Testing Positive for Covid onboard Silhouette transatlantic

jetblue

41 minutes ago, micruiser2002 said:

Yes and norovirus is not as severe as covid.  They are doing what they believe is necessary to protect and take care of the passengers.  If people are concerned that they will be moved to a cabin that is not to their standards then maybe do not cruise at this time.  I really do not understand what people think the cruise line should do.

Quarantine them in a balcony cabin would be a good start, as other lines are doing.

• Like 4

I am what I guess you would call a veteran cruiser with close to 55 cruises and 110 countries.  I lived in Europe 4 years.  I was going to do a transatlantic in a couple of weeks but have watched all major lines.  All transatlantics have had Covid problems that I have read; some rather severe.  I have traveled since resumption of cruising but very carefully.  As far as I can tell the major lines tend to treat positives in a similar way.   Since the pandemic is still on and given the experiences I have read I decided to cancel mine . I traveled so much because I thought I would get old and sick and would have many memories; strangely enough the world got sick and so far I am doing well.   My major concern is getting positive overseas unable to return to US.   Mike 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

JetBlue - you have done an amazing job through this ‘’ major interruption “ to what you  & David expected for your Crossing & your trip. We agree with many - you should have had a balcony cabin . Celebrity has always done the best in so many ways - what really happened here? . All of us on cruise critic obviously love our cruises & all of the planning that goes into them. We come home and count the days till the next one! Hopefully you have another cruise in the very near future. 

May you both be well soon! Sail on in good health!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Gracie115 said:

Quarantine them in a balcony cabin would be a good start, as other lines are doing.

I completely agree. Quarantining passengers on deck 3 while quarantining new crew  members on

deck 6  balcony cabins was definitely not the correct plan of action! 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, micruiser2002 said:

Yes and norovirus is not as severe as covid.  They are doing what they believe is necessary to protect and take care of the passengers.  If people are concerned that they will be moved to a cabin that is not to their standards then maybe do not cruise at this time.  I really do not understand what people think the cruise line should do.

Especially since if CV hits enough people the ship will probably not be allowed to dock anyplace. And from everything written about the early ships stuck at sea- sadly glad that the ships are trying their best. 

• Like 1

On 4/15/2022 at 9:25 AM, jetblue said:

First and foremost, thank you everyone for your kind words of support and Happy Birthday messages. Really appreciate it and I figure if I had to be quarantined somewhere other than home, cruise ship is probably the second best option. The crew continue to go out of their way to look after me.

So today, we lost satellite internet coverage for about 8 hours. I assume this means we are now on the European satellite. I received another little birthday card from The Retreat team and several phone calls as well. My favorite phone call was from the bartender, Mykola, at The World Class Bar. He said he misses me (we were loyal patrons of WCB until I got sick) and he plans to celebrate my birthday as soon as I get out of isolation, I'm sure with some sort of amazing cocktail concoction.

For dinner tonight, I ordered from Blu, one of my favorite meals onboard, the Beyond Burger with the garlic and avocado spread, so good. And of course had some birthday cake for dessert.

Thanks again for coming along with me and let me know if you have any other questions.

You're an inspiration with your positivity.  I'm sorry you had Covid on your birthday and wish you a speedy recovery.  You are right, Covid-19 doesn't discriminate, my husband and I along with our two sons, 24 & 22 got Covid-19 just after Christmas and were in isolation during New Year's Eve.  We had all been double-vaxxed & I had just had my booster, my sons & I were very sick, but thankful we'd been vaccinated as I hate to think how bad we would have been without it.  You are handling this so bravely and are coping with it with much better grace than I did.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Situation on the 4/3 12 night sailing from FLL was not quite so rosy as what seems to be happening on the Silhouette. There were well over 100 cases on the room service was overwhelmed. Two individuals we knew from previous sailings were quarantined in separate cabins on deck 6. Deck 3 was completely closed off and the aft section of deck 6 was as well. 

The ship had a significant amount of Europeans onboard. They were having a blast but many of them without pointing a finger seemed to be coughing, sneezing, and blowing their noses. Considering most of them were on a 12 night holiday and had no resting restrictions to re enter Europe the urge to not get tested might have been more of a choice than not. 

Celebrity was trying their best but being understaffed they were like salmon swimming upstream. It was very evident that the staffing issues were affecting certain areas. Quite often is was required that a walk to the bar was required to get a drink which was not a huge problem. The wine sommeliers needed roller skates as there were 4 on each level of the dining room. The cabin stewards were also working from 8am till after 11pm each night to complete their service. 

7 hours ago, ace2542 said:

You do know the quarantine policy will be in place FOREVER and I mean FOREVER.  They have never lifted quarantine for noro so why lift it for this?

I was referring to the policy that requires you to move to another cabin. The noro quarantine does NOT have that requirement. And they will have to move on from the cabin shift quarantine at some point if they ever want to sell to max capacity again.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, sfaaa said:

I am done with postponing my cruises. Given COVID is constantly mutating and not going away, I doubt any further delay will make a difference.

Well, we have already seen the virus evolve to being less severe from Delta to Omicron even though it did become more contagious. The hope is that it continues to become less severe as it evolves even though it may continue to become more contagious. The common cold is very contagious but not that harmful. Here's hoping it reaches that point relatively soon. But good luck to all those who choose to cruise now. Having the chance of being bumped from a suite to being locked in an inside cabin for a week with spotty wifi is not my idea of a dream vacation. There are plenty of places here landside to visit for now without that potential penalty.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, micruiser2002 said:

Having had noro a couple times I can tell you it is as bad or worse than the average symptoms for Covid. It is the most severe thing I have ever experienced in my life. To describe the worst time I had it I literally was alternating between vomiting and diarrhea  (sometimes simultaneously) for probably four to five hours straight. And it was violent. It drains you of everything and while it comes in waves it comes on so urgently that you are afraid to leave the bathroom, so I wound up falling asleep on the bathroom floor. All of the nasty part gets out the way up front. The next day I had no energy at all. I could barely get out of bed and had to force myself to drink and eat something (soft foods only) and I slept most of the day. The day after that I was able to move about and had a little bit of an appetite but still felt like I was in a fog. The day after that it was totally gone and I felt like I'd never been sick. I have never had any cold-like illness make me feel that bad. Sorry to be graphic but please do not underestimate Noro. It can knock you for a loop. And if you have underlying health conditions it could be severe enough to put you in the hospital.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Yeah... during the sweet spot between Delta and Omicron, we cruised four times, and they were among the best ever. Two were the top two ever. We booked a whole bunch more international travel, including cruises. We are due to leave Monday for a 62 day, 17 country, 5 cruise trip. We have a 57 day, 8 country, 2 continent, 4 cruise trip starting in late July. 

These trips seemed like a good idea in October. They seem less so now. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, WonderMan3 said:

Having had noro a couple times I can tell you it is as bad or worse than the average symptoms for Covid. It is the most severe thing I have ever experienced in my life. To describe the worst time I had it I literally was alternating between vomiting and diarrhea  (sometimes simultaneously) for probably four to five hours straight. And it was violent. It drains you of everything and while it comes in waves it comes on so urgently that you are afraid to leave the bathroom, so I wound up falling asleep on the bathroom floor. All of the nasty part gets out the way up front. The next day I had no energy at all. I could barely get out of bed and had to force myself to drink and eat something (soft foods only) and I slept most of the day. The day after that I was able to move about and had a little bit of an appetite but still felt like I was in a fog. The day after that it was totally gone and I felt like I'd never been sick. I have never had any cold-like illness make me feel that bad. Sorry to be graphic but please do not underestimate Noro. It can knock you for a loop. And if you have underlying health conditions it could be severe enough to put you in the hospital.

Oof. that sucks.I'm sorry that happened to you. 

My brother was in the hospital for two days with E. coli once. It was nearly identical to what you described.

Noro ran rampant through my youngest son's intermediate school in 2017. At any given time over the last two months of school, 35-42% of students and staff were out with Noro. 

Interestingly (to me) the aforementioned obese and asthmatic brother got pretty sick at home with Covid, pre-vaccine, but has absolutely no lingering effects. His obese, non-asthmatic wife has permanent liver damage from it. We know an extremely healthy, atheletic college freshman who hasn't been able to taste or smell anything for 19 months. We knew a super healthy 24 year-old firefighter who had just been through a college fire academy, gotten hired, passed the greuling physical, completed the hiring department's academy, got Covid, and died a week later. 

I'll never be sorry I have worked hard not to contract this virus and to make sure that I am not transmitting it to others. I would like to think that we humans will try to be better about not being vectors.  I would like to think that.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 5

7 hours ago, micruiser2002 said:

probably the best they can do is then quarantine people to the cabin they are sailing in, and make sure then it includes all of their cabin mates.  I am sure people would then be upset with that.  They do have a business to run and after 2 years of no revenue I think they are all doing as much as they can.  

I can only presume the reasons why they are keeping OV cabins for quarantine is because the next cruise is nearly full and they are concerned about putting new guests into a quarantine cabin. Easier to upgrade an OV pax to balcony than downgrade balcony to OV. 

Bad luck for the guests that catch covid and have to move to OV though ☹️

I hope Celebrity extend the reimbursement of cruise monies for guests that have to quarantine 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MamaFej said:

Yeah... during the sweet spot between Delta and Omicron, we cruised four times, and they were among the best ever. Two were the top two ever. We booked a whole bunch more international travel, including cruises. We are due to leave Monday for a 62 day, 17 country, 5 cruise trip. We have a 57 day, 8 country, 2 continent, 4 cruise trip starting in late July. 

These trips seemed like a good idea in October. They seem less so now. 

Us too and back then masks were not optional. With the new contagious strains, I think it's almost unfair to let people NOT wear masks but isolate them when they catch it. 

A mask may (slightly) help you not catch it but the idea of them are to stop infected people from spreading it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, jetblue said:

Hahaha oh that's too funny. I hate that we feel like we're walking on eggshells regarding relationships, shouldn't be a thing in 2022. We're only in our 30's so 42 years of marriage would be pretty much impossible unless my husband has been lying about his age 😂

Hope you and Iain are staying healthy, I'm looking forward to my quarantine lobster tonight.

Hope you are both doing well this beautiful morning.   We have been wearing masks 100% of the Ship except when eating and drinking so hoping it helps.    This virus is so virulent that there are so many cross over case.

Let me know if you need anything ashore and we can pick it up and have it sent to your room.    Do you recall who your Butler was?

As an aside our Room Attendant was replaced last evening,   I asked the new one if something happened and he said yes but didn't know what he was just instructed to take over.   

Maybe soon, they can have a dining room and sun deck area for just covid infected people. You could be served by covid infected crew....win win all round!

That way, you still get some sort of fresh air and holiday and the crew still get paid. 

Edited by rachiem
  • Like 4

12 hours ago, wrk2cruise said:

It's nice they try to make the food look nice, but it really looks better on a plate🙂

Iain had the exact same meal and it really does look much nicer plated but when in jail you have to live with the minimalist life.

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, micruiser2002 said:

Yeah, but, these days, Covid is not as severe as Covid. 🙂

• Like 1

11 hours ago, the penguins said:

All the air is fresh now as the ship's Aircon no longer recirculates any - in one side and out the other. Yes a balcony would be more pleasant or as someone else suggested connecting rooms so you could at least wander around.

Very true.    On my walks I've seen the maintenance staff changing  the filters HEPA filters.   They are rather small about 12X15 and it appears like there is a separate filter for each rooms ventilation. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, MamaFej said:

I'm a cis-het female and so is my friend. Once at a restaurant, someone thought we were a couple. Neither one of us was remotely offended. Anyone who would be can go do something I can't say "out loud."

LOL -- The day we got married in San Francisco City hall,   My sister and Iain's 85 Year Old Aunt were sitting on a bench waiting for things  to start (4 weddings per 15 minute reservation block the Day Gay Marriage became legal in California).     A man walked by and looked over at them wearing beautiful corsages and said "Congratulations".      They both rolled on the floor laughing.

• Like 1
  • Haha 16

12 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Iain had the exact same meal and it really does look much nicer plated but when in jail you have to live with the minimalist life.

Must remember to add a plate on my packing list next month!

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

4 hours ago, WonderMan3 said:

I was referring to the policy that requires you to move to another cabin. The noro quarantine does NOT have that requirement. And they will have to move on from the cabin shift quarantine at some point if they ever want to sell to max capacity again.

But regardless of the cabin grade you are in or are moved to you will still be locked in that cabin for a 10 day period FOREVER. And eventually they stop refunding people or given people fcc to people who end up in quarantine.

3 hours ago, sgmn said:

I can only presume the reasons why they are keeping OV cabins for quarantine is because the next cruise is nearly full and they are concerned about putting new guests into a quarantine cabin. Easier to upgrade an OV pax to balcony than downgrade balcony to OV. 

Bad luck for the guests that catch covid and have to move to OV though ☹️

I hope Celebrity extend the reimbursement of cruise monies for guests that have to quarantine 

I disagree.  Since they aren't selling to capacity they should be blocking the lower level balcony rooms(ones with obstructed view come to mind) from selling rather than opting for the lowest level cabins period....insides & oceanviews for passengers who have decided to cruise during this difficult time. Those passengers are helping the industry survive and the thanks they get if they happen to catch this damn virus is to make their quarantine more difficult than it needs to be.  This is about money, nothing else.  I do understand the money crunch the lines have right now, but this is not the way to treat passengers who have chosen to cruise now with the expectation that Celebrity/Royal will be appreciative of them in their times of need. 

• Like 6