a FCC.

read in princess website 

• Like 1

At one time, it was taking longer to get my passport. We called and were able to pay the expedited fee over the phone and they did get our passports to us.

This was several years ago - I don't know the current back log on passports right now.

• Like 2

I'm sorry but, this is such an American thing.

I just don't understand what the hang up is getting kids passports at an early age??

As Coral said, call and pony up extra $ to get your teenage kids passports expedited. That passport may be the best gift you ever gave them. It's a key to open up the world for them 🙂

• Like 9

19 minutes ago, AZjohn said:

I just don't understand what the hang up is getting kids passports at an early age??

As Coral said, call and pony up extra $ to get your teenage kids passports expedited. That passport may be the best gift you ever gave them. It's a key to open up the world for them 🙂

I think I went from "taking 4-5 more weeks" to getting it within days by giving them my credit card to expedite it. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, AZjohn said:

Passports are expensive and only last for 5 years for minors 16 and under. So unless a trip is planned, it's pointless to get them one. Most Americans haven't even visited every state, much less left the country. No idea why.

But I agree. Call and pay the extra $ to expedite the application.

We took a last minute Alaskan cruise several years ago that required us to get our kids passports within days. We applied in person and showed our itinerary indicating we needed to be expidited and were able to pick up the passports within 3 days. I think it cost an extra $60 per person. That was nothing compared to the last minute flight costs into Seattle in July. 😉

Look and see if you can apply in person.

• Like 1

From the Princess web site. It seems to indicate that if minors are traveling with only one adult then they require a passport. I think it infers that if there are two or more adults then the rule does not apply. I would check into this.

PASSPORT REQUIREMENT WHEN MINORS TRAVEL WITH ONE ADULT ON VOYAGES GOVERNED BY THE U.S. WESTERN HEMISPHERE TRAVEL INITIATIVE (includes travel within BERMUDA, CANADA, CARIBBEAN, HAWAII, MEXICO, UNITED STATES) When minors are traveling with only one adult 21 years of age or older, Princess requires that all guests must be in possession of a valid passport. We have implemented this requirement because we want to ensure that your party remains together should an emergency arise that requires one or more in your party to be disembarked in a non-U.S. port. We cannot guarantee that all members of your party will be allowed to disembark with just a WHTI-compliant document or birth certificate. Failure to present a valid passport for all guests traveling together will result in denial of boarding without refund of the cruise or cruisetour fare.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, hapster85 said:

Most Americans haven't even visited every state, much less left the country.

I haven't visited every state, not even close.  I've visited nearly as many countries as states.

For the fun of it... counting airplane stops... I've been to New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Maryland, Georgia, Florida, Kentucky, Tennessee, Arkansas, Texas, Missouri, Michigan, Indiana, Ohio, Illinois, Minnesota, Colorado, Utah, Nevada, Arizona, California, and Hawaii.  That's it.  There are a few that I might have stopped by when I was little, or did a very quick stop that I can't recall.  But not enough to get me to half the states in the current Union.  I'd be surprised if more than 2% of U.S. citizens have been to every state.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Tean94 said:

We're devastated. We won't get our passports back in time for our Alaska Cruise, which we just found out is required to have because we are going with our teenaged kids. Princess requires a Passport for everyone when traveling with minors.  We didn't expedite our applications either because we didn't know about this policy of Princess.  We figured having their Birth Certificates and ID for 17 yr old would be enough. NOPE!  UGH!!! And now we have to give up $250 of our refund to cancel.  Sad times!

I know of many people who have had theirs expedited. I hope you will look into it or use the "Cruise with Confidence" as has also been mentioned.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Honolulu Blue said:

I haven't visited every state, not even close.  I've visited nearly as many countries as states.

For the fun of it... counting airplane stops... I've been to New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Maryland, Georgia, Florida, Kentucky, Tennessee, Arkansas, Texas, Missouri, Michigan, Indiana, Ohio, Illinois, Minnesota, Colorado, Utah, Nevada, Arizona, California, and Hawaii.  That's it.  There are a few that I might have stopped by when I was little, or did a very quick stop that I can't recall.  But not enough to get me to half the states in the current Union.  I'd be surprised if more than 2% of U.S. citizens have been to every state.

Stuck on 49.  Still looking for a reason to get to North Dakota

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Had a lady who was only missing North Dakota on an excursion we took. At the end her and her husband were driving from excursion end in Rapid City SD to ND to complete her visits.  She said she had spent at least one night in 49 and just needed ND so why not.

22 minutes ago, wheezedr said:

Stuck on 49.  Still looking for a reason to get to North Dakota

8 minutes ago, Potstech said:

Had a lady who was only missing North Dakota on an excursion we took. At the end her and her husband were driving from excursion end in Rapid City SD to ND to complete her visits.  She said she had spent at least one night in 49 and just needed ND so why not.

I've always been fascinated by the modern oil boomtown of Williston.  Not enough to schedule a visit there, though.

I found another state I've been to - Mississippi.  That gets me to, what, 22?

11 hours ago, Tean94 said:

We're on a late June Alaska trip, Seattle to Seattle, on Princess. At first we were told our 17 year old grandson would need a passport, but after reading the "fine print" of requirements, both my daughter and I were told by two separate people that he can travel with original birth certificate and drivers license. It evidently makes a difference that he will be traveling with more than one adult (in our case three adults with four children). Double check.

• Like 2

That's odd.  Have you talked directly to Princess' passport department?  Does it start in a US port and end in a US port?  I am taking my three (15, 12, and 9), and they said all we needed was certified birth certificates.  I would call them, the number is 1-800-419-1744.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, sunshineocean13 said:

It evidently makes a difference that he will be traveling with more than one adult (in our case three adults with four children). Double check.

Correct!  I forgot about that.  You must have at least two adults in your party, otherwise everyone is required to have a passport.

6 hours ago, sunshineocean13 said:

We're on a late June Alaska trip, Seattle to Seattle, on Princess. At first we were told our 17 year old grandson would need a passport, but after reading the "fine print" of requirements, both my daughter and I were told by two separate people that he can travel with original birth certificate and drivers license. It evidently makes a difference that he will be traveling with more than one adult (in our case three adults with four children). Double check.

Thank you for that information!  I also was told by another Princess planner that since it's a "closed-loop" trip, passports wouldn't be required.  Not sure I believe her, but with what you're saying, with two adults, I'm feeling more confident that we'll be fine to go with BC's and IDs.  I also called the State Department and they said once they receive our Passport applications, we can call them and request to expedite their processing, and that they are ahead of their posted schedules.  So I'm much more hopeful now.

Thanks!

• Like 8

9 hours ago, skynight said:

From the Princess web site. It seems to indicate that if minors are traveling with only one adult then they require a passport. I think it infers that if there are two or more adults then the rule does not apply. I would check into this.

PASSPORT REQUIREMENT WHEN MINORS TRAVEL WITH ONE ADULT ON VOYAGES GOVERNED BY THE U.S. WESTERN HEMISPHERE TRAVEL INITIATIVE (includes travel within BERMUDA, CANADA, CARIBBEAN, HAWAII, MEXICO, UNITED STATES) When minors are traveling with only one adult 21 years of age or older, Princess requires that all guests must be in possession of a valid passport. We have implemented this requirement because we want to ensure that your party remains together should an emergency arise that requires one or more in your party to be disembarked in a non-U.S. port. We cannot guarantee that all members of your party will be allowed to disembark with just a WHTI-compliant document or birth certificate. Failure to present a valid passport for all guests traveling together will result in denial of boarding without refund of the cruise or cruisetour fare.

I noticed that too, that this seems to only apply if only one adult is traveling.  Since we'll have two and it's a "closed-loop" trip, I was told by another Princess employee that we'll be fine.  So I'm much more hopeful today!  🙂

Kelly

• Like 4

8 hours ago, nini said:

I know of many people who have had theirs expedited. I hope you will look into it or use the "Cruise with Confidence" as has also been mentioned.

We didn't do them as expedited, but I called the State Department and once they get our passport applications, we can call and pay to have them expedited.  We did also pay for the standard travel insurance.

Kelly

• Like 2

5 hours ago, INeedAMaiTai said:

That's odd.  Have you talked directly to Princess' passport department?  Does it start in a US port and end in a US port?  I am taking my three (15, 12, and 9), and they said all we needed was certified birth certificates.  I would call them, the number is 1-800-419-1744.

I did talk to another employee today that said because it's a "closed-loop" trip, Seattle to Seattle, that we'd be find with BCs and IDs.  So I guess we'll find out for sure when we go to board.  LOL!

Kelly

• Like 2

You can get a same day passport from State.  Not easy, but absolutely possible.

It's going to take all day and require a lot of driving and/or a plane ride, but definitely possible.

Edited by Mike07
  • Like 1