Baltic itinerary changed AGAIN

LindaJ+

Less than 4 weeks out.  Cancelled Latvia, Estonia, Finland.  Added Oslo and a couple small towns in Sweden

St. Petersburg was cancelled before ... OK, special circumstances.  Are they anticipating a Russian attack on the Baltics?

It's like ... you sign up for a cruise that sounds interesting and had places you want to visit ... and then they can change things around any which way.  It's like ... what's the point of going on a cruise?  I certainly don't find being on the boat all that wonderful.

Tangential question:  if we paid for an excursion and they change the date we are in that port, will our reservation be automatically transfered to the new date?

33 minutes ago, LindaJ+ said:

Less than 4 weeks out.  Cancelled Latvia, Estonia, Finland.  Added Oslo and a couple small towns in Sweden

St. Petersburg was cancelled before ... OK, special circumstances.  Are they anticipating a Russian attack on the Baltics?

It's like ... you sign up for a cruise that sounds interesting and had places you want to visit ... and then they can change things around any which way.  It's like ... what's the point of going on a cruise?  I certainly don't find being on the boat all that wonderful.

Tangential question:  if we paid for an excursion and they change the date we are in that port, will our reservation be automatically transfered to the new date?

No, sadly not. We had that on another Baltic itinerary and HAL told us that they are not able to change dates of shore excursions. They are only able to cancel and you have to re book on a different date.

With everything going on in that part of the world, I'd be surprised if things didn't change. It's beyond the control of the cruise lines when world events over take the situation on the ground.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, LindaJ+ said:

No biggie for us. Been to the other ports and as long as we sail , it’s fine by us.

Gothenburg is not a “ small town in Sweden “ . Beautiful city. Visby on the island of Gotland is a popular vacation destination for Swedes so it must be something at least…

Like I said , glad the HAL is making these changes instead of canceling the whole cruise. And changing already booked shore exs, no problem either.

• Like 8

4 minutes ago, rotjeknor said:

No biggie for us. Been to the other ports and as long as we sail , it’s fine by us.

Gothenburg is not a “ small town in Sweden “ . Beautiful city. Visby on the island of Gotland is a popular vacation destination for Swedes so it must be something at least…

Like I said , glad the HAL is making these changes instead of canceling the whole cruise. And changing already booked shore exs, no problem either.

As I understand, where Rotterdam docks in Gothenburg is around 20 minutes away from town?

1 hour ago, Alphen said:

As I understand, where Rotterdam docks in Gothenburg is around 20 minutes away from town?

Not sure about HAL, but Princess provided free shuttle busses to and from town. The ships dock in an industrial port.

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Roz said:

The short answer is YES.

I seriously doubt that. Russia has enough trouble as it is in Ukraine,starting a second front would be a strange move.

Plus Finland is an EU member… I know that Russia warned Finland as well as Sweden not to become a NATO member , something both countries are considering . 
Plus the Baltic countries are already a NATO member , so attacking those would mean …..

Edited by rotjeknor
added something
  • Thanks 1

Study the history of the 20th Century regarding the "Winter War." The Soviet Union invaded Finland similar to Russia against Ukraine. Ever since then Finland has planned on the day Russia (Soviet Union) will make another attempt.

We did the Baltic cruise in 2017 and at that time, Russia was going to run their Zapad War Games in the Baltic. There was an increased presence of NATO warships (spotted a few) as well as troops on land. I would expect that would be even greater now. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Alphen said:

On the website of Gothenburg Port , there’s no mention of the Rotterdam yet. They have two cruise terminals, one is also where the ferries dock , this one is closest to town. But still a 20-25 minute walk into the center.

The other one is further out and , according to their website, a 20 minute busride.

1 hour ago, Heartgrove said:

Study the history of the 20th Century regarding the "Winter War." The Soviet Union invaded Finland similar to Russia against Ukraine. Ever since then Finland has planned on the day Russia (Soviet Union) will make another attempt.

We did the Baltic cruise in 2017 and at that time, Russia was going to run their Zapad War Games in the Baltic. There was an increased presence of NATO warships (spotted a few) as well as troops on land. I would expect that would be even greater now. 

Exactly this.

I'm very sorry to see this thread today.  I keep up email correspondence with a cousin in Finland and she is not responding to emails.  I've read about cyber attacks there and wonder if she's even getting my emails.  Or if she's just fearful of saying the wrong thing.  That these ports were dropped is very disturbing.

• Like 3

Not a surprise. Russia is willing to forfeit $600b in foreign reserves to sanctions. So, expect more violence in Ukraine. This war will drag on for a long time. Any escalation could cross the line in the sand drawn by NATO.

Anyway, these are difficult times; covid and Russia. I'd expect disruptions and cancellations. Keep safe. Don't hesitate to cancel if it doesn't feel right. ☹️

I have a cruise to Northern Norway in August. I'll likely not pay FP.

Between the Russia-Ukraine war and the unpredicably of Covid, the changes in the cruise itinerary shouldn't come as much of a surprise. I will be thankful and happy if the cruise goes without much incident. These are fun and interesting ports to visit. I have been to Gothenburg, Sweden three times and it is one of the hidden jewels of Scandinavia. The city is quite walkable and the people are some of the friendliest in Europe. Walking the Visby Old Town area is a step back in time; there are many ruins from the medieval era. Stay safe and healthy!

• Like 9

I am on this cruise as well, and am content with the change.  Hubby and I are just happy to cruise and be able to see ports that would otherwise not be on HAL's radar.  There is nothing like an adventure!

• Like 5

11 hours ago, LindaJ+ said:

you sign up for a cruise that sounds interesting and had places you want to visit ... and then they can change things around any which way. 

um, there is a war going on and innocent folks are being massacred.  I hope you are able to handle cruise ship itinerary changes.  

Also, the cruise contract states they can change/drop/add ports as they wish...War or no war. Covid or no covid. 

Enjoy the journey......sounds like a great cruise to me!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Taters said:

I am on this cruise as well, and am content with the change.  Hubby and I are just happy to cruise and be able to see ports that would otherwise not be on HAL's radar.  There is nothing like an adventure!

Completely agree ! Especially Visby looks very promising , apparently one of the best kept Northern European Hanseatic cities. Maybe we’ll run into each other in those narrow streets or maybe onboard!

• Like 1

I notice on the new itinerary the time in Warnemunde is cut from 7am-10pm to 8am-6pm.  I imagine this cuts out the possibility of a day trip to Berlin ... since it takes 3 hours each way on the train.

I think that as HAL is to all intents and purposes a US owned line, Carnival Corp would not want to put its assets any where near any danger. Unfortunately I think Russia will eventually overcome Ukraine and buoyed by this success, there may well be trouble in the Baltic area. Discretion maybe the better part of valour and these areas may be best avoided for the foreseeable future?

For those for whom the changes don’t work…..cancel. At least they gave you that option by telling you upfront. These are challenging times on many fronts……let’s just be thankful that we are  even  able to consider  totally unnecessary travel to exotic foreign countries.  I don’t know about you, but I just lucked out and got born here.  

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

I guess people haven't heard there is a war in that part of the world, soon could be a WWIII, maybe you could understand that it MIGHT be dangerous to get close to Russia right now. Cancel the damned cruise and stop complaining about a missed port and educate yourself when you call "small" cities, major and beautiful cities in that particular country.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, rotjeknor said:

On the website of Gothenburg Port , there’s no mention of the Rotterdam yet. They have two cruise terminals, one is also where the ferries dock , this one is closest to town. But still a 20-25 minute walk into the center.

The other one is further out and , according to their website, a 20 minute busride.

Rotterdam can only dock in the industrial port, she is to large to use the closer to town dock.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, rotjeknor said:

Completely agree ! Especially Visby looks very promising , apparently one of the best kept Northern European Hanseatic cities. Maybe we’ll run into each other in those narrow streets or maybe onboard!

We stopped in Visby several years ago on a Baltic cruise.  After we tendered to the island, we walked around and saw ancient ruins and beautiful gardens.  Very charming.  Hope you enjoy.

• Like 1