Are you thinking about cancelling your cruise?

gordylad

As covid is still lurking on ships I'm wondering if people are feeling confident or not about cruising this year? We have two upcoming cruises with one in June and although we have slight reservations about going on the first one [Rome Med Cruise] we feel that we have to get back to normality again.

That doesn't remove the ongoing concerns and as we go on cruises to enjoy ourselves it was sad to hear that shows on the Apex just now are cancelled because of a crew covid breakout. So right now its still not plain sailing [pardon the pun].

5 minutes ago, gordylad said:

As covid is still lurking on ships I'm wondering if people are feeling confident or not about cruising this year? We have two upcoming cruises with one in June and although we have slight reservations about going on the first one [Rome Med Cruise] we feel that we have to get back to normality again.

That doesn't remove the ongoing concerns and as we go on cruises to enjoy ourselves it was sad to hear that shows on the Apex just now are cancelled because of a crew covid breakout. So right now its still not plain sailing [pardon the pun].

We canceled one cruise to Greece, moved it to next year. We have a Caribbean cruise in June, if it was just my husband and I going we would cancel. However it is with other family members who want to go. We will mask up since our last cruise we got Covid on. Then one in November and we will decide what to do later as time approaches. We have done 4 cruises since last year and just recently got Covid from it. Luckily we didn't get it until day we got home.

• Like 1

I do share your concerns, our next cruise is out of Civitavecchia on 13th June and whilst we have been counting the days having not cruised since the Pandemic, the apparent rise in cases is a worry. I say this as someone with several autoimmune conditions and having shielded for the best part of eighteen months.

Like you I feel the need to return to some sort of normality, hubby on the other hand does not share my views and is travelling under sufferance despite not having the health worries I have. We have a Sky suite booked, but our TA is looking into upgrades so we have more room if we decide mixing not viable when we arrive. I will just be happy with Med sunshine on the balcony.

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, B x said:

I do share your concerns, our next cruise is out of Civitavecchia on 13th June and whilst we have been counting the days having not cruised since the Pandemic, the apparent rise in cases is a worry. I say this as someone with several autoimmune conditions and having shielded for the best part of eighteen months.

Like you I feel the need to return to some sort of normality, hubby on the other hand does not share my views and is travelling under sufferance despite not having the health worries I have. We have a Sky suite booked, but our TA is looking into upgrades so we have more room if we decide mixing not viable when we arrive. I will just be happy with Med sunshine on the balcony.

Sky suites are nice, we usually book them. Good luck with your decision!

No we will not cancel.  The Covid concern will be with us for many years to come.  You are either comfortable cruising with it around or not.  Next year will not make a difference.  It will be around.  Ships will have cases.  There is no waiting for pre-pandemic normalcy.  Just keep Up To Date with vaccines or don't cruise if you are concerned.  All we can do.

• Like 20
  • Thanks 3

We debated cancelling our last 2 cruises (October 2021 & March 2022) but decided we had to get back to some type of normal. We got Covid after the March cruise but it was mild and we now have a 4th shot.  Looking forward to our December cruise. Right now, cancelling is not part of our discussion. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

No we will not cancel.  The Covid concern will be with us for many years to come.  You are either comfortable cruising with it around or not.  Next year will not make a difference.  It will be around.  Ships will have cases.  There is no waiting for pre-pandemic normalcy.  Just keep Up To Date with vaccines or don't cruise if you are concerned.  All we can do.

Some of us are already back to pre-pandemic normalcy, with cruising being no exception.  🙂

No planning on cancelling.  Looking for bargains to book MORE cruises. 

• Like 5

We have 2 cruises booked in August for Italy and Greece and will be gone from home for 34 days. We have no intention of canceling as the Greek cruise is our 5th attempt to get to Greece since the 2020 cancelations. Reality is Covid will be with us forever just as are the Flu and rhinoviruses. We all need to find ways to get back to some sense of normalcy as the mortality rates and hospitalizations from Covid continue to decline and as vaccinations and treatments rise. If you think putting off cruising until Covid goes away, you may never be on a cruise again. My wife and I are very active and in our early 70's, we only have so many prime travel years left after wasting the last two. We still have many places and things to do on our bucket lists. No matter what, I feel safer on a cruise ship than our local grocery store and I still shop for food 3 or 4 times a week.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

We cancelled a Jan. b2b because we feared being isolated due to getting covid on board. Sure enough, my husband came down with a moderate case of covid when we would have been on our third day of the cruise, had we gone. We are booked May 6 on b2b. Actually just as concerned about isolation or being denied 2nd leg of our cruises, but we are going anyway. "Damn  the torpedoes; full speed ahead"!

• Like 4

The only reason it is even crossing my mind to cancel is because after our cruise from Rome next month we are traveling to Spain to see our son. We haven’t seen him since September and miss him terribly. We have one week with him after the cruise. If for some reason we would get Covid and have to be quarantined toward the end of the cruise we would be stuck in Rome and unable to see him. If it wasn’t for that I would have no hesitation……..seeing him first isn’t an option.

• Like 4

We are doing a family land vacation with our two adult kids, their spouses and 3 grandkids to St Thomas, USVI the end of May. To enter the USVI we had to apply online for entry and upload our proof of vaccinations, our condo address and contact phone numbers without vaccinations you have to provide negative test 2 days prior to travel. After acceptance we got QR codes we have to show upon landing. Not once did any of us consider canceling this trip we planned for 2 years ago. So cruising is not the only travel that is being impacted by Covid.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MDTrip said:

Canceling due to quarantine fears and having to test to re-enter US.

That's really the issue for us and why we moved our British Isles cruise to a sailing in the Americas out of Tampa. If we got over to Europe and tested positive before our flight back to the US we'd be unable to come home and need to quarantine in a hurry in Amsterdam. We have limited PTO and additional time off work might compromise our jobs.

We're triple (DH) and quadruple (me) vaxxed. I'm not that worried about getting Covid from a health or wellness perspective. I am worried about the impact getting Covid would have on my vacation. Until the US does away with the negative test entry requirement for vaccinated folks, I think we'll be avoiding overseas travel. 

If like some here we were retired? I'd have zero issues cruising anywhere.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, terrydtx said:

We have 2 cruises booked in August for Italy and Greece and will be gone from home for 34 days. We have no intention of canceling as the Greek cruise is our 5th attempt to get to Greece since the 2020 cancelations. Reality is Covid will be with us forever just as are the Flu and rhinoviruses. We all need to find ways to get back to some sense of normalcy as the mortality rates and hospitalizations from Covid continue to decline and as vaccinations and treatments rise. If you think putting off cruising until Covid goes away, you may never be on a cruise again. My wife and I are very active and in our early 70's, we only have so many prime travel years left after wasting the last two. We still have many places and things to do on our bucket lists. No matter what, I feel safer on a cruise ship than our local grocery store and I still shop for food 3 or 4 times a week.

terrydtx your comments really echo my feelings as well.  Thanks!😀

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1