Advice for a new cruise line

9 hours ago, Kiwi Brenda said:

Boujie is used in New Zealand as well. Learnt about it from my kids (as you do) 

I have learned, on the internet of course, there is "bougie" (boo-zhee) and "boujee" (boo-gee).  Apparently, "bougie" are the pretenders.  "Boujee" are the real deal.  

Technically, I am an "OAP", but I wonder if I'm also considered a "codger" or "geezer".   Or, maybe just an "old dude".   

• Haha 2

I would say forget the BS.  When the cruise line runs a 'sale'  then make sure it is a sale. Not just a reprice/bundling  of the same old same old. 

Or a fare increase for a week, followed by a wonderful sale that brings the fare back to last weeks number.

We are at the point where we no longer bother opening the sale email or snail mail offers.

Second wish would be to forget the bundling.  Just give us the base fare, an options list, and perhaps an increasing discount for the more options we select.

Smarten up with cruise line excursions.  Who wants to pay good money to visit a trash and trinket store, a carpet store, a leather store masquerading as some local  craft emporium?  Especially when the cruise line is getting a kickback percentage on every dime the captive excursion participant happens to spend in the place. 

Ditto for the 'recommended store' list scam or the shore talks that are really shills for these recommended stores.

Edited by iancal
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, iancal said:

We are at the point where we no longer bother opening the sale email or snail mail offers.

I don't think we have ever come close to booking a cruise based on something we got in the mail.  I'm actually surprised that in the 21st century this is still a successful way to market.  Does anyone really believe those incredible two-for-one deals!  😄

Stick with Carnival, reading this thread should give you an idea of what you'll be dealing with on other lines..lol. Every time I consider another line, these forums quickly remind me why I enjoy Carnival so much and the everyday people that sail with them. Beware of cantankerous, curmudgeonly and uppity and always read the sub forums of any line you are considering. You'll quickly get a feel for the clientele they tend to attract and it isn't always pretty. Boujie/elitism seems to be a point of pride with many. Hope you find what you're looking for!  

Edited by cruisingguy007

6 hours ago, cruisingguy007 said:

Stick with Carnival, reading this thread should give you an idea of what you'll be dealing with on other lines..lol. Every time I consider another line, these forums quickly remind me why I enjoy Carnival so much and the everyday people that sail with them. Beware of cantankerous, curmudgeonly and uppity and always read the sub forums of any line you are considering. You'll quickly get a feel for the clientele they tend to attract and it isn't always pretty. Boujie/elitism seems to be a point of pride with many. Hope you find what you're looking for!  

People on vacation tend to let their hair down — I just hope you do not think that Carnival only sells passage to civilized, courteous and intelligent cruisers .

7 hours ago, cruisingguy007 said:

Beware of cantankerous, curmudgeonly and uppity and always read the sub forums of any line you are considering. You'll quickly get a feel for the clientele they tend to attract and it isn't always pretty. Boujie/elitism seems to be a point of pride with many.

How would you describe the type of person who does not enjoy Carnival but is not "cantankerous, curmudgeonly [or] uppity"?  Does such a person exist, in your view?

8 minutes ago, cruisingguy007 said:

A non-carnival cruiser. 

You just characterized some non-Carnival cruisers as "cantankerous, curmudgeonly, and uppity."  So clearly "non-carnival cruiser" is not sufficiently specific.

So, one more time, how would you describe the type of person who does not enjoy Carnival but is not "cantankerous, curmudgeonly [or] uppity"? 

Edited by baelor

17 minutes ago, baelor said:

How would you describe the type of person who does not enjoy Carnival but is not "cantankerous, curmudgeonly [or] uppity"?  Does such a person exist, in your view?

FWIW: You couldn’t give me a free Carnival cruise.

And it has little to do with the passengers.

We tried mass market cruises years ago. As is currently reported here by many disgruntled mass market cruisers, the food sucked - (starting with poor quality ingredients), bland menus, etc. Add the thundering herds of folks on what are ever-increasingly floating amusement parks AND the reality of being nickel/dimed to death and it’s easy to understand why seasoned travelers expecting good crew and space ratios, exemplary food and service, decorous dress requirements, et al. would/will gravitate to premium and luxury lines (the bottom line price of which might surprise you in a very positive way.

Again, it’s not so much about the passenger demographics as it is about the relatively poor quality of Carnival’s onboard experience.

Curmudgeonly, snooty, etc has zero to do with my avoidance of Carnival. It just boils down to finding/using  a line that meets our needs and it sure isn’t Carnival.

Don’t shoot the messenger.

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

17 hours ago, cruisingguy007 said:

Your post made me chuckle when I read it this morning. The first time I had booked a Celebrity cruise I did so having never visited the Celebrity forum here on CC. After I had booked, I started to read the posts there and was utterly shocked at how 'cantankerous, curmudgeonly and uppity' many of the posters were compared to the Royal forum that I was more used to. It was basically; 'what the heck did I just get myself into?' 😱 As it was a last minute booking, cancelling was not an option so we sucked it up and sailed on Celebrity. Bottom line was that we had a great time. Everyone we met was wonderful and not at all 'cantankerous, curmudgeonly and uppity'. 

Perhaps all those 'cantankerous, curmudgeonly and uppity' folks on CC are just playing that role because it's the internet. OK, maybe I should just confine that comment to the folks on the Celebrity forum. 😉 

Edited by DirtyDawg
  • Like 1

On 4/18/2022 at 9:12 PM, Flatbush Flyer said:

Take a look at Oceania. No “bouji.” Rather, just accomplished, cosmopolitan travelers who have worked hard for their money. 

In your attempt to not make it sound "bouji," you made it sound more boujie. This is just an awful line, that is not going to win any favor.

For all of those against the "caste system," I'm sure are the same people posting on social media all day on how people like Elon Musk being worth a lot, has ruined their lives. Worrying about what others have or get has no impact on your own enjoyment. There's people staying in rich clubs and hotels on land that you aren't allowed in, so what? Has that ruined your vacation?

I agree things like the Haven are overpriced. I understand the appeal though. An experience doesn't have to be black or white. Some people may actually enjoy luxury and privacy when they want it, and the liveliness and activities when they want them. When I stay at a Ritz or Waldorf on land, has that dictated how the rest of my stay must look?

Honestly, from what the OP has said, I would recommend giving RCL a try (vs all of those who just push their personal preference). Sounds like they enjoyed Carnival, and want some variety after 6 cruises. While Royal does have activities for kids, I would say it's unfair to paint that as their biggest downfall. They have the most activities overall for everyone. I'd also consider NCL too. I don't have enough info here that indicates they want anything more luxurious at this time.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Joebucks said:

In your attempt to not make it sound "bouji," you made it sound more boujie. This is just an awful line, that is not going to win any favor.

Being concerned about “winning favor” is a great definition of bouji (aka boujee). 
I stand by my original statement: “accomplished, cosmopolitan travelers who have worked hard for their money.” The only thing I might add is decorous and value-conscious.

FWIW:

“accomplished” means successful in whatever is their vocation and/or avocation.

“cosmopolitan” means they have experienced visits to multiple destinations. (i.e., not new to world travel).

“worked hard for their money” suggests someone who doesn’t have a “money tree” and, for whom world travel may only be a special occasion.

”decorous” means “decorous” (e.g., appropriate dress for dinner and having a polite demeanor)

”value conscious” comes back to “worked hard for their money.” Few savvy travelers who understand the “net daily cost” and the “quality quotient” of a cruise vacation would disagree that premium cruise lines like Azamara or Oceania are not value-laden.

What any of the above has to do with cantankerous, uppity or curmudgeonly behavior would escape any reasonable person without some preconceived notion of a particular cruising demographic. And concern for “wining favor” certainly suggests “preconceived notions” that you’d seldom find among the passenger demographic I cited above.

From your post, it sounds like a premium cruise line might not be a good fit for you. 

16 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Again, it’s not so much about the passenger demographics as it is about the relatively poor quality of Carnival’s onboard experience.

Curmudgeonly, snooty, etc has zero to do with my avoidance of Carnival. It just boils down to finding/using  a line that meets our needs and it sure isn’t Carnival.

Don’t shoot the messenger.

Come on. Have you read these forums? It's one thing to want a different experience or different food. It's another to openly deride a cruise line inclusive of its customers.  That's what happens around here.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, cruizergal70 said:

Come on. Have you read these forums? It's one thing to want a different experience or different food. It's another to openly deride a cruise line inclusive of its customers.  That's what happens around here.

Which is why I simply stated that the apparent quality of Carnival’s onboard experience does not appear to meet my needs or expectations. What other folks on CC need or want is of little interest to me unless they post a request requiring info that I can supply.

I've been on Carnival (it was a positive experience) and five other cruise lines. I've stayed in everything from inside cabins to a Haven penthouse. After a few dozen cruises, I have learned to avoid the very busy times that include many school children- longer cruises and transatlantics and transpacifics. Families increase the cruising population because there are usually 3-4 per cabin. 

Overall, I am just grateful to travel and see new places and experience history and culture. The ship experience isn't as important as where I am going. I also love a great bargain- my latest is an 11 night transatlantic in May for a $340 balcony. Total for my husband and myself will be $1,007 and then adding tips.

• Thanks 1

On 4/21/2022 at 3:37 PM, cruiseaholic777 said:

We love Princess. I have been on about 27 cruises and I like Princess the best. Celebrity is great, but it is an older crowd.

We love Princess too, on our 31st cruise with Princess, elite on Celebrity too but comparing the two lines, we prefer Princess.  By the way we are part of the older crowd at 75/90.  Age is a state of mind. LOL

On 4/18/2022 at 8:15 PM, englishteacher702 said:

My husband and I have cruised 6 times on Carnival.  We enjoy it, but were thinking we should try a new line.  We are early 40's no kids. We like to chill, listen to music, do activities, and comedy, not into the Vegas type shows (we are from Vegas).  Obviously dining on other lines will be more upscale from Carnival, but not looking for anything too boujie.  I really think RCL is not for us since it seems to have so many activities for kids, and that's what we are trying to avoid. I would love to travel Virgin to be completely kid free, but their itineraries for the Caribbean aren't the best. 

Recommendations?  

I think Holland America might be worth a try. Low key, not pretentious and the new class of ships have great music every night.

Take a look at Oceania. No “bouji.” Rather, just accomplished, cosmopolitan travelers who have worked hard for their money. Small ships with unusual itineraries (even in the Caribbean!) and the best food at sea. 
Peruse their forum and roll calls here on CC to get a taste of what you’d enjoy with O.

C'mon I bet that one or two of the thousands of O passengers got their money from Mom and Dad, or made theirs in crypto. 😉 A couple of my friends, who are O cruisers, did. And they are only cosmopolitan-ish. 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, DirtyDawg said:

C'mon I bet that one or two of the thousands of O passengers got their money from Mom and Dad, or made theirs in crypto. 😉 A couple of my friends, who are O cruisers, did. And they are only cosmopolitan-ish. 😁

There are “old monied” folks on every cruise line. But, given the O demographic, it ain’t crypto on their ships. 
Seriously, most of the strangers I’ve met on Oceania cruises have had very interesting stories about their professional pursuits - from educators (at every level) to restaurateurs to public safety folks (including Canadian Mounties and LAPD detectives). There’s also been many craftsmen and owners/workers of service businesses. I’ve yet to meet any “old monied” folks though I bet they’re around (unless, I expect, they’re on Regent).

4 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

There are “old monied” folks on every cruise line. But, given the O demographic, it ain’t crypto on their ships.  ...

I’ve yet to meet any “old monied” folks though I bet they’re around (unless, I expect, they’re on Regent).

One of the characteristics of "old money" (as opposed to "nouveau riche") is a disinclination to flash it.

5 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

There are “old monied” folks on every cruise line. But, given the O demographic, it ain’t crypto on their ships. 

Take a look at Oceania. No “bouji.” Rather, just accomplished, cosmopolitan travelers who have worked hard for their money. 

(my bolding)

Good to know 'old money' folks are welcome on O. My friend will be so relieved.  I guess he would be considered 'old money'.  His granddad accumulated their family wealth owning a rum logistics business in the 1930's between Canada and the U.S.  He was was afraid he wouldn't be welcomed on O any longer given your first definition. 

Edited by DirtyDawg

On 4/29/2022 at 12:03 PM, cruisingguy007 said:

On 4/29/2022 at 7:14 PM, baelor said:

As tiresome as they might be, we should take care not to paint an entire cruise line based on forum comments from what really amounts to just a few folks.   Shoot, if I did that, I would not set foot on any cruise ship.  

BTW, I wonder how many Carnival haters have actually been on Carnival.   I understand developing a perception based on forum comments.  I do that.   But some kind of go overboard verbalizing their condemnations.  

Edited by ldubs
  • Like 1

On 5/1/2022 at 3:23 PM, DirtyDawg said:

(my bolding)

Good to know 'old money' folks are welcome on O. My friend will be so relieved.  I guess he would be considered 'old money'.  His granddad accumulated their family wealth owning a rum logistics business in the 1930's between Canada and the U.S.  He was was afraid he wouldn't be welcomed on O any longer given your first definition. 

Wait, you mean I don't have to bring a copy of my bank statement!  😄😄😄

On 4/30/2022 at 6:02 AM, DirtyDawg said:

Perhaps all those 'cantankerous, curmudgeonly and uppity' folks on CC are just playing that role because it's the internet. OK, maybe I should just confine that comment to the folks on the Celebrity forum. 😉 

I thing or at least hope this is the case.  And, it isn't limited to Celebrity by any means.  

On 4/30/2022 at 6:09 AM, Joebucks said:

On 4/30/2022 at 9:51 AM, Flatbush Flyer said:

From your post, it sounds like a premium cruise line might not be a good fit for you. 

No premium line for you Joebucks - for one year!  😄