Anyone expecting changes to Diamond, Diamond + and Pinnacle drink vouchers?

With the recent price increase in the cruise planner for the Deluxe Beverage Package, I think it is inevitable. 

The bean counters for Royal are not going to continue to give away (give or take) 4k + drink vouchers on a typical Oasis class cruise to Diamond, Diamond + and Pinnacle C & A members.  Not sure what Royal’s solution will be, my guess is there will be a lot of unhappy high level C & A members.

I, also, believe that the price of individual drinks will be raised by at least $1 each in the very near future. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, PEBBarney said:

With the recent price increase in the cruise planner for the Deluxe Beverage Package, I think it is inevitable. 

The bean counters for Royal are not going to continue to give away (give or take) 4k + drink vouchers on a typical Oasis class cruise to Diamond, Diamond + and Pinnacle C & A members.  Not sure what Royal’s solution will be, my guess is there will be a lot of unhappy high level C & A members.

I, also, believe that the price of individual drinks will be raised by at least $1 each in the very near future. 

And that $1 will help offset all the free drinks. Plus they now have a bartender or two in the lounges, freeing up three of four in each lounge to go somewhere else.  Smaller pours, smaller glasses and filled to the top with ice will also help in cost cutting. Or they could cut the free drinks by 50 to 75% by making it a D+ and above perk. 

We shall see. We're D+ so we might try going without the package and see what it costs. We have it on our next but bought early so the price wasn't bad. The cruise after that would put us over $1000 for a 7 day so it's a little concerning.

25 minutes ago, PEBBarney said:

IMO there is  relation to what they are charging for the drink package or individual drinks to what they are giving away as perks.  The actual cost of those drinks hasn't changed and is still a fraction of what they charge

• Like 6

At the worse they will change it from 4 drinks per day to 3 for Diamond. Or 5 drinks per day to 4 per day for Diamond Plus. But I really don’t see even that happening. But even that would still be free drinks so it’s better than nothing. 

Edited by Omax4
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I agree with no changes anytime soon.  I think it would be a public relations nightmare for Royal to have offered double points for so long and then to change anything about the C and A program - whether it be levels and/or benefits.  Bait and switch comes to mind!  Katherine 

• Like 1

Maybe those drink package price increases were required to fund the C&A vouchers 🙂 

C&A benefits are always subject to change but the current approach solved the open bar issue of the DL which was a rapidly ballooning out of control problem.  The vouchers are finite and more easily accounted for.  

On a typical cruise the percent of Pinnacle is 1 to 1.5% of all CAS on board.  Giving them an extra drink is negligible as the numbers on board are very small compared to the other voucher eligible groups.  Plus these can be older members that may not drink like younger CAS members any more.  The bulk of CAS members in the voucher program are D and D+ some of who were like fishes drinking 7, 8 or 9+ open bar DL drinks daily.  By capping this subset of CAS to 4 or 5 represent a containment of costs.   

Most importantly, it tilts the playing field distinctly in Royal's favor versus the competition.  When CAS members who are D and higher start shopping for cruises, 4/5/6 free drinks is a factor for many that will cement the decision to stay loyal.  For a cruising couple that can mean saving $100+ per day when looking at some cheap fare on another line.  At the moment that is more than worth the cost of the program.  

It's also likely that on some days 4 isn't enough so a few drinks will be purchased here or there which is high margin revenue that may not be captured otherwise.   

• Like 9

22 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

If anything, I guess they could remove lounge coffee machines and force you into using vouchers for morning coffee 

This is already what I use them for. If I am lucky, 3 coffee's a day and only lose 2 vouchers. Some days, like embarkation day, I have found that I may not use any of them. 

I'm not expecting any changes.  That being said, assuming the Royal bean counters are more informed than you, and they already know that not everyone drinks alcohol and that many of the vouchers go unused.  I'd be quite surprised if they did not have an accurate total of the cost of this program.

They hopefully are also balancing its benefits when it comes to other areas like reducing the overcrowding on the lounges.  Space on the ships is a real premium.  Not to mention that the program has generally been well received by the community.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, twangster said:

Maybe those drink package price increases were required to fund the C&A vouchers 🙂 

C&A benefits are always subject to change but the current approach solved the open bar issue of the DL which was a rapidly ballooning out of control problem.  The vouchers are finite and more easily accounted for.  

On a typical cruise the percent of Pinnacle is 1 to 1.5% of all CAS on board.  Giving them an extra drink is negligible as the numbers on board are very small compared to the other voucher eligible groups.  Plus these can be older members that may not drink like younger CAS members any more.  The bulk of CAS members in the voucher program are D and D+ some of who were like fishes drinking 7, 8 or 9+ open bar DL drinks daily.  By capping this subset of CAS to 4 or 5 represent a containment of costs.   

Most importantly, it tilts the playing field distinctly in Royal's favor versus the competition.  When CAS members who are D and higher start shopping for cruises, 4/5/6 free drinks is a factor for many that will cement the decision to stay loyal.  For a cruising couple that can mean saving $100+ per day when looking at some cheap fare on another line.  At the moment that is more than worth the cost of the program.  

It's also likely that on some days 4 isn't enough so a few drinks will be purchased here or there which is high margin revenue that may not be captured otherwise.   

Also, while it varies, many drinks being consumed are about what?  Maybe $1 in cost.  So giving out $4 a day in perks is nothing.  Even with hundreds of diamonds onboard.  

And yes, many will buy some drinks here and there.   So 1-2 drinks purchase on top in a given day still makes them a nice profit margin for a given D and up cruiser.   And many D and up but the drink package anyhow.  

• Like 1

Not to be insulting, truly, but looking at some of the CC threads I have to wonder if people are just sitting around dreaming up minute and unlikely issues about which they can focus their anxiety. It’s not far from wondering if Martians will land in your backyard tomorrow - it could happen but it’s extremely unlikely.

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Margaretealexander said:

Don’t shoot the messenger but I just got off a cruise and without a doubt our drinks were very weak or watered down. Perhaps that will offset the cost. Beer and wine was as usual. Guess you can’t alter that haha

Mine were way too strong on symphony last week, let’s trade!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Margaretealexander said:

Don’t shoot the messenger but I just got off a cruise and without a doubt our drinks were very weak or watered down. Perhaps that will offset the cost. Beer and wine was as usual. Guess you can’t alter that haha

Not wanting to shoot the messenger...but seriously?

Which ship?

Did you tell the bartender your drink was weak or watered down?

* bartenders will make your drink as strong as you'd like.

6 hours ago, Margaretealexander said:

You don't know what you are drinking if you order from a venue where they make the drinks in the back room.  I go to venues where I can watch them make the pours.  Some bartenders are more generous than those who use the little shot jiggers.  

• Like 1