Are you thinking about cancelling your cruise?

gordylad

11 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

I have found business class and first class tickets are cheaper the farther out and economy the closer to the trip.  We primarily only fly now Business or First class. Our preferred airlines are United and Delta. Won't catch me on Southwest,  Spirit, Frontier or Jet Blue.

Agree on the won't catch me on airlines...but I have to say JetBlue has a great product in their Mint offering flights.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

Agree on the won't catch me on airlines...but I have to say JetBlue has a great product in their Mint offering flights.

Jet Blue has a very small presence here in San Antonio and only flew them once several years ago and it was a nightmare. I also am not a fan of American Airlines and living in Texas they are hard to avoid but I will fly them over my won't catch me on airlines. For international flights United works great with hubs in Houston and Newark and several flights a day to each. Delta works with connections out of Atlanta and 5 flights a day to there from SA.

Edited by terrydtx

Here is my analysis. I’ve been an engineer my entire life, and as such I’m data driven. I’m leaving next week out of Port Everglades on Equinox. For the past month or more, I’ve been active on CC as I always am before a cruise. Both Linda and I had original Covid-19 before vaccine was available. Not pleasant, but thankfully , home care only and back to normal after a few weeks. 
We are both fully vaxed and boosted. Early 70s , but still active with a few age related issues, but nothing that would keep us from cruising.., especially considering we are both life long sailors who still spend a lot of time on the water.
As for the “data”….there isn’t any reliable data out there. Official comments from RCI and CDC would lend you to believe positive rates on board less than 1% . If you are on the Celebrity board, you are hearing numbers all over the place. This board is crowded with post after post about Covid  positive cases, quarantine protocols, masks issues, etc. Many people would clearly believe it’s to much of a risk to cruise with Celebrity.

Now…let’s look at RCI. Twice the number of ships, and many ships rated some of the largest in the world. Easily twice the number of passengers as Celebrity’s ships. As one would expect, since Celebrity and RCI are managed by the same organization, Covid procedures and protocols would be the same. 
So answer this observation. Why on RCI boards, which are easily several times more active than Celebrity, is there almost no discussion of Covid on board or quarantine fears. Granted, there are threads about testing , vaccines, etc…, but that’s it. I paged back almost 15 pages, and only a few references. You would think with the passenger load so much greater than Celebrity, along with twice the number of sailings, there would be a lot of Covid related activity. 
I understand RCI has a younger crowd, especially families with children. And some of their cruises are a little shorter, but they also offer plenty of 9 to 12 day schedules just like Celebrity. 

So why the dramatic difference in Covid discussions between the two boards? I have my own observation, but I’ll keep it to myself. My analysis is…., the data out there is completely inaccurate. Neither Celebrity, RCI, or the CDC, has any factual Covid numbers that are reliable, if offered at all. 

Bottom line…I’m still sailing with appropriate precautions. Hopping to still have a safe and enjoyable cruise.

All the best my friends………..See you on the next tack !

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, terrydtx said:

I have found business class and first class tickets are cheaper the farther out and economy the closer to the trip.  We primarily only fly now Business or First class. Our preferred airlines are United and Delta. Won't catch me on Southwest,  Spirit, Frontier or Jet Blue.

I agree, as we always book early for biz class, but Celebrity Air had none to offer and still don't.  I had everything set on google, but nothing was appealing.  I then booked coach and moved to premier.  United cancelled my upgrade through CA, refunding my money.  Finally Google came through and had wonderful flights in their email.  so, I cancelled CA and booked Google through United.  My flights are gone today.

1 hour ago, runningtide said:

So answer this observation. Why on RCI boards, which are easily several times more active than Celebrity, is there almost no discussion of Covid on board or quarantine fears.

It's not just RCI. It's seemingly all other cruise line forums.

Funny you should bring this up. I just did a search using google (not CC's search tool). I searched for 2 words "covid" and "isolation" across all the cruisecritic forums for the past month. The hits are almost all from the Celebrity forum.

Screenshot 2022-04-25 155006.jpg

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, RichYak said:

Funny you should bring this up. I just did a search using google (not CC's search tool). I searched for 2 words "covid" and "isolation" across all the cruisecritic forums for the past month. The hits are almost all from the Celebrity forum.

That's partially influenced by your browser activity, not necessarily that discussion being so specific to Celebrity, although it does seem to come up here a disproportionate amount. If I search the same string I receive entirely different results. 

So answer this observation. Why on RCI boards, which are easily several times more active than Celebrity, is there almost no discussion of Covid on board or quarantine fears. Granted, there are threads about testing , vaccines, etc…, but that’s it.

Since the COVID era there is almost a panic-of-the-minute topic that gets a ton of attention. Panic spreads. A few weeks ago it was what do the charges mean on my invoice, do I have a drink package or not. Then it was the panic over the COVID 19 assistance policy, the panic of the horror of an OV cabin, next week it will be another issue...

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

Apex would probably give me pause in the next few weeks, but we just secured the May 16 Beyond sailing (partially due to very inexpensive airfare) and will be doing Reflection in September. No plans to alter any plans. 

I'm am jealous.  Congrats to you.

I looked hard at that Beyond Cruise.  Chose Alaska on RCCL Ovation instead.

As far as protocols, I do believe that while masking has been relaxed, they're starting to sell out cruises at full capacity with full vaccination required and testing protocols in place.  Can't see why they'd lift either one if they're getting back to "normal " capacities sailing.  Just another layer of protection they have for guests.

• Like 4

We did the Nov ‘21 Thanksgiving cruise with our daughter and we stayed pretty much with just us. Felt safe and it went well. As you can see below, we are booked for a full family Alaska cruise (4 SRs full) in July, a Mississippi cruise in Aug and a TA in Oct…..so I guess we feel safe enough. 

Yup, boosted up and we do take precautions and will continue depending on how COVID evolves. Trying to use common sense for ourselves, and at the same time not increase risk for others.

Because I’m a ‘data-nut’, i started a list of all our cruises, and general info on each we do. Then I started adding CC posters who I thought would be fun to meet up with and kept an eye on our roll call or their list of cruises and hoped we could meet up. But after the pandemic set in, when we had associates who were obviously not taking any precautions and coming up with all the excuses and sharing ‘the crazy’, we stepped away from them. Then seeing posters sharing the same distain for any precautions being taken, I started adding them because I would Not want to meet with or be near those who have shown no regard for a Pandemic. Not only because of health precautions, but their general character, or lack of such.

Recently, it’s helpful to see the ones who are recommending ways of cheating to not be isolated. No way I need to be near them since they are by definition, higher risk…..and lack any level of societal care. 

Just a suggestion. 

Den

• Like 5

No way we'll cancel. Been there, done that and don't want to do it again. Too much invested in planning, airfare, hotels and all the other stuff you know about. But I confess I'm spooked reading the postings from people who test positive being hustled off and locked up on Deck 3. We're Aqua Class, balcony where we can sit outside and get fresh air, comfortable room — and they'd make us go to what amounts to a cell on 3? You wonder why people with a scratchy throat won't risk getting tested? Look at what they're doing. You may think it's selfish but there's your answer.

• Like 2

Yes we thought of canceling prior to Celebrity's policy change in Covid support.

Like others we are more concerned with the effect of covid on our trip with interruption or cancelation, but itching to travel again

As for the higher risk of contracting Covid with Cruising & Travel I believe if I was as active out in the Public at home the risks would be somewhat similar...So take as many precautions as possible

We are fully Vaxed & boosted & healthy as well , that helps make us more tolerable to any increased risk 🤞

Can't wait till May 14 British Isles Apex Cruise👍

3 hours ago, runningtide said:

Here is my analysis. I’ve been an engineer my entire life, and as such I’m data driven. I’m leaving next week out of Port Everglades on Equinox. For the past month or more, I’ve been active on CC as I always am before a cruise. Both Linda and I had original Covid-19 before vaccine was available. Not pleasant, but thankfully , home care only and back to normal after a few weeks. 
We are both fully vaxed and boosted. Early 70s , but still active with a few age related issues, but nothing that would keep us from cruising.., especially considering we are both life long sailors who still spend a lot of time on the water.
As for the “data”….there isn’t any reliable data out there. Official comments from RCI and CDC would lend you to believe positive rates on board less than 1% . If you are on the Celebrity board, you are hearing numbers all over the place. This board is crowded with post after post about Covid  positive cases, quarantine protocols, masks issues, etc. Many people would clearly believe it’s to much of a risk to cruise with Celebrity.

Now…let’s look at RCI. Twice the number of ships, and many ships rated some of the largest in the world. Easily twice the number of passengers as Celebrity’s ships. As one would expect, since Celebrity and RCI are managed by the same organization, Covid procedures and protocols would be the same. 
So answer this observation. Why on RCI boards, which are easily several times more active than Celebrity, is there almost no discussion of Covid on board or quarantine fears. Granted, there are threads about testing , vaccines, etc…, but that’s it. I paged back almost 15 pages, and only a few references. You would think with the passenger load so much greater than Celebrity, along with twice the number of sailings, there would be a lot of Covid related activity. 
I understand RCI has a younger crowd, especially families with children. And some of their cruises are a little shorter, but they also offer plenty of 9 to 12 day schedules just like Celebrity. 

So why the dramatic difference in Covid discussions between the two boards? I have my own observation, but I’ll keep it to myself. My analysis is…., the data out there is completely inaccurate. Neither Celebrity, RCI, or the CDC, has any factual Covid numbers that are reliable, if offered at all. 

Bottom line…I’m still sailing with appropriate precautions. Hopping to still have a safe and enjoyable cruise.

All the best my friends………..See you on the next tack !

Good post.  We just got off the Wonder of the Seas with 5300 guests and no mention of Covid.  Have another cruise in October.  We will not live our lives in fear but would be cautious of international travel due to many uncertainties.  Also agree that any data is very suspect

• Like 2

5 hours ago, terrydtx said:

I do my own searching and we booked the air last November when the American flights were empty. Today the same FC seats on American are $2700pp. I forgot to mention the Kids and Grandkids are all flying coach. After my wife and I booked our FC tickets the price went immediately up to about $1600pp. We do a lot of traveling and I am very savvy when it comes to finding deals. The secret to good deals on airfare is to book early. My daughter and her family waited until last month to book their air to St Thomas and their economy seats cost $849pp, they were $500pp last November when we booked and when I suggested they do the same.

Totally agree, book early. Our PE seats to Rome in October are about double from what we paid for in January.

2 hours ago, RichYak said:

Screenshot 2022-04-25 155006.jpg

This has been my observation for some time. 

Edited by runningtide

8 hours ago, gordylad said:

As covid is still lurking on ships I'm wondering if people are feeling confident or not about cruising this year? 

I was on two cruises earlier this year. I thought about canceling one or the other of them, but they were both charters and weren't covered by the cruise line's refund policies. Fortunately things got better, I didn't have to cancel, and I ended up having a great time.

I never thought of canceling the cruise I'm currently on and I'm not thinking about canceling the next cruise I have in 7 weeks.

6 hours ago, TeeRick said:

There is a lot of pressure being applied to the US government from many sources (see link below) to drop entry testing for fully vaccinated (or probably Up To Date) travelers as other countries have done recently (UK, Canada, many EU countries).  IMO just a matter of time for the US to follow these other countries for international travelers. 

https://www.travelweekly.com/Travel-News/Airline-News/Travel-groups-push-to-end-Covid-entry-tests

I hope this happens as we’ve pushed out a trip to Aruba a few times now.  I don’t mind testing to get to Aruba but cannot risk being stuck there upon trying to return to the USA. 

1 hour ago, dabear said:

Totally agree, book early. Our PE seats to Rome in October are about double from what we paid for in January.

PE on our flights now costs more than what we paid for business class.

This has been my observation for some time. 

I think I recall you posting something similar a week or two ago. I agreed with you then and still do. Though I can't put my finger on the reason for the outsized covid concern on this particular board vs other cruise lines' boards.

17 minutes ago, Ipeeinthepools said:

And you can also do the exact same thing on a ship.  Just act appropriately once you know the diagnosis.  You don't need to be kept in a closet to protect others.

Not true. If Celebrity deems me to be a close contact, I MUST either submit to 2 tests and quarantine for 24 hours in between OR be considered in violation of the cruise contract.

What you write of is how protocols will be handled on board eventually. Until then, I think I'll sit out Celebrity cruises.

1 hour ago, maggieq said:

I hope this happens as we’ve pushed out a trip to Aruba a few times now.  I don’t mind testing to get to Aruba but cannot risk being stuck there upon trying to return to the USA. 

Just an FYI….there is no testing to get into Aruba

9 hours ago, RichYak said:

Not true. If Celebrity deems me to be a close contact, I MUST either submit to 2 tests and quarantine for 24 hours in between OR be considered in violation of the cruise contract.

What you write of is how protocols will be handled on board eventually. Until then, I think I'll sit out Celebrity cruises.

You're absolutely correct.  If anyone is identified as a close contact, they must follow Celebrity's rules.  However I don't sense that a lot of passengers are getting identified as close contacts since the tracelets were eliminated.  You are a lot more in control of your interactions with other cruises and can minimize your potential exposure.  Probably a good idea in any case.

5 hours ago, Ipeeinthepools said:

You're absolutely correct.  If anyone is identified as a close contact, they must follow Celebrity's rules.  However I don't sense that a lot of passengers are getting identified as close contacts since the tracelets were eliminated.  You are a lot more in control of your interactions with other cruises and can minimize your potential exposure.  Probably a good idea in any case.

There are many was to contact trace without tracelets.  Your dining table is noted each night, so adjacent tables and service crew will be noted.  If you are on a ship's excurion your bus, travel guides and fellow passengers are noted. On our Freedom of the Seas sailing in February you had to present your seapass card for scanning upon entering and exiting the buffet.  If your seapass card is scanned at a bar you can be traced to others at the same bar at the same time.  Even when your card is not scanned at the bar, you usually need to provide your stateroom number for service.  One can be as cautious as one likes, but if there is an outbreak among the crew, as there appears to be on some ships, one can easily find oneself forced to test and isolate without so much as a sniffle.

6 hours ago, Ipeeinthepools said:

However I don't sense that a lot of passengers are getting identified as close contacts since the tracelets were eliminated. 

Based on what I've read, the tracelets only played a small part of contact tracing and didn't work that well.

There was a member who reported that once she tested positive, the cruise line asked where she had spent time on the ship and used facial recognition software to determine close contacts. No card swiping required.