Are you thinking about cancelling your cruise?

gordylad

As we cannot have a medical discussion here, instead note that there is a very recent update on Paxlovid from the US FDA (link below).  This will likely answer some of the questions posed on this thread.  Also we need to remember that the treatment is not yet fully approved by the FDA.  Perhaps later if it reaches that approval, it might be available on cruise ships in the future.

https://www.fda.gov/drugs/news-events-human-drugs/fda-updates-paxlovid-health-care-providers

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I read in a post on another Social Media site that RCL and Celebrity have dropped Covid Testing on B2B cruises and that the quarantine cabins are being moved from OV on lower decks to balcony cabins on a higher deck for future cruises. Some who canceled over these issues may have canceled too early, if this in fact is the case.

Edited by terrydtx
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, terrydtx said:

I read in a post on another Social Media site that RCL and Celebrity have dropped Covid Testing on B2B cruises and that the quarantine cabins are being moved from OV on lower decks to balcony cabins on a higher deck for future cruises. Some who canceled over these issues may have canceled too early, if this in fact is the case.

I totally respect your opinion. Celebrity is not being transparent in the slightest. When I booked there was no mention of people quarantined in draconian cabins. I wish I could afford to walk away from $6000 plus in FCC, but like most people that isn’t the case. They have not treated their guests well at all. Frankly they should have kept the mask mandate, and we passengers should not be left in the dark as to what they will do next. 

• Like 3

Well if it is on social media it must be true, right?!.

As we have a September b2b on Reflection I would be happy to not have a test to continue with the second leg.

I will keep an eye out for confirmation from Celebrity before getting my hopes up.

2 minutes ago, Ozzmund said:

Well if it is on social media it must be true, right?!.

As we have a September b2b on Reflection I would be happy to not have a test to continue with the second leg.

I will keep an eye out for confirmation from Celebrity before getting my hopes up.

I would have been skeptical too, but the person who had his cabin moved from deck 6 to a higher deck posted a copy of his email from Celebrity and it said that 6 was going to be used for quarantining Covid passengers on their cruise. I will add he was not happy as his deck 6 cabin was an aft facing FV cabin and he was only moved to a regular AQ class balcony cabin as no FV were available on higher decks.

4 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

I would have been skeptical too, but the person who had his cabin moved from deck 6 to a higher deck posted a copy of his email from Celebrity and it said that 6 was going to be used for quarantining Covid passengers on their cruise. I will add he was not happy as his deck 6 cabin was an aft facing FV cabin and he was only moved to a regular AQ class balcony cabin as no FV were available on higher decks.

Which ship was/is this?

12 minutes ago, Ozzmund said:

Which ship was/is this?

I believe it was one of the Solstice cruises this summer, I am not 100% sure, but it was on an S class ship. And it would have been a SV cabin he lost not a FV. 

Edited by terrydtx
  • Like 1

The original questions is Are you thinking about cancelling your cruise and my post here is kinda hand in hand, but I am still iffy about booking. I was waiting until they dropped mask mandates for flying and now they have but I am still torn about whether to book a cruise or not. I like most here do not want to have to quarantine. I am wondering when they will drop covid testing pre- cruise and just go by vaccine status? I know no one knows but I feel the same way about booking as some do about cancelling. I am ready to cruise but not ready for the ordeal of all this covid stuff.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, RichYak said:

Equinox May 6 sailing in the social media post I saw.

Thanks. Was interested in which class ship this took place.

We have gotten beyond the mental concern of self-canceling cruises. Between next week and May 31, 2023, we will cruise Europe, the Caribbean, Bermuda, the Caribbean, Antarctica, Europe, in that order.  And although Covid continues to sidle about with nefarious intent, in our own minds we will feel good about how we have prepared for our next cruising chapter.

It is not without caution and awareness that we go. As best we can, we will alleviate the stress of the day thus increasing immune system response. The mind and body prefer an even keel. The closer we get to that comfortable space the better off we are. So, if the ships are going, we are going with all the positivity we can muster.     

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, Spif Barwunkel said:

We have gotten beyond the mental concern of self-canceling cruises. Between next week and May 31, 2023, we will cruise Europe, the Caribbean, Bermuda, the Caribbean, Antarctica, Europe, in that order.  And although Covid continues to sidle about with nefarious intent, in our own minds we will feel good about how we have prepared for our next cruising chapter.

It is not without caution and awareness that we go. As best we can, we will alleviate the stress of the day thus increasing immune system response. The mind and body prefer an even keel. The closer we get to that comfortable space the better off we are. So, if the ships are going, we are going with all the positivity we can muster.     

100% Agree! 

2 hours ago, mikewomb said:

I totally respect your opinion. Celebrity is not being transparent in the slightest. When I booked there was no mention of people quarantined in draconian cabins. I wish I could afford to walk away from $6000 plus in FCC, but like most people that isn’t the case. They have not treated their guests well at all. Frankly they should have kept the mask mandate, and we passengers should not be left in the dark as to what they will do next. 

Disagree with keeping the mask mandate but you are free to wear one anytime, anyplace. 

• Like 5

Nope! I have cruised 6 times since the restart and have three more scheduled this year (5/29, 9/2, and 12/18). I have self-isolated 10-14 days prior to each sailing to ensure I won't test positive on my pre-embarkation tests and hopefully minimize my risk of being quarantined onboard as well, since that would require exposure in the early days of the cruise itself in order to even have a possibility of testing positive sometime onboard. My longest cruise so far was a 14-day B2B and I definitely did have a little fear of testing positive sometime on the second leg.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, tinaincc said:

If anyone reads @bananavan story about her experience on EPIC right now and still cruises I would be surprised. It is horrific.

Celebrity has got to change this policy.

NOT horrific.  Much of her whining was self-imposed.  Her entitlement came across strongly.  "Everyone must do everything for me and my husband" attitude.  Celebrity is NOT your mother.

We have to be aware this is the "new normal."  COVID testing, restrictions for safety, altered itineraries, etc.  Celebrity *and other cruise lines) are not responsible for you catching COVID.  They are responsible for maintaining sanitary conditions so COVID does not spread.  Just off a Princess trans-Atlantic and the ship failed to follow basic protocols - until they tested passengers flying back to the US and found that about 20 percent tested positive.  Only then did they mandate masking everyone for everyone.

Edited by Ride-The-Waves
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Still not canceling our 5/16 Beyond cruise. Leaving late next week. We know the risks. Made appropriate plans for tests, etc. which were no where near as arduous as some would like to make it seem. Some people just love the drama and hysteria. I chose to plan ahead and control the things I can control and enjoy the trip...

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

Still not canceling our 5/16 Beyond cruise. Leaving late next week. We know the risks. Made appropriate plans for tests, etc. which were no where near as arduous as some would like to make it seem. Some people just love the drama and hysteria. I chose to plan ahead and control the things I can control and enjoy the trip...

Good luck!  Hope you stay out of the Red Zone!

29 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Good luck!  Hope you stay out of the Red Zone!

You can when your wear your mask properly, social distance, and frequently wash hands and use sanitizer.  New Normal requires following new rules and protocols.  We all need to get use to it.

I JUST booked a Bermuda cruise for June…before I began to read these boards. I guess I was living in my own little bubble and thought things were getting better 😝 Now I’m kicking myself!

We’ve ordered new masks and will take all necessary precautions but with all the testing requirements and how easy it now seems to pick up the virus (and be oblivious) I’m stressing out…

I’ve read that lady’s “horror story” and rather agree with the poster above, but I must say I was taken aback that her husband in quarantine had to order only from the room service menu for days on end…that is very limited. Oh well, it is what it is. I love Bermuda and haven’t been on a trip for two years…we will hope for the best and prepare for any issues. (First World problems, considering what’s going on in the world) 

2 hours ago, Ride-The-Waves said:

NOT horrific.  Much of her whining was self-imposed.  Her entitlement came across strongly.  "Everyone must do everything for me and my husband" attitude.  Celebrity is NOT your mother.

We have to be aware this is the "new normal."  COVID testing, restrictions for safety, altered itineraries, etc.  Celebrity *and other cruise lines) are not responsible for you catching COVID.  They are responsible for maintaining sanitary conditions so COVID does not spread.  Just off a Princess trans-Atlantic and the ship failed to follow basic protocols - until they tested passengers flying back to the US and found that about 20 percent tested positive.  Only then did they mandate masking everyone for everyone.

Wow that’s a little harsh for a lady who finds herself isolated and alone and in difficult circumstances. Maybe a little empathy wouldn’t go amiss.  Yes we are all responsible for our own health, but the way Celebrity are treating positive cases is truly horrific. Her husband has been quarantined with access only to room service menu, which from my recollection is not all that comprehensive. It’s covid not the bubonic plague, maybe Celebrity need to reconsider all guests needs, variety of food, exercise and fresh air being fairly basic, either in quarantine or free roaming.  If Celebrity  continue to treat guests this way, why are they surprised  that guests who feel unwell fail to report, therefore perpetuating the spread. 

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, sunlover33 said:

Wow that’s a little harsh for a lady who finds herself isolated and alone and in difficult circumstances. Maybe a little empathy wouldn’t go amiss.  Yes we are all responsible for our own health, but the way Celebrity are treating positive cases is truly horrific. Her husband has been quarantined with access only to room service menu, which from my recollection is not all that comprehensive. It’s covid not the bubonic plague, maybe Celebrity need to reconsider all guests needs, variety of food, exercise and fresh air being fairly basic, either in quarantine or free roaming.  If Celebrity  continue to treat guests this way, why are they surprised  that guests who feel unwell fail to report, therefore perpetuating the spread. 

From the several CC posts I have read from people who are, or were quarantined, the room service is available from what ever dining room you were booked in. Luminae for suites, Blu for Aqua and MDR for all other. This is not much different than pre covid being quarantined to your cabin with Norovirus. I do agree that having to give up your cabin to be quarantined in an OV or Inside cabin on deck 3 is rather over the top  and maybe unnecessary for those booked in verandah and Suites cabins.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

From the several CC posts I have read from people who are, or were quarantined, the room service is available from what ever dining room you were booked in. Luminae for suites, Blu for Aqua and MDR for all other. This is not much different than pre covid being quarantined to your cabin with Norovirus. I do agree that having to give up your cabin to be quarantined in an OV or Inside cabin on deck 3 is rather over the top  and maybe unnecessary for those booked in verandah and Suites cabins.

That was my understanding with regard to food choices too. However the OP posted that her husband has only room service menu and not dining room menu and also mentioned the lack of vegetables. I have no reason to doubt her account. 

15 minutes ago, sunlover33 said:

That was my understanding with regard to food choices too. However the OP posted that her husband has only room service menu and not dining room menu and also mentioned the lack of vegetables. I have no reason to doubt her account.

Your food choices when originally quarantined allow for all the dining options you would have access to based on your originally booked cabin. If you elect to stay on board after your original cruise ends then you are limited to only the typical room service menu.  

18 minutes ago, VitaminSea53 said:

Your food choices when originally quarantined allow for all the dining options you would have access to based on your originally booked cabin. If you elect to stay on board after your original cruise ends then you are limited to only the typical room service menu.  

Celebrity can do whatever it wants to do.  If they thought providing dining options based on the original booking would be beneficial, they would do that.  Today, following the pandemic (actually we are still in the COVID era), they are most interested in saving every cent.  Thus, horrible service and cutbacks everywhere.